Romance on the High Seas

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Romance on the High Seas"?

Poor
No votes
Average
3%
Good
24%
Excellent
73%

Total votes: 63

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Re: Romance on the High Seas

Unread post by littlepinetree » 09 Jan 2009, 20:44

She sings with such emotion, she makes me cry. (in a good way) Her singing was a wonderful carry over to her acting. She's one of a kind!
I can't get the song,"I'm In Love" out of my mind! Lol! :lol:

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster » 20 Apr 2009, 07:36

Nice piece on Jack Carson, including a mention of Doris and "Romance on the High Seas":

http://fromculttoclassic.blogspot.com/2 ... arson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also:

http://jackcarson.atspace.com/film/film ... hseas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://jackcarson.atspace.com/film/film ... eling.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a difference a Day makes...

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 14 Aug 2009, 22:32

I saw a photo of Doris and Jack carson and Renee Zegweller looked so much like Doris in that photo. The beaming full face and that great smile. I know many do not like Renee compared to Doris but some photos she does resemble her.

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle » 28 Sep 2009, 18:37

Real life got in the way yesterday and I wasn't able to post my thoughts on ROTHS, but here goes... only a day late! :)

ROTHS was the first Doris movie I watched – I was 9 years of age and the BBC was showing ROTHS as part of a season of Doris films. I was hooked from the second Doris showed up on screen, peering into the window of the travel agents. To this day it’s still one of my favourites that I can watch over and over.

Firstly, I love her pairing with Jack Carson and he ranks right up there with Rock Hudson and James Garner as a favourite co-star for me. I know they dated in real life and whilst Doris sings ‘It’s Magic’ for the first time you can almost see Jack Carson falling in love with her right there on the screen.

As many of you have already said, it’s clear from the off-set that Doris is a star. Her timing in the film was spot on from the very beginning – Doris obviously had a natural talent for acting and comedy. She definitely hit the road running!

Of course, the songs in ROTHS are a big part of what makes the film so special – when I watch her sing ‘It’s Magic’, I just fall in love with her every time. It’s clear to see why she was offered a contract and why audiences fell in love with her so quickly and wholeheartedly. I also love her performance of ‘Put Em In A Box’ – her facial expressions are priceless!

Another high point in ROTHS for me is the end scene – Doris could well up with tears and hold them, even at the very beginning. And she looks stunning! Her dress is just beautiful and I love her bracelets... I’d wear them today.

I have to say that Doris seems a lot bawdier in ROTHS than she was to become – a little rougher round the edges and street-wise. We also get to see 'flirty Doris' a lot more than in any other film, IMO. I wonder if Georgia is a little closer to the real Doris in characterisation that the girl-next-door stereotype that was to become the perpetual image of Doris?

One last question for all you trivia buffs - is this the only film where we see Doris smoke? I can't think of any others offhand...

Did anyone else get chance to watch over the weekend??

Reposting this picture, because I love it so much...

Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 29 Sep 2009, 21:02

Doris smoked in Young Man With A Horn and Julie.

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Unread post by Day&MacRae » 30 Sep 2009, 08:42

She smoked in Julie? I thought she quit smoking? Or was that later? Or at least that’s what her Bio said. :?

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Sep 2009, 09:45

Yes, she smoked in "Julie", both on-screen, above, and off.

Also later, by the looks of it:

Naughty Doris! :)

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Sep 2009, 11:36

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Unread post by Day&MacRae » 30 Sep 2009, 12:53

Huh… That’s wired I could have sworn the bio said, “Together the couple (Her and Marty) gave up smoking and drinking.” There’s always something wrong! Haha! I think its kind of funny in ROTHS when there on the deck, she lights it then through it in the water. I mean I’m glad she didn’t smoke it, but she had it for two seconds. That’s always been kind of funny to me! :lol:
~Kimberly~

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Sep 2009, 13:04

I guess the important thing is that she gave it up - influenced by Christian Science, I think.

Anyway, did you all watch the film on Sunday?

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 30 Sep 2009, 13:58

webmaster wrote:I guess the important thing is that she gave it up - influenced by Christian Science, I think.

Anyway, did you all watch the film on Sunday?
Somehow I keep wondering why Samantha (Kapplehoff) stopped THROWING beautiful pictures into this forum?Was it because of criticisme on her spelling she THREW no more lovely pictures?Unfortunately I have never seen ROTHS.Still a lot to catch up on.By the way Michele ma belle,do you smoke at all?
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle » 30 Sep 2009, 15:37

Thanks for jigging my memory, Ray. I remember Doris smoking in Julie now you mention it, but not YMWAH - I'll have to watch it again.

And, Dorine, I do and I don't smoke. lol I gave up a 20 a day habit a couple of christmases ago - went cold turkey - but I have to admit to smoking if I'm on a night out or drinking. Sadly, the two seem to go hand in hand for me. I tell myself that I eat as healthily and naturally as possible, so that off-sets the smoking. :?

Kinberly, the bio are notoriously 'sketchy'. The studio tightly controlled the images of stars back in the day and smoking probably didn't fit with Doris's image as the girl next door. Wasn't it Rod Taylor who said that when he questioned Doris about her drinking some cocktail or other during the filming of Glass Bottom Boat she replied that "all that's for the fan magazines"??
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Sep 2009, 16:02

Confession: I've just given up again - only six weeks since I had a cigarette - it's quite hard. That's why I'm having such deep dreams - the one last night just went on and on, I bought loads of stuff at the supermarket and the check I had to write with I'd been using to make a roll-up, so the whole time was spent looking for more cheques and then I lost the stuff I'd bought. I woke up exhausted. Why can't they make cigarettes that are good for you! :evil:

Peter Graves was shocked when Doris drank real alcohol for a scene in The Ballad of Josie and got a bit pie-eyed after a few takes. Must be tough being 'the girl next door' - or having to live up to that image.

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle » 30 Sep 2009, 16:26

webmaster wrote:Why can't they make cigarettes that are good for you! :evil:
LOL! Exactly! I enjoy smoking, so it's a shame they're so bad for me. I smoke menthol and delude myself into thinking they're better for me than ordinary cigarettes, when the opposite is probably true! lol

And just so I'm back on topic... something I've always wondered about is how long was the time span between Doris doing her screen test and starting filming? Was she literally thrown in at the deep end? The way I've always read it is that Betty Hutton got pregnant just as filming was due to start so everything happened quickly for Doris??
Michele

Ginger Rogers

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Sep 2009, 16:51

This is something I wrote on the film's page some time ago, not sure if it answers your question but you can check out the page out for other information:

Doris and Jack Carson on the set. (Ray is this the pic where Doris reminded you of Renée Zellweger?)

Doris Day - The Reluctant Star

Doris Day, it seems, was a reluctant star when the time came to make her film debut in "Romance on the High Seas". She was already a recording star with a world hit, the million-selling "Sentimental Journey" and had worked with the likes of Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra. Aged just 23, she had also divorced a violent first husband, had a child, remarried and was preparing for a second divorce. Tired and upset she was planning to return to her hometown of Cincinnati with her small son Terry when she was persuaded to try for the role of Georgia Garrett in "Romance on the High Seas".

According to Eric Braun in his excellent book "Doris Day", she showed up for a meeting with the film's director Michael Curtis without having made any effort to wear a special dress or hairdo and burst into tears a couple of minutes into the test vocal "Embraceable You". The film score's composer Sammy Cahn took her aside and explained the director was looking for a Betty Hutton type – someone who sang and bounced around. Doris replied, "I don't bounce around – I just sing". She also told the director she wasn't sure if she wanted the part and was amazed when, preparing to leave, Curtis, impressed with her honesty and sensitivity, offered her the part!

In later life Doris revealed that she felt that during her career 'work was work' and that when she wasn't working, she didn't think about it. Having worked from her early teens, she was able to have a certain detachment. She described her retirement as an opportunity to 'play house', a chance to do the things that most women take for granted.. But that was all to come. Meanwhile, the world was about to witness the birth of a new star."
http://dorisday.net/romance_on_the_high_seas.html

Vicki M

Unread post by Vicki M » 30 Sep 2009, 19:18

My take on Doris' smoking is that she did give it up for Christian Science - until she had a couple of health scares. She did go to the doctor, thank goodness. All things in moderation.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 30 Sep 2009, 23:39

So many pictures of Renee remind me of Doris. Renee did a take on Doris and Marilyn In Chicago and Down With Love! Of course Down With Love about our gal and the flick made you feel and see what 1962 moviemaking was about and the big hits of that time. A time never to happen again which makes it so magical and Romance On The High Seas is another example of Doris's massive Star power which will never end. What will be, will be forever! :D

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Oct 2009, 06:15

True. (Ray there are many people with your name on Facebook - can you find me instead -Bryan James, avatar is Sean the Sheep!)

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 01 Oct 2009, 19:47

Bryan I can't find you on Facebook? Also how do I emal you? Says I am not authorized to view member info. Romance On The High Seas was the best intro for our Superstar!! A royal movie begining!!

littlegoldfish666
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlegoldfish666 » 20 Jan 2010, 14:50

I watched this last night for the first time and I must say, it was very enjoyable indeed. You would never have thought this was Doris's first movie. She looked like she'd been acting for years. She was such a natural :D I for one am glad she stuck at it :D

But I gotta confess, I was kinda rooting for the Piano guy (Oscar was it?) to get the girl :oops:

Ooh alll you people smoking :p I don't smoke :D Which might be a little surprising as both my mum and dad used to smoke *shrugs* Go figure :p

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 14 May 2010, 15:18

Romance on the High Seas Slideshow:

http://www.flickr.com/apps/slideshow/sh ... 0&jump_to=

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 14 May 2010, 15:57

thank you for that.Shot nr.9 to me reveals the Doris who would forever make her famous.She was just being herself.So far I never saw the movie.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Pedro
Forum Friend

Unread post by Pedro » 15 May 2010, 06:38

Dorine it's a must see ! This movie is a total delight. It's on the Warner DVD collection #2, one of my first purchases. It's the atmosphere of the late 40s, the magic of the old time cruise and of Latin America, superb music with the Page Cavanaugh Trio, and a sparkling Doris...

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan » 18 Aug 2010, 15:01

Very much a fun film with lots of comical complications.
Very cleverly done as well.
It was largely an ensemble type of movie with each one making fine contributions to the overall effect and it worked beautifully !

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 18 Oct 2010, 14:20

Pedro wrote:Dorine it's a must see ! This movie is a total delight. It's on the Warner DVD collection #2, one of my first purchases. It's the atmosphere of the late 40s, the magic of the old time cruise and of Latin America, superb music with the Page Cavanaugh Trio, and a sparkling Doris...
At last I know who Pedro is!!!The movie is a sheer delight,sparkly,the plot that turns out so easily and funny.
Very cute scene whereas Dick Carson sings along about" Woman",nice accent.
Dorine