With Six You Get Eggroll

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate With Six You Get Eggroll;?

Poor
2%
Average
7%
Good
43%
Excellent
48%

Total votes: 54

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

With Six You Get Eggroll

Unread post by webmaster »

What do you think of "With Six You Get Eggroll"?

Refresh your memory: http://www.dorisday.net/with-six-you-get-eggroll/
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Eggroll

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Lauren. This is not one of my favourites and was quite disappointed when I saw it again a few years ago after a long time. Maybe I need to see it again to really be sure? I like how Doris looks in some scenes and not at all in others. She looks so naturally sexy sitting outside the gas station drinking coffee with Brian Keith.

I liked the line in the Doris Day Show (season 2 - Doris gets a job) when they are all going out for dinner at the end of the show and Mr Nicholson asks if he can join her and Buck and the boys. Doris replies "sure, with 'five' you get eggroll" - very witty!

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Romantic...

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi there,

I like this film, not because the script is so well but there are very realistic (I hope I write that word correctly) romantic moments. Real life situations... I like that. Wish Doris played more real stuff. I think she played very well next Brian Keith.

Peter

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

I thought it was a good entertaining movie. Not at the top of my list but in the middle. Doris was excellent as always.

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Doris Dutch?

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Lauren,

I don't know if Doris father was Dutch. I don't think so. The name Kappelhoff sounds German. Kappelhof (without the last f) looks more like a Dutch word. In the late 1800's a lot of Dutch people emigrated to 'The New World' originaly (long ago in history) New York was Dutch proportie.

Doris was one of the biggest stars in The Netherlands, my country publised a lot of fan stuff: chewing gomcard, cards, photo's, magazine articles and lp's. I have collected a lot of that stuff, but Doris father is never mentioned as Dutch.

Peter...

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I liked this movie. I thought it was very funny. I did miss Doris' physical comedy. Doris had dark roots in this film, that was another thing that kinda threw me off.

This was Doris' last movie and it was successful. Most people spot Jackie Joseph and Jamie Farr, but how many of you spotted George Carlin as Herbie Flick? I laugh everytime I see this because he is so different now. There is another MASH actor in this film. Did you spot him?

I rated good.
The Doris Day Show

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

I recently bought WITH SIX YOU GET EGGROLL and love the movie...have an interview in which Doris said this was her favorite movie - to me, that makes it all the more special. For those of you in the States, it you have a Fry's Electronics, they have her movies at $9.99 - what a deal! Season 4 is due out on February 27th.

She looked fabulous - this was just before she started her TV series. Doris and Brian Keith had great chemistry - what a romantic team.

Can't wait for all the others movies to be released.

Mary Anne

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 »

Debbi Austen wrote:There is another MASH actor in this film. Did you spot him?
William Christopher

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I really like WSYGE - although some of the situations are crazy a lot of it is pretty real. Doris said she liked this movie and felt like she was playing a character close to herself. And, she was playing a character her own age. I wish she could have gone on with parts along these same lines - which I guess she did on her sitcom. Just a shame this had to be her last movie.

She was really so beautiful and natural in this movie. I love the line in the scene above - Mommy - you can grow to hate that word !! Funny !

Very enjoyable movie - although I could have done without the hippies !

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Sheila

With six you get Eggroll

Unread post by Sheila »

I really enjoyed this film. Check this out -hope it works this is the first time I have done this! :shock:

"why take a bus when you can fly ?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5GihK1aZ8

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Sheila -- Fun ! Thanks for posting that ! She was so beautiful in that scene -- in the whole movie. When I see that movie - I never like that they have her calling herself a bus ! She was a beautiful woman - much more interesting than all those kids in the scene. I know it was supposed to be funny -- but really !

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Sheila

With six you get Eggroll

Unread post by Sheila »

Yes I agree Doris is certainly a beautiful lady and not just on the outside!

Sheila

With six you get Eggroll

Unread post by Sheila »

A photograph from my favourite film. Although to be honest I can’t remember seeing Doris sweeping up during the film or of course I could be developing a short term memory problem! I’m going to have to check out the film again. Any excuse! Oh whoops….. I’ve just noticed those knee socks! :wink: (Please see the section on The Doris Day Special for the knee sock debate)

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I don't know if that was a scene cut from the movie ?? Or -- was Doris being "Nora Neat" - which is what she said the movie crews called her ??
Either way - its a really cute picture !
Yes she's wearing the knee socks again ! But - she was doing that back in the 50's - there's pictures of her around It Happened to Jane in the same type of fashion. I think she just liked it and felt comfortable in it -- and she looked cute in it too !! It was her style.

And I agree with you - this is one of my favorite Doris movies.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Sheila, that music on the YouTube clip is very Terry Melcher - I wonder if he contributed?

And the pic of Doris sweeping is from this site! http://www.dorisday.net/with_six_you_get_eggroll.html - but obviously, I didn't take it so I can't complain - sent to me by Lloyd K Jensen.

I think I'll have to get a copy.

I download a number of pics from Ebay the other night and can't remember where I saved them but as soon as I find them I think we need another "not more photos of Doris" section. :lol:

And the knee socks look fine here!

Whip Crack Away!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Bryan - I think you're right -- we need another "not more pictures of Doris" :?: section !! I'll always contribute to that !! :?

Sheila

With six you get Eggroll

Unread post by Sheila »

I love the photograph with Calico/Lord Nelson what a great big fluffy adorable dog. I love the dinner party scene in the film when it all gets very tense, the squeaky voice, the inappropriate questions, Doris looking uncomfortable, when Calico puts his paw over his ears and it brings the scene to an end – brilliant!
Bryan I downloaded the sweeping photograph from EBay, there must be a few floating about, I thought I had seen it somewhere before.

A "not more pictures of Doris" section sounds like a good idea to me!
:wink:

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

There are two scenes that really stand out for me in this movie:

One is when Brian Keith calls Doris after she’s been avoiding him to ask her out to lunch and she says she’s too busy with work [he says “is this a brush off?”, she pauses, he says I guess you got your reasons, they say goodbye]. The camera then zooms out, the dog climbs on the bed and Doris seems qutie upset, uneasy, sweeping her nose etc. This scene transmits such a strong feeling of loneliness and disapointment, something uncomfortable, if I can call it that, that makes me totally feel for her.

The other scene is when Brian shows up inexpectedly with a bottle of champagne and popcorn. They lay down by the fireplace, the camera spins, they hug. Then they’re sort of dancing while eating sandwiches. And finally, the rain. It’s truly a beautiful sequence - no dialogue at all and still so much emotion conveyed.

Even though the movie has many comic moments - and I suppose it’s listed as a comedy? – it’s these more 'dramatic' ones that have won me over. A really enjoyable movie and a pleasure to watch Doris in it.

PS: Anybody tried the Dodo pre-sleep workout? With the red-white striped pajamas and the furry slippers of course. That scene never fails to make me smile. :lol:

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Miss Maxwell, I loved your description of the film. and accompanying photos. I think you're right about the film being so much more that just a comedy. Oh Yes I always do a pre-sleep work out! only my pajamas are blue striped! :D

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Thanks Miss Maxwell - after reading your post - I was in the mood to watch WSYGE again. You're right, it is more than a comedy. It dealt with some real family situations. And Doris got to be a grown up - after a few of her recent movies I'm sure that felt good. I think she said Abby was very much like herelf.
There are so many little things about the children that are right on. For instance - the morning after they are married and Abby is talking with Stacey in the kitchen. She puts Stacey's hair to her back and pats her. The minute Abby leaves - Stacey puts her hair back the way it was. That is so true - something that a kid would do. So many real Mommy moments, too. All those little things add up to make this movie much more real.
And - Doris and Brian Keith were good together. My husband watched it with me and said several times - they really seem married - they go together.
Enjoyed watching this - so sad it was her last movie. As always - she gave a wonderful interpretation of the character.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Re: With Six You Get Eggroll

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

I love this movie. This was the first Doris Day movie I ever saw and its because of this movie I am a fan.

I love everything about it. The title sequence, her look (that red dress she decides to wear at her party is great) I loved her hair, her nightgowns and robes. There are so many good scenes.

When she comes home from work with her groceries and wig case. She is not in the best mood. She is somewhat stressed. She has to get dressed and start thinking about entertaining clients. Molly is complaining, the living room is a mess and Doris's reaction is so believable.

I love the scene where she is alone in her house, ready to go to bed and Jake rings the bell. They lie by the fire and eat popcorn and drink champagne. There is no dialogue, but I love the music during this scene. I wish that song on a CD so the next time I have a dinner party it would be playing. (I know others have mentioned it, but its a great scene)

The scene where she and Jake fight in the camper. That was a great fight. So real. And both of them were wonderful.

There were a few funny lines. I still use the term "losers and factory rejects" to describe dreary dates acquaintances. I love it when after the party, as Maxine is about to leave and Molly Maid is going on about how Abby has to go to the store and then says "Oh and..tomorrow is my day off you know" Maxine, referring to the party debris and Molly says to Abby "Listen. As a surprise why don't you leave all of this for her 'till Monday." I loved it.

Its such a cute movie and I think it was a nice way for Doris to end her movie career.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Re:

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

dayniac wrote:Sheila -- Fun ! Thanks for posting that ! She was so beautiful in that scene -- in the whole movie. When I see that movie - I never like that they have her calling herself a bus ! She was a beautiful woman - much more interesting than all those kids in the scene. I know it was supposed to be funny -- but really !

Love that picture/poster. This sounds a little silly, but that suit and hat is very pale blue. Even in the film. For some reason I always thought it was white, but it isn't.

Erica_R_Stone

Unread post by Erica_R_Stone »

For all the Doris Day aspects I like this film just fine. I think the mature chemistry between the two leads is nice and believable. I don't tend to enjoy movies from the late 60's. I'm not sure what they were doing with cameras and lighting and colors, but those whatever they were doing tended to make people look harsh. I don't know how Hollywood went from the nice color movies of the 50's to that, but ok.

The only thing that is hard for me about this movie is that Doris Day seemed tired. Her voice, body language (if you could call it that). I know she is playing a widowed mom running a business, so in essence she is supposed to be a bit tired. (maybe)

I guess also knowing that this is her last movie is a bit of a downer for the Doris Day admirer in me.
"At least mine can be solved in one bedroom!"

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Now i haven't seen this movie .... I ordered it - can't wait to get it .. so I haven't really read any of your posts as of yet - but I'm *so* wondering what the title is all about - sounds so funny to me :D :D

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

In the film one of Doris' sons refers to the fact a local chinese restuarant has a 'deal' that means when at least 6 eat there - the restuarant provides free eggroll [now what is egg roll]?

The film had several titles I believe - including 'There's a man in Mommy's Bed' - which is another line the same child says in the film.