With Six You Get Eggroll

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate With Six You Get Eggroll;?

Poor
2%
Average
7%
Good
43%
Excellent
48%

Total votes: 54

John M
Honorary Member

Re: With Six You Get Eggroll

Unread post by John M »

There's similar dialogue in Send Me No Flowers, when Rock and Doris discuss their first meeting, which was in a Chinese restaurant. He was with two friends and convinced her to join their party because with four they got so many extra dishes.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

One of my favortie scenes from Send Me No Flowers - so sweet !
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Doris Martin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Doris Martin »

Tonight I have just seen this film again.....so lovely, so natural....I love it. Marti

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

This is a great family movie and her last. I wish Doris could have made 50 more. She is just the best in everything she does.
Carol

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

I WATCHED THAT YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I *absolutely* love it - I know I've said that with many movies before but this is sooo cute - I totally fell in love with it.
I didn't know it was her last movie - so sad - she was sooooooooooo adorable in that. Everything about it is - she looked radiant (wonder though about the wig - she has such wonderful hair - why that wig ???) its wonderful that its out on DVD - the quality is SOOOO good!!!! Brian Keith and the children are really cute (if I hadn't read the girl was Barbara Hershey I wouldn't have recognised her though) The DOG was fun to - I need such a dog *lol* :D :D What a family!!!!!
The getting to know each other period was a BIT short I think ... she must have been in love with him forever and just one moment seeing again did it I guess.
I'm going to watch that over and over and over again I know it - can I say that I LOVE it one more time?? I LOVE IT!!!! :D
(I definitely need to make a new favorite movie-list ... this has to be way up up up!!)

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

Haymarketaddict wrote:I WATCHED THAT YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I *absolutely* love it - I know I've said that with many movies before but this is sooo cute - I totally fell in love with it.
I didn't know it was her last movie - so sad - she was sooooooooooo adorable in that. Everything about it is - she looked radiant (wonder though about the wig - she has such wonderful hair - why that wig ???) its wonderful that its out on DVD - the quality is SOOOO good!!!! Brian Keith and the children are really cute (if I hadn't read the girl was Barbara Hershey I wouldn't have recognised her though) The DOG was fun to - I need such a dog *lol* :D :D What a family!!!!!
The getting to know each other period was a BIT short I think ... she must have been in love with him forever and just one moment seeing again did it I guess.
I'm going to watch that over and over and over again I know it - can I say that I LOVE it one more time?? I LOVE IT!!!! :D
(I definitely need to make a new favorite movie-list ... this has to be way up up up!!)
Love it too. I think the opening credits are great. The ending, with the two dogs at the foot of the path to the new house is too cute. As for the wig..It was the style then. That and the infamous "snoode"!

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Yes the opening credits are cute - and I love the dog - wow - imagine such a HUGE dog in your bed - WOW!!! *lol* - I have never heard of a "snooze" before .. hehe... see you can also learn from Doris' movies ... :D :D :D

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I love this movie,and I think that doris and bryan make a very believable couple. They seemed USED to each other. I loved the scene where they go into the roller coster one way and come out with different people on the way out, thats pretty cute. The kids reaction is more than likely, how most kids in that situation would act. :shock: :D Doris and bryan are both such naturals..great movie
suzie

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I think that doris and bryan make a very believable couple
I bet our webmaster loves to hear that... :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist... :mrgreen:
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Haymarketaddict wrote:Yes the opening credits are cute - and I love the dog - wow - imagine such a HUGE dog in your bed - WOW!!! *lol* - I have never heard of a "snooze" before .. hehe... see you can also learn from Doris' movies ... :D :D :D

Hate to correct you but its a snoode. They were big in the 40's and made a comeback in the mid to late 60's. Indeed you can learn a lot from movies, but probably not the ones today.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I just watched this on the Summer Under The Stars program... I LOVED it... I thought it was hilarious, and really sweet at times... The last scene was just sooo sweet and senntimental, and the scene when the little boy woke up in his mom's bed... It was priceless..

I rated it excellent..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

After Move Over Darling, my first ever Doris' movie, this is my next favourite. It's such a funny film...love the line "meet my sister the girl with the golden arm, and her hair in the oven". The disco scene fascinates me, the groovy dancing, the clothes, psychodelic flashing lights and that crazy puppet...love it! :D

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I also watched this yesterday on TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" and felt it was better than I remembered. I had not seen it since 1968 (!) when it was first released. Doris has said in interviews that the character she played in this film was the "real me" or words similar to that. I can see that because here she is not holding onto her virginity, nor is her character coy about wanting a completely fulfilling relationship with a man. This is one of her most genuine and understated performances.

And with sharp supporting work from Alice Ghostley, Pat Carroll, and George Carlin it is hard to resist this film. Too bad "Yours, Mine and Ours" beat it to the theaters: this might have been a bigger hit with audiences if it came out first.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

jmichael wrote:I also watched this yesterday on TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" and felt it was better than I remembered. I had not seen it since 1968 (!) when it was first released. Doris has said in interviews that the character she played in this film was the "real me" or words similar to that. I can see that because here she is not holding onto her virginity, nor is her character coy about wanting a completely fulfilling relationship with a man. This is one of her most genuine and understated performances.

And with sharp supporting work from Alice Ghostley, Pat Carroll, and George Carlin it is hard to resist this film. Too bad "Yours, Mine and Ours" beat it to the theaters: this might have been a bigger hit with audiences if it came out first.

I was wondering about that comment TCM made that this was not a big hit. I have heard that this film actually did very well when it came out. Especially compared to her last few flims like Caprice, Josie and Lights.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

jmichael wrote:I also watched this yesterday on TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" and felt it was better than I remembered. I had not seen it since 1968 (!) when it was first released. Doris has said in interviews that the character she played in this film was the "real me" or words similar to that. I can see that because here she is not holding onto her virginity, nor is her character coy about wanting a completely fulfilling relationship with a man. This is one of her most genuine and understated performances.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I also heard that it was one of DD's top ten grossing films. So many people have misconceptions about Doris and her career. It burns me up!
Like Irene Dunne done.

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

This is my second favorite film. I really think that Doris Day and Brian Keith were meant to work together. The chemistry is unbelievable. You can tell they're just so comfortable with each other. He's the guy she should have done a TV series with. It would have gone on for years.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

I personally think Brian Keith is a bit on the stiff side occasionally :lol: .... still - very cute movie - I totally love it!!!!

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Brian Keith is usually, but he does have great chemistry with Doris. Doris brings out the best in most people.
The Doris Day Show

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I should be receiving this movie from netflix today. I'm so much looking forward to seeing this. It was a surprise to me when I found out George Carlin was in it. (He died a few months ago) My son is a big George Carlin fan, so he wants to see this movie too. Glad he will see Doris Day! He did see Doris in "Storm Warning", and loved it! I'll make my son into a Doris Day fan!
And Brian Keith, I remember mostly from "Family Affair!" Great cast!
I'll watch it very soon, and come back here to report.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Littlepinetree: I think you'll enjoy it! The chemistry between Doris and Brian Keith is very sweet!
Like Irene Dunne done.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

LPT, I agree with Howard. I think you'll find it a charming film. Doris and Brian are GREAT together. The ending is slapstick and awful, but the first 3/4's of the movie is very good. But be forewarned, George Carlin has a pretty small role in it.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Well, I saw this movie! I thought it was so cute, and you all are right, what a cast! At first I thought it would be like the Brady Bunch, but not really. I thought at first, the Father would have three girls and Doris three boys, turned around from the Brady Bunch. But then I realized Doris had the three sons, and the Father only had one girl, so not really like the Brady Bunch, but the only thing that is the same, is that a couple with kids find each other and marry. It seems that so far, the Doris movies I've seen, she has bratty son's, like in Please Don't Eat The Daisies." But in her TV show, "The Doris Day Show" her boys were perfect and sweet!
I enjoyed "With Six You Get Eggroll" very much!

Vicki M

Unread post by Vicki M »

LPT,

When I first saw Doris' movies with "bratty" sons like PDETD and With Six I was somewhat indignant. I thought why does she let them get away with that or gripe at them like she did. Then I had my own sons, I now think that was realistic!

BTW - I am a Texan from the Houston area!

Vicki M

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Vicki, I only have one son, and was lucky he wasn't a problem. (well, most of the time anyway)
You sure do learn a lot when you have your own kids!
If you're ever in Austin, look me up! You can email me through this site, or go into myspace, and type in littlepinetree1. Anyone can reach me there! Love to hear from fellow Doris fans! :D