With Six You Get Eggroll

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate With Six You Get Eggroll;?

Poor
2%
Average
7%
Good
43%
Excellent
48%

Total votes: 54

Doris Martin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: With Six You Get Eggroll

Unread post by Doris Martin »

:D :D Hello everybody...I have just seen , again, With six you get eggroll....the more I see it the more I like it....she is so.....good...Doris Martin

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Was This Doris' very last movie?

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Yes it was her last movie. Wish it wasn't! I really love the first half of this movie but after they get married, I think it goes down hill. :(
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle »

I rated this as good. I always seem to get a little sad after watching WSYGE, I think it's because I know it's the last film Doris made and all the stress and heartbreak she has heading her way.
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Some picture I do want to add, find on ebay.
ImageImage

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Love that last pic, the hair, the look, the beautiful red/ orange dress.

anita

Unread post by anita »

I don't remember that last picture being in the movie. Anybody know if it was a deleted scene or something?

Thanks!
Anita

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

puck wonderful photos :D Thank you

ImageImage
screenshots from the movie

Have a good week, I wish you all :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Finally saw the movie.It is very Dorissy,she has mimic and everlasting smile,but I love the character she is playing.Nicely teamed up with Brian Keith.Here she plays a realistic role in a down to earth situation and it suits her perfectly.Her excersises before bedtime are funny and so her own..
She looks glorious throughout the movie,but especially in the red gown at her party,you can see what a classy lady she is.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

melancholy wrote:Finally saw the movie.It is very Dorissy,she has mimic and everlasting smile,but I love the character she is playing.Nicely teamed up with Brian Keith.Here she plays a realistic role in a down to earth situation and it suits her perfectly.Her excersises before bedtime are funny and so her own..
She looks glorious throughout the movie,but especially in the red gown at her party,you can see what a classy lady she is.
Yes dear,...she is...

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:Image

What do you think of "With Six You Get Eggroll"?

Refresh your memory: http://dorisday.net/with_six_you_get_eggroll.html
I am just watching the film..she is adorable,,,,//// thank you dear Doris

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

A bit of trivia: According to a friend of mine whose dealings include real estate, the house where the exteriors of the McClure home were reportedly filmed -- 4248 Clybourn in Toluca Lake -- recently went up for sale. (It was remodeled a few years ago, so it looks somewhat different from what is seen in the movie.) The back yard of the house is diagonal from the back yard of a house at 131 S. Valley, which was Doris's home in the early to mid-1950s.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Last night I watched again, With Six You Gety Eggroll, on TCM. From the moment the credits began, the music defined the upbeat 1968 era and the bright mood of this film.This last big screen film is a credit to Doris. It can be appreciated on several levels.

Doris demonstrates the anxiety of a long-time widow andf mother wanting to meet a companion. Her character is head of of contracting company that she leads with confidence. Her relationship with her three boys is funny touching and realistic. Pat Carroll as Doris' sister is a true delight.

There is high comedy near the beginning of the film when she is getting ready for her dinner party. Watching Doris chase her boys covered in yellow paint (?) as well as the dog, Calico who stole her wig, is really funny.

Doris was ahead of her time as a feminist in films.(Feminism being defined as equality of the sexes.) She was always equal and often superior in skills, honesty, knowledge and ability, to the men in the film. She was always without guile. Most of Doris on-screen characters are a great inspiration for young women and girls (in 1968 and now.) Doris can be really proud of this film.

This film is a real treat for all the family.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

The sad story of Brian Keith's last days:

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Very sad. He was a wonderful actor, and I thought he and Doris had very good chemistry together!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

I love any movie Doris is in. She has the ability to make every character she portrays to be truly realistic. She showed how hard it is to be a single working mother and how difficult it is to live in a blended family and still make you laugh. She is such a versatile actress. Truly amazing.

Tybear

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Brian Keith, Doris' co-star in With Six You Get Eggroll was the son of Robert Keith who played Doris' father in Young At Heart and was in Love Me or Leave me as well.

Doris' hairdresser on With Six You Get Eggroll , Barbara Lampson, reported that Doris had more hair styles in this film than in any of her others. It was Doris' Idea for these changes. Doris had thirty-seven costume changes in this film.

On Valentine's Day 1968, before the film was finished, there was a Turn On, Turn Up, and Drop- In CBS Films Love-In Luncheon for Doris Day. it was the last public appearance for Doris Day and Martin Melcher as a couple. Marty went into the hospital on April 3rd (their anniversary), 1968 and died on April 20th at the age of fifty-two.

With Six You Get Eggroll was released in August 1968. it was Doris' last film.
Johnny

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Thank for the info, Johnny - I'll include it on the new page I'm doing for the film - if that's okay?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I've seen several news items indicating that Melcher was hospitalized for only one week. David Kaufman's book reports that he went into the hospital on April 13, not April 3, which would coincide with a week-long hospitalization.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

With Six You Get Eggroll DVD Information.

Front Cover:
Keeping This Family Together Isn't Child's Play!

Back Cover:

"A Bright And Inventive Family Comedy!"

The effervescent Doris Day (Pillow Talk), and rugged Brian Keith (The Parent Trap), star in a comedy romp that focuses on love and marriage, and the trials and tribulations of an instant family! Day in her last feature-film role, plays Abby Mc Clure, an independent single mom with three rambunctious sons.
Keith portrays Jake Iverson, the father of a headstrong 18-year-old daughter (Barbara Hershey of Beaches). When Abby and Jake meet, fall in love and marry, it's a union perfectly suited for towels marked "His and Hers"...that is, until his and her kids bring chaos and turmoil into the house as they attempt to blend into a single family unit. George Carlin (making his feature-film debut). Pat Carroll (The Little Mermaid), Jamie Farr ( TV's M*A*S*H) and Alice Ghostly (Grease) co-star in a spirited, laugh-filled contemporary story involving tangled family ties.
The film also stars John Findlater.

Thinking about Doris's role as a mother in With Six You Get Eggroll, made me reflect on her other roles as a parent. In The Man Who Knew Too Much, It Happened To Jane, Please Don't Eat The Daisies, The Thrill Of It All, Move Over Darling and The Doris Day Show, she had boys with a boy and girl in Jane, Thrill, and Move Over Darling.
Doris connects authentically with children as she does with adults. Coming from a family of all boys, it was of particular interest to me seeing Doris mother boys. Perhaps Doris being a mother of a boy helped her communicate her tenderness to the children. I especially love her role as a mom in Please Don't Eat The Daisies.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Johnny, I agree that Doris was always so natural with her onscreen children. The way she connects with kids was evident even when she was a very new actress in My Dream Is Yours, but "Daisies" is the film that first made me a DD fan. I never tire of watching it . . . in fact, I just might watch it tonight.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In David Kaufman's book on Doris Day he makes the following observations on Doris' love of animals while filming With Six You Get Eggroll.
"Day's lifelong concern for animals becoming more acute, manifesting itself here, as it had when she made The Man Who Knew Too Much and more recently, The Ballad of Josie. After shooting the scene in Eggroll where a vehicle crashes into a truck full of chickens, she required assurance that the squawking birds were all right. And, according to the Los Angeles Times, "When Doris saw a dog running around, she'd stop filming and ask them to give the dog water. She heard that CBC wanted to get rid of all the cats at its Cinema Center and she was up in arms. She is responsible for the cat population at the studio". In spite of such stories both cast and crew had fun making Eggroll.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi all,

Time to go to Carmel this 3 april
https://youtu.be/_KYKnHFmMgU
2018----50years-----With Six You Get Eggroll

Enjoy,

P

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-brian- ... 18057.html Does anyone have a high resolution image of this? It is needed for the DDAF fundraiser. I was asked if I could find one.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In Alan Gelb's book The Doris Day Scrapbook he writes the following about Doris' last film, With Six You Get Eggroll:
"Doris is for once in her later career, at about the same age on -screen as she is off. It is a nice feeling. She has a teenage son and she doesn't have to worry about looking young enough for Richard Harris. Her co-star is Brian Keith, who has a kind of Spencer Tracy ruggedness that plays well against Doris. The direction was by Howard Morris, a second banana on the old Your Show of Shows with Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca, and a man who knew something about comedy. Morris however with his strong television background, brought some of that small-screen feeling to With Six You Get Eggroll and made it seem less substantial than something like Yours, Mine and Ours with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda, also done in 1968, also dealing with the same kind of material, and, in contrast with Doris' film,one of the year's top grossers. But if Morris brought a certain lack of scope to With Six You Get Eggroll, he also brought some nice touches and if it wasn't with anything distasteful or offensive either."

I think Gelb's reference to Doris' age and Richard Harris is totally inappropriate and unnecessary comment. With Six You Get Eggroll deserved a better commentary than Gelb's.
Johnny