With Six You Get Eggroll

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate With Six You Get Eggroll;?

Poor
2%
Average
7%
Good
43%
Excellent
48%

Total votes: 54

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: With Six You Get Eggroll

Unread post by Musiclover »

Johnny, this occurred to me about 2 of Alan Gelb's observations: First, this film was fiction, whereas "Yours, Mine and Ours" was based on a true story. Of course, liberties with the facts were taken -- but, still, I think that's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Second, Doris was 6 years older than James Garner, 8 years older than Rod Taylor, and 9 years older than Stephen Boyd. I agree that Gelb's comment about the age difference with Richard Harris (8 1/2 years, I think) was unnecessary. The age factor with her aforesaid leading men had no effect on their films with Doris, in my view. (By the way, Gelb's book contains a number of factual errors.)

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I agree totally Musiclover. I found several errors but I also found insightful observations. I found the book worthwhile since the focus is on all of Doris' wonderful films.

It never occurred to me to think about the age of Doris in her films or any of her co-stars. One exception may be Ray Bolger in April in Paris, and that is in hind site.

I chose to share some of Gelb's observations, both positive and negative to generate a discussion on the forum. It is important to have different points of view.

Gelb's criticisms of Doris's films often are more harsh than they are complimentary with few exceptions.

I really appreciate all the comments from forum members that challenge Gelb's criticisms and show a genuine appreciation for Doris' work
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Gelb's book is somewhere in my basement but I haven't looked at it in years. I recall enjoying it when it was first published but as you both pointed out, it has some errors and I don't necessarily agree with everything he says about her films or her performances. His emphasis on the age gap between Doris and Richard Harris is sexist and unfair. No one blinked when Sean Connery romanced a much younger (28 years to be exact) Michelle Pfeiffer in The Russia House or when Sinatra chased after Jill. St. John and Raquel Welch in a couple of his later films. Sinatra was twenty five years older than St. John and Welch. I wonder if writers and columnists just need space to fill when they make a big deal about age differences.

Judy, thanks for doing the math on the age gaps between Doris and some of her other leading men. It proves that numbers are far less important than chemistry and acting ability. Certainly, Doris and Clark Gable demonstrated that when they made a charming couple in Teacher's Pet.

Eggroll stands on its own merits and it was successful at the box-office too. If it had to be her swan song in films, then I'm grateful she and Marty chose this enjoyable comedy.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great observations Michael.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In David Kaufman's book on Doris, there are two interesting comments mentioned by Doris with reference to her film With Six You Get Eggroll:

"When Doris had lunch with major fan Paul Brogan and he told her he had seen With Six You Get Eggroll fifty-four times, she just stared at him, took his hand in hers, and said, "And you didn't get diabetes"? It was very deadpan" added Brogan.

When Brogan learned that Doris had never seen With Six You Get Eggroll, he was taken aback, and asked why.

Doris replied, "You know, I lived it every day on set for three months working on the picture for three months. So, what's the point?

I believe Paul is a member of this forum and if it is a misrepresentation of the situation, please let me know.

I find Doris' remarks are disarmingly honest and direct, much like her personality.

With Six You Get Eggroll is a charming salute to the 1960's. I love the fact that Doris' character is in charge of a construction company. It is añ endearing film.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Maggie Smith recently said a similar thing about Downtoun Abbey - she hasn't watched an episode- yet!

jmichael
Honorary Member

I certainly didn’t have the kind of longtime friendship that Paul had with Doris, but I can attest to the fact that she was direct. On the one and only phone conversation we had, the first thing she said after I introduced myself was: “Should I call you Michael or Mike?” She wanted to get it right and didn’t hesitate to ask. She had me in the palm of her hand from that moment on.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Michael thank you for sharing your insightful story
on Doris. Doris's directness demonstrated respect and caring in asking how she should address you.
Doris' greatest gift was her emotional intelligence that allowed her to connect empathetically with both people and animals.

Doris' emotional connection to people was apparent in every song she sang and in every film she made.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Michael that's great- did you get to speak to Doris after you did those other fabulous tributes from each Decade?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Speaking of Michael's fabulous tributes, I wonder: Do you know if Doris has watched them?
Like Irene Dunne done.

jmichael
Honorary Member

howard wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 12:42
Speaking of Michael's fabulous tributes, I wonder: Do you know if Doris has watched them?
Jas1 wrote:
26 Apr 2020, 05:39

Michael that's great- did you get to speak to Doris after you did those other fabulous tributes from each Decade?
Hey guys,

Doris watched the 1950's video during her birthday celebration in 2015. The person who delivered it watched it with her and a small group of her friends. After the first twenty minutes or so, Doris asked them if they'd had enough. She was bored and was ready to turn it off. I always got a kick out of that. I suspect it embarrassed her or maybe it was lost on her. And I realized the videos were really for the fans, not Doris.

The person who shared this with me emphasized that Doris appreciated it and thought it was well done, but she was more interested in other topics. Gotta love her for that.

The other two videos were sent to her but I don't know if she viewed them.

Michael
Michael H

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Michael - Thanks for sharing that. I am a bit delayed in responding and catching-up on the Forum and have set aside a chunk of time to try to do so.

That is so typically Doris - not wanting to watch herself or something that pays a tribute to her.

You may recall that on the Golden Globes in 1989 during the brief series of clips from her films that were played, she kept her head down and refused to look until she heard James Garner's voice talking in a clip. She then looked up and watched him speak about her.

It was never false modesty with regard to watching or listening to praise heaped upon her.

I think that is as much the reason why she turned down an AFI Tribute back in the 80's as well as declining George Stevens Jr.'s request for the Kennedy Center Honors. While she may have used the excuse about not liking to fly, it was mostly a desire to not see and hear a parade of people praise her. To have it done publicly would have been sheer hell for her to go through.

She never really understood the depth and level to which she was able to resonate and that modesty is probably one of the reasons that she always remained natural, real and made it look so easy.

I recall that in May of 1983 when she and Rock were being interviewed by David Hartman as part of that week long tribute, her typical modesty. Rock was telling David about what a great teacher Doris had been when they started working on "Pillow Talk" and Doris immediately gives the credit to Director Michael Gordon.

When I saw her in Carmel in late June of 1983, I praised the "Good Morning America" tribute and told her how deserving it was. She laughed and said, "Oh they were just being sweet and David's such a dear man..."