Move Over Darling

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Move Over Darling

Poor
1%
Average
6%
Good
28%
Excellent
65%

Total votes: 72

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Move Over Darling

Unread post by Jas1 » 07 Oct 2014, 19:35

Nice story Johnny.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 13 Jul 2015, 16:11

I watched "Move Over Darling" the other night, and I'd swear that Doris was singing "live" to the children. Up to this point, I thought she had only sung "Hey There" live in "The Pajama Game." Wonder if she sang live in any other film.
Like Irene Dunne done.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 13 Jul 2015, 17:25

Howard - "Twinkle Lullaby" was sung live. She also sang "Whatever Will Be Will Be" live to her son in "TMWKTM" and sang the song, again, in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" live during the restaurant scene (the other two songs in the film were both pre-recorded). She also sang, live, "The Glass Bottom Boat" with Arthur Godfrey, et al in that film seguing into "Whatever Will Be....." also live.

In "Boat" that entire sing-a-long scene was shot in one take with four cameras set-up for reactions, etc. Frank Tashlin had set aside an entire day for doing the scene but they completed it in under 2 hours, saving the production over $ 15,000 in expenses.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 13 Jul 2015, 17:42

You ARE the man, Paul. Thanks for that and everything else you've shared with us!
Like Irene Dunne done.

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 13 Jul 2015, 18:04

Howard, you're making me blush!! :) To those already noted could be added "Run away skiddadle ski doo" which is live when sung by Doris with help (???) from Richard Widmark. In "It Happened to Jane", "Be Prepared" was also done live and that is Jack Lemmon plucking away. Because of it being outside, it was "juiced up" a tad by Columbia afterwards to make it sound more uniform.

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover » 13 Jul 2015, 18:36

Paul, your background stories are so informative -- thanks! I've always thought that it looks like all four people were truly enjoying doing the sing-along scene in "Glass Bottom Boat."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 15 Jul 2015, 14:59

Thank you so much for the great music background information Howard, Paul and Musiclover. It really enriches the experience in watching a Doris Day film.

Move Over Darling is one of my favourite films. The chemistry amongst the cast is exceptional. Doris Day and James Garner have an implicit knowledge of their characters' married relationship in their scenes. Polly Bergen is spectacular as the second wife who is so confused. The relationship between Doris and the children is tender, loving and real.

Doris looks very much like the beautiful Marilyn Monroe in this film.

The film moves at a good pace. Each time I watch MOD, I am charmed. Thanks to the forum contributors, I will enjoy Move Over Darling even more.
Johnny

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 15 Jul 2015, 17:28

After all these years, it still makes me laugh A LOT!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 15 Jul 2015, 19:48

Paul~
Thanks for the info but didn't she also sing live in Calamity and also live in one of her black and white when she was in the bedroom and ended up on the bed crying. She asked to sing that live. I believe I read about that.

Thanks Uncle Paul. What would we do without you for the last 100 years? LOL!!!

Lauren

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 15 Jul 2015, 20:57

Hi Lauren - Good to see you posting again. A big welcome back from your hiatus!!!

On an earlier response Howard had mentioned "The Pajama Game" scene where she does the reprise of "Hey There" and that was live and yes, in "Calamity Jane" she and Howard Keel do "I Can Do Without You" live in order to get the full emotion of the scene. Of course that brief bit in "Teacher's Pet" when she sings and swings "The Girl Who Invented Rock and Roll" is definitely live and in the moment and she exudes more sex appeal without even trying than Mamie did in the earlier rendition. Sorry Mamie, but its true - Doris could do it all!!!

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul » 15 Jul 2015, 20:58

Lauren - 100 years???? I could have sworn it was 105!!

:)

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 17 Jul 2015, 09:37

So great to have Paul back again!

A bit off topic, but I love the MOD title song and the Motown / girl group arrangement. I wish Doris had recorded an entire album of contemporary songs like in the mid-sixties - everything from the Beatles to Bacharach & David, Smokey Robinson, Neil Sedaka, Marvin Gaye, Cynthia Mann & Barry Weil, among others.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 17 Jul 2015, 09:41

Berry Gordy wanted Diana Ross to be the next Doris Day as a singer. And it certainly worked!!!! Love Doris and Ms. Ross singing. Real talent a big hit back in the day.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 17 Jul 2015, 10:34

jmichael: Doris recorded a Neil Sedaka song back in the 60's called "Wait Till You See My Baby," but somehow it was never released. The Bear Family couldn't find the master when they were compiling her entire Columbia catalogue. Curious????
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 17 Jul 2015, 12:09

Howard, that's not the only recording Columbia ever "lost." I recall that Les Brown's band had a #1 hit in December of 1948 and into 1949 with an instrumental version of "I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm" -- but they had recorded it at Columbia four years earlier. For some reason it was never released . . . until after the band played it in one of Bob Hope's shows. (When Columbia heard the tremendous audience reaction, they wired Brown and told him to get into the studio immediately and record it. He replied that the recording was already in their files. Lo and behold, they found it.) As late as 1981, Brown said, "Columbia still has a lot of things of ours that they've never released." Kind of makes one wonder how many of Doris's recordings met the same fate.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin » 17 Jul 2015, 20:56

Some very interesting comments above. Many good thoughts.

JMichael - I think your idea is a good one. Songs would have been up to date and could have shown Doris' talents in singing the type of music of the day. However, didn't she and Marty produce an album of songs sung in a slow, slow manner because producers at Columbia previously told her to "speed songs up". This was because DJs of the day wouldn't play songs almost 3 minutes because they needed play commercials.

Your idea would have been a big seller to perhaps a younger crowd of people rather than the slower songs. I'm not much of a fan of an entire album such as slower songs, although I bought it.

Lauren

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 19 Jul 2015, 06:10

Lauren Benjamin wrote:Some very interesting comments above. Many good thoughts.

JMichael - I think your idea is a good one. Songs would have been up to date and could have shown Doris' talents in singing the type of music of the day. However, didn't she and Marty produce an album of songs sung in a slow, slow manner because producers at Columbia previously told her to "speed songs up". This was because DJs of the day wouldn't play songs almost 3 minutes because they needed play commercials.

Your idea would have been a big seller to perhaps a younger crowd of people rather than the slower songs. I'm not much of a fan of an entire album such as slower songs, although I bought it.

Lauren
Yes, Lauren, I believe the result was The Love Album, which was "lost" for many years before it was finally released. I recall Doris saying that she loved singing to the slower tempo, which is exactly what she does There are some real jewels on that album, but one or two mid to uptempo numbers would have given it an energy boost IMO.

Great singers can sing just about anything and Doris demonstrated a knack for interpreting contemporary material on the MOD track. An entire album of songs in that vein, with a few topnotch ballads (Doris could have done wonders with songs like Anyone Who Had A Heart or A House Is Not A Home) and some 'girl group' numbers would have sold like hotcakes. Too bad she never connected with record producers like Quincy Jones or Berry Gordy at the time.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 12 Sep 2015, 14:57

Does there seem to be a strong similarity to the convertible car in Doris' carwash scene in Move Over Darling and the convertible car in the scene in The Thrill Of It All when James Garner drives it in to the pool?
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 13 Oct 2015, 14:48

Move Over Darling received undeserving, unfavourable reviews from several elitist critics in 1964. In spite of this, Move Over Darling, was a hit with audiences and ranked sixth on the top highest grossing films list of 1964 according to Film Facts by Cobbett Steinberg.
The first five highest earning films of 1964 were:
1. The Carpetbaggers
2. It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
3. The Unsinkable Molly Brown
4. Charade
5. The Cardinal
There is a wonderful and interesting quote by film scholar and critic, James Harvey, that opens the chapter on Move Over Darling in Kaufman's book. It reads:
"If Marilyn Monroe died for our sins as the saying of the time had it,
Then Doris Day smiled for them."
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 19 May 2016, 06:28

If you have seen Marilyns scenes for Something Got To Give. They are flat and not very funny. She posed nude but Doris made the film HOT! Doris's bubble bath and wearing the big blue terrycloth robe did not make the final cut of Move Over Darling. Wonder why? Marilyn ushered in film nudity but Doris ruled in fun entertainment and was sexy to boot. Also well dressed. Connie Edney. a nice woman and Doris's wardobe lady for her cable TV series also had worked with Marilyn. When you see the other performers in Somethings Got To Give, they also are not as funny as Move Over Darling. Example Don Knotts as the shoe salesman was a hoot over Wally Cox.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 19 May 2016, 06:35

Also strange that Doris and marilyn were never photographed together being in Hollywood during the hey days. Doris was never photograped with Liz Taylor either. By chance?

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 19 May 2016, 10:11

I once read that Marilyn Monroe badly wanted the "Pillow Talk" role.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 19 May 2016, 14:53

Trying to visualize Monroe in the Pillow Talk role defies imagination!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 May 2016, 05:02

I read that too Howard, and I agree, it is very difficult to envisage.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 20 May 2016, 21:20

Poor Marilyn always seemed dazed. Some call it sexy. :o Doris is such a perfectionist wonder why she let them film a scene with different wigs? Doris sparkled in this flick and was a seductive Eve. She jumped in the pool fully dressed unlike MM! :roll: