The Tunnel of Love

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate The Tunnel of Love?

Poor
24%
Average
37%
Good
27%
Excellent
12%

Total votes: 51

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Tunnel of Love

Unread post by webmaster »

Have lips, will kiss - have love will share - with you - in The Tunnel of Love.

So what do you think of this Gene Kelly directed movie?

http://www.dorisday.net/tunnel-of-love
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

Great cast but I didn't like the script. This is one at the bottom of my list.I wondered why this was filmed in b/w.--I do like the song The Tunnel of Love.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I like you comments Lauren. This film is at the bottom of my list too. Not enough Doris, the plot draaaaggggsss on. Black and White... why?

However, I have only seen this film once.
The Doris Day Show

nelson

Unread post by nelson »

Black and white cost a lot less than color. Day was one of the first stars to break out of the studio system and have "her" own production company. That meant that someone in "her" organization apportioned the money. Less money on film, personnel and equipment meant more money for someone.

I suspect than when the cost of film, color cameras and operators, lighting and everything else was added together the $ savings for BW was significant. Since these were very early films as an independent, budget may have been a greater concern than in later years.

Unfortunately, the B/W makes ToL, Julie and Teacher's Pet all look more dated than they need to be. They really have more of a 40's look about them which takes away from them in my opinion.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I can't vote because this is the one Doris film that I've never been able to watch from start to finish. The script / storyline do not grab me. It seems beneath Doris and the rest of the talented cast.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 »

I guess I'm in a definite minority in my love of black and white. I don't mind it a bit, and feel JULIE and TEACHER'S PET benefit from it greatly. TUNNEL suffers a bit from being shot in CinemaScope, as it's a comedy of conversation, and doesn't need the wide screen to shows couples chatting. It was shot on sets, which would have looked terrible in color, but are quite nicely stylized for B/W. I prefer to take stills in B/W to this day, and portraits are always better without color.

nelson

Unread post by nelson »

We'll probably have to disagree on that. We live in a color world. People who burst with life like Doris really benefit from being seen in color whether on screen or in stills. Maybe because other than 4 or 5 films, everything Day did was in color, it just jars me to see her onscreen in B/W.

While I don't care for colorizing BW films, mainly because it's still badly done, given a choice for other than film noir, I prefer color.

Teachers Pet, ToL are comedies. B/W wasn't a good choice for them in 56-59, especially for someone that worked almost exclusively in color in prior years. As a drama, the B/W doesn't detract from Julie as much but I still would probably like them better had they been filmed in color.

Color would have accented the contrast between the bright, young, idealistic Day and the careworn, tough guy Gable in Teacher's Pet. It also would have probably made Gable look older which could have been a consideration. The story is actually pretty timeless but the B/W makes it look like something filmed in 1948 rather than 1958.

It's been years since I've seen ToL and I just don't remember much about it.

It is rather odd, however, that Day has this small group of B/W movies right in the middle of her career. Maybe the Kaufman book will have the answer to why this was done. I'd be willing to bet the reason had to do more with controlling costs than with artistic considerations.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

I didn't mind seeing Julie in Black and White. Teacher's Pet, I think if color would make Clark Gable look younger I would be all for it (I did enjoy his preformance. Tunnel of Love - I don't think it would help this film. The plot was very contrived.

Sometimes when I see color movies on TCM from the 40's, I am just awestruck. The gowns, the make up, everyone looks so beautiful.

Doris Day in a high quality color film is worth seeing.
The Doris Day Show

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Well now - Doris is just a cutie ! BW - color what does it matter ??

Have to agree - not a very good movie - but she was sure looking ok !
The story was awful - I really don't know what was supposed to be so funny about not being able to have a baby - extra-marital affairs - a neighbor popping pills with alcohol !! Not funny !!
I think BW was very good for Teachers Pet - went along with the newspaper very well. And I think it was ok for Julie which was supposed to be taut and gritty like so many 50's movies. I don't mind the BW on this movie - that's not the problem for me. But, at the same time I find myself watching this from time to time because Doris was just so darned cute !!

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

dayniac wrote:Well now - Doris is just a cutie ! BW - color what does it matter ??
Have to agree - not a very good movie - but she was sure looking ok !
The story was awful - I really don't know what was supposed to be so funny about not being able to have a baby - extra-marital affairs - a neighbor popping pills with alcohol !! Not funny !!...
Toni, you are so right!

Tanja

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I just thought DD was so cute in this movie - wish the movie itself was better.

Toni

Wasn't she a cutie ??

Toni
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

I think if you are truely beautiful (like Doris), black and white actually seems to enhance that beauty. If you have lines in your face, black and white is very harsh. Doris Day is one of the actresses that didn't need much eyeshadow. In a couple of her films, (not many) she does have on too much makeup. In such cases she looks better in a black and white photo.

webmaster

Tunnel of Love

I like this film and I think I said somewhere that it was on TV one afternoon, a friend came over and he was laughing his head off watching it. Sometimes we're to close to DD to see her work as 'the man/woman in the street'. It's not a major work but given it was shot in 3 weeks it's pretty good.

Also I was struck watching Doris sing "Runaway, Skidaddle Skidoo" how much she looked like the "Pillow Talk" Doris in that scene.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I do enjoy watching this movie because as always Doris was good in it. The situations themselves lacked humor - but I thought that Doris was great as always !!
And Debbi - I have to agree - she looks great in BW movies - she was a natural beauty and bw wasn't detrimental to her looks. I have to agree with you about some of the movies when she had too much makeup on. She looked so much better with less makeup.

Toni

Jas1
Honorary Member

The Look

Unread post by Jas1 »

For the most part I do not like Doris' look in this film - she was half way between her 'Teacher's Pet' look [that i adore] and her Pillow Talk years [high fashion priestess] - which i also adore. Thankfully this stage did not last too long!

webmaster

TCM REVIEW (quote from):

"Though not a popular success, The Tunnel of Love did earn Doris Day a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress. And it allowed another big star - Gene Kelly - a chance to escape his stereotyped image as a song-and-dance man and try his hand behind the camera. The Tunnel of Love is notable as the first directorial effort from Kelly in which he didn't also star."
http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=18540

TCM TRAILER:
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?cid=13468

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I thought everyone did a good job in the movie. Maybe these topics were funny in the late 50's. Who knows ?!
I had no idea they made this in 3 weeks ! I know Kelly was doing some directing - primarily musicals. I read the TCM review. I wasn't really turned off by Widmark - I thought he did a good job. Maybe in the 50's people couldn't accept him in this role- I thought he was fine.
But - I really didn't get the feeling that this was a 'dark' movie. It seemed pretty light and comedic. Does anyone feel that it was dark ? Am I just missing it ? Some of the subject matter was dark - but I thought it was handled as a definite comedy.

Jas1 - I see what you're saying about her look. Maybe it was the hairdo. Kind of the same as in It Happened to Jane. She was kind of in between TP and PT -- but I thought she as still pretty darn cute.

javajunkie540

Unread post by javajunkie540 »

I've watched this movie several times and I rewatched it last night, and I think I like it better with each viewing. It's a cute film. Doris Day is great as always, I didn't care much for Richard Widmark and Doris together but their scenes together weren't that bad. I love Gig Young and he really plays the cynical, philandering, drunk so well. So I really think the acting was great.

As far as the script and what was going on, it was kinda naughty, and I really like it. It works, somehow it works. Is it one of her BEST films? I don't think so, but I think it's much better than people think it is. It's dark but at the same time funny. I like how it was filmed in black and white, and I just love the songs "Tunnel of Love" and "Run away skidaddle skidoo." All in all I think this is a good picture, and should be watched with an open mind and knowledge that this is not your typical sunny Doris Day film.

webmaster

Tunnel of Love

Welcome to the forum JJ (why java junkie?) nice to read your comments.
I suspect the reason it was made in three weeks was that it was based on the stage play so they probably just had to film the prepared script and all of them, being busy pros, just ran through it - and you've probably got Martin Melcher or Arwin Productions on the credits somewhere.

In hindsight, the question is why did Doris agree to a low-budget black and white film at this stage? Later she commented that this and "It Happened to Jane" weren't very well received. Perhaps it was down to Marty as her agent again?

I don't think it's a 'dark film' (perhaps it's the black and white and the subject matter) - it's essentially a farce. I'd love to know how Gene Kelly ended up directing it and how he and Doris got on. I've never heard her mention him. Thinking about it, she was a huge star at the time so why did she do this throwaway black and white film that took three weeks to shoot? Answers on a postcard, etc...

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Yea, I really don't care for this film very much.

I once saw a nice photo of Gene Kelly and Doris both wearing trousers and loafers [don't know the American for those - footwear] and larking about on the set and they certainly looked like they got on. They would have made a lovely looking [not to mention exceptionally talented] screen couple.

webmaster

Tunnel of Love

How can you not care for a film with Doris in it, Jas? :wink:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

There are very few of Doris' films that I don't care too much for and this is one - along with Where were you when the lights went out and Ballad of Josie.
A lot of the WB ones are in my good/ okay category - mainly due to Doris' amazing talent and singing voice and then there is the A list, you know, Pillow Talk, Pajama Game, Teacher's Pet, Love me or leave me, Man who knew too much, CJ, Romance on high seas etc, as you can see Bryan there are probably more of Doris' films in my A list category, however I am not blinded by the fact DD is in it so I have to enjoy.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

never saw this movie, only some part on youtupe, great pictures of her and Ricard Widmark. Thank you all for sharing.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

The first, largest, photo is of DD & Van Johnson--then DD, the baby (or baby doll), Widmark, and Gene Kelly (director)...

Jas, about your Feb 4th post: American for 'loafers' is.. 'loafers'!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I just watched this movie for the first time yesterday, it was on tv. Despite what everyone is saying, I really enjoyed it!!!

I was trying to read a description of this movie.. and found it VERY confusing.. I was even confused during the movie, despite how much I liked it..

I have a question.. so did Augie sleep with Mrs.Novik... and is their adopted baby HIS baby??? That's pretty much what confused me. If someone could clear this up, I'd appreciate it!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss