The Tunnel of Love

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate The Tunnel of Love?

Poor
24%
Average
37%
Good
27%
Excellent
12%

Total votes: 51

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Augie falls asleep from all the meds and alcohol, and Miss Novik puts him up in a room and leaves. When he wakes up he thinks that he slept with Miss Novik, and he upset because he never cheated on his wife before. When Miss Novik sees him again she is pregnant, And Augie thinks it's his baby (That's why he gives her money.) The adopted baby looks just like Augie, so everyone thinks it's his. The truth is Miss Novik is actually married, and the adopted baby is just a good match by the agency.

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

oh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me!!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

puck
Honorary Member

Re: The Tunnel of Love

Unread post by puck »

Saw this movie this afernoon, before I did watch "Julie", for the first time, and I did't like it, the story, script was poor, this movie is really beneath Miss Day's talent.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Ok..sorry guys. I don't rate ANY of Doris' films below good, and most of them are excellent. Because SHE is in them, that makes them good and well worth watching.
SHE IS THE SHOW!!!

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

I don't think this movie is bad - I enjoyed it. I remember watching it when I was younger and I loved it then.

Now I think Richard Widmark is absolutely miscast in the movie... I don't think he was much of a "comedy" actor .. but it definitely has a LOT of very cute moments - Gig Young and Elizabeth Fraser are fun as the neighbours .... I liked that ... and Doris is just awesome of course :D
Loved all the pictures in here - thanks!!! :mrgreen:

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

I'm agree with Haymarketaddict, Richard Widmark aint a comedy actor, and Miss Day and Gig Young, Elizabeth Fraser, they were the only persons that make this movie interesting to watch.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I agree with haymarket and puck. I also have always wondered why Gig young never got to play one of doris' leading men, he was darling , very classy and sexy. Just dont get it ... :?
suzie

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

suzie wrote:I agree with haymarket and puck. I also have always wondered why Gig young never got to play one of doris' leading men, he was darling , very classy and sexy. Just dont get it ... :?
and of all the movies I've seen with him - with and without Doris .. he never gets the "girl" ... WHY ? :( He really was great ... and according to Doris a lot of fun, right?

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Its been many years since I saw this movie. TTOL would have been much better in color. I think the money would have been well spent had they done that. The story line itself was very modern, however being done in black and white made it seem out of date and cheaply done. I try and picture this movie being produced by Ross Hunter and I see a completely different movie . Would have been very interesting. :wink:
I normally dont want to see B&W movies colorized (Julie )for instance, it seem to add to the drama and darkness that that movie needed to produce . Comedy like TTOL, needed color and a more modern touch to such a modern subject.
suzie

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Nicely put, Suzie....I agree.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

"Runaway, Skidaddle Skidoo..."

I came across Marion's (German film) version on YouTube - sung by Doris but you can hear her dubbed German voice before she starts to sing. :) I think Marion said the same person dubs her voice for each film.

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

I love ALL of Doris' work, period! :D
With that being said, I have to admit that I disliked this movie because of the storyline. Also, as much as I love to hear Doris sing (I would happily listen to her sing the phone book!), I felt that the song ("Run Away, Skeedaddle, Skeedoo") was out of place, and a little silly.
In my opinion, Doris' presence in the movie is what saved it from becoming a total farce.
I do agree that it should have been filmed in color, although I don't think it would have improved the movie much. Some of Doris' movies--like Young Man With a Horn, Storm Warning, Julie, seemed to call for black-and-white.
Either way, though, Doris looked beautiful! :)
Hope everyone has a lovely "Day"!! :)

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

For me this was a boring film----nothing funny about it ! It dragged on and on------filmed on the same set throughout most of the movie.
Not a good role for Doris. She acted fine but the script let her down. Total mismatch between her and Widmark---her singing was wonderful but I recall that the late GIA SKALA was given a more effective role in this film.
It was also a very 'talkie' film-----long stretches of dialogue and no truly funny lines.
Sorry I could not sit through this one again !

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

I could and have sat through this many times. Any film of Doris' is worth seeing, although this one is not a favorite. Just watching her is enough for me. We only have the 39 and no more on the way, so they are all gems in their own way for me.

Lauren

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Gene Kelly, Elisabeth Fraser, Gia Scala and Doris :D
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

tonyrandall

Unread post by tonyrandall »

Gig Young must be the reason Quagmire on Family Guy says "giggity, giggity ,giggity" all the time. What a loathsome movie. Contrived and poorly written, they go from frogmarch sex to adopting right away? Then the stereotype foreign babe floats in? I don't believe any of the characters, especially Widmark's, had any redeeming qualities.
But then I love her singing and looks, not her movies.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

The probelms with The Tunnel of Love are similar to those of Do Not Disturb, Where Were You When The Light Went Out and Caprice. They all have weak screenplays with Tunnel of Love and Where Were You When The LightsWent Out being low comedy not worthy of Doris Day's talent.

The casting is wrong with each of these films with the common denominator, the leading men are not funny. These films have a comedic legend as their lead and mostly unfunny indivuals surroundging her.

Doris' fans did not like to see in films with unsavoury themes. Doris does manage to bring some humanity and humour to her role as Isolde Poole.

It is surprising that the talented Gene Kelly could not have been a stronger director with The Tunnel of Love.
Johnny

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Sydney Guilaroff told me an interesting story about "Tunnel" when I was helping him compile his history for what would eventually become his book, "Crowning Glory". Sydney worked on "Tunnel" and the original plan was to have Glenn Ford co-star since he'd had a series of popular comedies and would have several more in the years to come. Marty, however, vetoed the idea because of Ford's salary demands which, in light of his popularity at the time, were justified. Marty wanted to keep costs way down and thus the filming in black and white, something he'd also insisted on for the 1956 "Julie". Arwin would recoup their profit participation sooner if costs were lower. Kelly "sleepwalked" (Sydney's words as he'd known him since he came to MGM in 1942) through his directing chores because he was angry. It was the end of his MGM contract and the studio had no interest in putting him in front of the camera insofar as his previous several films (including "It's Always Fair Weather", "Invitation to the Dance", etc.) had lost millions for the studio. When Ford had been turned down, Kelly had offered himself as leading man and director but that received a resounding no. I think, mainly because of Rosenthal, Marty was consumed with keeping costs down so there would be more money to funnel to Rosenthal. This caused him to hire cut rate directors like Ralph Levy for "Disturb" and Hy Averback for "Light". Levy had a successful television career directing half hour episodes of Jack Benny's program and "Burns and Allen" but could not inject that extra something into a script like "Do Not Disturb". Averback knew Doris from his days as announcer of Bob Hope's radio show and directed dozens of successful television programs, however he too lacked the skill needed to elevate a movie to something special. The hiring of Levy and Averback was able to chop more than $ 100,000 off the budgets of their respective films which was all that mattered to Marty it would seem. Likewise, hiring writers who could have taken the basic premise and built on it with stylish writing would also have added a great deal of money. One of the few times that Marty's hiring of television talent for films actually worked was the hiring of Howard Morris to helm "Eggroll". He did a genuinely fine job on the film.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Fascinating, Paul. Thanks for the inside information. It's always so well appreciated!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree with Howard Paul - fascinating as always. I heard a tape DD did for fans in England prior to making this film where she mentioned Glen Ford as her next leading man! Why oh why didn't they take Gene Kelly up on his offer- didn't know about that! I'd have loved to have seen Doris and Gene together, although ideally, in a great musical.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Really interesting, Paul, as usual. I always liked Glenn Ford and think he and DD would've been great together, but am not sure that even that pairing could've rescued this film. With the exception of the title song, almost everything about it is so pedestrian.

Pianoman

Unread post by Pianoman »

I saw this film but once but never again. It was most boring. Obviously, it was a low budgeted movie and Richard Widmark was woefully miscast in a comedy. He was usually famous for stock heavies and the like. I believe there was mostly one set for the film and oddly enough GIA SKALA actually had the better role than our beloved Doris. I got the impression that Doris was none too impressed by her work in this movie. I read in the Kaufmann book that Glenn Ford was originally slated for the Widmark role but that was not to be. Doubt Ford would have been any better. Doris' film career was in a slump when this one was made. She was at an impasse on where to go with her movies. The musical era had ended and the options were few so of course there was going to be some floundering in less than stellar projects.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

After watching The Tunnel of Love on TCM on Sunday evening I found it to be a thought- provoking experience that made me look at the film in a different light. It had ben a long time since I last saw the film.

The opening of the film with Doris and Richard Widmark riding in a convertible with the upbeat title song playing gave a feel-good feeling. They looked like a happy couple in love. The Tunnel of Love needed to be filmed in colour to brighten and lighten the film. Doris was born to be filmed in colour. Could you imagine if Romance On the High Seas had been filmed in black and white? Out of Doris' 39 films , nine were filmed in black and white. Only two, Strom Warning and Young Man With A Horn warranted the black and white treatment.
Glenn Ford was originally scheduled to play Richard's character, the uptight Augie Poole. It has been mentioned several times that Richard Widmark was miscast. He said this as well. The part would have been perfect for Jack Lemmon.

A major flaw with the film was idea of the Social Worker (Gia Scala) finding Augie attractive and the scene where they appear to be driving to a motel. What couple would consider adopting a child from an agency with the Social Worker crossing professional lines. It is definitely not funny and offensive. Imagine what the film might have been if Augie had dreamed that the situation had happened after taking the sedative. This situation would have been similar to Tom Ewell's character in The Seven Year Itch with Marilyn Monroe.
The situation might have been a great deal funnier if it had been played broadly with an actress like Peggy Cass was in the dream as The Social Worker. Remember Peggy Cass as Agnes Gooch in Auntie Mame. The adoption of a child seemed to be incidental and trivialized.

The film focused mainly on the men, Augie and his womanizing neighbour (Dick) and father of four, played by Gig Young. One of the most offensive lines in the film is said by Augue to Dick about women -"You pick them up like used razor blades and throw them away". Doris' character (Isolde Poole) and Dick's wife Alice, (Elizabeth Frazer) seem to play much smaller parts. When they are on screen the film is much more interesting.

Ben Mankiewicz, the TCM host said that Time Magazine described the film as "Smutty". A number of films during this period dealt with adultery and were superior , e.g. The Apartment-1960 and Sweet Bird of Youth and the aforementioned, The Seven Year Itch.

The Tunnel of Love started filming on January 22, 1958 and was completed during the first week of March. It was released in November 1958. Unlike the Broadway play, the film did not do well at the box office. Fortunately, in April of the same year, Teacher's Pet was released and was praised. Gig Young received an Academy Award nomination for Teacher's Pet.

Doris deserved a better film with a better screenplay than The Tunnel of Love. She is the major bright spot in the film.
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Some very valid and interesting points Johnny.