Julie

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Julie"?

Poor
2%
Average
21%
Good
45%
Excellent
33%

Total votes: 58

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Notwithstanding the fact that we have a Quiz going now (!) in this thread, I decided to go back to the previous page and re-read the offending material (and around it)...

And after reading "What is a wet circuit" under "About wetcircuit" it comes clear--this is intended to be what it is, a "little mind___" (game). Fantasy. It's "fun" in the 21st Century--else why would a New Yorker (or transplanted Brit) be going on about "Pan Am" in the present tense (not to mention "air hostess" and "stewardess"). Or that in the story Julie went BACK to flying with the airline.

Nothing computes, but that's supposed to be the FUN of it, see..

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Julie pics

Unread post by webmaster »

"It's nice, here."

"Well, it was until I met this psycho."

webmaster

Julie

Unread post by webmaster »

http://www.coolcinematrash.com/movies/julie.htm

Question: was this the only film Doris smoked in?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Smoking

Unread post by Jas1 »

Re- Smoking

Doris smoked in 'Romance on the High Seas'; 'Young man with a horn'; & 'Love me or Leave me' - need to think more......

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Julie pic

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi there,

Love this one:

Peter

Ken
Honorary Member

Review for Julie

Unread post by Ken »

I liked " Julie " very much. I have never paid much attention to what a reviewer had to say about a movie as many times something they find great was dumb and boring to me. A review of a movie is one person's opinion.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Peter - love that, too !!
She really looked terrific in Julie.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

find a picture of Miss Day with her double-standin Ruth Gordon, who acts her first inportant screen role in Miss Day's thriller "Julie".

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Puck, Where do you get these pictures/ I've never saw them before!

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

I got them from Ebay, and I did crop them with a program, to share them on the forum. and if you want more to see pictures of Miss Day look at Marktplaats.nl, a Dutch site, just like ebay, there is a persoon who has many pictures to sell, and more, the only problem is, you can't download them, only print them, and buy them of course.

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

Julie is one of my favorite DD films. It is so true to the time period, probably due to the filming locations. I also think Doris was excellent in the part. We're all used to disaster/distress movies now, but a stewardess landing a plane was probably a new thing in 1956! And, being an old car nut, I love all the vintage Chrysler products - one from each of the divisions, and all with push button transmissions!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Julie

Unread post by ray »

Julie had a great 50's feel and Julie smoking cigarettes and scabbling some eggs on her night off, plus the Carmel location, make for a perfect picture of that time. Many of us lived through those fab 50's!!

c.j

Unread post by c.j »

grt film luv the location best scene taking control of the airplane tooo coool

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Image Image Image
These photos I did find on ebay today, I love the second one.

puck
Honorary Member

Re: Julie

Unread post by puck »

Great to be back !
Image Image

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

Must say that I love this movie.Doris looked so lovely and acted superbly.The movie itself kept me interested and at times on the edge of my seat.If you,ve never seen this movie , you should,its great. :shock:

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

I haven't seen this one yet - but I DEFINITELY want to - am I right that's it not out on DVD ??? And the tape is SO expensive - almost $ 30 on amazon :( :( :( :( That's really to much ....
I guess I can just hope for the telly :cry:

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Hi, Anka,Yes you should give this great movie a try. I love it. I do wish it had been filmed in color, but for what ever reason its in black and white ." I,ll see you in my dreams " is another doris movie in black and white, and its great too. Hope your able to find julie. :wink:
suzie

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I hear that "Julie" will be out on dvd some time within a year or so.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

Anke

I don't really know how satellite TV works in Germany, but if you TCM, which is the Turner Classic Movie channel, it will on August 10 and 11. It is "Doris Day" day. Maybe someone in the states could record it for you.

I don't own a DVD recorder.
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Laurie wrote:Anke

I don't really know how satellite TV works in Germany, but if you TCM, which is the Turner Classic Movie channel, it will on August 10 and 11. It is "Doris Day" day. Maybe someone in the states could record it for you.

I don't own a DVD recorder.

OOOH I would give my right arm to have TCM - I know it - I used to watch it when I was in America - but of course I don't have that channel here :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: And unfortunately I don't know anyone who could tape it for me :cry:
Guess I have to wait until the DVD comes out - with tapes - you pay more for the shipping to Germany than for the original tape - it sucks!!!!! :(

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I just watched this movie for the first time today. I recorded it with my DVR because it was on so early. I loved it from the first time I heard Doris' lovely singing voice. The movie was perfect, full of suspence and full of Doris. The ending ruined it for me though. I had to rate this one good, rather that excellent. It is very unlikely that a stewardess could land an airplane, let alone fly it. And the ending just all together sucked... I mean, what happens to Julie Benton??? Do her and Cliff get together??? That's what me and my friend were thinking the whole time, will Julie and Cliff get together?? But, no there's no explanation for anything. Doris lands the plane, and that's it... I found the ending very un-satisfying..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I do love this movie, but I sure wish marty would have spent the money and had the picture made in color.Carmel is too beautiful to see it in black - white. I think it would have made it more glossy and richer looking.
suzie

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

I agree with you Suzie.

After visiting Carmel, it is beautiful and I think just looking at the scenery would be gorgeous while watching it.

I do like this movie a lot, I guess I hadn't watched it in a while since I couldn't get Barb's clue that had be stumped.

Carol

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »