Julie

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Julie"?

Poor
2%
Average
21%
Good
45%
Excellent
33%

Total votes: 58

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Re: Doris Day in Julie

Unread post by sunnygail »

Julie is one of my favorites ! :D

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I wonder why you hardly ever see "Julie " on television anymore, I have always loved this movie. I know alot of people think its a very poor movie, but I personally think its as good as Hitchcocks movies. Yes, it might have its hoakey moments, but so did "The man who knew to much ."The part where Her husband goes into the taxadermey place was very hoakie, what with him fighting the other men using the stuffed animals, very phoney. :roll: I guess I will have to buy Julie ,in order to see it. :wink:
suzie

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

It's one of her few films not on DVD - I really like it too - and yes, Suzie, it does have that (low budget) Hitchcock feel to it.
But I hate seeing Doris upset and having to deal with someone who wants to kill her! :evil:

And, as fans, we know she had to have major (delayed) surgery at the end (?) of filming because of a tumour that meant she couldn't have any more children after the op.

I love the song too:
http://www.dorisday.net/julie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BBC comment: "Day is radiant and Jourdan very convincing as the baddie, while Hollywood stalwarts Barry Sullivan and Frank Lovejoy give perfectly weighted supporting performances. In the film's most memorable scene, Day has to land a plane with the help of ground crew, a sequence later copied for Airport 1975 and parodied in Airplane!."
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

webmaster wrote:It's one of her few films not on DVD - I really like it too - and yes, Suzie, it does have that (low budget) Hitchcock feel to it.
But I hate seeing Doris upset and having to deal with someone who wants to kill her! :evil:

And, as fans, we know she had to have major (delayed) surgery at the end (?) of filming because of a tumour that meant she couldn't have any more children after the op.

I love the song too:
http://www.dorisday.net/julie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BBC comment: "Day is radiant and Jourdan very convincing as the baddie, while Hollywood stalwarts Barry Sullivan and Frank Lovejoy give perfectly weighted supporting performances. In the film's most memorable scene, Day has to land a plane with the help of ground crew, a sequence later copied for Airport 1975 and parodied in Airplane!."
to think that Doris had to go all the way down to Marrakech for "the man who.."and then taking a lovely leading role in Carmel with Louis Jourdan at her side!!Having to get the feeling as being a stewardess.
I cannnot believe I never saw the film...
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Dorine , if you ever get the chance to see "Julie " you should , it kept me on the edge of my seat, its certainly not a lite easy going type of film , its dark and scarry and Doris and Louis are great in it. :shock:
suzie

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Re: Julie

Unread post by suzie »

I noticed that "Julie " was made around the time of the Melchers anniversery and Doris' birthday . I was just wondering how many movies were made by Doris during these occations . I got to thinking, "thats too bad " and then I realized that I almost always work on my birthday as well lol. :oops: I guess super stars are no different ....
suzie

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I think that it is so sweet that her anniversary and birthday is on the same day. That way she can celebrate even more.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Julie is an excellent 1956 thriller due to the fact that the audience always cares about Doris. When did you ever see a female actress land a passenger plane in distress?. Doris did a great job. If it had been filmed in colour it would have showcased the magnificent Carmel, Califonia.

Johnny
Johnny

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

Did anyone ever hear if "Julie " was a finacial success ? I wonder what it grossed . In Doris' book she mentions the exspeience of making the movie but never mentioned if it was a $$$ success. Just curious. BILL

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

Julie is one of my favorites too.

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

Julie and the following film, I think it was "Tunnel of Love", were essentially made by Marty, Doris's husband, who rather aggressively took over her career after Warner Bros. Both were not well received. Julie is a rather poorly made film where narration destroys the suspense - but the photography was nice. "Tunnel of Love" was much improved, and apparently Marty simplified his process, and it was improved - but not a big hit. She then made "It happened to Jane" which was actually a very good film but .. poorly marketed and entitled, and so it suffered for those reasons.

Then..... Lew Wasserman(MCA) took charge and Doris was hooked up with Ross Hunter as producer. Doris became a virgin again (which made her very happy), and they made "Pillow Talk".
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

webmaster

And, of course, Gene Kelly directed "Tunnel of Love, which, if you think about it, had an excellent cast also.

But I wonder why "Julie" and "Tunnel of Love" were made in black and white?

Doris was a Technicolor treat and should always have been shot in colour. Black and white gave those films the appearance of cheap B Movies and I'm sure they would have been much more successful in glorious Technicolor with the kind of production values that Doris films usually received.

I wonder if Mr Melcher was trying to save a buck or two? :wink:

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

Have always thought it a shame that "Julie" was in black and white....with the scenery and filming outside and such. It's hard now to look back on a time where a decision was made to either film in color or black and white...can you imagine that happening now?

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle »

CokieCola wrote:It's hard now to look back on a time where a decision was made to either film in color or black and white...can you imagine that happening now?
It's seems that nowadays the big decision for directors and producers will be whether to film in 3D or 2D! It's being touted that James Cameron's 3D movie, Avatar, will be the shape of cinema to come.
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

You know what would be really cool ? If someone would put on a show featuring bits and peices of Doris' movies , along with some of her songs .... I for one would love going to see something like that. Julie is one of my favorites and gave all of us some insight as to just how very talented Doris is. :D
suzie

webmaster

A bit of fun - and a great song from Doris. :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I really liked that Bryan. Thank you.

webmaster

Thanks Jas. I feel I'd really like to rediscover this film - it would be great to watch a good print on a cinema screen with some other fans.

Maybe I'm too suggestible but I became more curious about it having read David Kaufman's comment that he thought it was a great film noir. I've been watching some film noir recently, "Murder My Sweet", "The Lady From Shanghi" and a couple of documentaries. A number of my friends are getting into it as well and we're planning to watch some - although we've already been to the NFT (National Film Theatre) in London to see Hitchcock's "The Lady Vanishes" and "Sabotage", which I had to leave as it was making me too tense (must have been feeling that way anyway) . It's a nice break from the modern world,

Below is a great site for old films, including noir ('dark films', Megan, :wink: attempting to show a side of life not normally seen on the screen in this way, murder, betrayal, crime, desperation, in stark black and white. There's usually a 'dame', often a beautiful blonde, who wraps the hero around her fingers and takes him to the cleaners).

Also on there:

http://onlyoldmovies.blogspot.com/search?q=doris+day

You can also download them - I'm stating that as a fact, not as a suggestion. 8)

So I've been thinking about "Julie" in those terms - I think "Storm Warning" could also fit into this category.

http://dorisday.net/blog/?page_id=70

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Bryan, I love how you know when I'm not going to understand something! Thank you for explaining, I didn't know what noir meant. I'll have to check some of those out. Thanks for the information Bryan!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Bryan, I love Sabotage. One of my favorite early Hitchcocks. The bus scene is an absolute classic.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Actually John, I got "Notorious" confused with "Sabotage" :oops:
Haven't seen Sabotage yet but will look out for the bus scene when I do!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028212/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

It would be great to see, Storm Warning, Young Man With a Horn, Love Me Or Leave Me, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Julie, and Midnight Lace presented as a drama festival on the big screen to honour the dramatic acting talents of Doris Day. She was truly under appreciated for these talents.

Johnny
Johnny

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

That would be nice Johnny.

Bryan - I LOVE film noir, very much. I wrote piece a while ago about the depiction of homosexuality in this genre at a time when it was virtually ignored/ banned from all other genres of film, try the nuances in Maltese Falcon and GILDA if you don't know what I mean!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Bryan, that's too funny about Notorious. That's not too shabby a film, either. :wink: Definitely check out Sabotage sometime. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts on it. And I love that poster!

Johnny, that would be wonderful.

Jas, that's a great topic for a piece. Noir is definitely a fascinating glimpse into the "taboo" human psyche of the times.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

JULIE: Must I go where he leads me?

Here's a taste of "Julie" - this is dedicated to Doris Martin.
In my YouTube comment I said "
"A great film noir." - David Kaufman.
An Arwin-MGM film - still awating DVD Release. Come on Warners, there's a market out there.

I wonder if Arwin need to give permission or somethng? Anyone know?

(A few jumpy cuts - it's a jumpy film.)