Julie

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Julie"?

Poor
2%
Average
21%
Good
45%
Excellent
33%

Total votes: 58

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Julie

Unread post by webmaster »

Nice thought, Suzie, although she says 'never look back' - it could be painful - I hear it's going to be released on DVD.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

Oh wow, I hope so! I need only four titles to complete my collection!!
(The Ballad of Josie, Midnight Lace, Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?, and Julie)
I hope these four titles will be released on DVD soon!!!!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Re-watched Julie a few months ago at a friend's house- again, thoroughly enjoyed it.

webmaster

I came across Julie on DVD (all regions) for sale on a UK 'rare and cult movies' website:

http://www.vicpine.co.uk/Julie.htm

Here's a full list of their films:

http://www.vicpine.co.uk/rare-video-pricecheck.htm

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Oh my...thanks so much for the info! I will definitely be ordering this after the holidays (Christmas shopping has left me rather pinched!! LOL)

Hope you're having a lovely "Day"!!

God Bless,
Rachel

webmaster

Well if you are not in a hurry, Rachel, I think I read somewhere that it might be released 'officially' on DVD in 2011 and it will probably be cheaper! If not buy it then to complete your collection.

Morbid (but interesting!) thought: what will happen to all of our DD collections when we die? Or 'Who will land the plane? :)

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Not long ago I was in Monterey/Carmel and took a movie tour and they showed us where Julie was filmed! I walked on that very beach! :D
I want to put up pictures from the tour but I have a hard time getting them up here! Bryan, could you help me with that please? You really do need to see these pictures! I have them up on my facebook profile, so if you are my facebook friend, you can take a look right now!

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Ooooo....that's great news, Bryan! Thanks so much :)

I will wait (impatiently! LOL).

God Bless,
Rachel

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

I'm also looking forward for Julie to be out on DVD!!! I have an old VHS tape of it and I paid quite a bit for it! On DVD would be wonderful! :D

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Last night I watched Julie again on my old VHS tape. It's been awhile since I watched it. It was fun watching all the places I visited in Monterey! What a scary movie!
People who don't know Doris' work like we do really need to see this movie. Very different from many movies she made. This really shows a different side to her talent. She is a great serious actress too! But we all here know that!

howard
Special Contributer

Julie now available on dvd!

Unread post by howard »

A re--mastered "Julie" dvd is now available on the WB web site. Here's the link:

http://www.wbshop.com/Julie/1000187714, ... html?cgid=
Like Irene Dunne done.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Just saw the film for the first time,I think it is grately performed by all actors.Doris looks lovely and so convincingly tragic,she put down a neat role.The surroundings were beautiful,come to think she settled down in Carmel later,after having fallen in love with the area shooting this movie.
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara »

webmaster wrote:Image

http://www.coolcinematrash.com/movies/julie.htm

Question: was this the only film Doris smoked in?
No remember Romance On the High Sea's, and Jack Carson lighting her cigarette out on the ship deck?

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Doris smoked in her very first film - and many more!

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Have a nice week :D Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

kimster

Unread post by kimster »

I purchased "Julie" from Amazon.com and watched it over the Thanksgving week-end. Her performance was excellent. She adeptly showed the tension and near hysteria of her situation. I hadn't seen this movie since I was young, so this was a treat. She as also very beautiful in this film.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Julie is a a terrific film full of suspense and excitement. I wished that it had been filmed in colour. Carmel California is one of the most beautiful locations on earth.

Midnight Lace is a similar film in theme of a woman in danger. It looks so beautiful in colour and the color enhances the suspense.

Doris did a great job in both films, being vulnerable and yet strong. Imagine having to land an airplane with no experience. This is a great plotline for 1956.

Both films are well worth watching.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

I watched Julie last night on TCM nd the suspense is great from the opening shot of worried Julie, (Doris) running to her car and her angry husband, Louis Jordan jumping in the convertible beside her as they go speeding along the twisiting roads of Carmel California. He has his foot over hers on the gas peddle.

This exact scene including the convertible was replayed in Back Street with John Gavin driving and angry Vera Miles putting her foot over his on the gas peddle as they speed along the roadway. They are both killed.

Doris is excellent and believable as usual but I found the chemiistry with Louis Jordan lacking. I think Louis Jordan is a fine actor but not with Doris. I would have liked to see Montgomery Clift as the jealous classical pianist. Other actors Doris may have better chemisty with are William Holden, Gregory Peck, Robert Stack or even Marlon Brando, (who was born on the same day as Doris).

Barry Sullivan was perfect in his part as the supportive friend.
Regarless, Julie is a terrific tale of suspense. It was odd to see Doris smoke.
Johnny

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

There is a remastered version of this cult classic at amazon. RIP Louis Jourdan.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Not only did Jourdan appear with Doris in "Julie," he lived across the street from her on Crescent Drive in Beverly Hills.
Like Irene Dunne done.

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Last month "Julie" played on the big screen here in San Francisco as part of 'Noir City 13' -- a Saturday afternoon devoted to three of Andrew Stone's black-and-whites including "Cry Terror".. "Julie" was the middle one. There are scenes shot in SF and at the airport, of course, as well as in Carmel/Pebble Beach.

Unexpectedly for me, Eddie Muller (who's always run the annual 'Noir City' here) introduced the movie from the stage. It was close to a 15-minute tribute to Doris, her careers, her life, her long list of abilities! "She could do anything!" he said. The introduction got a huge round of applause from an almost sold-out house.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Thats wonderful Dave, TCM should do a tribute to Louis Jourdan and of course highlight Julie, I am sure they will. They love Doris and she did a good phone in interview last year and sounded terrific with Robert Osborne. Wish she would do even a filmed hello from Carmel to introduce the restored Calamity Jane, So far they have Julie Andrews, Ann Maragret,Sophia Loren and Dustin Hoffman. For the 2015 TCM Film Festival.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

A bit of trivia: Leith Stevens, who got an Oscar nomination for writing the title song for "Julie" was the orchestra conductor on Doris's 1951 recording of "We Kiss in a Shadow."

Renie
Forum Friend

Unread post by Renie »

Musiclover:

I greatly admire your knowledge about all things Doris Day. If ever there is a game show on TV where all the questions are related to Doris, you need to be on it, as, you would win hands down.

Renie

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Very sweet of you, Renie, but I'm just an amateur researcher who is in awe of DD's talent.