Starlift

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate Starlift?

Poor
7%
Average
47%
Good
17%
Excellent
10%
Haven't seen it
20%

Total votes: 30

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Starlift

Unread post by webmaster »

The last film on the list - I've never seen it and know little about it. Only die-hard Doris fans like Howard Green have copies of this forgotten film!

Looking for info I came across this review:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044070/
As a movie this barely rates a 4 but for movie fans of the 1940s period, it's almost a must-see and rates a 9 as a variety show! I was drawn to watch this by the presence of Richard (Captain Midnight) Webb who plays the Colonel in charge of the event.

What surprised me was the stunning performance of Doris Day. Outside of 'Calamity Jane', I've never seen her put over a song better than she does here.

Randolph Scott is memorable as well, even if he doesn't see much screen time. It's been a while since I saw the movie but I was almost sure Humphrey Bogart put in an appearance. With so many familiar faces, it's hard to keep track. If it ever turns up on a TV station near you, be sure to catch the Doris Day sequence, if nothing else!
http://www.dorisday.net/starlift.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Doris in a big cameo

Unread post by Ralph »

"Starlift" was not about Doris Day. She was one of the stars that went to an air force base to entertain the troops. She, James Cagney, Ruth Roman, Gordon MacRae, Virginia Mayo, Gene Nelson, etc.

Day was "perky," "smiley," "cute," and very DORIS DAY. The movie centered around a romance involving Janice Rule and a soldier.

I lost interest after Doris' appearance.

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

Same with me Ralph. After Doris leaves the base to work on a movie I lost interest in the film. It was neat to see Doris play herself.I enjoyed the scene where she talks to a solidier in the hospital who is in the phone.He tells the person he is talking to Doris Day is walking up to my bed.

joe kearney

STARLIFT

Unread post by joe kearney »

I am agreat fan of doris day,and new to web sites,However now that i am retired,Ihave more time,to pursue things close to my heart,For many years i have been looking for amovie,STARLIFT,Doris,played a cameo roll.Itwas while searching the net i found this site,can anyone give me any info,on it,regards from DUBLIN,JOE K :?

Kian

Unread post by Kian »

Joe

If you click on the link below then you'll be taken to the web page with more information on Starlift:

I hope that helps.

Kian

joe kearney

thank u kian

Kian wrote:Joe
If you click on the link below then you'll be taken to a web page with more information on Starlift:

I hope that helps.

Kian

Thank you Kian, more informed now. Hope Warner Bros release it again soon,as i would love a copy.

joe kearney

starlift

I have serched for years,for the film "STARLIFT" and then come across a
web site talking about it,I tell you folks,my retirement is starting to pay off.to get a copy of this is difficult as warner bros have withdrawn it some time ago,help? regards from dublin,joe k :P

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I don't know how to rate this film because it is like a variety show for the military. Doris appears in the first half hour and sings three songs (excluding Lullaby of Broadway, which she sings on the phone to prove that she's Doris Day). The first song she sings with Gordon MacRae. I like the several references to Youngstown, Ohio, because I live in the area. There is sort of a thin plot that runs though the movie about a starlette that meets a serviceman from her hometown, Youngstown, Ohio, and a gossip columnist that prints a story that the two are seeing each other. I too lost interest halfway through the film. I guess I would rate this good, not for the plot, but for the performances of the stars.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

I find these on my pc, a magazine article on the movie "Starlift", it's from a Singapore magazine date March 1952, called Movie News.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

webmaster

Photos

Thanks Puck.

The actor next to James Cagney played "Francis Fryer" in "Calamity Jane", didn't he?

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I believe you're right -- that looks like Dick Wesson who played Fryer.

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

you maybe right, Brain, by the way, I did find the picture of "Starlift" on ebay, they offers the movie on DVD.

Puck

webmaster

Starlift

Thanks Puck.

By the way, I did a search for free photo editing software and came across PhotoPlus:

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/softwa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... efault.asp

I tried it (the free version) and it seems easy to use.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

clips from starlift

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

Nice pics! A little large though.

Here are 3 clips from Starlift of Doris singing

with Gordon MacRea: Your Gonna Lose Your Gal

It's S'Wonderful

You Otta Be in Pictures/ You Do Something to Me

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Re: Starlift

Unread post by littlepinetree »

On Easter, I saw this on my new box set.
To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed in it. There is nothing wrong having a movie with a big cast of entertainers, but I don't think it belongs in a "Doris Day" box set! She's in the movie only for a few minutes. It would be better if it was released only in a single DVD.
I did enjoy seeing her in the little time she was in it. So cool she was playing herself in something!
I loved it when she had to prove she is Doris Day on the phone! :lol:
She is way better than the other female singers in the movie. Doris is the most flawless singer I've ever heard.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

littlepinetree wrote:On Easter, I saw this on my new box set.
To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed in it. There is nothing wrong having a movie with a big cast of entertainers, but I don't think it belongs in a "Doris Day" box set! She's in the movie only for a few minutes. It would be better if it was released only in a single DVD.
I did enjoy seeing her in the little time she was in it. So cool she was playing herself in something!
I loved it when she had to prove she is Doris Day on the phone! :lol:
She is way better than the other female singers in the movie. Doris is the most flawless singer I've ever heard.
I agree with everything you just said. :)
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

webmaster

"Starlift" sounds like a surgical procedure. :oops:

Interesting point you make, Lisa, my box hasn't arrived yet so I haven't seen it, but Doris's name was top of the cast list. I doubt if it would have been reissued otherwise - or as a single DVD,

So what's left? Julie, The Winning Team.. any more?

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Hi Webmaster,

The Winning Team is already available throuhg a Ronald Reagan collection. It's now seperatly available. Don't care for that movie much, but I love Doris singing: "Old Saint Nicolas there.

I think only:
1. Julie
&
2. Where Were You Where The Lights Went Out?
are not yet available on dvd.

P

webmaster

Thanks, Peter.

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I have come to like STARLIFT which is probably not a popular opinion.
Its a highly entertaining film - I do wish that DD's role was a bit longer - but she does get to sing 3 solo songs plus a cute duet with Gordon MacRae. It is always wonderful to hear her sing - period !
As for the role itself - it is quite charming for the duration in which she appears. Her personality blended well with Ruth Roman & Janice Rule while her scene with the injured soldier at the hospital was most heartwarming.
It will never be granted the status of a 'classic' but sure wish we had entertainment like this nowadays !

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I watched this film again. It sort of grows on one with repeated viewings. Why ? Because its unpretentious and is quite fun in parts.
DD's role was fine though I think it could have been a bit longer. She should have been brought back again towards the end of the film---instead of just vanishing without a further explanation.
All the songs she got to sing were excellent and enjoyable !
Does anyone know much about Lucille Norman ? I liked her voice as well.
Ms. Wymore & Ms. Rule were quite fine dancers.
Gary Cooper in a musical production number was quite a hoot !

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

After watching Starlift on TCM last week, I was plesantlly surprised at how much I enjoyed seeing all the great performers. I did not remember much about it and definitely now have a new appreciation for this film's time and place. It is really special to see so many performers in one production. Phil Harris is hilarious. Who knew Jane Wyman could sing? Gary Cooper, Gordon Mac Rae and Virginia Mayo were all great fun. It seemed odd to see Doris wearing a fur stole. Her warmth and smile lit up the screen.

Al in all Starlift is entertaining and fun to watch just for all the terrific talent.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Starlift was Doris' ninth film. The origin of the story according to Kaufman's book is based on Ruth Roman's experience at Travis Air Force Base. She entertained troops there before they left for Korea and when they returned, often wounded.

Doris' work on the film began on May 21, 1951 and ended on June 20th. Doris said she and Ruth Roman liked being themselves in the film. They found making the film an enjoyable experience and they howled with laughter when they were together. The film was released in December 1951.

Many of Doris' co-stars in this film worked with her in other films. They were Gordon Mac Rae, Virginia Mayo, James Cagney, Frank Lovejoy, Patrice Wymore, and Gene Nelson.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Another Starlift co-star who appeared later several times with Doris was Hayden Rorke.