Doris Day Today!

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris Day Today!

Unread post by ray » 20 Dec 2006, 13:00

With Doris's final Tv Special coming out in 2007, can't believe that was her last music variety, she was superb in this format. Her knockout songs on this special, Anythng Goes, Day By Day from Godspell, The Way We Were and also her duets with John Denver, I loved the Sunshine Melodey they did together. She did well with Rich Little, singing many of her movie songs.
April, who has a wonerful DD fan site, visited Doris in Carmel the day before John Denver died in that plane crash in 1997. Doris told April Terry and John had golfed together and Doris was planning on seeing John soon. John had moved to Carmel. Doris talked to the local radio station after John's early tragic death.
Doris and John left us with a beautiful music hour with this specail to cherish and remember.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Doris Day Today

Unread post by ray » 20 Dec 2006, 13:26

Can't wait to see the cover jacket photo for this TV Special. MPI has done a good job in that department so far and I am sure the DD Today photo will be just as good. Though I wasn't so thrilled with the third seaon TV series photo cover. The fourth and fifth season photos are good too.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 03 Jan 2007, 03:14

I totally agree Ray! I hope they also have alternate and stereo takes for this special like they did on the first one. That was awesome. Almost like getting 2 shows for the price of one. And to have any additional takes of her and John Denver would be wonderful! Of course, I'll be ecstatic to get the show even with no extras, but Jim Pierson and MPI really pull out all the stops on their Doris releases, and I bet we'll get some good extras on the second special as well!

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Hello John

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 03 Jan 2007, 05:11

Hi John,

I really love your photo... It's one of the photo's with Rock Hudson and I always find that photo has such great class.

I hope you'll enjoy it on this forum, it's always great to hear new people. It's an amazing growing group here. Let every Day fan come to visit here... I like that.

Peter

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 03 Jan 2007, 14:56

Hi Peter. Thanks for the warm welcome. I love that photo of Eunice and Ernie as well. One of my favorites.

helen1985

Unread post by helen1985 » 30 Jan 2007, 20:01

how often where the specials in the Doris day show and what was different about them to the normal shows? I have yet to see the DDShow, and im trying to figure out what it was all about.. I thought Doris played a widow who had 2sons and moved somewhere? lol
I really should buy the dvds..

Jas1
Honorary Member

reply to Helen

Unread post by Jas1 » 01 Feb 2007, 06:49

Helen,

The 'specials' were nothing to do with the tv series which ran for 5 seasons. They were variety tv [musical/ comedy] specials with special guests and were recorded in 1971 and 1975. Doris was 'herself' not the character of "Doris Martin" whom she portrayed in the series.

helen1985

Unread post by helen1985 » 01 Feb 2007, 19:21

Oh I see! Thankyou for clearing that up for me! so if this is the last one thats being released, that means the previous are already available right?

Helen

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 02 Feb 2007, 07:06

Season 1-4 of the tv show "Doris Day show" has been released in the UK as has the 1971 tv special. Season 5 of the show, and the 1975 tv special have not been released [to date] and neither has the 1985 'Best Friends' show.

helen1985

Unread post by helen1985 » 02 Feb 2007, 10:30

okies. another thing to look for!! woohoo! :D

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Doris Day Today

Unread post by Ralph » 05 Oct 2007, 21:07

I haven't seen this posted here before, but if it has been, excuse this.

LuckyDay

Unread post by LuckyDay » 04 Dec 2007, 10:40

I was sure I saw this Doris Day Today special back 33 years ago when it was made. That was in 1975 the year after I'd had my own personal encounter with Ms Day and her bicycle over there on Crescent Dr. I was a brand new driver and afraid we were going to knock the lady off her bicycle (couldn't get the boyfriend to move the hell over and give her some room) so I leaned half way out the car to grab her just in case we bumped her bike. As you can see, she danced just fine in her special so we didn't hit her.
Then Nixon decided to send all the Marines overseas to clean up that Vietnam mess and he even sent the girls. That's how I missed the airing of the special. But I remember parts of it. I remember Midnight At The Oasis and I remember Rich Little. I don't know if people wrote and told me about it or if I saw it in a rerun when I came back but I know I didn't see it in Japan.
And when I popped that DVD in my machine to have a look at it, I have to say I don't remember ever having seen most of that special before. I definitely would have remembered Biggest in matching Mommy outfit.
That was adroable!

Yes my dear, the celebrities who have encountered me have been quite well entertained. Just ask Kaye Ballard to show you her Lake Michigan rocks. lol It's like this. You entertain me, I entertain you, everybody entertains everybody else. One hand washes the other and both hands wash the face. And speaking of "in your face" the only other person I've been that close to besides boyfriends is my own mother. Healthy, big blue eyes. I'll always regard that beautiful spring day in 1974 as my Lucky Day. :D

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD » 04 Dec 2007, 11:13

LuckyDay,
Am I glad your boyfriend didn't hit Doris!
Barb

ray
I danced with Doris!

Doris Day Today

Unread post by ray » 16 Dec 2007, 22:03

You have to have a heart of stone not to like the Sunhine Medley with Doris and John Denver. It really is beautiful and makes you smile!!! The Daisy dancing may seem corney to some but I love the whole segment! Doris looked stunning singing Day By Day, thought its not my favorite song either she still looked smashing and The Way We Were was delightful and sentimental. :D Sunshine on my shoulder makes me high and so does this special!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 16 Dec 2007, 23:58

Ray, I am in total agreement about the Sunshine Medley, "The Way We Were," and Day did indeed look gorgeous throughout the whole special.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

ray
I danced with Doris!

Forty Carats

Unread post by ray » 10 Jan 2008, 21:54

Supposedly Doris wanted to do the movie version of Forty Carats about an Older Woman involved with a younger man. Liv Ullman I think did the movie but Doris did her version with The Music man episode from the fifth seaon of her TV show.

pebrogan

"Forty Carats"

Unread post by pebrogan » 11 Jan 2008, 12:46

Ray is right about "Forty Carats". (Hi Ray, I owe you an update). When Producer Ross Hunter left Universal after many years and signed a deal with Columbia, his first project was to have been "Forty Carats", the screen version of the hugely popular Broadway comedy that starred Julie Harris. (It's also been played on-stage by many luminaries including Ginger Rogers and Lana Turner). Hunter approached Miss Day and there was interest. However before it got beyond the initial stages, Ross was offered the chance to direct the musical version of "Lost Horizon" which he wanted to do. The rest is history. "Horizon" was a disaster (Doris and Terry attended the premiere) and Hunter's contract with Columbia lapsed as a result. "Carats" then went to Columbia producer Mike Frankovich who cast Ullman, Edward Albert Jr., Gene Kelly and his own wife, Binnie Barnes. The picture was not successful. Miss Ullman was not a comic actress and Frankovich's wife received the best notices.

Natalier

Doris Day Today

Unread post by Natalier » 16 Jan 2008, 14:36

Hello everyone, I have just brought the dvd and i think it was great. that fact that Doris Day did dancing like she was a mad lady was funny, also the fact that she would do a slow song and the burst into action by dancing was funny.
I think that was much better then her other one she did with Perry Como.
what does everyone else think?
Its a great feeling

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Doris Day Today

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 16 Jan 2008, 15:46

Hi there,

For years I've enjoyed the songs from this show on cd. I bought it once from The Doris Day Society. And I still enjoy them a lot. Day by Day is my favorite, The Sunshine medley, Follow Me and The way we were are other favorits.

But when I saw the complete show, I was a little dissapointed. Not about the songs, but I think that Doris had too much gasts on her show. I love John Denver, he could've been in the complete show for me. More Doris and John singing and also a few comedy routines from them. Tim Conway en Rich Little could've been in an other NEW special with Doris. And The Lockers didn't do anything special for me in this show. Probably good dancers but Doris could do without them.

I wish she had sung more songs the way she did: Sentimental Journey, It's Magic (on the first special) and Day by Day en The Way We Were on this one. More concert type. (don't know how to explain it better)

So I did enjoy this show, but it was not up to Doris standerds. Not even close.

Peter

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD » 10 Feb 2008, 22:26

I've got a question.
In the John Denver special, who was the actor who played John"s father?
I know I should know him, he was on a lot of the tv shows at the time. At first I thought it was Gary Moore, but that didn't seem right. Now I think it's George Gobel, but I'm not sure.
Barb

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 10 Feb 2008, 23:44

George Gobel it is!

mikeydv
Music Master

Re: Doris Day Today!

Unread post by mikeydv » 19 Aug 2008, 18:18

just watched this dvd and loved it. I also liked the Bonus Specials..especially Dodo's appearance on the John Denver Show, and the Doris Day Look Alike Contest episode of her tv comedy show, in its entirety. I would love to have seen Doris do a dance routine with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire, but i guess it wasn't in the cards; she certainly is a good stepper.
It is really unfortunate that this was her true "swan song" (not counting Doris Day's Best Friends, but hardly the same kind of show). Wouldn't it have been WONDERFUL if Doris had just done a special where all she did was SING, SING, SING? Perhaps she could have had one guest, someone with whom she might have harmonized well (besides John Denver). Now don't laugh, but I was thinking ELVIS PRESLEY!!! Wouldn't that have been SOMETHING!!!

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June » 19 Aug 2008, 18:21

Well Mike, Laurie would have loved that. She loves Elvis Presley. Right Laurie?

Carol :)

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv » 19 Aug 2008, 18:29

Glad u liked the idea. I don't have a mixer so I am not good at it, but I made a compilation of Doris and Elvis Songs on one cd for a friend of mine, and although they don't sing together, following one Elvis with one Doris worked pretty well, and my friend loves it. She REALLY loved Doris' version of "Can't Help Falling in Love With You". And after seeing Doris sing "Midnight at the Oasis", wouldn't she have been FABULOUS doing the Peggy Lee hit, 'FEVER"??

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June » 19 Aug 2008, 21:41

Oh yes, she would have been fabulous.

I love her version too of " Can't Help Falling in Love With You". Her voice just is golden.
I never get tired of listening to her sing ever... no matter how many times I have heard her sing a song.

Carol