Fifth Season

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Fifth Season

Unread post by ray »

Any word on when season five will be released on DVD? Someone usually gets an advanced word on the forum.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Fifth Season Photo

Unread post by ray »

Pierre Patricks book has the cover photo for Doris's fifth season of TV shows. She has a red shiney hat and matching cape. Very nice for the final season. Wonder what the cover photo will be for the Doris Day Today special 1975.

Renny

Unread post by Renny »

I wish I knew, Ray, when the 5th season was going to be released. I WANT IT NOW!!! Oh my, am I shouting????
I'd enjoy going out with you, Mr. Beasley, if I just didn't find you so personally distasteful....

ray
I danced with Doris!

Fifth Season And Special

Unread post by ray »

Any news on the release dates for the final season and The Doris Day Today special? I read june or july for the UK and the states in the fall. Will be great to hear Doris's comments on the final season of shows! :D

ray
I danced with Doris!

Fifth Season and Last TV Special!

Unread post by ray »

Its official the final season of The Doris Day Show and the Doris Day Today Special 1975, will be released November 20th!!! :D

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Good Morning @ all,

...I'm in a hurry...I have to go to work now but I thought you would like to see the new covers for the DD Special and the Doris Day Show.

The Doris Day Show - Season 5 Preview
http://stage6.divx.com/Doris-Day-Videos ... -5-Preview

Tanja :D

webmaster

Thanks

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks Tanja - nice images.

Just came across a piece about the show on the BBC website:

The Doris Day Show
USA, CBS (Arwin Hilltop Company) , Sitcom, Colour, 1968
Starring: Doris Day, Phillip Brown, Todd Starke

You could call it sickly sweet, and not be wrong, but The Doris Day Show was also a gentle, pleasing (and of course totally harmless) sitcom. How the series came about, however, makes for a much more dramatic story.The star of so many gooey soft-focus romantic feature films, and also a very successful singer, Doris Day had never appeared regularly on TV, and in fact was no great fan of the medium. But shortly after her beloved husband and manager Marty Melcher died, early in 1968, she learned that he had signed her up for this series, an arrangement of which she had no knowledge. Worse, Day then discovered that, together with a lawyer associate, Melcher had been siphoning off her prodigious income over some two decades and that she was, in effect, bankrupt. In dire need of money she reluctantly agreed to proceed.

Although she was in shock for some time, and this undoubtedly affected her performance, Doris Day made the right move, and by the time the series finished five years later she was financially stable once again and in the public eye for all the right reasons. All the same, The Doris Day Show was, at best, a confusion, in that for four of the five years it was on the air, her character - Doris Martin - was cast in different situations and locations. First she was the widowed mother of two boys, living on a country farm with her father and their dog. Then she became 'a working mom', commuting daily to San Francisco where she was employed as a secretary on a magazine, Today's World. Then, after being promoted to reporter, she and the kids became city-dwellers. Finally (influenced, one suspects, by The Mary Tyler Moore Show , Doris was a single woman again (the children and dog disappeared from the storylines as if they had never existed), still reporting and, additionally, dating a dashing doctor. In Britain, ITV screened 26 episodes drawn from the latter two seasons, with Doris first as a part-time and then full-time journalist, romantically involved with the doc.

Some interesting names were involved along the way. McLean Stevenson, who played Day's first editor at Today's World, went on to star in M*A*S*H, Rose Marie, who was cast as the editor's secretary and Doris's friend, had shone in The Dick Van Dyke Show. Denver Pyle, Doris's farm-living father, was a star of TV westerns; Dr Lawrence, Doris's romantic interest, was played by the English-born Hollywood film star Peter Lawford; and Terry Melcher, executive producer of the series, was Doris's son, formerly the Byrds' record producer.

And, yes, the theme tune, sung every week by the star, was 'Que Sera Sera'. Whatever will be will be.

Researched and written by Mark Lewisohn.

Cast
Doris Day - Doris Martin
Phillip Brown - Billy Martin (1968-71)
Todd Starke - Toby Martin (1968-71)
James Hampton - Leroy B Simpson (1968-69)
Naomi Stevens - Juanita (1968-69)
Denver Pyle - Buck Webb (1968-70)
Fran Ryan - Aggie Thompson (1968)
McLean Stevenson - Michael Nicholson (1969-71)
Rose Marie - Myrna Gibbons (1969-71)
Paul Smith - Ron Harvey (1969-71)
Kaye Ballard - Angie Palucci (1970-71)
Bernie Kopell - Louie Palucci (1970-71)
John Dehner - Cy Bennett (1971-73)
Jackie Joseph - Jackie Parker (1971-73)
Peter Lawford - Dr Peter Lawrence (1972-73)

Transmission Details
Number of episodes: 128 Length: 30 mins
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/artic ... 0967.shtml
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

TV Shows

Unread post by ray »

We really have to thank Terry for making sure the TV shows and Specials would be available. He thought of Doris even towards the end of his life and got the deal going for the DVD releases. He was always thinking of his dear Mother. Of course Jim Pierson has done a remarkable job produceing them. The deal will be completed in November but will give us all many years of enjoyment with these TV treasures, And Jim even hopes of getting the Best Friends Cable series out there for us all!

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Hi @ all,

the Doris Day Show Season Five and the Doris Day ToDay Special is now available for pre-order at Amazon.com/DVD Empire.

Season 5
http://www.amazon.com/Season-5-Doris-Da ... 61&sr=1-70
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.a ... id=1361246

Doris Day ToDay
http://www.amazon.com/Doris-Day-Today/d ... 61&sr=1-64
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.a ... ID=1859895

Sheila

Talking about Doris Day

Unread post by Sheila »

Great news Tanja, thanks :lol:

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

Thanks so much Tanja! You're always are there for us, with wonderful "Doris" information and goodies! I just now ordered Season 5 :D

Image ~

Sheila

Minnie Mouse

Unread post by Sheila »

Love Minnie Mouse doing your Signature Pam, that's so cool :lol:

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

Thanks Image

Pam :D

webmaster

Season 5

I was tempted to remove the link to Amazon for Season 5 as I have an affiliate link with Movies Unlimited on DD's videos and it all helps to cover the cost of the website.

I have one with Amazon too but I've stopped using it (even thought I still buy DVDs from them in the UK) as they only pay their affiliates 4% of the total cost, compared with 10% by Movies Unlimited and others. It took me almost a year to earn $100 from Amazon so I gave up on them, although there are still a few links on dorisday.net

If anyone can hang on until Movies Unlimited announce it - still 3 months to go or so - and buy it through my link to them you can sleep soundly in your bed knowing that in addition to buying Season 5, you have contributed 10% of what you paid to support this site and forum.

Is that called 'positive manipulation'? :)

Sheila

DVD

Unread post by Sheila »

Sounds like an excellent idea to me Bryan. How do people usually subscribe to the cost of this websit? I am happy to make a donation, if you tell me how to.

P.S how's the P.D.F tutorial coming on?

Pam, thank you, you're so clever!!! :lol:

webmaster

Thanks for the offer, Sheila - I tried that briefly and ended up feeling like Eliza Doolittle selling flowers in Covent Garden. And in fact if you buy any DVDs/videos (do people still use video recorders?) through my MU links you will be making a contribution to costs :

http://www.dorisday.net/Film_List/Video ... d_cds.html

(just go for the Movies Unlimited ones)

PDF is on hold at the moment as I have to finish a website and then have work to do on another one - but I haven't forgot. It's probably easier if I do it myself as I have Acrobat Professional and can do it in the time it takes to explain it. But I'll keep you posted.

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

O.K, thanks Bryan. I'll check out the link.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Fifth Season

Unread post by ray »

Part of the bonus features on season five is Doris commenting on the Hospital benefit fashion show. Doris strutted her stuff with Biggest, her favorite Doggie on a leash. Peter Lawford was in that show an Lee Merriweather. Doris did a Hollywood take modeling with platnium short wig with long tight sleek dress.
The Doris Day Today bonus features seem equally exciting for us DD fans. :D

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Hi Ray,

thanks for the informations. MPI added some bonus features on both DVD sets.

Doris Day Show Season 5 Bonus Features:
-Doris Day Commentary Track On Her Favourite Episodes (IT'S A DOG'S LIFE with 2 of her real-life pets Biggest and Muffy + HOSPITAL BENEFIT which is her grandest fashion show ever featuring another brief appearance by Biggest)
-New Humane Society Public Service Announcements By Doris
-Outtake Footage consists of 30+ minutes of fashion footage (plus series music cues) from the "Hospital Benefit" episode
-Vintage Doris Easter Seals Theatre Spot
-Doris Day Today Preview
-French Dubbed Episode
-Movie Trailer
-English Subtitles

Doris Day ToDay Bonus Features:
-Doris’ entire appearance on The John Denver Special (1974)
-Doris Day 1940s Musical Short
-Doris Day Album Discography
-Doris In Hollywood episode of The Doris Day Show
-Doris Day Today - original Kraft sponsor billboards
-Doris & Les Brown 1950s Music Short (My Lost Horizon)
-Animal Shelter Promo (1971) (previously included on The Doris Day Show Season 4 DVD set
-The Doris Day Show on DVD promo
-The Love Album Promo

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper »

Thanks Ray & Tanja for sharing this information...
P

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I'm surprised at Jim Pierson & MPI getting the "My Lost Horizon" clip info wrong. It was NOT from 1950's. Oh well, no biggie. Looks like a GREAT collection of extras! Counting the weeks! :D
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Doris Day Show

Did anyone see the bloopers video from The Doris Day Show Season 2 on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HNz1I9xq3E

I watched it and was shocked by the way the 'director' was talking to the kids in the opening scenes - it was child abuse! Although I laughed from time to time, there was a certain amount (a lot?) of tension on the set, it seemed. Doris kept going "Damn" all the time.

I don't feel I know this Doris - the show was never big, well hardly shown, in the UK - there's a certain desperation in it all and the plots are so contrived.

Comments made were:

"This is painful to watch where the child-actor is shown. I don't know why Doris Day didn't SPEAK UP. Who is this idiot director? Where are the little boy's parents??? As I said, it's just so painful to watch that kid struggling with the stupid lines.

"I am very upset by this video. I can't believe Doris let these children be treated this. I was always a big fan of hers. But now i don't know. It seems she likes her dogs better that human children!"

"I just watched it again and Doris is there listening to all this. I cant believe it.. Doris Day or is it Joan Crawford????????
What other secrets do we have Miss Day??????????? "

How do you/we respond to that?

ray
I danced with Doris!

Hot Topic!

Unread post by ray »

Bryan watch it, or you will start another hot topic on the forum!! Doris herself said, she not NOT Miss Goody Two Shoes! No one is perfect and Doris is human and very down to earth!

webmaster

Thanks for the reply, Ray, old buddy. But have you listened to it?
I don't blame Doris but why did she employ a child-snatcher as director?
She's a nice, lovely woman, he's something that begins with 'a' and there's a hole in it somewhere.

But I'm also talking about my personal reaction to this series - I just think she could have been making great movies instead.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Movies

Unread post by ray »

I personal think Doris was sick of making movies and Hollywood in 1968 after her last film. She had to do the series and I don't think that made her very happy either. Even if the BEST movie script came her way, I don't think she would have done it, and she hasn't! Too bad but I think she was burnt out by all the Show Bizz people and many were and are jealous that such a beautiful woman could sing dance and act!