Fifth Season

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Kids In Show Buisness

Unread post by ray »

Many actors wouldn't work with kids, W.C. Fields would not work with kids or animals! Maybe Doris had the kids written out of the series because they were pains in the neck!!LOL Only kidding folks! Bryan you know how to stir it up a bit!LOL!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I'll have to bow to your superior wisdom, Ray. I forgot all that. She'd been under Marty's control for most of her film career, and must have gotten a bit disillusioned with some of the film projects he'd signed her up to - I'll just mention one: "Do Not Disturb", which was actually very disturbing. I have a lot of sympathy for her. (But she's got a lot more money than me (can you have more than none?) so my sympathy is tempered! :lol: - I'll get excommunicated if I carry on.)

So of course I understand but she started making some really bad films just as I was getting really interested. I'd better stop here!

It's something about The Doris Day Show....

ray
I danced with Doris!

Wisdom?

Unread post by ray »

Your excused Bryan Dear. But lets face it Doris was in Hollywood not a convent!!! Rock was gay, Liz and Marilyn were loose and Elvis and Judy did drugs! Doris did look like a Saint compared to all this. Of course there's nothing wrong with sex, drugs or Rock n Roll!!!LOL If thats your cup of tea! And the forum has been so quiet lately!!! I will retire from any more of these outlandish comments with my superior wisdom! :twisted:

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Bryan & Ray:

Pierre Patrick questions Philip Brown about that specific footage in "Que Sera, Sera: The Magic of Doris Day Through Televison" on page 184. Check it out. You may be surprised by Philip's response. He said he LOVED that man, Bob Sweeney. Then he tells a story about a different director who Doris fired specifically because of how he treated Philip.

I also think people who aren't in the industry always misinterpret the way things can seem on set when the pressure is on.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

I think everyone's gone to bed, Ray so feel free to say what you like.

I love talking to myself late at night, at least I know someone is listening.

Here's a News Flash:

I had an email from Pam, she's on holiday, doing an "Easy Rider" trip across the US, photographing wales, dolphins, gorillas, etc.
I hope you're all prepared to see her arrive in your town with all her biker friends soon. (I made that up, I think she's in one of those cars that Doris & David Niven used to drive out to their house in the country in "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (which was much better than The Doris Day Show).

And I had an email from Mary Anne who's excited about her book coming out.

I've run out of news flashes - flash you later/

webmaster

John - who is Philip Brown? You forget I know nothing about the show as it was never shown here - although I read it was briefly for one season somewhere.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Oops, sorry Bryan. I thought you guys had the DVDs over there. Philip Brown played the oldest son (Billy) and was the kid in the footage in question. Todd Stark played the younger son Toby. Pierre questions him in the book specifically about the footage in the blooper reel.

webmaster

So what do you think about the 'blooper' video, John?

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I found them all very dull. Disappointed that there wasn't a few good laughs in any of them. As far as the kids stuff, it's not how I would have handled it. But then again thankfully, I don't have old footage of me losing my temper 30 years ago that I have to try to justify today. I think most of us would be very grateful that we don't. :lol:

ray
I danced with Doris!

Stars

Unread post by ray »

Now I read that Sandra Dee was high most of her movie career!! And poor Doris had to cope with dead man's floats in the pool and Christian Science! Well Doris's method paid off, she is alive and well!!!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Amen, Ray! Give me the strong survivors any day! 8)

ray
I danced with Doris!

Sandra Dee

Unread post by ray »

I feel badly for Sandra Dee, she didn't have much happiness. Who knew back then what was really going on. Doris's passion for the animals lead her to a forfilling life after Marty's death. But her Singing and Movie career should and will never be forgotten. Doris herself tries to dismiss her career but without it she wouldn't be a well known animal rights activist as she is today. This thread is about her fifth TV season so lets get back to that. Que Sera....

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon »

I personaly enjoyed watching the Doris Day Show. I started watching the 4th and 5th season first, and only later saw the first three seasons on the french channel. I loved watching those shows every Monday night and nothing could separate me from the TV while Doris was on. I would say the show, more than anything else, cemented my love for Doris. She played an attractive career woman who always got her man. She also solved all the problems of the world in half an hour. I liked that about Doris. She always seemed on top of things and stylish, too. She was a real role model, more than any other TV or movie star, for the teenage me.

As for the bloopers, John M explained it well. Philip Brown saw Doris as his second mom and said that the other little boy, who later died in a motorcycle accident, did as well. They loved doing the show and everybody treated them well except that yelling director.
I think we should respond to that video on You Tube, or some people will get the wrong image of the show.

I stopped over in London the other day and thought of the English fans. You guys have a lovely and swinging capital. The food was great. Anybody know of the Longacre in the Covent Garden area? They have the best hazlenut and chocolate roulade I have ever tasted.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Ooh, Velda, I am envious of you visiting London. I really need to get my act together and go over there for a vacation. And I'll remember Longacre's!

For those of you who don't own Pierre's book (and shame on you, if you don't!), Philip Brown tells a story about a director (not Bob Sweeney, the yeller) who pushed him in a fit of anger. He told Doris about it, and Doris fired the director. He said he felt Doris was very protective of the kids.

webmaster

Doris Day Show

Sorry, I may have over-reacted to that video - I know that Doris is a kind, gentle person who wouldn't put up with abusive people so maybe the wrong impression was given (but I'm still not mad about the show!)

Covent Garden is what locals think of as a 'trendy' area, mostly for visitors and tourists. I'm sounding like an old stick-in-the-mud but I preferred it when it was the 'real' Covent Garden - that place that was recreated for "My Fair Lady" where Audrey Hepburn/Eliza Doolittle sold flowers. It did really look like that. There weren't any sidewalk cafes and fancy eating places then - just a few greasy cafes and a pub that opened about 5am or earlier for the workers who were finishing their shifts. You could buy all kinds of fruit and veg very cheaply and get hots cups of tea and buns all night. I used to go there with my hippie friend (you could get other stuff there as well! :oops: ) it was somewhere warm, interesting and very cheap.

Watching the news a few days ago, there was a piece about Coney Island being redeveloped and some of the locals were saying they were worried about what the developers were going to do and if they would spoil it - well, Covent Garden is a bit like that. But great for tourists!

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

I've really enjoyed watching the Doris Day Show since its been released on dvd. Of course - it could be because its another way to see Doris. Unlike some others - I enjoyed the show the first couple of years - on the farm with the kids and Buck. I thought Doris was great with the kids and she and Buck were terrific together. It seemed that each of those shows included some kind of moral message along with the fun. There seemed to be something they were teaching the kids that went along with the story. I thought that was great.
From what Doris has said she wasn't too thrilled with the farm aspect and moved it to the city. Those shows were enjoyable too. We got to see Doris in more fashionable digs and with great fashions for her too. It seemed to me the stories were more about humor - letting Doris be funny - which she's great at. And, she was evidently more comfortable with the working woman situation. I missed the family !
For me, it was always fun to watch... I just enjoyed the first couple of years more. But -- I watch all of them !

Yes - you should all get Pierre's book. Very interesting.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Toni, funny you should write that. As a kid, I always preferred the "city" seasons, and didn't remember the "farm" seasons too fondly. But I found with the DVDs that I now think the farm episodes had a warmth to them that the later ones were lacking. For instance, the tag scene in the baseball episode, when Doris comes home from her date with the movie star, having fallen asleep at his premiere, and crawls into bed with Buck to eat popcorn and watch TV is a great scene. Same with the one where the lady accuses Billy of stealing the $5. And some of the city episodes that I remembered so fondly are painfully bad now, although Doris herself is always delightful in them. She can wring one good belly laugh out of a look or a line delivery in just about every episode. I mean the Christmas/murder mystery one is dreadful. As is the Doris & Jarvis jewelry store robbery one. Both formats had their pluses and minuses I guess. Just a shame that the series wasn't on the order of a "Dick van Dyke Show" or "Mary Tyler Moore Show" because Doris certainly deserved that kind of platform.

Jas1
Honorary Member

The show.

Unread post by Jas1 »

I LOVE the shows. Especially season 3 with season 2 very close. I have enjoyed seasons 1 and 4 but still think things deteriorated in season 4, with no kids, no Myrn etc.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Yes - it was kind of confusing that people just disappeared from the show - never mentioned again !
It was too bad that her show didn't go the route of MTM - was it the writing ? She definitely deserved better scripts - I could see her in the MTM scenario. I just felt that the show was better written in the first two years - for the most part. It seemed to gel and flow much better.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Hi @ all,

...I thought you would like to know that MPI has confirmed the release date of the Doris Day Show and Doris Day toDay. :D

The Doris Day Show Season 5
http://www.mpihomevideo.com/?p=25467&pi ... cid=&ccid=

Doris Day toDay
http://www.mpihomevideo.com/?p=25467&pi ... cid=&ccid=

Tanja :D

Image Image

ray
I danced with Doris!

Ordered

Unread post by ray »

I ordered season five today and the Special. Three years has flown by when we first heard of the DVD TV Project. As I stated before, Terry made sure he got this going before he passed on, he was always thinking and looking after Doris. Lets hope the Best Friends series somehow gets on DVD!! Happy viewing!

Ken
Honorary Member

Season 5 and Doris Day Today

Unread post by Ken »

I ordered both too and am looking forward to receiving them. I hope the "Best Friends" shows will be the next dvd project.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Fifth season

Unread post by ray »

I haven't received my fifth season as yet but a few people have told me the commentary's by Doris did not work on their DVD's? Anyone else come across this?

Ant

Season 5

Unread post by Ant »

Hi Ray,
I thought the same thing at first about the commentaries. The box leads you to believe that the commentaries that are included are on the 4th dvd under the "bonus features".

They are actually on the 3rd disc in the #17 and #18 episodes (Hospital Benefit & It's a Dog's Life). You have to select the track which opts for the commentaries when you are at these segments.

Rest assured, the commentaries are there, and they are a lot of fun. You can sure tell Doris loved Biggest. He was such a great boy and what a great doggie actor he was!

Antonette

Ken
Honorary Member

Doris Day Show Season 5

Unread post by Ken »

I received my Season 5 set in the mail and was wondering about the bonus features. Thanks for clearing this up.
Ken