Fifth Season

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Commentaries

Unread post by ray »

Another commentary by Doris is said to be for a future DVD release? When will this be and for what shows? I thought maybe the Christmas shows.

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Hi @ all,

thanks for the informations. I'm very excited about the Doris Day Show :D , I hope I'll receive my DVD set soon!

Tanja :D

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

I'm watching/listening to the 5th season right while I'm preparing Thanksgiving dinner. I just love it. I've only gotten through the first two disks. Was that little tiger? He sure is quite.
I also watched the Doris Day today special last night. I loved it. She should have had a variety show.
Well, back to the turkey.
Barb

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Happy Thanksgiving B.

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

Happy Thanksgiving .........................

webmaster

Season 5

Unread post by webmaster »

Well, back to the turkey.
Barb, that's not a nice way to describe The Doris Day Show! :lol:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Bryan,

That was the turkey in the oven! A thirteen pound butterball. Not the Doris Day show.

Now the meal is over, everyone's gone home, just a few dishes left to do and a clean, quiet house left to myself. I'll finish disk three and get back to my projects of quilt making.

By the way, how do you turn on the commentary for the two shows that Doris comment on? I haven't gotten to disk four yet, so maybe it's on there.

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Barb

LuckyDay

Re: Commentaries

Unread post by LuckyDay »

ray wrote:Another commentary by Doris is said to be for a future DVD release? When will this be and for what shows? I thought maybe the Christmas shows.
Ray, I think what you might be referring to is the comment Jim made about how there was a Doris Day Show long before there was a Doris Day Show on television which was the one on radio. Doris' comment was that she barely remembers it. (Not surprising since it was from 1952.) It was a Martin Melcher production probably to promote Doris' movies and keep the young star's name in front of the audience. There was no Johnny Carson back then. It was on CBS radio and also broadcast on the Armed Forces Radio Network. She took song requests from the boys in the service. Most of her guests were people she was starring with in current movies.

Part one is already released and part two will be released shortly. It might sound hokey but I spent all day humming "Once In Love With Amy" after I heard Ray Bolger sing it on Doris' CD.

But do not dispair, Ray, hopefully they are working to bring us the Best Friends series on DVD as well. :wink:

ray
I danced with Doris!

future shows

Unread post by ray »

On the Doris Day Tribute site Stephen Munns writes that a commentary for another season show will be a future release???

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

I found them! The commentaries. In case anyone else is looking for them, at the beginning of disk 3, go to the 'episodes" button. That will take you to each episode and on #17 & #18 it will give you a choice of Doris' commentary. I just love them, especially the dog stories.
Barb

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Sounds great ! Anybody know when season 5 is coming to the U.K?

ray
I danced with Doris!

Modeling

Unread post by ray »

Just as Doris could use a song like a scene and act through it, she does the same with her modeling. In season five you can't take youe eyes off her with every movement, the bikini stole the show and Doris looked great!!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Fifth Season

Unread post by ray »

Terry's first wife Melissa Whittaker is on the first show of the fifth season as Peter's date.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

After Season 4, I really wasn't looking forward to Season 5 too much.

I just finished the first 2 discs of the set, and I gotta say that I think there was a HUGE jump in quality this year. Much of Season 4 was just dreadful and stupid (the Christmas murder episode, the Doris-Jarvis jewelry store robbery episode, etc.) But the writing on Season 5 seems to be much smarter and a bit more sophisticated. Still not up to the quality of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but miles ahead of all other seasons of TDDS. It really makes me wish they had done another year. The relationship with Cy is also a bit more detailed and interesting. And for the first time, I don't miss the kids. I still miss Rose Marie, though. While I love Jackie Joseph, I'm not crazy about the character they had her play. I prefer Myrna.

And I think it was really something to feature a gay couple as neighbors in 1972. No other show in the 70's did that. And I especially like the fact that the other neighbors just accepted them. Their "gayness" was no more of a quirk or issue than the one couple being Jewish or the other couple being newlyweds and always, um, doing what newlyweds do. Very cool, in my mind.

I love Cy's line when Doris asks for a loan: "What's your collateral? A great wardrobe and some freckles?" :lol:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Having just finished watching the first 3 disks from Season 5, I have to say I agree completely with John's assessment. This season is much better than the prior year. It's as if they realized the need to improve the quality of the writing and the direction. There is a more realistic and even serious tone in a few of the episodes. A real departure was the show about Doris falling for a younger rock star. I also noticed they decreased the frequency and volume of the laugh track in Season 5. It's as if they weren't trying to force the humor on the audience.

I wonder if the fact that Doris took over as Executive Producer had anything to do with it. Does anyone know? And why did Doris replace Terry as EP of the show?

I was amused at how much Doris cared about the color of her clothes and the way they photopgrahed on film. Clearly, she was totally hands-on when it came to her fashion and hairstyle choices. And I was astounded at how impeccable her abs were in that bikini shot. My God, what a bod.

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

And why did Doris replace Terry as EP of the show?
I think that the fifth season was about the time Terry had his motorcycle accident and was in the hospital for a long time.
Barb

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I can't wait to see season 5 [especially having read some of the above posts] - that is if it EVER comes to UK!!!!

I agree season 4 lost something [and not just a plethora of great co-stars]! For me season one had a realism and some of Doris' performances are so so real. Season 2 perhaps had the best mix of realism with funky Sanfrancisco; allowing Doris to dress to the nines etc and provided the great co-stars, still retaining the realism of the boys and Buck etc. The ending of a season 2 episode I watched again recently really effected me-the one where Buck thinks he is getting old and Doris is putting the boys to bed and they question her about ageing and her acting is just superb here, with tears in her eyes, so real!

Season 3- is still my favourite though, with most of the shows great fun to watch.

Season 4 - I didn't like as much although I watched a few recently again and liked them better, the one with the charity con, Doris at Sea, etc

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I can't wait to see season 5 [especially having read some of the above posts] - that is if it EVER comes to UK!!!!

I agree season 4 lost something [and not just a plethora of great co-stars]! For me season one had a realism and some of Doris' performances are so so real. Season 2 perhaps had the best mix of realism with funky Sanfrancisco; allowing Doris to dress to the nines etc and provided the great co-stars, still retaining the realism of the boys and Buck etc. The ending of a season 2 episode I watched again recently really effected me-the one where Buck thinks he is getting old and Doris is putting the boys to bed and they question her about ageing and her acting is just superb here, with tears in her eyes, so real!

Season 3- is still my favourite though, with most of the shows great fun to watch.

Season 4 - I didn't like as much although I watched a few recently again and liked them better, the one with the charity con, Doris at Sea, etc

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

jmichael, wasn't that bikini shot AWESOME! That was one hot body!!

Jas1, yes, the charity con episode was pretty good. If you like that one, I think you'll LOVE Season 5. It's more in that vein. I can't believe you guys don't have it yet. I though you always got them about a month earlier than we did.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I have to agree with you guys - season five is really superior. The writing became much sharper giving the series a much-needed lift! Too bad it had to end ... but it ended on a pleasant note!

Tanja
Forum Friend

Unread post by Tanja »

Hi @ all,

I found a review on the Doris Day Show Season Five and Doris Day ToDay:

Doris Day Show Season Five
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/review.php?ID=31637

WOW!

Doris Day ToDay
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=31586

Tanja :D

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Thank you Tanja for posting those photos, they may just keep me going until Santa arrives with mine :wink:

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

OUCH!! While I didn't think Doris Day Today was up to the quality level of The Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff Special, that review was pretty harsh. Yikes! It wasn't that bad. :roll:

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

I've been watching Season 5 many times. And I just finished watching episode # Jimmy the Gent. The last tag gag on the show is Peter telling Cy "Not to fool with mother nature." I know that came from a margarine commercial of the time. I don't remember much about it, except that Mother Nature was all upset that the margarine tasted like real butter. I can sort of hear Mother Nature's voice in my head and it sounds a lot like the nurse. Does anybody know if Florida Friebus played Mother Nature in the commercial?
Barb

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

She did play Mother Nature. That's what made that line so funny!