Fifth Season

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

Thanks Howard, I thought so. And the thunder that struck just after Peter said Don't fool with Mother Nature. was all so from the commercial.
Barb

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Fifth Season Sow

Unread post by ray »

I thought the show with Doris Martin being press secreatry to Joanathan Rusk was very good and had an adult theme Does anyone remeber when Poss Hunter had an idea for an hour show for Doris playing different chararters each week? I read this in 1974 or so, Paul would know i bet about this project that never was. Loretta Young had a similar show in the 1950's with differnet characters each week.

Renny

Unread post by Renny »

Howard, I repectfully disagree with you who played Mother Nature in the old '70s Chiffon Margarine commercials. The actress's name is Dena Dietrich. I verified this by going to imbd.com. In fact, that old commercial is on YouTube. Have a fantastic holiday!
I'd enjoy going out with you, Mr. Beasley, if I just didn't find you so personally distasteful....

ray
I danced with Doris!

Pillow Talk Extension

Unread post by ray »

The single Doris Martin of season four and five is really an extension of Jan Morrow from Pillow Talk. Jan enjoyed being single dateing several men. That role made Doris the career Gal of the 60's and number one at the movie box office.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Ray makes a good point about the 4th & 5th seasons where Doris Martin became an extension of career girl Jan Martin. I think that is exactly what they were doing and it improved the quality of the show.

Points to Renny for correctly identifying Mother Nature as Dena Dietrich.

Finally, I agree the review of Doris Day Today is a bit harsh but most of the problems stem from the time it was produced. It followed the tried and true formula of musical numbers, comedy sketches and guest stars that were the trademarks of Carol Burnett, Laugh-In, Sonny & Cher shows of that era. There was nothing innovative or radically different about the format of the show.

I think the reviewer makes a great point about the network not trusting enough in Doris the singer and just letting the whole hour be about music. Now just think what a compelling hour that could have been if they had Doris perform with Sinatra in one segment, Ella in a second segment, then all 3 of them together, and they wrap it all up with Doris closing the show with one or two solo numbers. She could have done a contemporary pop set with Sinatra (along with a revisit of Young At Heart), a jazz set with Ella, and then topped the show with a rousing finale.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Day Dream

Unread post by ray »

That JMichael would have been a dream show...if only it could have happened!!!! But Doris singing Day By Day and The Way we Were was total magic and a once in a lifetime event for us all!!!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I gotta say that I never cared for the song "Day By Day" (from the special). I wasn't a big "Godspell" fan anyway, but that song is just so repetitive and doesn't go anywhere. I would have much prefered she sang the classic "Day By Day."

I agree she should have done a different format. The Sinatra/Ella thing would have been awesome. Or just her singing for the hour would have been divine, sort of like seeing her in concert.

But I do adore the John Denver segments. They were so good together.

As far as the series goes, after seeing the improved Season 5, now I wish there was another season to enjoy.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

John, I agree, there are many things to love about this special and I'm very fond of the musical segments with John Denver. At the risk of getting a tad sentimental here, I am so moved by her duet with him on "Follow Me." Notice how quietly and unobtrusively she harmonizes with him, as if she does not want to overshadow his performance. This is the mark of a professional who is confident and sensitive enough to understand that less is more. I have a special soft spot for that song because my mother used to sing it around the house.

I am also a huge fan of Streisand and have always felt her version of The Way We Were was definitive. That is until I heard Doris perform it on this show. I can't say Doris' version is better but it stands beside it in full glory. Doris had a directness that enabled her to make any song her own. There isn't an ounce of contrivance in her singing. That kind of talent is direct from God. No voice teacher can instruct or inspire that kind of magic.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

JMichael - you said it !! What a perfect description of Doris' singing.

This special has good and bad points that you've all pointed out. I think it was just a product of its time. That's the kind of thing that was on TV back then. Kind of a strange time in many ways. Too bad it wasn't the "dream" special you've described - that would have a special for all time.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

JMichael: That song is awesome. John's singing of it is superlative, and Doris' harmonizing is terrific. Really a wonderful moment. And I agree that Doris did a marvelous job on "The Way We Were." While some of the special was sub-par (especially for Doris' talents), she looked gorgeous in it.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious »

We did Godspell when I was still involved with theatre. I have to say it's a nice song I suppose, it was one of my least favorites from the show. But then again I've never seen Doris perform it. :P
H E A T H E R | Graphics

ray
I danced with Doris!

Re: Fifth Season

Unread post by ray »

Guys and Gals rewatch season five and you will see good story lines and witty interaction with Peter Lawford. One show reminds me of the old Thin Man series with Peter lawford right down to the spiral staircase, its called Jimmy The Gent. Doris's fashions are up to the minute and so is her portrayal of a classy older Lady with a good job and healthly love life dateing several men. The real single Lady's lifestyle. Men could date many and Doris showed so can woman. The kids were in reform school for burning down the country house and they slapped Buck in Shadey Pines rest home. McLean Steveson and Rose Marie were laid off due to downsizing with the recession. Doris invented the single woman on the screen and was far more attractive and inviting then TV's Mary Tyler Moore. I liked Mary but Doris dazzled :wink: