The Doris Day Show Season One

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Doris Day Show Season One

Unread post by ray » 29 Jun 2005, 08:18

Dinner With Mom---In the first Doris Day Show our gal walked down the farmhouse set stairs into TV viewers hearts as she did twenty years ealier with Her Movie debut in, Romance On The High Seas, and into Movie goers hearts. Who knew the TV visit would be so brief airing for five years.
Doris looked lovely in the show and struck me funny the way she told her Father Buck the resturant the boys took her to for her birthday was the worst!! The first season had Doris living on the farm as a widow with her two sons and her father. The opening shots are rustic and sunny with Doris singing Que Sera, Sera.

webmaster

Doris Day Show Season 1

Unread post by webmaster » 29 Jun 2005, 08:32

Doris Day Show Season 1

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 16-1572151

If you buy it through the above link a small commision (6%) will come to this website - I want to revamp the whole site over the summer so every little helps! :wink:
''The Doris Day Show: Season 1.'' After saying goodbye to the big screen, Doris Day moved to television with this sitcom that debuted in 1968 about a widow raising her sons on her father's farm. The four-disc set has 28 episodes and extras that include Day on an episode of ''What's My Line?''
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

I Ordered

Unread post by Ralph » 29 Jun 2005, 10:47

Bryan:

I ordered the Day Show, reluctantly, because I didn't like the first season. In order to put a few coins in your jeans for the upkeep of the site is the main reason I went on and ordered. But, I must say that the thought of having Doris' appearances on What's My Line? did play a part in it. :lol:

webmaster

Thank you

Unread post by webmaster » 29 Jun 2005, 11:00

Thanks Ralph - much appreciated - and to anyone else in the future! :lol:

Mary Sunshine

Unread post by Mary Sunshine » 29 Jun 2005, 11:08

I heard a noise in the hall and I thought my dog fell or did something. When I checked on her, she had also heard the noise. It was the mailman dropping off Season 1.

NO ONE WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

Damn, what a pretty lady. Then, now and always.

Betty

Hot!

Unread post by Betty » 29 Jun 2005, 13:13

That man that played Doris's son and does the bonus extras is a real hot Doll!! Love my box set! Variety called the show " Charming and unpretentious".

ray
I danced with Doris!

The Uniform

Unread post by ray » 29 Jun 2005, 14:20

Betty that hot doll was Phiip Brown, who played one of Doris's son's!LOL!
The second show for our weeks homework is The Uniform, telecast October 1, 1968. When Billy comes home with a baseball uniform, Toby becomes jealous of all the attention his big brother receives.
Doris even sang breifly in this one on the front porch with Grandpa and the boys what looked like a summer's night.
Grandpa of course was Denver Pyle ( The Dukes Of Hazards ), James Hampton ( F troop ) who portrays handyman Leroy B. Simpson. James hampton also does a bonus intervies on the DVD set.

Vinton

Housekeeper

Unread post by Vinton » 29 Jun 2005, 14:29

The housekeeper Fran Ryan was replaced only after a few appearance's. Philip Brown who played Billy, speaks fondly of Fran Ryan on the bonus interview.

Teachers_Pet

Doris Day Show--Season One

Unread post by Teachers_Pet » 29 Jun 2005, 14:54

What a pleasant surprise I received this afternoon when I opened my front door to discover I had received a big package from Amazon.com

I know what you mean, Mary; that box was hefty!

Now, I can get busy and start watching these episodes that I haven't seen since they originally aired. I look forward to watching the extras as well.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Dinner For Mom

Unread post by ray » 29 Jun 2005, 15:09

The first show, Dinner For Mom, was aired originally September 24, 1968. And MPI promises in the bonus extras a Doris Day TV Special, which of course is The Doris Mary Anne Kappelloff Special from 1971. They show a picture of Doris riding her bike which was the opening of the special.

Mary Sunshine

Unread post by Mary Sunshine » 30 Jun 2005, 00:26

Didn't that Philip Brown turn out to be a hunk of something?

I thought the messages to the sponsors and CBS affiliates were very nice.

When I was a kid, I used to bug my parents to let me stay up on Sunday nights to watch What's My Line just in case Doris would be on it. Well, they put up with that for a while and then my father told me that Doris Day would never be on television. He said movie stars think television is beneath them. Turns out I missed her What's My Line appearances because I was 6 months old for the first one and I think 3 years old for the 2nd one. So you've gotta know that finally seeing her "enter and sign in please" is such a kick.

Teachers_Pet

Doris Day Show--Season One

Unread post by Teachers_Pet » 30 Jun 2005, 01:36

Well, I finally opened my DVD's and played all the extras first. I absolutely LOVED the sponsor's and CBS affiliates' messages. And I got such a kick out of the two WHAT'S MY LINE episodes. I realized that I was four months old when the first one was aired and 5 years old when the second one was. That squeaky voice Doris used to disguise herself was too funny. I enjoyed the interviews, too.

Then, I stayed up til 1 a.m. to watch the first two episodes. Of course, I'm watching them in order. This is SUCH a kick for me as I haven't seen these in over 30 years!

I still say Doris has the absolute best smile in the whole world. I don't think I stopped smiling for over two hours myself!

She IS truly magic.

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 30 Jun 2005, 10:02

Oh Boy! The excitment is really building!

I think I'm the only one that hasn't recieved it in the mail yet!!

I found out that it was infact shipped on the 28th, but it didnt come yesterday, so I tracked it and it definately should be here today.

I cannot wait!!!!!!
- Katie

ray
I danced with Doris!

TV Series Boxed Set

Unread post by ray » 30 Jun 2005, 10:42

Katie I hope your boxed set arrives today so you can comment on the frist two shows and the bonus extras. Many of us are around the same age and we were very young to have seen Whats My Line. That alone plus the great photos and design of the boxed set is enough as DD collectors. Terry really made many of us fans very happy getting the shows out on DVD. Enjoy!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Are These People Really "Stars?"

Unread post by Ralph » 30 Jun 2005, 11:36

Mary Sunshine wrote:Didn't that Philip Brown turn out to be a hunk of something?

I thought the messages to the sponsors and CBS affiliates were very nice.

When I was a kid, I used to bug my parents to let me stay up on Sunday nights to watch What's My Line just in case Doris would be on it. Well, they put up with that for a while and then my father told me that Doris Day would never be on television. He said movie stars think television is beneath them. Turns out I missed her What's My Line appearances because I was 6 months old for the first one and I think 3 years old for the 2nd one. So you've gotta know that finally seeing her "enter and sign in please" is such a kick.

It's true that movie stars of the Golden Age (which ended in the '60s) rarely appeared on television, except on Academy Awards night. It's true that rarely you'd see one on What's My Line? or the Tonight Show, but hardly ever ACTING on a show or sitting on one of these game shows, they way they do today. "Movie stars" today are more like TV people. With all the entertainment shows both on network and cable TV, we see these "movie stars" like Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston every hour, every day. They are covered to death and are as familiar to us as the girl who sacks groceries at the supermarket.

There is no "mystique" about any of them. Today, there is such a fierce hunger for "celebrity," everybody is trying to be one: policemen, "stars" of reality programs, murderers, rapists, runaway brides, adulterers...everybody wants to get their face on TV and "get some of that fame."

Today's actors are on late night, The View, Ellen, Today, Good Morning America, Extra, Entertainment Tonight, A Current Affair, Tony Danza, Regis and Kelly, etc. I get sick of looking at them! They even show up on Fear Factor...anything to get their faces on TV! Even news shows stop to talk about Britiney Spears or Michael Jackson or JLo's butt.

When I turn on TV, I have it on five minutes and they are talking about some "celebrity." Why? Because that's all they think that people are interesting in hearing about. Today's movies end up on TV or DVD so fast, what's the sense in going to the movies? As you know, I cannot tolerate multiplex "theatres." Give me my grand movie palace and while you're at it, SOME REAL STARS!

Vinton

Family Affair

Unread post by Vinton » 30 Jun 2005, 11:53

Philip Brown's story about working on the back lot for the Doris Day Show was amusing. The kids from Family Affair came up to him, they were filming their show nearbye, and said they were making more money! Philip said he never talked to them again!!

Mary Sunshine

Unread post by Mary Sunshine » 30 Jun 2005, 12:46

I hit the Doris Day perfecta yesterday as I received Season 1, It Happened To Jane and The DD Collection. So let's just say I've been busy.

One of the things that immediately struck me was how wonderful the sets were and how it all looked like a real home. I'd forgotten that from when I saw them the first time around. I don't care which lot it was on, I'd live there.
And isn't it nice to remember the times before cell phones and laptops? Oh, and ATM's. :P

But the best part was how good Doris looked despite the fact that only a few months before she'd lost Marty.

I'd be interested in hearing what the kids have to say about it. When I look at movies that were made before I was born, they seem so old and removed. For me having been a teenager when The Doris Day Show began and I look at it now, it doesn't seem dated to me at all. That might change when they get to the city and she begins to wear the fashions of the day.

Anyway, I think I'm going to call in sick to work again today and watch It Happened To Jane. I had no idea that was Terry in the nose bleed section until someone from this forum pointed it out.

Happy viewing, kids.

Teachers_Pet

Unread post by Teachers_Pet » 30 Jun 2005, 16:14

Mary Sunshine wrote:IAnd isn't it nice to remember the times before cell phones and laptops? Oh, and ATM's. :P

I'd be interested in hearing what the kids have to say about it. When I look at movies that were made before I was born, they seem so old and removed. For me having been a teenager when The Doris Day Show began and I look at it now, it doesn't seem dated to me at all.
Mary--I agree with you that the subject matter didn't seem dated to me either, and I was pleasantly surprised. One of the ingredients that I really feel is missing from today's tv shows/movies is an underlying sense of values. That's what I see when I rewatch some of the shows I watched when I was growing up--those values and, in the case of the DD Show, the idea of focusing on funny situations, not jokes. I think that focus is more likely to make things age well.

And, yes, it is indeed a pleasure to watch shows that came out before cell phones and computers; i, e, the scene in the first episode where Doris tries to use a pay phone to make a call and has to search for change. That scene wouldn't have worked if she was merely able to whip out a cell phone.

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 30 Jun 2005, 16:41

Wow!....

She is BEAUTIFUL, isn't she?

I recieved the set today, and love it...the what's my line appearences were hilarious! The interviews and promos were great too. Those are real special features (I only wish we could see bloopers!!!).

I just watched all the special features, and 5 episodes--time really flies!

And the outfits she wears--they're great, and so 'in' --- even now!

I especially like her hair how she wears it all up in some of the episodes--it makes her look the same as she did 8 years earlier in Please Dont Eat the Dasies.

I guess she is ageless... :D

Happy Watching, Gang!
- Katie

Betty

Fashions

Unread post by Betty » 30 Jun 2005, 18:27

Doris fashions during the whole series is so up to date, she was ahead of her time. The last three years as I recall she had the long skirts and boots. Can't wait for all the seasons of the TV show!

webmaster

The Doris Day Show

Unread post by webmaster » 30 Jun 2005, 20:35

I have to say, while you are all getting excited, I've never seen The Doris Day Show. And that is probably true of many of us UK fans.

I've always thought I like Doris 'in her movies' and didn't really want to watch her on TV. Particularly after reading her book and hearing how she was virtualy forced into doing it. But now, after all I've read, I'd really like to see it.

But I have one question: is this for Doris Day fans only - or could you play it to a group of friends who came back from the pub/bar in the way you could with her music - always welcome and enjoyed in my experience - or a film like "Pillow Talk" - or even "Lucky Me", if you were in that mad devil-make-care mood?!

Vinton

???

Unread post by Vinton » 30 Jun 2005, 20:51

Bryan why would you not want to see Doris on TV? Its a part of her career. I would play the fifth season fashion show to the guys from the pub, Doris is in a bikini, and looks great for a Lady in her late forties! And if Doris did not do the series she would have most certainly gone totally broke because of Marty and his deals. Also its interesting to see Doris in this series, most actress's at her age then had to do horror films or the like.

Teachers_Pet

Unread post by Teachers_Pet » 30 Jun 2005, 20:55

Katie wrote:Wow!....

I recieved the set today, and love it...the what's my line appearences were hilarious! The interviews and promos were great too. Those are real special features (I only wish we could see bloopers!!!).

I just watched all the special features, and 5 episodes--time really flies!
Katie--I think there will be bloopers included in the SEASON TWO box set; that's what I read in a promo.

Doris is amazing--I know she was forced to do the series; however, when I watch it even with that knowledge, I would never know. She is a true professional. She seemed to really care for everyone in the cast. Philip Brown even said she was like his "second" mother, and he looked forward to going to work every day just to be with Doris. I was not at all surprised to hear that.

Betty

TV

Unread post by Betty » 30 Jun 2005, 20:58

Bryan don't be a TV snob! That's not like you! Besides you should push the series to help with the site! Even though it is not thast much.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 30 Jun 2005, 21:17

Teacher's_Pet wrote:

"Doris is amazing--I know she was forced to do the series; however, when I watch it even with that knowledge, I would never know. She is a true professional. She seemed to really care for everyone in the cast. Philip Brown even said she was like his "second" mother, and he looked forward to going to work every day just to be with Doris. I was not at all surprised to hear that."

Tis true. What a PRO she was ... Doris is charming, sunny, funny, totally into her character during what had to be one of the worst periods of her life. But you'd never know it by looking at her ... she 's as delightful as ever!