The Doris Day Show Season One

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

First Season

Unread post by ray » 28 Jul 2005, 12:22

Bryan only two more shows to cover form the first season and that will conclude the first set of DD TV Shows untill season two in October, till then...Que Sera Sera!!!

Vinton

Groovy

Unread post by Vinton » 28 Jul 2005, 12:30

That always irked me to hear Doris say groovy! But that is how the California crowd talked and Doris and Kay Ballard dicussed that one time about the lingo of the day and that is was ok to use. Doris was entering her hippie stage at this point. She let it all hang out and was laid back and I bet Terry approved whole heartedly.

Earl

Groovy

Unread post by Earl » 29 Jul 2005, 02:35

Speaking of Groovy. Looking forward to Doris singing "Feelin Groovy" and the meldey of songs which open her first Televison Special The Doris Mary Anne kappeloff Special.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Episode 27-The Five Dollar Bill

Unread post by ray » 30 Jul 2005, 22:55

Aired April 29, 1969- Billy returns a wallet he has found to a neighborhood woman who later accuses him of stealing five dollars from it.

Episode 28-Aired- May 6, 1969- When Buck, Leroy and the boys go on a camping trip, Leroy's cousins arrive and try to help Doris do work on the house.

Well Folks, thats the whole 28 shows from the first season. Many have said they are much better than they remembered. I saw these shows when they first aired and today they still have the same effect on me. just makes me feel good to see Doris! Pure and simple:) My God, i was sixteen then!!! Where do the years go!LOL!

Ray L

Thoughts about the first season...

Unread post by Ray L » 30 Jul 2005, 23:30

No one else BUT Doris could have survived that first season of the TV shows with the poor scripts and ratings, not to mention what Doris was going through in her personal life. She went form Super Movie Star to Super Televison stardom after turning the show aroud in its second year. She is an inspiraion for hanging in there and making things work out. Other Movie People didn't make a second season much less a whole season. Contract or not Doris proved herself a winner again and then went on to number one in the bookworld with her Story.
What a list of accomplishments, Big Band Singer, Recording Star, Movie and TV Star.

Vinton

When it rained, it poured for Doris!

Unread post by Vinton » 31 Jul 2005, 00:08

The second season startes nicely enough with the ratings and the show. But other tragic events surfaced. That Manson nightmare and the sonic rumor that Doris was dateing her married Producer. The wife, is was reported at the time was an extra in the Doris Modeling episode of her show. The wife I believe took her own life. It was around the time Doris posed with Rose Marie and Rosie's daughter off screen. Back then these events could make or break a career. Doris rolled with the punches and still managed to smile onscreen!

Betty

Date

Unread post by Betty » 31 Jul 2005, 00:26

How did Doris find the time to date, with the show and everything else going on? I also read during the course of the TV run Doris hurt her hand very badly and her surgeon was killed in a plane crash. One thing after the other.

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 31 Jul 2005, 09:27

In her book she says she really didnt have the time to a lot date during her show, until the last season...I'm sure, esp. at the shows beginning, that was not one her her top priorities, after everything that had just happened to her.

Sorry to go 'off topic', but I couldnt resist posting this very cute picture that I found one ebay...looks like it was taken during the filming of 'Teacher's Pet'

http://cgi.ebay.com/DORIS-DAY-IN-MINK-C ... dZViewItem
- Katie

Karen T

Unread post by Karen T » 31 Jul 2005, 13:44

Great photo Katie, I think it was taken aboard the 'Queen Elizabeth' which brought Doris to the U.K. to make the movie 'man who knew too much'. I remember seeing a 'newsreel' which showed Doris walking off the 'Queen Elizabeth' when it docked at southampton, she was wearing that outfit.

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 31 Jul 2005, 17:02

Oh Karen,

You are probably right!

I didnt even realize that it looked like she was on a ship....good thinking!

:lol:
- Katie

Karen T

Unread post by Karen T » 01 Aug 2005, 12:54

Thanks Ray, for all your 'reviews' on the D.D. Show, like I have mentioned before I have never seen any of the show until now, and I have thoroughly enjoyed every episode ... can't wait for 'season two' - hope you will 'review' it for us. Just one question "what flavour is 'Rocky Road Ice cream"?, Doris was eating it in the 'Musical', being from England I have never heard of it!! I read somewhere that Doris loved icecream - what other food does she like? Once again, Thanks RAY xx

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 01 Aug 2005, 13:39

Karen--

I didn't know Rocky Road was only over here!

It's like just a big jumble of things: chocolate ice cream, a little vanilla, nuts, marshmellow...

I love ice cream, but I personally think Rocky Road is gross :oops: ...to much stuff in it, and I don't like nuts! lol

But it was funny in that episode (The Musical is one of my favorites from season 1, by the way) when Buck was scooping her serving, and he said "Can you eat two?" and then Doris said, "I can eat four!" I thought that was pretty funny.
- Katie

ray
I danced with Doris!

TV Shows

Unread post by ray » 01 Aug 2005, 14:13

Karen I am so glad you like the first season as I did! Looking forwrd to season two and promise you will help me with the reviews on that one!!!LOL! Nice when eveyone shares their views about the shows.

And Kate I don't like nuts in ice cream either!!LOL! Looks like Myself and Ralph are the only ones who dig Caprice judging from the other thread! And I don't care what aviatar Steven has, I am just so glad to see him back on the forum!! I will rewatch the first season till October!!LOL! Happy viewng!

webmaster

Ray

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Aug 2005, 14:22

Ray, you would like a film of Doris asleep for two hours! :twisted:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 01 Aug 2005, 14:30

Bryan--
That was really funny....

:lol:

You're quite the comidien sometimes, I must admit!
- Katie

webmaster

Ray

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Aug 2005, 14:34

It's true though, isn't it?! :roll:

Total unconditional love - Ray would have made a great pet for Doris! :twisted:

Woof, woof!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Pet!!

Unread post by ray » 01 Aug 2005, 14:44

LOL!! Thats true Bryan!!! Wish Doris would adopt me!!!! But your barking up the wrong tree!!!LOL! I didn't like Where Were You When The Lights Went Out!!! Well, not that much but I still liked it because of Doris!!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Aug 2005, 14:50

Cool, Ray! 8)

"Lights" wasn't too bad, compared to "Do Not Disturb".
I guess it's all down to Martin Melcher who sent her career into a nose dive with his poor choice of projects.

TomJones

Sleep

Unread post by TomJones » 01 Aug 2005, 15:08

Bryan,

If Andy Warhol had used Doris in his 1963 film, it would have been a hit - at least for Ray!

http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:134563

webmaster

Sleep

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Aug 2005, 15:12

Yes, Tom, that actually came into my head while I was posting.

But I must admit I'd rather watch Doris asleep than some of the current 'stars' awake! :twisted:

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Re: Pet!!

Unread post by Ralph » 01 Aug 2005, 15:56

ray wrote:LOL!! Thats true Bryan!!! Wish Doris would adopt me!!!! But your barking up the wrong tree!!!LOL! I didn't like Where Were You When The Lights Went Out!!! Well, not that much but I still liked it because of Doris!!
Actually, WWYWTLWO started out good. I enjoyed the first half, but once Day got to the country home, the movie went downhill. The sleeping potion nonsense was ridiculous.

On "Caprice." If they had edited out part of that (the dusting powder commercial, the potato chip eating, the "scolding" Day got after she was arrested for trying to sell the secret formula), it would have been rather smart. But director, Frank Tashlin couldn't leave well enough alone. He always went overboard. Day's acting was just fine in this movie. They could have done without, "I'm the spy who came in from the cold cream." Junk like that. I thought the movie opened beautifully with the ski chase. Day's scenes with Edward Mulhare were good, also the ones she had with Ray Walston and Lilia Skala as Madame Piasco. There was a lot of good in the picture. For the time, there was nothing wrong with Day's costumes. She wasn't playing a middled-age woman in "Caprice." She was "thirty-something" as Patricia Fowler.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Review of Season 3 Doris Day Show

Unread post by Jas1 » 03 Aug 2005, 08:58

I don't remember the episode titles, but here goes for a little review of some of the shows from the 3rd season. Doris Martin has moved now to Sanfrancisco living above the Italian restaurant with her 2 sons. I have given the episodes my own titles: -

The Ball Game! - Ron Harvey (Doris' immediate boss) insists Doris accompanies him to the ball game at the weekend. She protests and insists she will be relaxing at home watching an old Ronald Coleman movie. He attracts her there reminding her of the hot dogs. At the game a rather out of place Doris (in hat and cape) is more interested in the peanut man, ice cream man etc and causes uproar in the crowd shouting her orders. At one stage her blanket falls over a man in the row infront and he misses a fantastic goal. Doris doesn't see the big deal and when he tells her it was a record she replies "so you can see it tonight on the 11 o'clock news"!

Ron takes Doris into the men's dressing room after the game (shades of "Sex in the City & Footballer's wives") - Doris covers her eyes as half naked players wolf whistle etc. It soon transpires Ron has asked Doris to the game as girl bait as he wants an interview with the famous player (and womaniser) Joe Garrison. Doris is discusted by this and accompanies Ron and Joe for drinks under protest with alot of eye rolling on Doris' part as she cannot believe the attitude of Garrison (shades of Brad Allen in Pillow Talk).

Joe cuts the interview short and tricks Doris into arriving alone at his apartment the next evening to finish "the business" - Joe is interested in Doris because she is not gushing over him as other women do.

Doris arrives at the apartment expecting Ron to be there too (Garrison has cancelled Ron). Garrison offers Doris drinks etc and sets about wooing her. When she sits on the satee / sofa soft music plays (she stands/ sits/ stands as the music starts and stops) and cannot believe it. Again shades of "PT". Joe chases her around the flat and it is funny the noise of the music as she runs across the sofa. The chase culminates in Joe falling and breaking his leg.

Doris takes him self healing books to the hospital to apologise (she wears a very sexy black outfit, hat and boots to match) - again he chases her around the hospital room with one leg in plaster. Doris gets the interview for the magazine in the end!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Season 3 -

Unread post by Jas1 » 03 Aug 2005, 09:15

Sniffing for Sulphur - Doris arrives home to find the boys dancing groovily with the baby sitter - she (wearing a brown midi) joins in and dances "the catch" - she puts her back out during the dance and the sitter helps her onto her lovely balcony - Doris relaxes and tells her how she adores relaxing there each day after work - she then notices her plants (brought from the farm) and how they are dying. She calls in an expert who tells her it is because of the environment in the City and the most likely culprit is sulphur.

Cut to Doris and Myrna (her work colleague and friend) driving - Myrn says "Doris we've done some crazy things in our lunch hour but sniffing for sulphur..." Doris is convinced a new factory has opened in the area and eventually finds it and confronts the manager. He tells her they "could" install filters but it would cost too much. Doris is incensed and gives him a lecture on how this pollution is effecting all kinds of species and plants etc (I was surprised how environmentally friendly this episode was and quite ahead of its time (1970).

Doris persuades Colonel Fiarburn (the big boss played by Edward Andrews) to allow her to do an article on the pollution "name and shame". He gives the go ahead and Ron takes ariel views of the chimneys of the factory. The Colonel starts to read Doris' article and loves it until he realises he is on the Board of the factory. He does a complete u-turn and refused to let Doris publish the article. She pleads with him and reminds him the atmosphere effects all things - air, water etc - even his precious fish (he adores his fish). He notices the fish in the tank are ailing and changes his mind. He calls the factory and insists they install filters. They then decide to re-write the article naming the factory as the first of its kind to tackle pollution etc. Doris is delighted and stays with the Colonel as he adores his fish (shade of Glass Bottom Boat as Doris gazes through the tank and looks fabulous).

webmaster

Episode Guide

Unread post by webmaster » 08 Aug 2005, 05:24

The Doris Day Show Episode Guide

Summary:
According to most sources, movie superstar Doris Day had never wanted to appear in a weekly TV sitcom, but had been contractually committed to the project without her knowledge by her husband/manager Martin Melcher. Thus, the reluctant actress stepped into the role of Doris Martin in the half-hour series bearing her name, which made its CBS bow on ... More >
http://www.starpulse.com/Television/Dor ... Show,_The/

Betty

Ratings

Unread post by Betty » 08 Aug 2005, 12:21

So then the second and third season garnered the highest TV ratings.