More

Unread post by webmaster » 09 Aug 2005, 08:27

More on The Doris Day Show (Google Alert):

http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/1996/47/
What a difference a Day makes...

Earl

First Season Doris Martin

Unread post by Earl » 06 Sep 2005, 00:13

I like the first season Doris Martin. The other seasons the TV exces didn't seem to know what to do with her. The country widow with two chidren seemed to fit well. But I did like all the seasons because our gal looks good just standing doing nothing!!!

Vinton

Greta Grabo

Unread post by Vinton » 06 Sep 2005, 00:38

Greta Garbo movies are out today on DVD, but I find Doris more appealing even on her TV shows, the Lady has IT!

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Re: The Doris Day Show Season One

Unread post by gerard » 30 Jan 2009, 09:43

Does anyone know if Doris tried to break the contract for this series? She was signed by her husband, and so there may have been grounds for doing so. She appears (in season 1) as a slightly reluctant performer..
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by daybyday08 » 30 Jan 2009, 16:51

I'm pretty sure that she didn't fight it and just stuck with doing the show. I think she seemed reluctant because of her husbands death and having to get used to doing television.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 30 Jan 2009, 18:46

Yes and also needing the money at the time due to her lawyers bad investments .The show was a God send to Doris when it came right down to it,as it gave her financial freedom and gave her a chance to make her own choices about things. I think she grew as a person at that time.
suzie

TCMMovieFan

Re: Are These People Really "Stars?"

Unread post by TCMMovieFan » 29 Aug 2010, 11:35

Ralph wrote: _____________________________________________

It's true that movie stars of the Golden Age (which ended in the '60s) rarely appeared on television, except on Academy Awards night. It's true that rarely you'd see one on What's My Line? or the Tonight Show, but hardly ever ACTING on a show or sitting on one of these game shows, they way they do today. "Movie stars" today are more like TV people. With all the entertainment shows both on network and cable TV, we see these "movie stars" like Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston every hour, every day. They are covered to death and are as familiar to us as the girl who sacks groceries at the supermarket.

There is no "mystique" about any of them. Today, there is such a fierce hunger for "celebrity," everybody is trying to be one: policemen, "stars" of reality programs, murderers, rapists, runaway brides, adulterers...everybody wants to get their face on TV and "get some of that fame."

Today's actors are on late night, The View, Ellen, Today, Good Morning America, Extra, Entertainment Tonight, A Current Affair, Tony Danza, Regis and Kelly, etc. I get sick of looking at them! They even show up on Fear Factor...anything to get their faces on TV! Even news shows stop to talk about Britiney Spears or Michael Jackson or JLo's butt.

When I turn on TV, I have it on five minutes and they are talking about some "celebrity." Why? Because that's all they think that people are interesting in hearing about. Today's movies end up on TV or DVD so fast, what's the sense in going to the movies? As you know, I cannot tolerate multiplex "theatres." Give me my grand movie palace and while you're at it, SOME REAL STARS!
[/quote]

Very True - Ralph ! All your points are valid here. Thanks for sharing !

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 » 24 Sep 2010, 21:51

You can see that by the third season of her show she really is enjoying herself. It shows in her acting and also by what she has said in past interviews.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara » 11 Apr 2011, 15:46

Image Love this picture of Doris. as it opens her show

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 11 Apr 2011, 16:11

Doesn't Doris look amazing in Seaon1? Sure Doris Martin became more stylish/ with it in later seaons, but she never looked better than in Season 1.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 11 Apr 2011, 18:45

I agree ... in season one, the photography was sharp, and DD looked lovely!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson » 11 Apr 2011, 21:59

howard wrote:I agree ... in season one, the photography was sharp, and DD looked lovely!

I think the photography did not get "fuzzy" until certain episodes of season 2 (where she wore the long falls). Season 3 was fine too. But 4 and 5 were so filtered they made my eyes tear.

Season 1 was so sharp. I wish they had used that in the later season when her clothes became more sophisticated and less "station wagon".

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard » 11 Apr 2011, 22:11

I could never understand the soft focus. Season one was sharp, and the soft focus in later seasons was totally unnecessary!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara » 18 Apr 2011, 12:53

Image Thought Doris looked so cute in this opening picture of her on her TV shows :D

Barbara

Unread post by Barbara » 18 Apr 2011, 12:59

Image Here is another picture of Doris opening her TV show.. :D

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray » 18 Jul 2015, 19:43

I have to get off this tangent of CBS looking like they were trying to destroy Doris's career with the material they gave her. Two shows had already been done on The Andy Griffins show. Its not hard to see the plot was done before. Doris puts on a school show that was called too shocking for the school staff. Andys girlfriend did the same plot years earlier. Its like Mayberry hits The Twlight Zone. What CBS didn't know that Doris's star power and talent could withstand what was given her to work with.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 20 Jul 2015, 05:26

Ray - i appreciate your view, however it would have been in no-one's interest - CBS in particular - for the show to fail so i really do not think there was a deliberate attempt to destroy the show/ Doris' career - a show they [CBS] had put a lot of money into.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny » 05 Sep 2015, 15:49

I watched the first episode of The Doris Day Show, season 1 with my nephew and niece, Patricia and Stephen. If I recall correctly, the two boys found a wallet with money. The dilemma was whether to keep the money or return the wallet. What was the right thing to do?

This story made a definite positive impression on the children and they remember it today as adults. I did not think much about it at the time as a life lesson. I just thought Doris looked incredibly beautiful and was happy to see the show.

I watched all five seasons of The Doris Day Show and last year I bought the DVD set. I still show it to family members and it is enjoyed.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover » 05 Sep 2015, 16:28

Johnny, how sweet that your niece and nephew still recollect that episode after all these years. Just shows that one never knows what will be a lasting imprint on those young minds.