The Doris Day Show Season One

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
Betty

Sound Of Music

Unread post by Betty » 05 Jul 2005, 13:20

Doris running through the field in the opening with the boys reminds me of Maria in The Sound Of Music. I could so see Doris in that role.

Kim

Format

Unread post by Kim » 05 Jul 2005, 13:59

Ms. Day was used to different roles in the movies so the changeing formats for each season of her show suited her fine.

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Songwriter

Unread post by ray » 06 Jul 2005, 12:08

Aired October 29, 1968--After receiving a glowing acceptance of one of his songs, Leroy fancies himself becoming a successful composer. Doris even sang a little in this episode.

ray
I danced with Doris!

The Antique

Unread post by ray » 06 Jul 2005, 12:12

Aired November 12, 1968-- When two old ladies con Billy and Toby out of a valuable antique from the attic, Doris has a plot to get it back.
Those big old cars back then are a hoot! Doris sang again briefly on the front porch with Fran Ryan singing Sweet Sixteen.

Vinton

Scripts

Unread post by Vinton » 06 Jul 2005, 12:47

I think we all agree the material handed to Doris this first season was beneath her. But to her credit she dealt with it and tried her best with the poor scripts. Someone else would neve have survived, even if they had an iron clad contract like Doris with CBS.

ray
I danced with Doris!

TV Shows

Unread post by ray » 06 Jul 2005, 13:39

Nothing is either good nor bad. I think Doris said this in one of her interviews years ago. She also said there were movies she made she wasn't that crazy about but people would write her and say they enjoyed them or were upifted by them. I am a caregiver to My Mother who is 84 and she loves it when I put The Doris Day Shows on. We live in the coutry and the country feel and the simple life of the shows make her feel good! So it's like Doris theraphy!LOL! I also enjoy the shows and have all summer for us both to enjoy.

Teachers_Pet

Re: Scripts

Unread post by Teachers_Pet » 06 Jul 2005, 15:12

Vinton wrote:I think we all agree the material handed to Doris this first season was beneath her. But to her credit she dealt with it and tried her best with the poor scripts. Someone else would neve have survived, even if they had an iron clad contract like Doris with CBS.

Vinton--I would prefer to speak for myself on this issue. I am thrilled with the release of Season One of the show and am looking forward to the other seasons that will follow. Even though I know that Doris did not want to do a tv show and went through a bad time with all of this, none of that comes across to me. I see someone who seems to care very much about the rest of the cast and gives it 100%.

I walk away from each episode with a big smile on my face; anyone who can do that for me is special in my book. I am glad I am able to appreciate the positive feeling Doris projects. I think I would react that way if Doris stood there and read the phone book.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Song

Unread post by ray » 06 Jul 2005, 16:15

A dear forum friend reminded me that the song Doris and Fran Ryan sang on the front porch was, Down By The Old Mill Stream, not Sweet Sixteen as I reported. Had such a warm and cozy feel with Doris warbling on the front porch on a summer's eve, thats what heaven would be like!!!

Celia

Unread post by Celia » 06 Jul 2005, 22:28

Ray,
You are so very nice to everyone! What do you do for a living? You can't be a power mad mogul in corporate America as you yanks say!

Jas1
Honorary Member

IDEAL EVENING

Unread post by Jas1 » 07 Jul 2005, 08:13

My "ideal evening" out with Doris would be dressed up to the nines, good food, lots of laughs (and wine) and a sing song round a piano a la "roly poly" in "Pillow Talk".

ray
I danced with Doris!

Example

Unread post by ray » 07 Jul 2005, 12:04

No Celia I am not a power mad mogul yank at all. I work as an office clerk for sixteen years at a Mutual Fund co. I am no saint but do try and be nice to people I care about and try to be positive. Doris has always shown by example how we should strive for this and with whats going on in the world today such as the terrible London incident we have to strive even harder to end this negative forces around our world trying to take away our peace of mind and freedom.

ray
I danced with Doris!

The Fly Boy

Unread post by ray » 08 Jul 2005, 02:02

Aired February 11, 1069--- An airforce colonel becomes smitten with Doris and bets his flyig buddies that he will romance her on the first date.
I skipped to this show because I fondly remember this episode when it first aired. Doris looked stunning in what looked like a chocolate form fitting gown and seemed like she just walked off the set of one of her movies. The same type of entrance like in Do Not Disturb. when Doris wore the sexy gold sequence gown. And long jacket coat with the lineing that matched. She looked gorgeous fooling the man that tries to fool her. She pretended to be tipsy, pouring her drinks in a planter and told her suitor she would defrost when she wanted and not with him. Did someone mention on the forum that Doris wore this gown in one of her movies?

Betty

Producer

Unread post by Betty » 08 Jul 2005, 11:19

The first half of the Doris Day showa has martin melcher listed on the closing credits as producer even though he had passed on before the shows were made.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Off To A Good Start!

Unread post by Ralph » 08 Jul 2005, 21:35

Well, folks, I received THE DORIS DAY COLLECTION yesterday and played the bonus features first. They were great! I especially loved Doris' appearances on What's My LIne? She was sexy and fun and a REAL MOVIE STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The one thing that always impresses me about Doris is her intelligence. She THINKS before she speaks. She also doesn't want to EVER say the wrong thing or say ANYTHING wrong (that might make her look stupid or conceited).

Her advertisements for her TV show were honest and charming. I watched only one episode called "The Date" and I thought it was heartfelt. Doris is such a fabulous actress, so real and natural. You can just feel the real concern about her maid.

I look forward to seeing many of the other episodes. That one was much better than I expected. :lol:

I forgot to mention that the set is beautifully packaged. Obviously, Terry made sure that this would be a first class project, he succeeded. Oh, how I wish he could see the results! It's interesting that in 1968, "a season" was 28 weeks as opposed to 13 weeks today. That makes 140 episodes of the Day Show! No wonder I have seen Seinfeld episodes so many times, so fast...

Celia

Unread post by Celia » 08 Jul 2005, 23:16

Ray,
You sound like such a terrific guy! I don't know why I can't ever meet anyone like you. Maybe we need to have a Doris get together so that I can meet some great guys!

ray
I danced with Doris!

TV Shows

Unread post by ray » 09 Jul 2005, 01:21

Celia thank you, would be nice to plan a huge DD get together. I May a few of us did get together in New York, which was nice. Only wish we had contacted Donna from the forum, but haven't seen her on here lately. I know she lives in New York.
And Ralph I am so glad you are happy with your TV Shows boxed set! And she the packageing is first class and Terry would be proud. Hope you review many more of the TV shows with your expert writing and reviews that you have done for Doris's films. Ralph was at the get together in May and he is a wonderful man, I am so glad to have met him. Episode 26- The Date was first aired April 22, 1969.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Episode-7

Unread post by ray » 09 Jul 2005, 12:52

Aired November 19,1968- A flashback recalls how Leroy became hired as the Martin family's handyman with the help of Billy and Tobey. The title- Leroy B. Simpson.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Episode 8- The Black Eye

Unread post by ray » 09 Jul 2005, 12:58

Aired November 26, 1968- After Billy comes home from school with a black eye and admits he didn't fight back, Buck fears he is a coward. This show had Lisa Gerritson as Billy's girlfriend and I think she played his girlfirend again in season three. Lisa was in a TV shw at the time called, My World and Welcome to it. At the ens of Disc One there is a plug for the new Doris Day book. Sentimental Journey and MPI"s 25th aniversary video catalog of TV shows.

Betty

Feed Back

Unread post by Betty » 09 Jul 2005, 14:37

Come on guys lets get some feedback on the TV shows! I love them!!!

Vinton

TV Boxed Set

Unread post by Vinton » 09 Jul 2005, 15:12

I agree with Ralph, the first season shows are better than I remembered. The photographs througout the boxed set are top notch.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Re: Episode-7

Unread post by Ralph » 09 Jul 2005, 19:54

ray wrote:Aired November 19,1968- A flashback recalls how Leroy became hired as the Martin family's handyman with the help of Billy and Tobey. The title- Leroy B. Simpson.

Interesting note here: An actor friend of mine, Mitchell Huber, with whom I appeared off-Broadway in a scathing play called "Glory Hole," for over a year, went to California, auditioned, and just missed being cast as "Leroy" in the DORIS DAY SHOW! I remember him sending me a letter to that effect. He was a marvellous actor and I was sorry he didn't get the part. Mitch had a lot of sex appeal and was a great deal more "hunky" than James Hampton. They probably thought that Doris Martin might just might not be able to resist getting iinterested in "Leroy" had Mitchell gotten the part.

I haven't heard from him in years!

p. s. I've worked with and met a lot of actors during my time. Some of them are working in Hollywood films and TV, others are directing, writing, etc. When I mention someone, believe me, I didn't make it up. Everytime I see Kevin Conway on TV, it reminds me of the fact that he told me (at a party) that he saw me in "Bars of Dawn," off-Broadway and enjoyed my performance! I was shocked. Kevin was starring off-Broadway in "When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder?," at the time. You see, we had a mutual friend, actor Hector Elias, who was in "Bars" with me and was presently in the cast of "Sticks and Bones," (at the Public Theatre) which was on its way to Broadway. I met the famous Joe Papp (founder of the New York Public Theatre) that night and also Elizabeth Wilson ("Tunnel of Love," "The Graduate"), who had the female lead in "Sticks." A few months later, I saw Conway's face and name on a huge Times Square billboared right next to James Earl Jones', which was advertising "Othello" on Broadway. Small world.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Talking About Doris Day....

Unread post by ray » 09 Jul 2005, 22:44

Chatted on the phone with Ralph from the forum and we could have talked hours about Doris. Brought to mind that during the filming of the five years of the TV show Doris was going through horrendous events in her life. A lesser person would have enede up in a rubber room! But Doris has enormous strenght and proved it during those years. Martin melcher dies and left the financial woes, that Manson Family incident and Terry's motorcyle accident along with the court battle that not many knew about till the award in 1974. Yet Doris carried on with no self pity, she is an example to all of us. What a remarkable woman. No wonder she has such a following and loyal and forever fans/friends like Ralph. Who is a super person and so nice.

Betty

Tough Times

Unread post by Betty » 09 Jul 2005, 23:08

How did Doris even want to get into TV scripts at that time, but she did and made us smile!

Dawnelle

Unread post by Dawnelle » 10 Jul 2005, 00:11

I just hate how they (the media) slants things. I am looking at my tape of the Doris Day interview (the clip from 1993) recently shown on Entertainment Tonight. The narrator said that when Rock announced he had AIDS, Doris was by his side. They then showed the clip of Rock standing with Doris in a promo announcing her cable show "Best Friends". Although Rock had AIDs at the time, he had not admitted it. That promo had nothing to do with Doris standing by his side when he announced that he had AIDs. As a matter of fact, he allowed his publicist to dislose his AIDS when he was in a Paris hospital. I doubt that Doris saw him again.

Dawnelle

Unread post by Dawnelle » 10 Jul 2005, 00:12

I just hate how they (the media) slant things. I am looking at my tape of the Doris Day interview (the clip from 1993) recently shown on Entertainment Tonight. The narrator said that when Rock announced he had AIDS, Doris was by his side. They then showed the clip of Rock standing with Doris in a promo announcing her cable show "Best Friends". Although Rock had AIDs at the time, he had not admitted it. That promo had nothing to do with Doris standing by his side when he announced that he had AIDs. As a matter of fact, he allowed his publicist to dislose his AIDS when he was in a Paris hospital. I doubt that Doris saw him again.