The Doris Day Show Season One

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
Vinton

Special

Unread post by Vinton » 10 Jul 2005, 00:13

The second season will be out October 25th. Wonder when the First Special will be released on its own.

Kim

Rock Hudson

Unread post by Kim » 10 Jul 2005, 00:23

You are right Dawnelle, Doris did not know Rock had AIDS when that promo for the cable series was filmed but she did stand by him in a sense when she called his house probably right up to his death that October. And the heart wrenching tribute speech about Rock on the cable series. Rock Hudson was mentioned as a joke on The Doris Day first season as a potential suitor. And Rock showed up on Doris first TV Specail outing.

Teachers_Pet

Rock Hudson

Unread post by Teachers_Pet » 10 Jul 2005, 15:19

Rock was also mentioned in a couple of her movies--PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES and THAT TOUCH OF MINK come to mind. There may be others.........

pebrogan

Rock

Unread post by pebrogan » 10 Jul 2005, 18:39

Rock was also mentioned in "Do Not Disturb"!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Poetic License?

Unread post by Ralph » 10 Jul 2005, 21:30

Dawnelle wrote:I just hate how they (the media) slants things. I am looking at my tape of the Doris Day interview (the clip from 1993) recently shown on Entertainment Tonight. The narrator said that when Rock announced he had AIDS, Doris was by his side. They then showed the clip of Rock standing with Doris in a promo announcing her cable show "Best Friends". Although Rock had AIDs at the time, he had not admitted it. That promo had nothing to do with Doris standing by his side when he announced that he had AIDs. As a matter of fact, he allowed his publicist to dislose his AIDS when he was in a Paris hospital. I doubt that Doris saw him again.

They do that all the time, yes. I don't think it's illegal, however, they are just practicing BAD JOURNALISM. Rock's publicist had put out that Rock had "the flu." That's what Doris said she thought. As nosey as the press is, I'm wondering why somebody there didn't ask Rock if he was "sick?" I remember how Doris tried to cover her concern when she glanced at Rock and then smiled at the many cameras they were facing.

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Timing

Unread post by ray » 10 Jul 2005, 22:40

If the press conference for the pet series was a few weeks later Rock would have been to sick to attend. He was determined to show up for his dear friend Doris. He had said he didn' like it when Doris was mad with him. It's twenty years this summer since that press conference, I think it was in June or July.
I am surprised thay even filmed the segment with Rock the way he looked and felt. But it was meant to be and he wanted to do this show for Doris so much. Must have been very hard for Rock to live a lie all his life. Back then you had to in order to be accepted and survive especially if you were in show business. It's still very sad and the Love Doris and Rock had for each other always shone through, even at the end of his life.

Vicki M

Series Clothes

Unread post by Vicki M » 11 Jul 2005, 09:36

I just finished watching the entire 1st season DVD set. I noticed she wore a lot of outfits from her movies. She wore the apron from Where Were You . . quite a bit. She also wore the white coat and dress from that movie. I think she wore the green skirt/blazer outfit from Move Over, Darling although it was altered to be less boxy. It also looked like she wore the beige sweater/skirt from Please Don't Eat the Daisies or it could have been the one from Where Were You. She did have that deal to keep her clothes from her movies and they served her well in the series.

The interviews indicated that the cast was not paid all that well - except for her I suppose!

I do think those shows are better than anything on TV today. They were very realistic - especially the interplay with the kids. It is refreshing to watch a show with good kids rather than the sassy ones of today. She was a good example of parenting for Mom's today.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Mystery

Unread post by ray » 11 Jul 2005, 10:01

After watching the What's My Line segments on the Doris Day season one boxed set with My Brother and Sister-in-Law, I came upon some interesting material about Dorothy Kilgallen, a regular on that show. My Brother said she was murdered because she knew something about the JFK assination!!! After looking further I discovered Dorothy had an affair with Johnny Ray, worked on the Sam Shepard murder case, Knew something about Frank Sinatra, he didn't like her because of this knowledge and that she was alleged murdered because she knew somehting about the JFK assination. Wow how did this Lady get into all this? And not sure how she really died? A tragic and colorful story that isn't all that well known and why isn't it????

Vinton

Mystery

Unread post by Vinton » 11 Jul 2005, 10:38

Many associated with JFK died mysteriously. Marilyn Monroe and Dorothy. Gald Doris didn't hang out with the Rat Pack or JFK in the 1960's. Though Peter Lawford was a semi-regular on The Doris Day show in the early seventies. Peter was a Rat Pack member.

dorothy kilgallon

Unread post by Guest » 11 Jul 2005, 11:15

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Lisa Howard, TV journalist who interviewed JFK, Castro and Kruschev,
and served as the point person in the JFK-Castro backchannel UN link
with William Atwood and the Cubans, died of an apparent suicide on an
overdose of sleeping pills on July 4, 1965.

- Dorothy Kilgallon, New York Journal American reporter who covered
the
Ruby trial, and promised to "break open the Kennedy case," was found
dead of "ingestion of alcohol and barbiturates" on November 8, 1965.
Her "friend and confidante," Mrs. Earl T. Smith died two days later.

- John Costello, British journalist investigating the Cambridge spy
ring and it's connections to Americans Michael Straight, James J.
Angleton and the CIA, found dead of food poisoning on a train.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betty

What's My Line

Unread post by Betty » 11 Jul 2005, 12:03

Nice to see Robert Young as a panelist with Doris has the mystery guest on that 1957 show. Robert Young was Father Knows Best and Dr.Marcus Welby, is he still alive?

ray
I danced with Doris!

Season Two

Unread post by ray » 11 Jul 2005, 13:06

Bryan I want to pre-oreder Season Two of The Doris Day show at amazon and help benefit this site. Will I need a special link for that? You do such a great job, I want to help this site in an way I can.

DorisDayFanatic
Forum Friend

Hi

Unread post by DorisDayFanatic » 11 Jul 2005, 16:07

Robert Young died a while back I believe.

But he was terrific Jim on Fahter Knows Best, and as Dr. Marcus Welby.

webmaster

Ray

Unread post by webmaster » 11 Jul 2005, 16:08

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Pam~

Unread post by Pam~ » 11 Jul 2005, 19:32

Thanks Bryan! I just ordered Season 2 through your Web Address. It will be shipped out sometime in October :D .

Kindest Regards~

Pam

Betty

Season Two

Unread post by Betty » 11 Jul 2005, 20:14

I tried to order but only season one is there! Where is saeson two to pre-order?

Pam~

Season Two

Unread post by Pam~ » 11 Jul 2005, 21:55

Betty, I had the same problem when I attempted to order Season 2... a few days ago on Amazon. Amazon had advertized season 2 and I would get all the way to "Check Out" and then a message would come up stating that this item was no longer available by the "Seller." It was only after I "Clicked" on Bryan's Web Address that I was successful in "Pre-Ordering" Season 2 through Amazon.. Give it try and hopefully your order will go through for you too~

Pam

Teachers_Pet

Re: Season Two

Unread post by Teachers_Pet » 11 Jul 2005, 23:04

Betty wrote:I tried to order but only season one is there! Where is saeson two to pre-order?
Betty--

Go into the link Bryan included in this thread. Once you are into Amazon, Type Doris Day Show, Season 2 into the search area. Your computer will bring you to a screen that you will allow you to pre-order the show.

I just did it myself.

Betty

Thanks

Unread post by Betty » 12 Jul 2005, 01:42

Thanks guys I just pre-oredered!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Sam Sheppard

Unread post by ray » 12 Jul 2005, 02:35

With the help of a forum friend and the internet I found out more about one of the stories Dorothy Kilgalin had worked on, The Sam Sheppard murder case. Sam Sheppard was a medical Doctor who was accused in the beating death of his wife Marilyn in 1954. He was released and acqitted in 1966 and died of liver failure in 1970. The murder took place in their Lake Erie home.
This story was the inspiration for the TV show, The Fugitive, starring David Janssen. Doris wrote in her book that she saw David at a golf course soon after Martin Melcher's death and she hardly said hello to him because she was so grieve stricken about Marty. She wrote she hoped he did not think she snubbed him. Doris always worried about people's feelings, thats the kind of person she is.

Bryan I pre-orederd the second season of the Doris Day show from your link. Wonder how season one is doing on the amazon best seller list?

Vicki M

Season 2

Unread post by Vicki M » 12 Jul 2005, 09:21

I just ordered Season 2 also. I used the link and hope Bryan gets the credit. I didn't see anything about that while I was ordering. I wonder Bryan, if we wanted to order other items from Amazon (not Doris related), would you credit for that as well?

Vicki

Re: Sam Sheppard

Unread post by Guest » 12 Jul 2005, 10:21

ray wrote:With the help of a forum friend and the internet I found out more about one of the stories Dorothy Kilgalin had worked on, The Sam Sheppard murder case. Sam Sheppard was a medical Doctor who was accused in the beating death of his wife Marilyn in 1954. He was released and acqitted in 1966 and died of liver failure in 1970. The murder took place in their Lake Erie home.
This story was the inspiration for the TV show, The Fugitive, starring David Janssen. Doris wrote in her book that she saw David at a golf course soon after Martin Melcher's death and she hardly said hello to him because she was so grieve stricken about Marty. She wrote she hoped he did not think she snubbed him. Doris always worried about people's feelings, thats the kind of person she is.

Bryan I pre-orederd the second season of the Doris Day show from your link. Wonder how season one is doing on the amazon best seller list?

After watching the What's My Line? sequences, I was puzzled why they didn't include Dorothy Killgallen's presentation to Doris Day, the three million-selling gold record for "Whatever Will Be Will Be?" I've seen the picture of the two with the award record many times and it says that it was presented to Day on that show. Anybody know?

Vinton

Award

Unread post by Vinton » 12 Jul 2005, 13:22

They must have given Doris the three million seller for Que Sera Sera award after the show was aired. Two bad they didn't include that on the What's My Line extras. They showed the Secret Love best selling trophy on the 1954 show.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Dorothy Kilgallin

Unread post by ray » 12 Jul 2005, 13:33

Dorothy was found dead in her New York apartment shortly after doing a supposed interview with Jack Ruby, who was not very emontinally stabe at the time. The buzz was Jack told Dorothy a grave secret that would put a new light on the JFK assaninaion.

Jack Ruby as we know shot Lee Harvey Oswold and killed him right before our eyes on TV. Oswarld was the lone suspect in the JFK assination. Dorothy was found dead in her bedroom with other family members in other rooms of the apartment. Not sure want she died of, read accidently overdose of pills and achohol. My Brother said it was a strange type of virus that did her in, he said he read that at the time of her death I believe in 1965.

Karen T

Dorothy Kilgallon

Unread post by Karen T » 12 Jul 2005, 14:16

I read on the 'net' that she angered Frank Sinatra because she had said that she hoped Kennedy would not let the 'rat pack' and hollywood have the run of the White House.