what is your favorite season of the show ?

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
suzie
Forum Big Sister

what is your favorite season of the show ?

Unread post by suzie »

I know im kind of in the minority here ,but I love season 1. The later seasons seem to ramble a bit too much.Doris changed her format as much as she moved her furniture at home. (constantly ) lol.
I found season 1 to be cute and very real ...Some of the later shows seemed pretty contrived .Shows doris' show power to be able to work with kids and a dog and not be up staged by them. Doris' shows were all great ,but Im very partial to season 1. How about you ?
suzie

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: what is your favorite season of the show ?

Unread post by daybyday08 »

So far my favorite season is 5. Season five is my favorite because, I think almost all of the episodes are very funny and I love her connection with her boss Cy. Alot of the episodes in this season have good messages & also just teach you to have fun with what your doing. I always look forward to the fashion show episodes in all the season. But, in this season I really think it was the best with the music and the clothes. Her wardrobe esp in this season was incredible! Jarvis & Jackie were great too!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Season 5 is my second choice. It is very good. Doris had some fantastic clothes for sure. :wink:
suzie

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I have not seen season 5- yet! Of the others: season 3 is my favourite by far and followed by seasons 2, 1 and 4.

I agree, Season 1 was the most 'real' and Doris looked superb.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

I started out absolutely disliking Season 1 and it is now my favorite too, Suzie! I couldn't stand it at first, the farm, Leroy, eveyrthing... seemed too slow paced to me. But I took to it. Seasons 2 & 3 were and still are favorites. With the kids, Myrna, Mr Harvey & Mr Nicholson gone, seasons 4 & 5 are lacking something for me BUT they have Cy and Jackie and are still enjoyable. It's funny though how much Doris Martin evolved from season 1 to 5... apart from the cast changes, Doris' own personality has changed. From mother and widow to single woman and swinger...! Another thing you gotta love about the show is that Doris' looks got groovier as the seasons went on. I can't believe people, specially women, dressed like that these days! Don't get me wrong: I love it hahaha.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

You, know im not positive but I think season 1 was actually up for an award. The only one of the five seasons to be up for one. Maybe jas knows for sure . Im talking format here and not performance. Doris and mary tyler moore and carol burnett were competeing many years in a row for best actress in a comedy series , Im not sure about that,but thats what I remember (if I remember it acurately :? )
All of my blond moments aside, I do love all five seasons, what a great show. :wink:
suzie

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I read somewhere Doris was 'nominated' for either a golden globe or Emmy for the first season.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

Yes, Doris and the Doris Day Show got their only Golden Globe nomination for best tv star and best tv show for the first season.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

I like all the seasons for different reasons. Season 2 is my fav with 3 a close second. I liked season 1 a lot. 4 and 5 were good. I just missed the kids and the old office crew the last 2 years. Sort of like Mary Tyler Moore after Rhoda and Phyllis left.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I pretty much like them in the order of the seasons, but season 4, I feel was terrible! I always love Doris, so that's why I watched season 4. But, getting rid of her two boys was a sin! Doris Martin was a very devoted mother, then all of the sudden, no children! And the crazy story lines!
My first favorite...
Season one/Doris loses her husband, moves to the farm with her boys.
Season two/ Doris getting back on her feet, going back to work to support her boys.
Season three/Moves with her boys in an apartment in the city. Becomes even more independent.
Season five/ was better than season four, but still weird not having her sons. Couldn't get used to that.
But in season five,the stories were fun, and her clothes were beautiful!
Season four/ was my least favorite, as you know. They still called her Doris Martin. Since they changed the story line that much, they should have just have her be a totally different person, and not have her play Doris Martin anymore! Not widowed anymore,no kids,and had her be a hard nosed reporter.
Well, I got that off my chest! Lol!

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

I liked the early seasons the best. Even the much disliked # 1 was OK. Those early seasons plus the ones with Kaye Ballard & Rose Marie were much fun.
I was less impressed with the final 2 seasons. They were far too 'talky' - the script writers should have tightened up on some of the dialogue. I can see why Doris felt the series should end with the Fifth Season. Much ground was covered during the duration of the show.
Its a shame that the show is not seen on TV Land or any other venue. The economy is so bad that not all of us can afford to buy the DVD'S.

CalamityLisa

Unread post by CalamityLisa »

I bought it about one year ago from my pocket money and it was by far the best investment I've ever made!
It's worth every cent! My favourite seasons are the ones with the children. Maybe that's because I always wanted to be Doris Martin's daughter :)
Since I have it on DVD I spend every holiday watching the Show again, although I'm actually not the indoorsy type.
I think the seasons I love the most are season 2 and 3, because of Rose Marie and Billy DeWolfe.
Season 3 also includes one of my favourite episode "The Father-Son Weekend". When I'm sad, I imagine going on a camping trip with Doris, which really helps to cheer up. And in addition to the Christmas episodes this is the one that always makes me cry. I agree with season 4. I do not understand why they got rid of the boys and the old staff! But also season 4 is a notch above everything there is on TV nowadays! Lisa

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

I love the episodes with Doris & Duke. They are so funny together and at he even gets her to sing for a minute.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

TCMMovieFan

Unread post by TCMMovieFan »

Hands down for me it would have to be SEASON # 1 !
As the series progressed I became far less interested. The show became too talky and this constant striving to update the characters eventually left me rather cold. Season # 1 had its own special charm that was missing completely by Season # 5.
Towards the end it really was not very funny either. It was not a comedy by that stage---nor was it a downer. The writers did not provide the evolution of that series with much of an overview.
Also, the tinkering with the casts. They dropped her two sons and eventually got rid of Rose Marie & Kaye Ballard & Bernie Koppell. These were all highly amusing talents who were able to add a bit of spice to the proceedings. The CY character was too pompous---the Jackie Joseph role OK but too ditzy.
Also didn't CBS fidget around with the scheduling of this show ? From Monday Nights it went to someother night and time.
I do think the show was exhausted after Season 5.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy »

Posting this on here,so Dorissy,but don't know from which season this is.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

TCMMovieFan wrote:Hands down for me it would have to be SEASON # 1 !
As the series progressed I became far less interested. The show became too talky and this constant striving to update the characters eventually left me rather cold. Season # 1 had its own special charm that was missing completely by Season # 5.
Towards the end it really was not very funny either. It was not a comedy by that stage---nor was it a downer. The writers did not provide the evolution of that series with much of an overview.
Also, the tinkering with the casts. They dropped her two sons and eventually got rid of Rose Marie & Kaye Ballard & Bernie Koppell. These were all highly amusing talents who were able to add a bit of spice to the proceedings. The CY character was too pompous---the Jackie Joseph role OK but too ditzy.
Also didn't CBS fidget around with the scheduling of this show ? From Monday Nights it went to someother night and time.
I do think the show was exhausted after Season 5.

I liked 1, 2, and 3. The clothes and setting was better in 2 and 3, but I think it changed too radically in season 4. Cy was okay. The Jackie character really irritated me. The writers could have snapped it up for the last 2 seasons. Season 4 was okay. I thought season 5 was better. The co-op episode was maybe the best of that season.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Season 1 = had a reality unlike the others and Doris looked fab with the interaction with the boys magnificent;

Season 2- a really good mix of the reality of the farm/ boys and the city;

Season 3- my favourite- a groovy day! Some really good stories;

Season 4- didn't like so much- CY and Jakie = no comparison to Myrn; Mr Nicholson and Ron Harvey (and the boys);

Season 5- haven't see yet!

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Dorine,
That picture you post is from season one when Doris took over a gas station because the owner's wife was giving birth to twins. It turned out the gas station had many, many customers and was very hard for her to handle all that. They even got robbed!! But our tough little Doris caught the bad guy and the police got him.
This was a really fun show! Thanks for posting the picture! :D
Oh, and the cute guy in the picture was the bad guy!!! That's why Doris is pointing her finger at him yelling!

paul
Special Contributer

Unread post by paul »

Hello -

Actually that episode was from Season 2 because Rose Marie was not on the series during the first season.

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

I really loved Kaye Ballard as Doris's side kick . Loved Jackie J too, but I think Kaye brought her own sense of humor to the show. Who is you're favorite ?

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Paul, you are so right! :D

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

littlepinetree wrote:Paul, you are so right! :D
I LOVE THEM ALL