The Doris Day Show Season Two

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
cranhill
Special Contributer

Doris Day Show season 2

Unread post by cranhill » 28 Oct 2005, 07:02

Hi,

I received my Season 2 set (R1) today (28th Oct ) here in the UK, great price as well only £17.99 GBP, inc. The R2 version will be an extra £6.00 ($10.00) when it comes out.

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Fabulous

Unread post by ray » 28 Oct 2005, 13:21

You are right Ralph, Doris did look fabulous in season Two! She was fit as a fiddle and during this period on and off the TV screen her looks developed into real beauty. Billy De Wolfe said on the Merv Griffin show that she looked the best while Doris was a guest in 1973 on his show with Jackis Susann and Doris replied, " I would Hope so", modestly. Age seemed to become Doris, she was in her late forties and still sparkeld! Hope everyone is voteing for the Doris Day Show for a TV-DVD award!

Ken C

Unread post by Ken C » 28 Oct 2005, 14:13

Received mine today and will watch part of it tonight!!!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Happy Viewing!

Unread post by ray » 28 Oct 2005, 14:35

Happy viewing Ken, you are going to love it! let us know what you think of the bonus extras.

bettty

Bloopers

Unread post by bettty » 29 Oct 2005, 08:42

I thought it was a scream when Doris's blouse opened up while doing a scene in the bloopers for season two.

semone

Unread post by semone » 29 Oct 2005, 12:53

Hello there,

Got my Doris dvd's yesterday, just flicked through and looked at some of the bloopers, GREAT, I just can't wait to sit down and watch. The thing is, when you start watching you just don't want to turn it off, am I right?

Take care,
Susan

ray
I danced with Doris!

Guests on The Doris Day Show

Unread post by ray » 29 Oct 2005, 19:34

Another guest Ralph, that Doris appeared with on The TV show was Lew Ayers, who played William Tyler the Millionarie. Wasn't he married to Ginger Rogers at one time? He was in the movies in the forties.

Ken mentioned he enjoyed Van Johnson and John Gavin when they appeared on season three.

The Model episode has, Pillow Talk, with one of the instrumental music in the background. And Katie did you get your set yet? Hope so, so you can enjoy these show once again! Doris was so ultra classy in the modeling in which she looked like a proffesinal model. In a way she was, with all her chic looks in her movies. At the 1987 DD convention Doris said that clothes are associated with her, and she is so right!

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken » 29 Oct 2005, 20:32

I watched all the bonus material and enjoyed it very much--The bloopers are great! Hope you all enjoy the bonus material.

bettty

Kaye Ballard

Unread post by bettty » 29 Oct 2005, 20:46

And we can't forget Kaye Ballard who played the gangsters wife wh kinapped Doris in season 2. Can't remember the man's name who played the gangster but he was on many TV shows. Kaye would return with Bernie Kopell in season three as Doris' landlords, And Bryan are you on Holiday? Miss you not being on the forum.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Meeting Doris!

Unread post by ray » 29 Oct 2005, 21:17

I never dreamed I would meet Doris fourteen years after The Doris Day Show left the air. And Doris still looked as lovely and beautiful then in that 1987 afternoon in Carmel, as if she just walked off the set of The Doris Day Show.

That was at the DD convention I was asked to go too bye Michael Doyle who saw a picture of myself and My Doris Day collection in Hollywood Studio magazine, Back then in that magazine you put your name and address and thats how Michael contacted me to go. He was the president of the DD collectors. My avater picture is from that special Day!

Joanie

Long Hair

Unread post by Joanie » 29 Oct 2005, 21:43

Doris was ahead of her time wearing definitley long hair in her forties and fifties, which she looked superb. So many older woman are doing that today.

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 30 Oct 2005, 17:25

I FINALLY recieved my DVDs yesterday!!!!!.....

Along with some mail from D. Day!!!!!

She sent me back two things that I had asked her to please sign, and she wrote D. Day in the return address...I thought that was kind of funny!

Isn't it funny how things happen? I waited so long to get the DD shows Season 2 (it seemed like EVERYONE on here got it before me!) and when I did get it, I got something else great in the mail!

Simply put, yesterday was a wonderful DAY!!!!!

:lol:

And by the way, the episodes are wonderful, and I LOVE the special features!
- Katie

Disappointed, So Far...

Unread post by Guest » 30 Oct 2005, 20:33

Sorry, folks. I watched the first DVD in the set and was put off by the "massive wigs" and Doris doing the "cutesy-poo," which got her into so much trouble with Day-haters.

I also think that her acting in the first season was very natural and quite wonderful. Here, in the second season, she is giving us "Do Not Disturb" and "Move Over Darling."!!!!!!!!!! I'm praying that the rest of this is not like the first DVD in this set. TOO MUCH BIG HAIR!!!!!!! :cry:

Ralph

Vinton F

Disagree

Unread post by Vinton F » 30 Oct 2005, 20:54

Doris looks gorgeous with all that hair and years younger with that long fall. She spiced up and her acting is fun and camp. This is what cult classics are made of.

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 » 30 Oct 2005, 21:08

My set has finally shipped. Hoping to enjoy this season as much as the first.

Tom

Hair

Unread post by Tom » 30 Oct 2005, 22:47

Wait till you see her hair in season three. Piled on top of her head in a bubble knot.Doris must have tried to start a trend with that Do. It does look futuristic! Kinda far out and wild and cool.

Jamie

Hats Off!

Unread post by Jamie » 31 Oct 2005, 00:47

I dig Doris playing hop stocth and almost loseing her hat on the streets of San Fransisco. She did the hat thing a ar before Mary Tyler Moore came on the scene. Halloween everyday! Love it!

bettty

Hit Show

Unread post by bettty » 31 Oct 2005, 02:48

CBS woud not have signed Doris to an iron clad contract if they did not think she would deliver a hit show, and deliver she did with her bouncey charm and fluffy wigs and made the Doris Day Show a top ten hit this second season. Many movie goers love Move Over Darling and Do Not Distrurb as I did and Doris showed real acting talent just showing up on the set despite some very hard knocks during this season, as the Manson Muders and her being accussed of having an affair with her tv producer loomed over her head. Like it or not this is the season that made the show a hit!

Jas1
Honorary Member

future day

Unread post by Jas1 » 31 Oct 2005, 09:34

I have not seen season 2 yet but from what I have seen of season 3 - on video - Doris is very natural. She is certianly so in season one = I think that hit me the most - oh and her wonderful hair in season one - that is how I think Mrs Robinson would have looked if Doris had played the role - only sexed up a bit!

In season one "The fly boy" - Ray have you noticed when she enters in that amazing chocolate dress that all the background music is associated with her? A track from "What every girl should know", a track from "Latin for Lovers" and even "Hold me in your arms" - from Young at Heart.

I know i should be in season one but i have to say that the naturalness of Doris' acting in that first season leads me to regret even more that a really top notch dramatic part on the big screen did not come her way (or should I say, that she had agreed to do one)! One thing for sure, at the Golden Globes it was true to say "the best is yet to come" - there was alot more to give and I didn't really think about that until i watched some of the season one shows.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Music

Unread post by ray » 31 Oct 2005, 11:55

Jas, Ken noticed the music on the DVD season two for epiosode selection has music from Doris's albums playing, very nice and soothing,

Hair was IN at that time and I wouldn't mind seeing Doris bald!LOL As long as she is on screen!! Seriously Doris was doing her own thing and many people in 1969 enjoyed her contributions which shot the show to number ten after being near thirty in season one.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Second Season Hair and Smiling!!!!

Unread post by Ralph » 31 Oct 2005, 20:51

Actually, the '70s was the era of "big hair." I don't think that Doris looked "natural" with all that long hair. She's not a "long haired woman!"

Doris Day's acting changed in the second season (judging on what I've seen in the first DVD of the set). In the first season, she was so wonderful! Here, in season two, she's "trying to be funny." The exact thing she wanted to avoid. She's giving you the worst of her performance in "Pillow Talk": the rolling eyes, etc.

There is a little too much smiling on Day's part here. She's always better when she's just herself (natural) and not trying to "please everyone." Her wide grins seemed to make some actors uncomfortable. For instance, Cary Grant (throughout "Touch...MInk" and Jimmy Stewart (the bus scene in "Man...Much".)

Facially and bodily, she looks incredible in the second season, but all that hair went overboard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she cools it with the "head gear" in the next three DVDs!

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 » 31 Oct 2005, 22:11

Has anyone noticed if the Season Two episodes are original full length versions, or edited like Season One?

Tammy

Smile

Unread post by Tammy » 01 Nov 2005, 02:29

Doris' smile his her trademark, its not about pleaseing. I like the second season better than the first and I am entitled to that.
Never posted before but felt the need to.

Jas1
Honorary Member

natural?

Unread post by Jas1 » 01 Nov 2005, 08:36

I think too I will like the second season (and on) more than the first. I have enjoyed the shows (what little I have seen) from season one but more for the fact it is Doris, the fact she looks fab, fab hair, and wonderful clothes etc than from the fact of the scripts or situations! The preview of Season 2 with Rose Marie looks great - I cannot wait to see it all.

I do not agree Doris was not a long haired person - in fact I would say most of her life she has worn long hair (longish bobs and so on). She looked fab (to me) in the 1940's with long hair, and again as Calamity, and again in Midnight Lace, Thrill of it All and Touch of Mink - and into the 1970's and even the longish bob she has worn much of the 1980's - 1990's. I adore her short hair the most around the Teacher's Pet period and how she had it cut circa 1987-88.

Betty

Liked long hair and first season

Unread post by Betty » 01 Nov 2005, 12:09

Ralph I respect you opinions but I lke Doris with long hair and the Tv shows form season two. Its a choice! Thank God we are all not the same.