A discussion about the show

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
Jas1
Honorary Member

'SEASONS' GREETINGS

Unread post by Jas1 »

I do not agree the changes in seasons 1-3 were excessive. Moreover, I agree with an article I once read that the changes (in the first 3 years) rather than being strange in fact were more reflective of real life than the average sit com where nothing changes. To me it is perfectly natural Doris wants to get a job as the boys get a bit older - hence season 2 with her commuting to the city. I fully understand the drag of commuting so it is natural Doris then moved to the city. Even here (season 3) Buck makes the odd appearance as does LeeRoy B. The changes season 4 onwards are pehaps more contentious and / or confusing - but hey, provided it is Day, I can 'SAY' - FINE!

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Doris Day Show

Unread post by ray »

I came across this discussion about the Doris Day Show while surfing the web for the fourth season debut on DVD. You all know i would watch Doris read the yellow pages and enjoy it!LOL! Her two TV Specials showcased her personality and singing and were top notch, but the TV series at times was painfull and bizarre with the changes each season, especially the fourth season like a Twilight Zone episode with the kids and everyone else missing!
But watching the shows today are high camp and somehow Doris pulled it off for five years! Her talent alone and drop dead naturalness saved the day! Shows what a trooper she is with such dreadful material thrusted upon her. Every chance she got to model she did and a lady not much older than her calls her a girl in one episode along with Denver Pyle who played her father and not that much older than she at the time.
Doris made it all work and I am sure she detested the scripts as much as she didn't like Caprice! Again its fun to look back and just enjoy the ride on Doris's coatsleeves.

ray
I danced with Doris!

TV Series

Unread post by ray »

Remeber Doris had huge bills at the time and the show went on no matter what the format. No one else could have pulled this off with a major TV network, Doris's smile wiped away all the floors!

ray
I danced with Doris!

More thoughts on the Doris Day show...

Unread post by ray »

Regarding the age issue, Doris defied what woman were supposed to look like in their forties and fifties. This was the early seventies and Doris was not going to look like her grandparents before her. To her credit she wore long hair and up to the minute outfits She was ahead of her time again as she was many ways in her career. When the Best Friends cable show was broadcast many years after the first TV series, Doris looked better than ever! So she is an ageless beauty with her Young At Heart spirit!

nelson

Unread post by nelson »

It's been years since I've seen the shows. I'm sure I missed some when they were first run and the few reruns in syndication were never at a time when I could watch consistently.

However, the format changes really don't bother me. Life goes on, kids grow up, go away to school. People retire, sell the farm and play golf in AZ or FL.

Thanks to inflation, D was not the only 'mom' who had to get a job to help families make ends meet, especially widows so the second and third seasons showing her earning a paycheck make sense for the time period. Regardless of any other issues, money was tight for most families, especially so for small family farms so getting a job and building a career to support the boys and the farm makes sense.

Remember back in that time the season previews that ran in the summer often explained in voice overs changes being made to popular series. At the end of DVD 2, there's a quick preview of Doris and Rose Marie discovering the new apartment Doris was going to have the next year. Or is it the last episode of season 2. Those bits of explanation for changes in seasons 4 and 5 might still show up in later DVD's or might not.

I seem to recall something about the boys going away to school/being away at school which explained their absence coming along somewhere in the later epsodes. Don't recall if Buck's absence was ever discussed--probably not as the most likely explanation would have been a downer.

The character and formal changes just don't qualify as jumping the shark for me at all. D came from the movies where each new picture had some old friends and some new cast, so just like in the real magazine world where people move on to other jobs, each season some old faces moved on and some new ones were introduced. Not a big deal.

The Day/Stevenson relationship was an odd pairing but it was somewhat true to life. Doris's character was way more intelligent and more talented than his which was, unfortunately, a fact of life for many women in the business world in that era.

Long running, popular shows back in the 50's and 60's especially often made cast changes without explanation.

Bewitched--Two Darins, Two Glady's Kravitz's due to illness.

Donna Reed Show--suddenly when Shelly Fabares left to move on with her career, Paul Peterson's little sister was written into the show as a neighborhood child that ended up getting adopted by the Stones.

How many sons were on My Three Sons--Tim Considine leaves around 1963 and Ernie suddenly joins the family at the age of 8, then around 1970 Robbie gets married and leaves the show with only Chip and Ernie as the sons, so Robbie's wife presents them with triplet boys and Dad Steve gets married to a lady with a daughter that's just enough younger than Ernie to keep the older teen, younger teen, pre teen format of the kids just as it had been since 1960. Not to mention that when Bill Frawley passed away Bub the boy's grandfather was magically replaced by Bill Demarest as Uncle Charlie who was never even mentioned in the earlier episodes. I seem to recall somewhere that MacMurray's scenes were cut in later and so many of the other characters were acting with a chair or other stand in when he was in the scene. Watch the show sometime and you'll notice that there are a lot of kid shots and a lot of dad shots but not too many two shots where dad and someone else share the scene.

Scripts--like all series, some were better than others. Most were good. I actually like season 1 as the more relaxed wardrobe just makes Doris look more natural and more timeless. Doris and her painted on Wranglers anticipated the Jordache jeans craze by about a decade and looked better than most of the J models.

The early 70's was the age when All in the Family, Maude and other Lear shows were pushing the envelop about many issues, sometimes in a very loud and strident way. As such, Emmy and others overlooked the more subtle approach that Day and others used to push some of the same issues.

And, not to forget that the whole lawsuit business may have caused problems with various power brokers in the industry that may still attempt to block any formal recognition by the Hollywood Establishment of Doris's talents.

She was one of the first to leave the studio system and arguably the biggest and most successful of those early independent actors. She was not the first actor or actress to be swindled out of her earnings by creative management types but she was, I believe, the first to not only fight back, but fight hard, fight publically and WIN not only the original settlement but also the appeal which I think drug on for an additional decade.

The milk episode in season 1 did an excellent job handling integration issues in a way that just seemed the right thing to do. Sometimes subtlety and logic is more effective than ranting to make a point.

And on that note, I'm going to bed.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Day ahead!

Unread post by Jas1 »

Well noted Nelson.

I partly agree re- the clothes in season one were more timeless - being casual etc and 'no one' looks better in trousers/ pants than Doris Day!

However, I love the other clothes in her series, so kooky sometimes but wonderful - many have made a come back - especially from season 3 onwards.

Yes, Ray, Doris was ahead of her time in that being in her forties (approaching fifty) she did not roll over in the fashion / hair stakes as most women at the time did (and alot of actresses) - look at Ava Gardner, Lana, even Liz (weight etc) around this time and there she is, Miss Day looking like their daughter - long (or shorter) hair, hip clothes and a young at heart disposition that was marvellous.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Today look

Unread post by ray »

Doris with her clothes and hair styles from her TV series has very much a Today Look! :wink:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Doris' clothes

Unread post by Jas1 »

Ray - from the "Its X-Mas time in the city" - from season 3 - Doris with the soft hat, long hair, midi [or is it maxi] coat? She looks sensational and at least 12 years younger than her true age. Also, love her in 'pig tails' with Duke - in that grey sweater, that figure, she looks superb!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Best Friends Series

Unread post by ray »

The two DD Specials and Doris Day's Best friends series made up for what The Doris Day Show lacked in quality and content.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Briefly

Unread post by Jas1 »

Got the season 4 - and will write more later about it.

Anything 'new' with Doris is a real treat and she looks great. I still think however I prefer season 3 - but too early to say.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Season Four!

Unread post by ray »

Jas so glad you got season four, I know you will like it, and after a few episodes you will get into the changes. With Doris a bright, witty, single lady!! Report back!! The Santa-who-did-it is funny with Charles Nelson Reily! Sort of a mini Murder She Wrote!

Jas1
Honorary Member

The 4th Season

Unread post by Jas1 »

Funny, Ray, I thought that too about the Santa episode [one of the few I watched]. Very similar to a "Murder she wrote" - why did Doris not do it!!!

The end of that show is funny with Doris and her boss [Cy] wathcing tv and the ending from the previous seasons Xmas show is shown with Doris in that wonderful outfit speaking out of character wishing viewers a wonder Xmas etc - Doris [Martin] says "oh, its Doris Day" and Cy says something along the lines of "Isn't she an ice skater" - the TV then blows up and Doris [Martin] says "she's hot stuff"!

The Animal show with Doris and Billy De Wolfe as guests, reminded me too of the formal of 'Doris Day's Best Friends' show. Doris looks nice in a cap and tight fitting trouser [pant] suit tucked into red patent boots.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I really enjoyed the chemistry between Doris and Peter Lawford during season 4. They looked as if they really cared about each other.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Kristie Alley

Unread post by ray »

Kristie Alley who posed in a bikini on Oprah to show her wieght loss said that she is the only woman on TV to wear a bikini in her fifties . Not so, Doris did it on the last fashion show on her TV series and she looked fantastic :wink: Doris was near 50 at that time.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Season 4 and other bits.

Unread post by Jas1 »

The Photo proves [although not required] what a marvellous figure Doris Day had into her forties, fifties, sixties and beyond [she is still in fantastic shape during the Best Friends Show].

Back to Season 4 = As I said, I am enjoying it very much but not as much as season 3. I just like Doris Martin with the kids and Nelson and adore Myrna as her office pal. Not that I have any aversion to Cy or Jackie or the promotion for Doris; or the increase in her romantic adventures that season 4 and beyond brought, oh and the wonderul [mostly] fashions, especially some of those long evening (yet casual looking) dresses she wore in season 3 and those 2 magnificent red ones she wore, one in the fashion show episode and the other on her balcony with Carlos ..... [the famous artist].

ray
I danced with Doris!

TV Series

Unread post by ray »

It's wonderful we can enjoy Doris's TV Series all over again with the release of the DVD's. Doris seems to be enjoying it herself according to Pierre Patrick's book, which was a labor of Love I am sure for him.

miss maxwell
Honorary Member

Unread post by miss maxwell »

During the past three-four months I eventually had the chance to watch several episodes of The Doris Day Show [which I hope to finally get on DVD someday]. When I watched the first episode [it was one from the 1st season] I found it really boring and knowing that the show lasted 5 seasons I was terrified at the thought that all of them were gonna be of the same concept: the farm?! That didn't work for me at ALL. I was glad to see the gradual changes taking place as the show went on. The job, the apartment, the moving – I’m now on season 4 and the kids and Buck seem to not exist at all :?: I guess they overdid it with the changes. :lol:

I haven’t watched the episodes in chronological order so the characters/seasons are a bit mixed in my head. Most of the characters that have appeared – or disappeared LOL – on the show are very likeable - with a very few exceptions [eg Leroy, sorry, I already mentioned how bored I was by season 1 and he just made it worse]. Buck was sweet and the boys... too beautiful! I was deeply sad to hear that Toby was killed at a car(?) accident. He was only 22... :cry: I'm on (the beginning of) season 4 at the moment and although Cy is funny at times, I miss (and much prefer) Mr Nicholson (so very cute). Also Myrna… I loved Myrna and Doris’s scenes together – always a riot. Mr Harvey, Angie... all great fun and they fit in so well.

Watching the show today, for the very first time, it looks undoubtedly dated – I mean in content. Simple, naïve, innocent – did I mention naïve? But in a way that makes it fan for me to watch. Among the many contemporary tv series (several of which I’m a big fan), this is a groovy* revival of those times [when an attractive 40 year old single woman could be the secretary of an attractive 40 year old bachelor but the slightest attraction - the most unnatural thing in the world :lol: - to one another wouldn't even implied]. And since I have this thing for the 70’s… Well… just take a look at Doris’s wardrobe!

Now, there are a few episodes that I particularly liked so far –
Image -
when Doris is working for Mr Tyler and they’ve been travelling non stop and Toby is missing while she’s in (what do you know?!) Greece [by the way, the ‘greek’ sets and music and customs had me laughing -- oh and had Doris indeed drunk a whole shot glass of ouzo straight down, there’d be a LOT more of eye popping). Some fine acting in that scene by DD. *thumbs up*
Image -
the one where Doris, Myrna and Mr Harvey become dancing instructors. LOL
Image -
the Christmas episode. (I love the long hair)

And quite many more… each episode has its moments actually. I’ve still a long way till I see all the seasons so till later…
:D

*They must have used that word 84576 times in the show.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Miss Maxwell - I agree, Myrna [especially] and Mr Nicholson and Mr Harvey are sadly missed come season 4 - as are the boys and the odd appearance by Buck. I liked Cy and Jackie,but they do not compare with the earlier crew [for me]. For me, season 3 stood out [although season 2 was great too]. I adored 'skying anyone' - with John Gavin in season 3 and the X-mas episode, and the one where Doris Martin goes to Hollywood [having won a Doris Day lookalike competition].

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

Jas1 wrote:Miss Maxwell - I agree, Myrna [especially] and Mr Nicholson and Mr Harvey are sadly missed come season 4 - as are the boys and the odd appearance by Buck. I liked Cy and Jackie,but they do not compare with the earlier crew [for me]. For me, season 3 stood out [although season 2 was great too]. I adored 'skying anyone' - with John Gavin in season 3 and the X-mas episode, and the one where Doris Martin goes to Hollywood [having won a Doris Day lookalike competition].
When the show was first televised, I was a kid, about Billy Martin's age. It always bothered me that the kids just suddenly disappeared from the show, without so much as an explanation. I understand why the decision was made to stick with the more "adult" story lines, but I think they could have transitioned with a much more logical, and hopefully explanable, reason for Billy and Toby to vanish. Also, I liked the camaraderie between Mr Nicholson, Mr Harvey, Doris and Myrna. Had that group been allowed to remain on the show, a real "family" atmosphere could have been created, much like the Mary Tyler Moore cast had later on. The character of Jackie always seemed silly to me, and Cy was just over the top, most of the time. He provided someone for Doris to argue with, which was often funny, but still a little unbelievable. As for the show being outdated and naive, I think that adds to the charm of the show now. Back then, it was right on target; Doris' clothes matched what my sister and her college friend were wearing, right down to the fake long hair!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I liked Myrna over Jackie. Although I LOVE Jackie Joseph, I feel they gave her a really silly character. However, I adore John Dehner as Cy. A truly great satirical performance. Mr. Nicholson was nice, but Cy was a much better foil for Doris.

As for the kids, I loved Pop and the kids when they were there, but I loved Doris Martin single as well. I always viewed it as a different Doris Martin in the last 2 seasons. I never thought the kids were away; they weren't even referred to. And the Paluccis were never referred to again either. In the 5th Season episode, "The Co-Op," they talk about some old man who had owned the building for years, as if the Paluccis had never even existed! :lol:

What surprised me was how much of an improvement there was between Season 4 and Season 5. I thought S4 was the worst of the series, and S5 the best. Suddenly the writing was more adult and real. Watching S5 made me wish there was at least another season left to watch again...
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

ray
I danced with Doris!

Season Five

Unread post by ray »

You are right John about season five. Many adult themed thoughtful episodes and with quality. The Press Secretary was one where Doris Martin battled with herself about an involement with a married man, Doris came across a strong willed woman who portrayed another side of such a relationship. Our Doris was a today woman with real situations we all face.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Re: A discussion about the show

Unread post by Doris Martin »

hello every body....yes I like the Doris Day show.....why not ???? to me she plays herself many times over....I know what she had to go through making it , but she did a perfect job....as usual,,, every night before I go to bed watch an episoe....sweet dreams come to me..marti

CokieCola

Re: Doris' clothes

Unread post by CokieCola »

Jas1 wrote:Ray - from the "Its X-Mas time in the city" - from season 3 - Doris with the soft hat, long hair, midi [or is it maxi] coat? She looks sensational and at least 12 years younger than her true age. Also, love her in 'pig tails' with Duke - in that grey sweater, that figure, she looks superb!
"Its Xmas Time in the City" is one of my very favorite episodes. Doris looks spectacular and the sentiments are very real for the season of the year. We've all heard Philip Brown on the DVD's talk about how much he loved Doris. There's a shot of her singing, and Philip is looking up and watching her sing...you can see that he was completely enthralled. It's just a really sweet episode.

webmaster

Re: A discussion about the show

Unread post by webmaster »

Somebody gave me the Doris Day Show, Season 1, as a birthday present a couple of years ago and I must admit I found it a bit bland compared to her films and it put me off wanting to see any more - but I'm encouraged by what you say Miss M.

But I also think the Doris Day Show is very 'American' - it does sentimentality in a big way - I don't think we do that over hear, we like to understate things. And if I can be slightly controversial, it didn't look like they had spent much money on the sets from what I could see. But I know there are still Doris treats to be sampled, as I discovered with hearing "Very Good Advice" for the first time recently, so if anyone could reccommend something that a cynical European could enjoy....
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Re: 'SEASONS' GREETINGS

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

Jas1 wrote:I do not agree the changes in seasons 1-3 were excessive. Moreover, I agree with an article I once read that the changes (in the first 3 years) rather than being strange in fact were more reflective of real life than the average sit com where nothing changes. To me it is perfectly natural Doris wants to get a job as the boys get a bit older - hence season 2 with her commuting to the city. I fully understand the drag of commuting so it is natural Doris then moved to the city. Even here (season 3) Buck makes the odd appearance as does LeeRoy B. The changes season 4 onwards are pehaps more contentious and / or confusing - but hey, provided it is Day, I can 'SAY' - FINE!

I agree with you 100% about seasons 1-3.