A discussion about the show

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Re: A discussion about the show

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

I was so thrilled when this show came out on DVD. I've enjoed all the seasons, but 2 and 3 I think are my favorites. Loved the Man Hater, Chocolate Bar War, Doris Strikes Out and Doris Gets a Job. Season 3, Tony Bennett is Eating Here, Doris the Spy and the Feminist.

I liked her hair best in season 1 and 2 (provided it was in the bob style instead of those long falls)

Such a cute show and what an apartment. I think the best in television history. And her clothes were awesome. Where did she find those great true yellows? Its impossible to find good yellow dresses and blouses these days. I know, because I've been trying to get my girlfriend one and they don't exist!

This show easily beat out many others in the style department.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Now I agree with you Jake!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

The doris day show,was indeed a typical american show,bryan was right.Our television studios turn out shows just like our movie studios cranked out movies like an assembly line. Some are great and some are soso.I did enjoy doris' show.I love her so much it was always doris I wanted to see,not really "the story of the week." Yes donna marty did sign doris up to do the series,and she did it, but thank God he did because the show helped save doris' financial life.
Im not sure if it was rose marie or kaye ballard who said "that show could have been about anybody ".It was in my own opion cotton candy, it tasted good and was sweet, but very lite, not too heavy,just the right amount of interest, but mostly I watched it because our girl was in it. :wink:
suzie

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I would loved to have her still acting today. Lets face it doris is one of a kind and so great.Your right Donna it would be , wonderful to see her in some gritty roles.Lord knows she could pull it off too.Doris is the tops in her field .As much as I would love to see her working in show biz today, (selfishly), Im so glad that she has the time and ability and money to do what she really loves best, and that is her work with the animals.(speaking of critters my doggie Honey is sitting here next to me,shaking like a leaf due to left over fireworks people are letting off, poor baby ) :shock:
suzie

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

I have done a bit of editing on this topic. Please do not post photos on here, that have no relevance to the Doris Day show. I have also removed some discussions that bare no relevance to the show. Please restrict your comments to the Doris Day Show, this is not the place to discuss Doris' personal life.
Many thanks
Sheila

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD »

I'm enjoying watching Season 3 this weekend, but I have a question. I was out of the country during the time the show originally aired. What there really a dance 'the funky chicken'? or was it something they just dreamed up for the show.
Watching Doris and Billy De Wolf do it really cracks me up.
Barb

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Ah yes, Barb, there really was a "Funky Chicken."
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Doris Martin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Doris Martin »

To me, the Doris Day Show was a proof of what Doris is : a wonderful person, capable of standing up to so many sad moments in her life, and being a true profesional , every time I watch an episode, specially the first series , I marwell what a true actress she is. Marti.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

marti wrote:To me, the Doris Day Show was a proof of what Doris is : a wonderful person, capable of standing up to so many sad moments in her life, and being a true profesional , every time I watch an episode, specially the first series , I marwell what a true actress she is. Marti.

Yes indeed. And given the garbage she was going through at the time (with her husband dying and having discovered that her money was gone), I find it amazing that she was able to work that first year.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

How very true, doris is such a great actress that you would have never known she was going through anything.Doris Martin never let on that Doris Day was greiving for her husband and all that follwed. MS DAY is in my opinion the very best actress that ever lived.... :D
suzie

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

I've been watching season 4 this weekend, and I have another question. In season 3 and in season 4 I heard to comment, "Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?" What is this referring to?
Barb

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

I will like to know too. Marti

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

It's an old saying and can be an old joke: "Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb? Not if it's in cans."

I did find this exchange online on one of it's usages:
Q: Is the old saying "do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?" just small talk or does it have some other meaning. Everyone seems to have heard it, but no one seems to really know what it means. Some even know the answer: "Not if it's in cans".

A: Its "other meaning" depends on the situation. As a stock phrase, it can be used to signify a deliberate turning to an innocuous topic of conversation (the weather) --- for instance when one doesn't wish to comment on a small social outrage or idiotism deemed to be apparent to anyone of sense. Instead of saying "I won't dignify that with a reply," one simply doesn't reply, but resorts openly to bland neutrality. It may be clssified as a sort of dry wit.
Hope that helps...
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Thanks John. I figured if anybody would know, you would.
Barb

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Wow how interesting, I have never heard of that expression before...must remember that one, thanks Barb and John for the education :D

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

"Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?
I love the forum and I like this expression! Maybe we should use this when topics get sticky. It will help keep a smile on Bryan's face.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Here's a video sure to make you smile! I am pretty sure this was the episode that Doris loved too! :D
http://www.guba.com/watch/2000908134
(DORIS STRIKES OUT)
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

I've watched this episode many times, and this time sitting at the computer I just noticed something. It may be kind of silly, but I just felt a connection. In the scene where Doris is in the office and aw struck by Claude, she empties the unused ashtray. It is green glass with ridges. I just realized that I had one just like it that I sued for a water dish for my small animals for years.
Barb

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

Yes, that was one of her good episodes, but all of them I love. All you have to do is put one of her DVD of her show and you really can't stop watching them. I have several favorites.. I can tel you there has been many a weekend where I did nothing but watch her on TV and laugh. They certainly don't make them like that anymore.
Carol

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Loved it Daybyday, thank you so much for posting it. I watched the first bit then ran out of time...it's good to know that,when I have a few minutes to spare I can go back and watch it whenever I want to. :D

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Barb_DDD wrote: It may be kind of silly, but I just felt a connection. Barb
I know just what you mean when ever I watch The Doris Day Show and I see her wearing the outfit that she wore in this episode http://www.guba.com/watch/2000908254]the red one with the knee high socks) or something similar to it ,I always think of my school uniform because it looks almost exactly like it just in different colors.
I agree with you Sheila & Carol it is deffinetly a fun show to watch when you have some free time! One of my FAVORITE episodes from the show is How Can I Ignore the Man Next Door that's for sure a funny one to watch when your not busy. :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

Yes, that was a very good one.
Well now I can watch her shows anytime I want since I just retired. I can stay up late and just have a good ole time.
Never get tired of her.
Carol

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

I have been watching season four most of this week, and I have come to notice a very beautiful gold medallion necklace that she wears in most of the episodes. Can anyone tell what it represents or what kind of medallion it might be?
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree with you Laurie, but sorry, can't help with your query.

I love her look in season 4 when she wears the bob [is it a wig?] - and some of the wonderful evening dresses, such as the magnificent red one when she is on her patio with Carlos; she looks amazing in that scene!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

My favorite cousin got me the season 1 ,of TDDS for a birthday gift. I never really paid much attention to the first season, but what a huge mistake that was,as I found I just loved it. The little boys were so cute . My mom and dad watched it with me and they just loved it. :D
suzie