A discussion about the show

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: A discussion about the show

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I just got season 4 from a friend, thank you friend!

So far my favorite episode is the one when Angie and Doris go to the health spa..
And then he yelled at me... I, I can't say it..
Oh, is it dirty??? Say it in Italian!
Oh no, it sounds even worse.. He said, HEY FATSO! Where's the oregenooo

hahaha I also like the part when Doris finds all the food and Angie says..
The devil made me do it!!!

I'm really getting a kick out of this show!
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

Babe,
I'm so glad you are getting to watch DD tv show. I love them so much. I have wAtched them over and over and never get tired of them. Well, no one can get tired of Doris.
Carol :)

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

I also liked that time passing thing Doris said..
Think the rain will hurt the rhubarb???
I'm going to start saying that..lol
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

Did anyone notice that when her and Peter Lawford are playing a scene together, that they use that heavy glazed effect on Doris, it hurts my eyes to look at her. I looked up Peter Lawford's age and he was 45 at the time of filming the DD show. So he was 3 years older then Doris; however, he looked old compared to Doris. Must have been all of those years of hard living with the Rat Pack. Guess my point is why? She is such a beautiful and ageless woman, why did they use such effects on her?
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

Doris always looked so pulled together in her movies and tv shows. I love the second season and Doris Gets A Job. She looks great in that read cape, scarf...and she is the only one who can pull off knee socks. Wish more women would wear them, but then again, they don't have Doris's legs. The Man Hater I loved. Esp. the scene in the restaurant. Doris Strikes Out was great too. So funny. "Can Ya see it NOW!", after dusting off home plate. Great. Also the Christmas episodes were lovely. both in seasons 2 and 3. She had more energy in this season. It probably was because she was in control and taking it in the direction she wanted.

Season one, I know was lambasted, but there are some really cute episodes. The Black Eye, the Uniform, Fly Boy where she wears that brown sequinned dress, the Five Dollar Bill, The Job, the baby sitter. Those were so sweet and funny.

Season 3 was wonderfull. I really enjoyed all of them, but I think my favorites were the Tony Bennet episode, the one where Doris trys to help Angie and Louie boost business, and when Duke gets engaged to the gold digger. How about that scene in Doris Leaves Today's World when she learns Toby is missing? That was so powerful. It felt as if she was not acting at all! It was so heartfelt I started crying. Maybe I got carried away, but it was so effective that it moved me.

Seaon 4. Well I thought the clothes and hair were great, but some of the episodes I didn't care for and I missed the kids, Myrna, Mr. Harvey and Mr. Nicholson. Loved the computer dating episode. Doris and the Doctor. Gowns by Louie. Charity Begins at the Office and Jarvis for City Council.

Season 5. I did not care for the clothes that much. No one looks good in the granny dress look, but the scripts for this season were much better than season 4.

Its such a great show. I like all the seasons, but 2 and 3 for me were tops.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Laurie wrote:Did anyone notice that when her and Peter Lawford are playing a scene together, that they use that heavy glazed effect on Doris, it hurts my eyes to look at her. I looked up Peter Lawford's age and he was 45 at the time of filming the DD show. So he was 3 years older then Doris; however, he looked old compared to Doris. Must have been all of those years of hard living with the Rat Pack. Guess my point is why? She is such a beautiful and ageless woman, why did they use such effects on her?

She was 47 or so during season 4. I thought. Anyway, about the filters on the cameras. I've read conflicting reports. Some say Doris was self conscious about her freckles and insisted on the heavy duty filters. Others say she liked her freckles and it was the photgraphers or cinematographers who used the filters. This became a joke too, unfortunately, leading critics to say Doris insisted on being filmed through linomium to hide wrinkles. If they used the filters in seasons 1 and 2, I certainly didn't notice. You're right. It was much more noticable in season 4. It was like watching the show while wearing someone elses eye glasses.

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie »

Doris was so hip for her time. She was in no way old and by today's standards she was still a spring chicken.
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

gerard
Doesn't fit in to any known category award

Unread post by gerard »

What thing I always enjoy is the "fast hands cleanup" routine Doris does. It can be used to cleanup your entire home in one minute or so, when you get into the mood. She may have used this routine in her movies also. I am not sure which shows this had been in.
"As long as its show business, I'm happy." One of these days, I am going to quit smoking these things.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

When the DDShow was on tv, I had just started my teaching career. As a dedicated teacher of English, Journalism, Speech and Theatre (including Director of two shows each year as well as adviser to the school newspaper), you can well imagine that I had NO TIME for TELEVISION. So..I missed a lot of the tv shows being shown at that time, including this one.
So that makes it doubly rewarding for me to be able to catch up on one of the things Doris did that i never had the opportunity to see back then. And I love it all...changes included. Doris made it special then; she makes it special now. (Someone mentioned the episode with John Gavin...I haven't hit that one yet, but if I had to select someone that I thought would be a wonderful costar for Doris...in movies as well as in life..that would have been my choice! Gee.. what beautiful babies!!!!)

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

When the DDShow was on tv, I had just started my teaching career. As a dedicated teacher of English, Journalism, Speech and Theatre (including Director of two shows each year as well as adviser to the school newspaper), you can well imagine that I had NO TIME for TELEVISION. So..I missed a lot of the tv shows being shown at that time, including this one.
So that makes it doubly rewarding for me to be able to catch up on one of the things Doris did that i never had the opportunity to see back then. And I love it all...changes included. Doris made it special then; she makes it special now. (Someone mentioned the episode with John Gavin...I haven't hit that one yet, but if I had to select someone that I thought would be a wonderful costar for Doris...in movies as well as in life..that would have been my choice! Gee.. what beautiful babies!!!!)

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I really like season 1-3, but after that, without the two boys,that was too weird.
I discovered last night when browsing around youtube, my favorite was "Doris In Hollywood", when her boys entered her in the Doris Day look alike contest! That was very funny! I own the season one box set, but when I can afford it, I'll buy all of them. This one is on season three. I was happy to see that youtube has all of "Doris In Hollywood" and I enjoyed watching it again so much! :D

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

LPT, That was a great show wasnt it ? I too loved the boys on the show, they were so cute. I didnt like the constant changing of the format . I think the boys could have been worked into her new "city " life . The show seemed more real with the children in it. :wink:
suzie

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Getting rid of the boys made no sense at all. Doris was a very devoted Mother, and was everything in her life. This even made Doris even more wholesome and beautiful. Then she was made into this hard nosed reporter!
In spite of this, I still watch all five seasons because I love Doris so very much!!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I was just thinking about how easily Doris can fit into any role givin to her. A country girl on a farm as in season 1 or a city girl with alot of class. Doris was very real in both of these situations, one great actress for sure. :wink:
suzie

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

I sure agree with you Suzie!
And, in her movies, she can play in a slapstick comedy like The Glass Bottom Boat, and also a big drama like Storm Warning! She is talented actress for sure!

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Jas1 wrote:I agree with you Laurie, but sorry, can't help with your query.

I love her look in season 4 when she wears the bob [is it a wig?] - and some of the wonderful evening dresses, such as the magnificent red one when she is on her patio with Carlos; she looks amazing in that scene!

Some are wigs. In "Doris and the Doctor" I think the bob is her own hair or maybe a hairpiece to make her own bob look fuller. I love that cut. Its her signature hairstyle and the most flattering! Wish more women would wear there hair like that.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Last night I was watching season three of "The Doris Day Show."
I have a comment about the show about Doris and Myrna going on a ski trip.
Myrna hurt her ankle going up the stairs. A cute doctor looked at her ankle.
There is something this doctor did on the show that I don't think a writer today would write.
The doctor kept giving Myrna sleeping pills and we all know he kept giving her the pills so she would be asleep, so he can take Doris out to dinner, and with Myrna asleep, Doris would be free to go.
In today's world, with doctors being responsible Michael Jackson and Anna Nicole Smith's death, giving them a crazy amount of drugs , I doubt a TV plot like this would be written again, or I hope not anyway.
Back then it was all in fun, and laugh at stories like this, but when I watched that show last night, it made me sad. :cry:

chele_belle
Forum Friend

Unread post by chele_belle »

I just got my boxset of the full five seasons delivered from Amazon today, so I can't wait to start watching it. I wasn't born when the series aired, so it'll be my first viewing of the series. Can't wait to start discussing it with you all.
Michele

"I believe in living each day as it comes, to the best of my ability. When it's done, I put it away, remembering that there will be a tomorrow to take it's place."
Ginger Rogers

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

I have all the sets too and LOVE the shows!!
Have fun!! :D

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

You'll love season 3 & 5! I found those seasons very funny! Her outfits are amazing! :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

I thought season four was strange when all of the sudden Doris didn't have her two boys anymore. They just vanished! That took some getting used to. But still, I'm crazy about the show! I often watch one before going to bed, to relax me.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Me too, I used to watch it when I got ready for school in the morning. It's such a fun show to watch!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Watching it in the morning would be uplifting! Great way to start the "DAY"! :D

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

The difference in Doris Martin the widow and single Doris Martin shows her acting ability with two different woman being portrayed. Its subtle but shows her range from the nice Motherly type to single Lady in the big city.
The single last two years showed a working woman who dated more than just one man. Doris did it with class and was funny and sexy. What a Today woman is all about. Doris was always in real life a working entertainer and made it look so easy, when in fact it is not. She is a superb actress and should be acknowleded as such!