A discussion about the show

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Re: A discussion about the show

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

I loved the Doris Day Show for many reasons - and I feel it was a blessing in disguise for Doris - let's face it, she just lost her husband, Marty and he had signed her to do this 5 year deal with CBS. He died April 2, 1968 and she started filming in June, 1968. She was surrounded by many wonderful people on the set whom she had known over the years - some had worked with her on her movies - it was one big happy family for her and a great support system too.

I worked with her during Season 4 and Season 5 and saw first hand what a great group of people surrounded her. Despite the long hours she worked (had to be at the studio at 7am and left sometime after 7pm) she thrived on this schedule.

Prior to working for Doris, I and a friend had the unique opportunity of meeting her frequently at Bailey's Bakery in Beverly Hills many Saturdays and we talked about her show. She would tell us about incidents on the set and we told her how much we enjoyed her and the show....those were the days!!!! I am truly grateful that I had this incredible opportunity of spending time with this wonderful lady.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Correction, Marty died April 20, 1968....not April 2nd.

Mary Anne

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Very recently, I've watched season four again, and with an open mind. Knowing that her boys were gone, and that they changed some of the show, I looked at it as a fresh start to the new season four series.
I enjoyed watching it much more this time. Doris kept looking better and better as she got older!

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Barb~ Just wanted to tell you how wonderful your quilt looks! I'm sure that Doris loves it and uses it. You have accomplished something very *positive* for Doris at this difficult time in her life. I'm sure it is appreciated.

I have never heard of the rhubarb saying either.

Lauren

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

FASHION FIND:
Was re-watching the episode from season one 'The Job' and realised Doris is wearing the suit from Move Over Darling in the first scene (the green suit she wore in MOD to go to Monteray) - only the skirt has been shortened to move with the times!

This is 'at least' the 2nd item of film clothing re-cycled for the show and it is fun to see. I read in the past in the 1960s Miss Day had it written into her contract to keep the screen clothes and this kind of confirms that.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Also, episode one season 2 'Doris gets a job' - final scene, Doris wears a suit from Glass Bottom Boat with a wonderful bag.

lovemeorleaveme
Forum Friend

Unread post by lovemeorleaveme »

I think the second and third seasons have to be my favorite! I loved the chemistry between Doris and Rosemarie :)

One of my favorite episodes (I'm drawing a blank on which season it was aired), is "Doris Goes to Hollywood". It was cleverly scripted, and the way Doris flipped between being "Doris Martin" and "Doris Day" was just genius, in my opinion :)

I also love the fashion show episodes! Doris is just so beautiful, with such a lovely figure, that she can wear anything--a fashion designer's dream :)

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I haven't seen season 5 (it never came out in this region)? - However, of seasons 1-4, season 3 is by far my favourite. During this season, 'Doris goes to Hollywood' aired and I also loved 'Skiing Anyone' and the Christmas episode: almost all of them I adored.

After season 3, I'd put season 2 (very close), Season 1 (the interaction between Doris and the boys is magnificent and so real and she looked fab); and then Season 4.

I also think Doris and Rose-Marie are wonderful together!

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I so much love the Doris Day show, and have all seasons on DVD and I watch them over again. There are so few shows I love enough to watch them over again! :D

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Rewatched the third season DVD bonus features and they looked like they were having fun with the bloopers! Rose marie Is very professional but I don't think she was crazy about working with Mary Tyler Moore, but she raves about Doris. Phillip Brown is a very handsome man now and he too enjoyed working with Doris. He even said he would be a perfect husband for Doris if he was older. When they dropped the children on the show after the third season Phillip called Doris and she said she was so sorry but the exceutive producer wanted Doris Martin without children for the fourth season. Phillip also said he saw Doris naked by accident and that she was a beautiful woman! He told her and she said she would have to get her trailer door fixed and not to worry. He was sad Denver Pyle, Mc lean Steveson and Tod Strake are longer with us but he can enjoy them on the DVD and relive the happy memories.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

You can catch a glimpse of Philip Brown these days in many a commercial.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Yesterday I visited my nephew's home for the first time. In the entry hall is a framed rendering of the home's exterior, done in 1914 and signed by the architect, Cyril Bennett. When I saw it, I knew I'd heard that name before, but not in connection with architecture. Took me a minute to recall that it was Doris's boss on her TV show!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

The fourth and fifth season Doris Martin had an openly gay couple as her new neighbors, odd for the time, perhaps a first.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

In Tom's Santopietro's book Considering Doris Day, he writes, "When Doris Day completed the highly successful five-season run of her CBS television sitcom titled what else,The Doris Day Show, she had accomplished something unequalled by any other entertainer in show business history:She had now triumphed as a motion picture star, highly successful recording artist, and star of a multi-year weekly television series."
"Many Hollywood legends had foundered when attempting to navigate the strange terrain of a television series: Henry Fonda, Shirley MacLaine, Bette Midler, and James Stewart all failed in their TV series, and in Midler's case the failure occurred in a hail of bad publicity regarding her relationship with CBS. No other star... not Sinatra, Streisand,Bing Crosby, Lucille Ball or Elvis Presley had ever conquered movies, records and series television so successfully."

The outstanding love and connection Doris inspires from her fans is a large part of her enduring accomplishments. Her commitment to helping animals have better lives continues to inspire.
Johnny

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

While watching Lover Come Back on TCM last week, the TCM host commented during the introduction of the film that after the successful five year run of the Doris Day Show it was Doris' decision to end the show. It was not cancelled by
the network.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

It was reported in 1973, I believe by one of the L.A. papers, that Doris chose not to continue with the series, explaining that she just "wanted to not be thinking about myself all the time."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Yes, it was in 1973 that Doris ended her 5 year contract with CBS for her DORIS DAY SHOW...I was living with Doris in her home at the time....the final show was filmed in December 1972 and it ran thru June of 1973...5 years was long enough - a great 5-year run for her great series. Loved my time with the beautiful (inside and out) Girl Next Door. God bless you dear Doris!
Mary Anne