Margareen

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
MuffyM

Margarine

Unread post by MuffyM »

You mean to tell me I'm the only one who has had a chance to peruse Season 3? Season 3 is where Doris Martin meets Doris Day. I won't give anything away but please listen carefully when you play Phil Brown's commentary. :shock: Also, Bernie Koppel gives us a little television history lesson.

Season 3: It's a must have.

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

I received my copy of season 3 in the mail Thursday. I've watched the bonus material and enjoy the comments by Bernie Koppel and Philip Brown. Doris meets Doris Day is the first show I plan to watch. I saw it once and could never seem to catch it in a rerun. Hope everybody enjoys season 3.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

DD Show: Season 3

Unread post by webmaster »

I've only seen some of Season 1 and to be horribly frank I didn't enjoy it. I felt Doris had been reduced to this one-dimensional character who seemed to just smile all the time and want to do good. Sort of a suburban Virgin Mary.

Now I think, probably like most of us here, that I am the biggest Doris Day fan in the world but I prefer Doris in movies - with their higher production values, more complicated roles, dynamic co-stars, etc. Here it was Julie Andrews meets The Beverly Hillbillies. Rather like, I imagine, The Perry Como Show or The Andy Williams Show to be - sickly sweet and no gays, blacks, single parents or Irish allowed.

I'm sticking my neck out here and I suspect that 95% of you will disagree and will say "It gets much better in Season 2-3" etc but I can't help remembering that Doris was bounced into doing this series because Marty had signed her up to it and I doubt if she would have chosen to get involved in a project that had not been given the same careful thought as most of her films had.

I also came across this viewer's comment on Amazon, which tended to confirm my worst thoughts about wanting to watch any more - is it true in your experience?
As everyone else mentioned, these DORIS DAY season sets from MPI are simply great.

The only annoying feature, especially seen in 2nd and 3rd season episodes, is something that probably cannot be corrected. Everytime Miss Day appears in close up or two-shot, the image is diffused(slightly blurred)!! This was obviously done to hide any of Miss Day's wrinkles or other facial blemishes, but it can be jarring at times! In a few of the season 3 episodes, the effect becomes rather strange....in some shots, like watching a 3-D movie without the glasses! Poor Rose Marie doesn't get this treatment unless she's in a two-shot with Miss Day. I've always heard that some of the older movie stars were photographed in this way, but never really noticed it much until watching this series again.

Still, if you can get past this minor irritation, these are great wholesome family entertainment.
Okay, so now persuade me I'm wrong!
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

nelson

Unread post by nelson »

Bryan,

Since you've got season 1, watch the episode titled the friend. For mainstream tv in 1968 it handles integration rather well. Much better than Bewitched did a few years later in one of Eliz M's reputed favorite episodes.

Season 1 is a simple rural comedy in the Mayberry vein and like that show it's somewhat less dated than many of the others floating around CBS in that time period. Green Acres, Petticoat Junction to name two.

There are a couple of times in season 1 where Doris Martin and Doris Day fuse and the real Doris shines through the character. Maybe it was due to the things in her personal life but while those moments are fleeting, they are there.

Granted the scripts are simple and sometimes silly but they did give Doris a chance to get her hands dirty, work with animals which she loves and just play a regular middle class mom doing the best she could.

A lot of the fuzzy image problems with the original have been cleaned up by MPI in season 2. I've been very pleased with how sharp and clear most of them are. I recall seeing soem on CBN in the 80's and finding them dark, out of focus and somewhat muddy.

The season 2 episiodes with Lew Ayres are great. Lew Ayres was someone Doris reputedly had a schoolgirl crush on. Thirty years later she had him on her show.

My season 3 hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on that one. In season 2 I prefer the episodes where she had more natural, less, makeup and more realistic hair than the ones with the overdone wig and make up that also tended to be shot less sharply.

I have finally made it all the way through seasons 1 and 2. Time has been short this year so it's taken me way to long to get through them. There are some episodes I won't watch again, but there are some gems there to be found. Let's just hope that MPI will continue with seasons 4 and 5, Doris Day Today and also the Best Friends shows.

Doris is a natural in all things, actress, singer, beauty. She always looks her best but simpler is better for her.

Regardless of the script, when she looks into the camera and really smiles the air crackles with electricity and her love of life and the joy she brings the world just by being here lights the room like having a bolt of lightning pass through.

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam »

Bryan~

When Doris became the major producer of her series, she took over complete control of her show. She moved herself off the farm and into the big city. The scripts really improved and more interesting characters were added to the show/scripts. I agree that season 1 and parts of season 2 were not her best, but from then on her series was most enjoyable.

My season 3 is in the mail :D

Pam~

webmaster

Thanks Nelson & Pam for your considered replies.

I'll check out The Friend episode. Perhaps I'm being too hard on the series - it's just this difficulty I'm having moving on from her films. Even though she made a few howlers like "Do Not Disturb" you can still enjoy not liking them, if you follow my meaning. And I've never heard of any of the people I saw in the couple of episodes I watched (being in the UK) and I hate cute kids (!) so I have a mountain to climb - perhaps The Friend is the place to start.

But thanks.

nelson

Unread post by nelson »

Bryan,

One of the nice things about the changes each season is the show did change. In some episodes of season 1, grandpa and the kids were featured but in others they were more in the background and Doris took center stage.

In seasons 2 and 3 there were episodes where it was just the office gang so you may like them better.

Season 1 really was a bit like Please Don't Eat the Daisies moves to a farm. However, after decades of irritating, bratty kids on TV, even Doris' TV kids were polite, respectful hard working kids that worked well with her.

To put things into perspective, Doris and crew had about 5 work days to take an episode from script to 22 minutes of final cut film. They filmed 26 of them in a year. Some are better than others and each of us will find certain scenes or episodes that we like better. It's worth watching all of them as they really are different one from another.

Doris was right to move the show to a city situation. While there were plenty of working moms in the real world of the sixties, it just wasn't done on the tv shows of that era. Rejoining the workforce as a working mother was very timely when Doris did it and opened up more contemporary story lines. As I recall, seasons 3--5 also have a bit of a glass ceiling undertone where Doris, as a very competent employee, works for a somewhat less competent boss.

In season 2 the animal rights episode is again very well done. And the Myrna moves into a singles apartment is a riot, especially in the context of Love American Style and other late sixties early seventies comedies.

Don't give up on all 26 episodes without watching them, or the show without seeing each season. You'll find a couple of gems each year.

Jas1
Honorary Member

TV SHOW

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree about what has been said re- Seasons 1 & 2. What I particularly do not like about season one is the lack of Doris - Denver Pile/ Leeroy etc had very prominent roles. Doris looked great though as was very natural which I really liked.

I much prefer Season 2 - the mix was right and the city situations were polished and rarther like some of Doris' films. Particularly liked the poodle show! I await season three although as stated before have about 6 on video and they are wonderful.

PS - Just realised [Lauren] we are in the wrong area again!

webmaster

Margareen

I think she must mean "Margarine", as in Blue Band Margarine.

A quick search for Margarine + Doris Day brought up a link to The Season 3 Show:

Special Features:

Once again, there is the usual nice assortment of special features on this set. There are plenty of bloopers in "Blooper Reel #2" (4:59). They all seem to be from season 3 this time, as opposed to the bloopers that were on the season 2 set that included several season 1 bloopers. "Cast Commercials" (2:48) is exactly what it sounds like--cast commercials. They aren't directly related to the show, but they are commercials with each of the cast members. There is a Blue Band Margarine commercial with Doris herself, a Tide commercial with Rose Marie, a Fedders Air Conditioning commercial with McLean Stevenson, and a very old (1950s I'm guessing) Miller High Life commercial--"the champagne of beer"--with Paul Smith. Even if they aren't directly related to the show, they were very nice to see.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/thedorisda ... eview.html

(Able to move posts again.)

MuffyM

Unread post by MuffyM »

Sorry for all the intrigue. Across the pond, they call it margarine with an emphasis on the "reen". I think what made it stick to me was that they kept saying it over and over and it reminded me of the song "Tangerine".

MuffyM

Unread post by MuffyM »

Yes, I thought it was quite funny when Phil said he saw Doris in the all together and then went on to comment on how beautiful she is. But what really touched my heart was what he said about how much he loved Doris and that he would have made her a good husband. That was sweet.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Re: Margarine

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

MuffyM wrote:You mean to tell me I'm the only one who has had a chance to peruse Season 3? Season 3 is where Doris Martin meets Doris Day. I won't give anything away but please listen carefully when you play Phil Brown's commentary. :shock: Also, Bernie Koppel gives us a little television history lesson.

Season 3: It's a must have.

I loved season 3 as well, and appreciated Philip Brown's reminiscing of his coming of age encounter with Doris Day in the altogether! I also enjoyed life on the farm in Seasons 1 and 2 as well. But then again, I loved the Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres and Petticoat Junction! Go figure!