Doris Day Song Choice

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 25 Jul 2007, 14:02

Bryan, may I request "I'm In The Mood For Love"? I love her version of that song.

Tanja
Forum Friend

Re: Song Choice

Unread post by Tanja » 25 Jul 2007, 14:17

Bryan wrote:Thanks Tanja - maybe you can do a nice video to go with it?! 8)
that's a good idea, I'd love to make a new video...but I don't have the song. It would be very nice if someone could send me the song... :roll:

Tanja :D

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Song Choice

Unread post by webmaster » 25 Jul 2007, 14:18

I'll send it to you now.
What a difference a Day makes...

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon » 25 Jul 2007, 14:51

Thanks Bryan for playing 'Again' and for the other songs that the members requested. They're great and so are you.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 25 Jul 2007, 15:06

Oh, thank you, Velda! :oops:

Why don't you choose one? - I'm just going to do the one John asked for, sneak a couple of my own favourites in and then leave it for a few days (going off to a music festival on Friday morning - www.womad.org - assuming it isn't under water by then).

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 25 Jul 2007, 17:47

Bryan - thank you for more wonderful Doris music ! :) Again is one of my all time favorites ! I know you're getting lots of requests - but - after you fulfill all of those, a nice jazzy number everyone might enjoy is - I'm Beginning To See The Light.

Thanks again for all of your hard work. We're enjoying it !!
Toni
:lol:
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 25 Jul 2007, 17:51

Velda - I meant to mention - I've finally had time to read all of your website and it is so wonderful. So insightful ! Thank you for all that information and hard work.
Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed it.

Thanks,
Toni
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dorisdayicon
Honorary Member

Unread post by dorisdayicon » 25 Jul 2007, 23:52

Bryan I thought I requested 'Again', but I guess somebody else did. How about 'Hold me in your arms' or something like that from Young At Heart.

Thanks Toni for your encouraging words. I'm glad you enjoyed my website. Don't be shy to post a comment on the site. Ditto for any body else. It would be greatly appreciated. http://www.dorisdayicon.com

Tanja
Forum Friend

Re: Song Choice

Unread post by Tanja » 26 Jul 2007, 02:49

Bryan wrote:I'll send it to you now.
Thanks Bryan! As soon as I come home from work I'll start working on my new video "LET IT RING"...
Tanja Image

Sheila

The Sound of Doris Day

Unread post by Sheila » 26 Jul 2007, 05:30

Bryan, I've got a new favourite "It's been a long, long time" could I nominate that please? I love it! :wink:

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 26 Jul 2007, 09:03

Yes, it was you who asked for "Again", Velda but a couple of other people mentioned it as well so I saw as a group request - so here is "Hold Me in Your Arms. Annie asked for "Be Mine Tonight", and John for "I'm In The Mood For Love".

I can't find "I'm Beginning To See The Light" on my computer but I expect it is on a CD somewhere. Will have to do that next week. And Sheila, the same with "It's been a long, long time" - I know the song - just wondering if that is the title of it or a line from the song?

So the new songs are:

"I'm in the Mood for Love"

"Be Mine Tonight (Noche de Ronda)"

"Come To Baby, Do!"

"Dig It!"

"Control Yourself"

"I've Never Been in Love Before"

"Makin' Whoopee"

"Falling in Love Again"

"Somebody Loves Me"

"Hold Me in Your Arms"

"Make it Soon"

(might have gotten a bit carried away there! :D)

http://www.dorisday.net/song-choice/song-choice.html

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave » 26 Jul 2007, 14:39

Bryan, the song title is definitely "It's Been a Long, Long Time"--a tune by Jule Styne with lyric by Sammy Cahn.

A little lyrics search revealed that Bing Crosby's version with Les Paul on guitar was the big hit version in 1945, so it's right in there with DD's "Sentimental Journey" at the end of WW2.

(Les Paul's still with us--and he became better known in the early '50s with his wife Mary Ford and their overdubbing, if that's the word, on "How High the Moon".)

Stay high and dry and away from the flooding..?

Sheila

The Sound of Doris Day

Unread post by Sheila » 26 Jul 2007, 14:40

Hi Bryan,
I have double checked and the song is listed as "It's been a long, long time".

Many thanks! :wink:

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 26 Jul 2007, 15:24

Thanks Dave & Sheila - I know the song, "Kiss me once, and kiss me twice, bla-bla-bla-bla-bla, it's been a long, long time.." I'll do it when I come back.

I've got to start packing for the trip, leaving early in the morning. I don't usually go to festivals but I do a website for the band I'm going with (The Real Tuesday Weld. They've done a soundtrack to an old Hollywood surrealist film called "Dreams That Money Can Buy" and will be performing that with a showing of the film - http://www.tuesdayweld.com/dreams.html - so it's a freebie* and the chance to take some photos - and I'll be in the 'artists' section, ("Waiter, where's my champagne?") Peter Gabriel (Salisbury Hill) founded it (WOMAD - World of Music and Dance) and he's on tomorrow night so I'm hoping to get close enough to take a few of him. (I'll post some in the photo section) *free, forgetting I've had to buy the kind of clothes you wear aboard Noah's Ark, wellington boots, rain mac, waterproof underwear (not really, but close). Not that I wanted to - I was bullied into it to 'be on the safe side'! Although the weather forecast is fine and dry, everyone is anxious.
(I'll delete this when I come back - meanwhile it would be interesting to hear about what people think of the songs.)

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious » 26 Jul 2007, 17:22

Have fun Bryan, sounds like you'll have a fabulous time! Thanks for sharing all these songs, I have never heard quite a few of them! And "Again" as you all have requested is definitely one of my faves, but then again, I could listen to Doris all day (and have) :P
H E A T H E R | Graphics

TJ

One More Song!

Unread post by TJ » 26 Jul 2007, 17:27

Bryan,

How can you forget "No Moon At All"? Just kidding. There are so many from which to choose. What I love about "No Moon" is that it shows off Doris' jazz chops. She could truly be a jazz stylist as well.

Just an idea. I've enjoyed listening.

Tammy

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 26 Jul 2007, 17:32

I have never heard quite a few of them!
That's good, Heather - I've been asked to post some I haven't really 'heard of' either - it's nice to listen and know that other are listening to the same music. For example, Dayniac going for "Let it Ring". I used to love it and hadn't heard it for years and then Velda and Tanja said they had never heard it before.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 26 Jul 2007, 17:58

I'm glad that people are enjoying "new " Doris tunes. Thank you for sharing them Bryan.
I'm Beginning to See the Light is on Doris Day's Sentimental Journey, 1964 album.
I really like No Moon At All, too !

Thanks again,
Toni

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 26 Jul 2007, 18:03

I've had a song stuck in my brain for two days - Someday I'll Find You. I had to search my cd's for it and found it on the I Have Dreamed album. And I see that you've put it on the playlist ! It must be karma ! I hadn't heard that song for years and here it is.

Thanks !!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 26 Jul 2007, 18:12

How can you forget "No Moon At All"? Just kidding. There are so many from which to choose. What I love about "No Moon" is that it shows off Doris' jazz chops. She could truly be a jazz stylist as well.
I really like No Moon At All, too!
Me too - I love it - it will have to be up there - along with Fly Me to the Moon, Fit as a Fiddle, Let's Take a Walk around the Block, Get Out & Get Under That Moon, Baby Doll, - and this is ignoring many of her 'greats'.

And I love Someday I'll find you - have you heard the Noel Cowerd (author) version, and others? Doris is so good on it - the best.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 26 Jul 2007, 20:48

WOW! Such a wealth of greatness! Thanks Bryan! (and you too Doris, of course!)

Toni, "Someday I'll Find You" is just sublime, isn't it? And just perfect for her voice! I also love "My Ship" from the I Have Dreamed album.

Bryan, I've heard Julie Andrews sing "Someday I'll Find You" in the movie Star!, about the life of Gertrude Lawrence. She does a great job too. But nobody tops Doris on that song for me.

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 27 Jul 2007, 10:20

John - I do agree - perfect for her voice. I just listened to the whole cd and I also think I Believe in Dreams is wonderful. Its really a great album - an over looked one. I really enjoyed all the songs - When I Grow Too Old To Dream,We'll Love Again, You Stepped Out of A Dream , All I Do Is Dream of You - they're all nice.

Ken
Honorary Member

I Have Dreamed

Unread post by Ken » 03 Aug 2007, 21:53

I Have Dreamed is a fantastic album. One of my favorites in this set is My Ship--a song not heard very often.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 04 Aug 2007, 02:46

Ken, a man after my own heart. I love "My Ship." Kurt Weill wrote some incredible songs, and that one suits Doris to a T.

Bryan, how about "My Ship" being added to the list? Pretty please?

I hope your feeling better... and I hope it's not raining as much anymore.

webmaster

Song Choice

Unread post by webmaster » 04 Aug 2007, 06:11

Will do all of those.

Meanwhile try this:

http://www.dorisday.net/alternative-tra ... itles.html

In a mad rush - off to a wedding.