The Doris Day Show Season One

Talking about "The Doris Day Show".
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Doris on TV

Unread post by webmaster »

Why would you not want to see Doris on TV?
Bryan don't be a TV snob! That's not like you! Besides you should push the series to help with the site!
I've always seen Doris as a film actress and I've never seen her in a TV show so it's hard to get my head around it.
I saw her in the cinema at a special time in my life and that's very important to me. I have no memory of her on TV.
Maybe I don't want to have that memory diluted? I don't know, but as I said I WOULD like to see it now (is that clear!).

It's nothing to do with snobbery, Betty, - I love TV - God knows, I watch enough. But it's different for you folks from the US - you've seen her in film and TV. I'm just not used to her on TV.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

DorisDayFanatic
Forum Friend

Hi

Unread post by DorisDayFanatic »

Hi Bryan,

I hope that you enjoy the Doris Day Show.

It is a truly fantastic show. Great casting, just really sweet.

Betty

Boxed Set

Unread post by Betty »

Bryan I hope you purchased the box TV set!!

ray
I danced with Doris!

The Friend

Unread post by ray »

Aired October 8,1968-- In return for a donation of milk for the school kids, Doris agrees to pose with her family for an advertising picture.
The show The Black Eye was the first show filmed according to Philip Brown in his interview on the extras. But Dinner For Mom was telecast as the first show while The Black Eye aired November 26, 1968. Best Friends, Doris's cable series did much the same since the Rock Hudson show was the first filmed, but The Les Brown show played before it.

ray
I danced with Doris!

USA Today

Unread post by ray »

USA Today mentioned The Doris Day Show in its new DVD's section. "Day steered the sitcom to 128 episodes on CBS amid myriad format changes after her screen career ended. In this first season, she's a widowed single Mom back on the family farm".

Vinton

Five year run

Unread post by Vinton »

During the course of the five year run of The Doris Day Show, Doris went from victim to victory with her 1974 court win. She also went from Actress to Animal rights activist. She picked up steam and even produced the Show in its final season and got into all aspects ot the production. It's interesting to watch the shows knowing all that was going on in her life at that time. It must have tired her out and I can see why she high tailed it to Carmel and private citizen status.

Betty

The Friend

Unread post by Betty »

Come on guys, lets get some feedback on the third show, The Friend!

Katie

Unread post by Katie »

sorry to be skipping ahead, but has anyone watched 'the musical' yet??

Those kids were very cute and hilarious!!!

'The Friend' was very cute too...Doris is really a fighter, huh?

I thought it was funny how theaudience knew what the problem was, but no one really said it...you sure would see that plot now a days.

Doesn't watching this show make you wish Doris was your mom!?!?!

:D
- Katie

Teachers_Pet

Unread post by Teachers_Pet »

Katie wrote:sorry to be skipping ahead, but has anyone watched 'the musical' yet??

Those kids were very cute and hilarious!!!

'The Friend' was very cute too...Doris is really a fighter, huh?

I thought it was funny how theaudience knew what the problem was, but no one really said it...you sure would see that plot now a days.

Yes, Katie--I remember THE MUSICAL from YEARS ago--those dances the kids were doing were the ones I grew up with. :) Right now, I'm trying to rewatch the episodes in order. I think I'm ready to watch No. 6--The Antique.

Back when this show aired, there were many more restrictions about what you could or couldn't say on tv. The audience had to do a lot of reading between the lines.

Even then, you could see Doris fighting against injustices, like refusing to allow the sponsors to take that girl out of the commercial.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

110%

Unread post by Ralph »

It took a lot for Doris Day, who had led at the boxoffice longer than any star before her, to come to TV. Television was still "taboo" for MOVIE STARS. She just had to face the reality of her situation -- she needed money and she was still bankable.

I think that Doris swallowed hard and decided she'd do her best with the series: afterall, film is forever. That's the same reason she gave 110% in LUCKY ME, a film she didn't want to make. But, Doris knew that the critics would be watching and criticizing her performance and that LUCKY ME would still be around for a long, long time, with brand new people judging HER, not Jack Warner.

During the first season, Day had the tendency to be overly "cute" as I recall, sort of how she was in DO NOT DISTURB. That kind of overplaying has always disturbed me (as a person who has studied acting).

Her acting became more natural later in the series and the show became something really special. Just my opinion.

Ken C

Unread post by Ken C »

I've watched the first 4 shows and am enjoying them very much.It's hard to believe Doris did so well after all she went through a few months before she filmed the series.

Vinton

TV Series

Unread post by Vinton »

That's interesting Ralph, when did you think Doris acting become more natural and what season did the show beome special to you?

Unread post by guest »

Hello,

I only ever saw a few of the D D shows and my set arrived Friday, I LOVE IT. We didn't get to see much of it over here in the U.K. so I am going to watch it over and over again.

Susan

Amy2

Unread post by Amy2 »

Ralph,
I'm sure DoDo appreciates your critique.

webmaster

Doris on 'What's My Line'

Doris on 'What's My Line' - I'd love to see that!

How long is it? Is it the kind of thing we could watch online?

Teachers_Pet

Re: Doris on 'What's My Line'

Unread post by Teachers_Pet »

webmaster wrote:Doris on 'What's My Line' - I'd love to see that!

How long is it? Is it the kind of thing we could watch online?

I would guess that each WML episode is between 10 - 15 minutes (I didn't time them). They have edited the show so you only see the very beginning and then the part with Doris in it.

It seems like something that could be shown online (I remember Lily's birthday tribute was 2 hours). I also remember that, a while ago, someone had included two video caps (The Way We Were and Day by Day). However, I'm no technical expert in exactly how that would be done.

ray
I danced with Doris!

What's My Line

Unread post by ray »

Brayn aren't you going to get the DVD boxed set? That way you can watch the What's My Line segments from 1954 and 1957. 1954 was actually Doris's first time on TV. Everyone thought her TV show was the first time. The design and artwork and photos are well worth it, along with the extras and the shows.

Karen T

DORIS DAY SHOW

Unread post by Karen T »

Hi everybody,

I received my 'set' on Friday I'm 'thrilled to bits'. I like the design of the packaging and Doris looks beautiful in the middle photo on the inside of the set.

Everyone was out on Friday, so I poured myself a glass of wine and sat down to enjoy the 'show', but I could not make my mind up whether to watch the 'show' or the 'extras' .... decisions! decisions! .. I went with the 'extras' and they were brilliant. I thought Doris was funny and cute in 'whats my line'. The dress she wore in the 1954 episode is identical to a dress she wore in 'young at heart' but, darker in colour. I enjoyed the 'promotions' and 'interviews' ....you're 'right' Betty, Philip Brown is a 'hunk'. It was nice to hear that the D.D. show had started him off on the 'right foot' in life ..QUOTE: "I am the most responsible person I know", and he put that down to the 'show'. He seemed delighted that he had 'butterflied kissed' with Doris.

I have not started watching any of the 'episodes' yet, with the 'V.8' concert being on last night, everyone was in. I like to watch Doris alone, so I can really enjoy. I have only ever seen three episodes of the complete 'show' (dinner for mom, the friend, and another), and they were bad copies, so It's a new 'D.D. Show' to me.

THANK YOU TERRY.

'Enjoy' everybody

xx

jboursaw

Season One - DVD

Unread post by jboursaw »

Wow - I just learned that Season One of Doris' TV show is on DVD, and immediately ordered it. All I can say is, Yahoo! I and many other fans of Doris have been waiting and waiting for the series to be released on DVD. I say again, Yahoo!!! Can't wait to get it.

jane boursaw
www.reellifewithjane.com [/url]

ray
I danced with Doris!

The Matchmaker

Unread post by ray »

Show aired October 22, 1968-- Billy and Tobey play cupid for their widowed mother, chosing the local deputy to be their stepfather.

This show had the look and feel of Mayberry RFD and The Andy Griffen Show, with a deputy like Barney Fife! I am sure this is what Marty Melcher and CBS had in mind with the country setting etc... but times they were a changin with televison, Which would persuade Doris to leave the counrty setting for the big city and eventual single status. because shows like Maude and All In The Family were coming in Vogue. That meant goodbye to Green Arces and similar types.

webmaster

Doris Day Show

"Bryan aren't you going to get the DVD boxed set?"
Ray, I can't spend ALL of my money on our beloved Doris! :lol: Much as I'd like to - well, not all, but a bit more if I could.
I might go for the DVDs and wait for a birthday/Christmas present for the rest! :twisted:

But I'm glad you all seem to be enjoying it - maybe somebody could capture a few images and send them to me to post on here?

Unread post by Guest »

Bryan, I'm guessing our favorite blonde is not getting too much revenue off the home movie end of the business. Arwin owned the TV show so if there is any money going to her, it would be from the sales of the show. There is a Message From Doris in the Extras of Season 1. When one watches it, one thinks, "Oh, I've seen this", but the only reason we have seen it is that Doris' message has not changed over the years. She wants us to control our pet population, give good homes to the pets all ready here and to stop using animals in laboratory experiments.
True, I've seen it before but but this is what she wants us to know.

Anyway, as far as your budgeting situation, let me say this: Years ago when "With Six You Get Eggroll" first came out on VHS, it was $29.95. No way in hell I could afford it. Just got it a couple of months ago. Prices do tend to come down.

Bryan, make yourself up a Doris Day Wish List. Make sure everybody who loves you has a copy with instructions on how and where to make the purchases.

If anyone deserves to have a little Doris around the house, it's you, my friend. :lol:

Clara Bixby

Unread post by Clara Bixby »

When you all get around to Episode 16, The Buddy, think of me. I know I must have seen it but I had totally forgotten about it.
The uniform was regulation, all right, but those shoes. I don't think we could have worn those shoes even with a chit.

Happy viewing!

webmaster

Bryan, make yourself up a Doris Day Wish List. Make sure everybody who loves you has a copy with instructions on how and where to make the purchases.
Well, I got "The Pajama Game" and the CD from "Young at Heart" for my birthday in Feb - and Xmas isn't too far away! :lol:
Anyway I don't want to overdose on Doris - tempting as it is.

I've come late to DVDs - only got one recently - what are we going to do with all our videos???

I'm sure Doris gets a royalty for the sales of all her material - isn't that how it works?

Vinton

Jodie Foster

Unread post by Vinton »

Jodi Foster was a guest on The Doris Day Show called The Babysitter. Jodi went on to bigger roles as we know in Hollywood.