cbs news sunday morning - possible DD segment

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
howard
Special Contributer

cbs news sunday morning - possible DD segment

Unread post by howard »

It's not a definite "go," but there's a good chance that this weekend's edition of CBS Sunday Morning, hosted by Charles Collingswood (sp) will air a segment about our Doris. I believe the show airs at different times around the country. Here in L.A., it's on from 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Re: cbs news sunday morning - possible DD segment

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

I might have to watch. Is it a PR thing for the new book? I'm guessing yes. I worked in public relations and worked for a firm that specialized in authors, so if I sound a little cynical, thats the reason. But, anytime anyone mentions Doris on TV, I make every effort to catch it.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Howard, is the segment about Doris or about the book?
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

It's about Doris, but, of course, it ties in with the book. And don't forget guys, at this point, it's just a good possibility.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

Well, I for one will be watching. I anxious to see that. Anything with Doris is right up my alley.
Thanks for the tip.
Carol :D

debey

Unread post by debey »

:D i just checked the cbs schedule for sunday morning and there will be a segment on dd.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

As the discussion of the book is restricted to the member's area I had to delete your post, doris-day-fan. Theodomus
"The BEST is yet to come."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Just got this from the CBS-TV site...

SUNDAY PROFILE: Doris Day
A new biography of Doris Day, that movie superstar of the 50s and 60s -- is getting a lot of buzz. The bio goes behind the famed “girl next door” image of Doris Day, and reveals a woman who was as unsuccessful in love as she was successful as an actress and recording artist. Jerry Bowen gets the story from the author, David Kaufman; her long-time friend, Kaye Ballard; and the acclaimed cabaret singer of today, Mary Cleere Haran.

Links

For David Kaufman’s biography, "Doris Day: The Untold Story of the Girl Next Door," gp here: www.virginbooksusa.com

Theodomus - this is straight news and it is from the CBS site ....as you can see Kaye Ballard, Doris's long time friend, will be on with David - I am sure Kaye would definitely NOT do anything to hurt Doris - if someone finds this bit of news offensive it's their problem....

IndyDorisFan

Unread post by IndyDorisFan »

[quote="doris-day-fan"]Just got this from the CBS-TV site...

A new biography of Doris Day, that movie superstar of the 50s and 60s -- is getting a lot of buzz. The bio goes behind the famed “girl next door” image of Doris Day, and reveals a woman who was as unsuccessful in love as she was successful as an actress and recording artist. Jerry Bowen gets the story from the author, David Kaufman; [b]her long-time friend, Kaye Ballard[/b]; and the acclaimed cabaret singer of today, Mary Cleere Haran. [/quote]

This sounds great -- thanks for the info!

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Mary Ann, I am quite capable of distinguishing between an official press release and a post like your earlier one.

However a source URL would be appreciated.
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

It looks pretty definite to me. According to my program guide, a Doris Day segment is definitely planned for tomorrow morning. Tune in kiddies!

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

doris-day-fan wrote:Just got this from the CBS-TV site...

A new biography of Doris Day, that movie superstar of the 50s and 60s -- is getting a lot of buzz. The bio goes behind the famed “girl next door” image of Doris Day, and reveals a woman who was as unsuccessful in love as she was successful as an actress and recording artist. Jerry Bowen gets the story from the author, David Kaufman; her long-time friend, Kaye Ballard; and the acclaimed cabaret singer of today, Mary Cleere Haran.
As I suspected, it's not a segment on Doris, but a promo piece on the book. :roll:

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila »

Very interesting post John. It really makes me laugh that when Mr Kaufman's book is mentioned, it is promoted as an interesting story about Doris, when in actual fact it's more about the contributor's and author's opinion of Doris.

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

I'm going to intervene here, I appreciate that Howard posted this in good faith but we have had a long and torturous discussion about whether to discuss this book or not and agreed we should. To draw attention to each item of publicity about it is not, I think, helpful and, as shown here, likely to restart the whole argument.

We know the book is out, we are discussing it and I think we should leave it at that. People are welcome to join in that discussion - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2284 - but I'm going to ask everyone not to set up new topics every time there is a further development. If you want to be notified of these things you can subscribe to Google Alerts - http://www.google.com/alerts - just type in 'doris day' and leave your email and you will be notified of all mentions of her that appear online. This is essentially where this information is coming from.

We don't want further squabbling and point scoring on here so your cooperation will be appreciated. Otherwise there is always the good old 'delete' button. :wink:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Just saw the wonderful piece that CBS did on Doris in regard to David Kaufman's new book. They covered a lot with many photos, film clips and a short interview with Kaye Ballard who explains why Doris has become more reclusive today. CBS did a fine job - hope you got to see it!

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Do you ever feel you are talking to yourself? :?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Right after the CBS Sunday Morning spot, the guest count on the forum was, I think about 17 people. I would like to know why more members aren't posting. I'm sure most of us in the US watched it! I did not find anything offensive on the segment. My take on it was that it was more about Doris than promoting the book. Some of the ever so brief clips, I had never seen before and I think Kaye Ballard looked wonderful.
Diane
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I didn't see it. Of course, maybe it hasn't aired out here on the West Coast yet. Doris or book, I figured there wasn't anything I didn't know already in the segment.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris had been ignored for long enough. This segment was excellant and though we all know about Doris this gives a new generation a chance to see and hear and know about Doris's talents if nothing else. It was a first class piece and nice to see Kaye Ballard,

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Bryan,
I guess Diane, Ray and I are all talking to ourselves!!!! Great conversations, believe me!

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Ray,
I agree with you about these segments giving a new generation a chance to learn more about Doris - it is exciting to me that young people are discovering Doris Day for the first time. Some of the young ones on this forum are a prime example. I don't even know much about the "so-called" stars of today - they are nothing compared to Doris's era...anyway for the young to admire Doris is a big plus for today's youth.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I totally agree that it's wonderful younger generations are discovering Doris. Very nice. But they're the ones who should be watching the piece, not me... especially not at 6:00am on a Sunday! :lol:

But, really, do the younger generations watch CBS News on Sunday morning?

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

I should have said the public at large, young, old and in between! Many people where I work hadn't heard of Doris Day till this book! We have such a distaste for old! I love being older and I better get respect!!!LOL!

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

I thought it was an excellent show. CBS did a great job.It was a well prepared segment.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I missed it. Did anyone record it?
The Doris Day Show