Pillow Talk

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Pillow Talk"?

Poor
No votes
Average
No votes
Good
3%
Excellent
97%

Total votes: 87

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Pillow Talk

Unread post by webmaster » 17 Sep 2005, 08:00

Again please visit the film page to refresh your memory
- you might like to say if you agree with the review or not. :?:

https://dorisday.net/pillow-talk
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Ken C

Pillow Talk

Unread post by Ken C » 17 Sep 2005, 08:24

This movie gets an EXCELLENT rating!! A real classic in all ways.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Pillow Talk

Unread post by ray » 17 Sep 2005, 15:34

I agree with Ken, Pillow Talk was excellant in many ways. It came at a time Doris and Rock both needed a movie hit and it was just the ticket! Bright witty scenes and dialogue and helped push Doris to Number One at that box-office! Without Pillow Talk we probably wouldn't be on the forum today even though some are lukewarm about the movie. This film made the Doris Day/Rock Hudson team a household word for years to come.

Glorious Day

Unread post by Glorious Day » 18 Sep 2005, 17:25

I love this film. The combination of Doris, Rock and Tony is amazing. They compliment each other perfectly. Doris looks amazing in her gowns and Rock is so handsome. Tony is adorable and Thelma Ritter is very funny.

This is one of the first films that I use to convert friends who haven't seen a Doris film....lol..... It always is a hit.

Jas1
Honorary Member

I hope I'm right, I better be right!

Unread post by Jas1 » 19 Sep 2005, 06:01

Overall, this is my favourite Doris film of all time although Teacher's Pet and a few others come very close.

Doris had just mastered her comedic genius and had not gone just that little bit over the top as she would do in later films such as "Mover over Darling".

Everything about this film works and of course it started the sex comedies, the complete love affair with Doris Day (lasting until around 1965), the gowns, everything was just a class act and the Oscar nomination was so richly deserved. I think this one (of the 3 with Rock) was Doris' film - Lover come back was Rock's and Send me no flowers was Tony's.

PattyG

Unread post by PattyG » 19 Sep 2005, 11:22

Everything about this film works! And, boy oh boy, does Doris have a body that shows off those wonderful fashions! Love it!

joe t.

Some comments about "PT"

Unread post by joe t. » 28 Sep 2005, 11:14

Some not-so-excellent comments regarding the excellent “Pillow Talk” rating I gave above.

During filming, the working title was “Anyway The Wind Blows”. This was probably driven by Marty Melcher trying to get a song he was publishing to be the title of the picture. Ross Hunter changed the title to “Pillow Talk” and “Wind” showed up in Doris’ next picture, “Please Don’t Eat The Daisies”. Marty didn’t give up easily.

The plot line was pretty flimsy. I vaguely remember as a child having a party line on our telephone but that was in the late 1940s. By 1959, that situation had long since passed. So Stanley Shapiro got away (just barely) with that plot device.

I wished the songs in “PT” had been better. “Possess Me” is okay but it’s lyrics are trite: “Hold me tight, kiss me right” and “You’re divine, my Valentine” are pretty lame. Doris has stated that the songs worked in the picture and she’s right. But she also lamented in her biography that Marty wouldn’t pay for a Henry Mancini/Johnny Mercer quality song. Of course, no one knew beforehand that “PT” would be such a huge success. Still, it would have been nicer if Doris had had a song in the picture of the quality of a “Moon River”.

And it irked me to see Rock’s name above Doris’ name but I figured that was the agents’ dealing to get Rock to do the picture. I also felt Rock was too large to do “light comedy” but he was acceptable and he and D. looked so good together. Doris carried the comedy ball with great assistance from Tony Randall and Thelma Ritter.

That year there was a huge ad campaign to get Doris an Oscar nomination. There was a lot of that stuff going on at the time and most likely is still the case. But as a comedic performance is generally not considered worthy of an Oscar nomination, it does make sense to campaign for it. Marilyn Monroe also gave a fine comedic performance that year in “Some Like It Hot” but she was overlooked.

webmaster

Comments

Unread post by webmaster » 28 Sep 2005, 15:52

Those are some great, perceptive comments, Joe. You should take up film criticism!

Regarding, "I wished the songs in “PT” had been better. “Possess Me” is okay but it’s lyrics are trite: “Hold me tight, kiss me right” and “You’re divine, my Valentine” are pretty lame". - I think of them as fun, 'pastiche' songs not to be taken too seriously. But I appreciate your thoughtful comments.

JerryWebster

Pillow talk

Unread post by JerryWebster » 23 Oct 2005, 18:25

When I saw "Pillow talk" for the first time, I was deceptioned. I had read so many good things about that film, that I expected It would be wonderful. But I thought that it was good, only good...
Now I have seen it a few more times, and absolutely ADORE IT!! I don´t know why I disliked it at the first time. It´s strange, but when a Doris Day film is even better than the rest, I don´t like it the first time. It happened with The man who knew to much, Pillow talk...
So, though I think Lover come back is the funniest Doris Day comedy, I must say it isn´t the best... the best Doris comedy I have seen is "Pillow talk".

bluebird1115

Unread post by bluebird1115 » 24 Oct 2005, 20:41

I vaguely remember as a child having a party line on our telephone but that was in the late 1940s. By 1959, that situation had long since passed.
I guess that depends on geography. I had a party line phone from 1989-1991 because the place I lived was not populated enough to justify (in the phone company's eyes) a private line.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 10 Dec 2005, 01:46

Hi,

I also rated Pillow Talk excellent. I think it is one of Doris' best films. The scrift was good and what chemistry between Doris and Rock!

I have seen Rock Hudson in the three of Doris' films as well as three others. I have to agree with the review, he is at his best with Doris.

By this film, Doris has perfected her comedy, and the sharp script showcases it. I also love the fashoins in this movie, and of course, her singing.

We can not forget get her supporting cast of Randall and Ritter and how they complete this film.
The Doris Day Show

webmaster

Pillow Talk review

Unread post by webmaster » 15 Jan 2006, 11:47

Interesting review here:

http://cinematical.com/2006/01/13/dvd-r ... llow-talk/

and I must admit I found the Bright Lights article amusing - although I remember some objections!
If you are a born-again Christian, avert your eyes now.

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/24/pillowtalk1.html

Unfortunatly, when you get to the end of page 1 and you click on the next interestingly titled page "NEXT: Doris looking pretty damn sexy" - there is no page - ditto all the other pages.

I just discovered they work at the TOP of the page,

Jas1
Honorary Member

Fashions!

Unread post by Jas1 » 16 Jan 2006, 07:13

I agree Lauren and what is that about the costumes? Doris was a dream to design for - a model's height and figure - much as I love Liz she was shorter and not the clothes horse Miss Day was.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 22 Feb 2006, 00:12

My mother took me to see this film. It was the first time I saw Doris on screen and it remains my favorite comedy. Looking at it now there are several scenes and attitudes that are dated but the red hot chemisty between the leads and the riotous supporting work by Tony Randall and Thelma Ritter make it a classic.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

It's Magic

Unread post by It's Magic » 12 Mar 2006, 10:38

I simply love this film. Not only is it Rock Hudson at his best,but I was laughing so hard the whole time. Doris was as funny as ever. It's a true shame that she didn't win the Best Actress Oscar for the role.
I often use her line,"Mr.Allen,this may come as a shock to you,but there are some men who don't end every sentence with a proposition" in real life. People just look at me--thank goodness my family understands! :lol:
I could watch this film over and over again and never get tired of it. It is a real masterpiece and one of Hollywood's greatest films.
I rated this film excellent.

John F

Unread post by John F » 12 Mar 2006, 17:40

I agree, this is a great film. Doris should have won the oscar. It is my favorite of the Day/Hudson films.

webmaster

Oscar

Unread post by webmaster » 13 Mar 2006, 17:37

It's a true shame that she didn't win the Best Actress Oscar for the role.
It's a classic feel-good film and rightly rated as one today - as evidenced by the 'remake', "Down With Love", which I really enjoyed (championed by Ray) BUT... looking at it today, I'm surprised she was nominated for an Oscar for that role and not "Love Me or Leave Me".

I suspect 'they' realised Doris was wowing the crowds (top box office star) and doing lots of good work (Teacher's Pet, The Man Who Knew Too Much) and also the fact that this film was a surprise to most people. If you think about it, Doris was never so obviously 'sexual' before. It was a long way from Calamity Jane and the girl/woman next door.

Some 'classic' actors like Doris, Cary Grant, Marilyn Monroe, even James Cagney (and do we ever think of Rock Hudson as having should have wone an Oscar? - I don't think so) created a body of work that was worthy of an oscar but perhaps never captured it in one single film - from the point of view of the judges.

I think it was Ralph who was pointing out how meaningless some of the Oscars handed out today were. If we are being democratic, it's us the public who decides and Doris was seen by us, in her prime, as top dog! 8)

Goofing off again....

Jas1
Honorary Member

Oscar!

Unread post by Jas1 » 14 Mar 2006, 06:19

I like to think the oscar nomination was a mixture of a few things, not least of all a recognition of Doris' work and growth from Love me or Leave me onwards, working with Hitchcock, and turning in wonderful understated performances in Teacher's Pet and Pajama Game.

Add to this the magnificent performance in Pillow Talk, and yes, the success of the film, and there you are! The time was right and although I am gald Doris did more Pillow Talky stuffy, if she had not, I think PT would be rated much higher today crtically.

It's Magic

Unread post by It's Magic » 02 Apr 2006, 11:42

I was watching TCM yesterday and Tony Randell was talking about his filming the care scene with Doris. He said that the director came over to Doris and said,"Okay,just start crying."
Doris said,"Alright."
Tony was sitting there,thinking,"Okay,let's get rolling."
Suddenly Doris burst into tears and they filmed the scene. Tony said he was amazed that Doris was so happy before filming,and she was told to cry and she did just that!
"If the director told her to laugh out of one eye and cry out the other,she could have done that. She is just such a wonderful actress," he concluded.
I thought that was sweet. Just wanted to share it with you. :)

It's Magic

Unread post by It's Magic » 02 Apr 2006, 15:31

Hi,Lauren.
Yes,Tony made about three of those little things for TCM about making Pillow Talk. I don't think I saw the one you're talking about,though.
Thanks for sharing.

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Golden Globes 1960

Unread post by Ralph » 07 Jan 2007, 21:33

Golden Globe Awards: 1960

Best Motion Picture Actress - Drama
Winner: Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) - Elizabeth Taylor

Other Nominees:

Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - Lee Remick
Nun's Story, The (1959) - Audrey Hepburn
Room at the Top (1959) - Simone Signoret
Suddenly, Last Summer (1959) - Katharine Hepburn

Best Motion Picture Actress - Musical/Comedy
Winner: Some Like It Hot (1959) - Marilyn Monroe Image

Other Nominees:

Ask Any Girl (1959) - Shirley MacLaine
But Not for Me (1959) - Lilli Palmer
Pillow Talk (1959) - Doris Day
Porgy and Bess (1959) - Dorothy Dandridge

It's funny how Marilyn Monroe beat out Doris Day for this award, with Doris getting nominated for the Oscar and Monroe didn't, nor did Lee Remick that year.

The Globes, it's said is the pre-cursor for Academy Award nominations. Day was Globe-nominated quite a few times for drama and comedy and got only one nomination for the Oscar. Also, look who won for drama. Simone won the Oscar, not Liz. This looks like another "sympathy vote" for both Liz and Marilyn.

Doris didn't leave the ceremonies empy-handed, however, she won the Henrietta Award as the Top Female Star to Rock Hudson's Top Male Star.

ImageImage

At the Golden Globes, 1960, Rock Hudson read the nominees and then presented Marilyn Monroe her Best Comedy Actress award for "Some Like It Hot." She defeated Doris Day for that prize. Day and Hudson received the World Film Favorites accolades that same night. So, Doris and Marilyn probably did meet that evening at the Cocoanut Grove!

Ralph
Doris Day Film Reviewer

Re: Some comments about "PT"

Unread post by Ralph » 08 Jan 2007, 13:36

joe t."Some not-so-excellent comments regarding the excellent “Pillow Talk” rating I gave above.

And it irked me to see Rock’s name above Doris’ name but I figured that was the agents’ dealing to get Rock to do the picture. I also felt Rock was too large to do “light comedy” but he was acceptable and he and D. looked so good together. Doris carried the comedy ball with great assistance from Tony Randall and Thelma Ritter.

That year there was a huge ad campaign to get Doris an Oscar nomination.

I agree with the majority of what you wrote. I didn't think too much about the songs except that I never liked the song, "Pillow Talk." As far as Rock Hudson getting billing over Doris Day, I too was puzzled, but it probably had to do with the fact that Rock was #1 male at the box office in 1958 and Day had just had two films that didn't do well at the boxoffice ("Tunnel of Love" & "It Happened to Jane"), even though she received the 1958 Golden Globe's Henrietta Award (along with Tony Curtis) as the World Film Favorite Female Star to Curtis' Male Favorite. How she did that, I cannot say.

Day needed "Pillow Talk" to get her out of "the slump." After having won the role of Jan Morrow over Marilyn Monroe, who had campaigned to nab the part, Day knew it was a great role and that she could play the hell out of it. Hudson was wildly popular and would be strong boxoffice. Too bad director Michael Gordon didn't keep the reigns on Day's reaction shots: the overdone rolling of the eyes (once is fine, but several times during the film?) Plus, the constant sighing marred Day's performance.

Doris has said she was "surpised" at getting nominated for the Oscar, so was I. There were very few comedy performances that have won in the leading categories ("Born Yesterday" with Judy Holliday, "It Happened One Night" Claudette Colbert) are the only two "best actresses" I can remember.

Day was actually better in "The Thrill of It All" than in "Pillow Talk." Today, a performance of its calibre could be nominated, but not back in 1963, especially in a year of highly dramatic performances. There was much more competition for Oscars back in the day. Today, I see just ordinary acting getting recognition. But then, today, mediocrity is "in." Just look at the songs that are nominated for "best song" these days - all of them, non-descript.

Being Globe-nominated for dramatic performance for "Midnight Lace" didn't help Day get an Oscar nod. If it had been Audrey Hepburn in the same role, she would have gotten nominated. The "Day backlash?" Audrey played a woman in distress in "Wait Until Dark" and got Oscar-nominated .

Heatherlicious

Unread post by Heatherlicious » 19 May 2007, 18:59

Definitely rated this excellent! My future roomie just declared that she was a Doris fan as well, so we decided to watch it last night to relax from finals and just sat and giggled the whole time. It is by far my favorite Doris film thus far :)
H E A T H E R | Graphics

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 20 May 2007, 16:37

One of my favorite DD movies. Doris, Rock and Tony were so good together. Its a toss up to me which I like better - this or Lover Come Back. Both are great. The Doris and Rock chemistry was something ! And you could tell it came from a deep friendship between the two. They were great together.

Earlier Lauren was talking about the Tony Randall interview on TCM. I did see the one she mentioned. He did nothing but praise Doris for her abilities. And he alluded to her belief that it was easy to do. Like he said - it may have been easy for her but its not that easy for most people. She was such a natural !!

And someone also talked about her great figure in the beautiful clothes. Ross Hunter said that he told Doris it was time to get her out of those dirndl skirts and into clothes that would show off her wild posterior (I think he said a** !). Well - she found her niche in the designer clothes, and she would be known for from this point on.
I guess she was well known for her posterior -- in the 1940's, early 50's - Bob Hope called her JB --- short for Jutt Butt.

She probably was nominated for an AA as mentioned above - because of her huge success since Love Me or Leave Me. I really believe she should have been nominated for that movie. Hollywood doesn't always nominate and give awards based solely on merit. A lot has to do with politics and who's more popular and successful at the moment.

Anyway ---- I love this movie.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 20 May 2007, 16:52

Hope you enjoyed these !!
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch