Midnight Lace

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Midnight Lace"?

Poor
1%
Average
5%
Good
39%
Excellent
54%

Total votes: 76

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 09 Oct 2007, 11:48

It's an amazing pic, she looks so unhappy, she must be prepairing for the scene there. Thanks for sharing.

Peter

miss maxwell
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by miss maxwell » 05 Dec 2007, 15:17

Very good suspense movie - with Doris' hysteria scenes [elevator & stairs] really standing out. It was great seeing Rex Harrison (love him), John Gavin (with whom I'd been in love with ever since I had watched "Psycho"), Myrna Loy (always enjoyed her movies!) and Doris - well I don't think this particular lady need a parenthesis :D - together in a film. The one thing I'd change, if I could, would be:
Ralph wrote:But her performance was flawed as it was in "Love Me or Leave Me" by inserting intermitant slices of "cuteness" where it wasn't needed. She became 'Laurie Tuttle" at times: "oh, I just love presents!" (smiling broadly)
My thoughts exactly.

PS: I'd edited these screen caps from the 'apocalypse' scene together and was considering using it as my avatar but with Christmas just around the corner, a mystery pic didn't feel right; so I'm posting it as a regular pic here:

One of my favorite scenes.

PS2: Interesting points raised regarding Doris and the awards. I was mad when I first realized that they simply haven't done her justice (I hope this expresion fits here?). . . Obviously her artistry is immensely appreciated by thousands (of fans) all around the globe, awards or not, still she deserves the exact same recognition by the industry [both film and music]. BTW - and I hope the answer is a big fat (greek or not) YES - I take it that Doris does at least have her own star at the Hollywood Walk of Fame [Right...?]

PS3: Bryan, were you once called Viton? :lol:

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 05 Dec 2007, 18:59

She does - I believe she has two - for music and movies

movies
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 05 Dec 2007, 19:55

Yes that was a little too sugary ! Surprising - she's usually right on.

She was lovely, though !

Your hunky John Gavin -

Doris was very kind to Myrna Loy. This was her first supporting role and she has said that Doris went out of her way to make her feel comfortable and important. Not surprising.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 06 Dec 2007, 12:30

Great photos! I watched this film again recently, it really shows Doris' versatility as an actress. It's a shame the film took so much out of her emotionally.

javajunkie540

Unread post by javajunkie540 » 07 Feb 2008, 01:10

I really enjoy this film. I've only seen it a few times, but I just finished rewatching it and Holy Cow, can Doris Day act. Of course this is no shock to me or anyone else here on the board for that matter, but I believe this has to be one her best roles.

webmaster

Re: Midnight Lace

Unread post by webmaster » 20 Jun 2008, 14:05

Midnight Lace YouTubes

Midnight Lace Trailer from TCM

Midnight Lace (1960)-- Roddy McDowall (Clip #1) - clipsandmore
I've only seen it a few times ...and Holy Cow, can Doris Day act.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M » 20 Jun 2008, 16:00

I think her performance in this is much better than in Julie. More modulated and controlled. I love this film a lot. But I've always wondered how the Hollywood "London" plays to people over there.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 20 Jun 2008, 17:37

It doesn't, John! We all know it was filmed on a back lot and that Doris didn't do any location filming for it, ditto Caprice, we know that wasn't Doris walking around Paris. The worst was Do Not Disturb - it looked like it was filmed in Brigadoon. The thing that annoys me is that a lot of the Englist charcaters speak like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 20 Jun 2008, 17:50

To bad these pictures were not shot on location. I think it adds so much to a film to be done in the location its supposed to be in. I must say they do a pretty good job at "trying " to duplicate ,but its never quite the same as really being there.
Bryan you are so right we americans do not do your lovely way of speaking very well. I love the english accent and our actors over here, try hard but just cant seem to get it right.The actors seem to over do it a bit i,d say. :oops:
suzie

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 20 Jun 2008, 18:08

he-he, Suzie - and us English don't do American accents very well either!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 24 Jun 2008, 07:50

Suzie

That is an interesting point [location] and it comes up a few times in the Kaufman book where he states not only was 'Midnight Lace' but also 'Do not Disturb' were supposed to have been filmed on location in England. He states Doris did not wish to do this and hence they were shot on the studio lot. If true; it may have made each an entirely different film, however one can understand Doris wanting to be near home [and doggies] whilst still working so hard.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 24 Jun 2008, 08:40

This is another film that apparently Doris didn't want to do but was apparently 'talked into it' by Marty. I think she knew it would be distressing for her. It probably would have been more film noir had it been filmed in London (and in black and white?) but, in retrospect, it's hard to imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to murder Doris! Particularly as she was so nice and looked so glamorous in it - maybe they should have tried to make her look frumpy with a bad temper? :)

Posting this again as it's such a great image:

No, Miss M, I was never called Vinton! - when I was setting up this section a couple of people couldn't wait for me to finish it and I didn't want to delete what they had started. (Sounds familiar? :wink: )

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 24 Jun 2008, 09:28

Thank you , Bryan for the neat picture of the "behind the scene " shot of doris in the balcony. I just love the tech side of movie making, I find it as interesting as the actual movie itself.lol It always blows my mind how the magic makers are able to trasnport us into their world...Doris was so good in M L, she made you sit on the edge of your seat ,more than once. :shock: Too bad doris didnt like to travel much,she made so many movies that could have been filmed on location . (Im sure marty would have loved the traveling side of making movies on location) but its understandable that having traveled so much with the bands,that doris just wanted to be HOME at night after a hard days work . Location or not nobody does it better than our doris. ALWAYS a pleasure to watch. :wink:
suzie

JerryWebster

Unread post by JerryWebster » 24 Jun 2008, 15:19

I really enjoyed the film the first time I saw it about two years ago. I re-watched some of its scenes this morning and I this time I thought it was somewhat obvious to find out who the murderer is. I really don't understand why it surprised me the first time!
I still like the film though.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 24 Jun 2008, 15:43

Hi Jerry - nice to see you again!

(Although you should really have Rock as your avatar with that handle! :) )

Re:
I really don't understand why it surprised me the first time!
I think films are always fresher the first time you see them - after that you begin to notice other things.

Laurie

Unread post by Laurie » 30 Jul 2008, 05:06

Well, I finally watched it for the first time and it took me a while to get into it. However, I enjoyed the movie and Doris did a great job in her role of Kit. If she had been Elizabeth Taylor, they probably would have given her an Oscar for her performance. I couldn't get it out of my head though, the real Doris Day would have stood up and slug the guy. There wouldn't have been all of that crying and running to her husband. I know that was what the part called for, but Marty was wrong to make her do the movie. I just had a hard time watching her cry so much.
"Wrinkles are hereditary. Parents get them from their children.”- Doris Day

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue » 26 Sep 2008, 12:03

This movie was on German pay TV about a week ago.

My parents and I were having coffee and cake when my mom flipped channels, saw the movie and I said "oh I like that one" so she decided to watch it with me. My parents kept discussing who the murderer was and what was going to happen. It was fun to watch.

I think it was an overall good movie but I wouldn't rate it excellent. It was a pleasant change to see Doris in a more dramatic role. I know she didn't really like playing that part but I think she's a fine actress and did a very good job.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 28 Sep 2008, 16:57

Domi, yes doris did a great job acting in this movie. Did you know that in the scene where she faints on the stairs ? Well, she really did faint for real in that clip. Doris relived a certain thing in her own life that made her act as hysterical as the part called for , but in the process it really did make her faint. That scene really took its toll on doris, but she rested for a day or so and was able to carry on. What a great actress !!!!
suzie

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue » 29 Sep 2008, 14:15

suzie wrote:Domi, yes doris did a great job acting in this movie. Did you know that in the scene where she faints on the stairs ? Well, she really did faint for real in that clip.
No, suzie, I didn't know she fainted for real. Thanks for the information.
dayniac wrote: Doris was very kind to Myrna Loy. This was her first supporting role and she has said that Doris went out of her way to make her feel comfortable and important. Not surprising.
That's nice. There's nothing better than a good working environment. Myrna Loy was a great actress. I loved her in the movies she did with Cary Grant.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster » 01 Dec 2008, 12:52

A great page on "Midnight Lace" (click on pics there to enlarge)

Including a pair of unretouched portraits with Rex Harrison.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot. ... those.html

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 01 Feb 2009, 09:40

Just surfing on the internet and find these great pictures.

click on the image for the large one.

http://i43.tinypic.com/68ubuv.jpg

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie » 01 Feb 2009, 10:11

I love this movie. I wonder if Doris has ever watched this movie all the way through, or maybe it was even as painful to watch for her as it was to make ? Maybe Mary Anne knows ???
suzie

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree » 01 Feb 2009, 14:51

I haven't seen this movie yet, but if I'm remembering correctly, Midnight Lace is part of a new DVD collection coming out April 7th. But as of now, it's not on DVD. Can't wait to buy the collection!
From looking at the pictures on this thread, Doris looks sooo beautiful in this movie!
PS. I was wrong about Midnight Lace being a part of this new collection. Too bad!! :(
Does anyone know where I can get the VHS for a reasonable price? Thanks!

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 13 Jul 2009, 11:31

I just watched this film last night. Wow!! I thought it was an amazing movie. Doris is just beautiful in it. I love her clothes and her hair. Her acting is absolutely perfect in this movie, especially in the elevator and staircase scenes. I think she desereved an Oscar. It's really awful that she had to suffer so much emotionally while making this movie though. I thought Rex Harrison, Myrna Loy, and John Gavin were a good supporting cast in this movie. Even though the ending had been ruined for me, it still came as somewhat of a surprise, and there was one person involved that I never would have guessed. I really really loved it! I think it's my second favorite movie of all time (right after Pillow Talk). :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~