Politics

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Politics

Unread post by webmaster »

Do politics and the forum go together? Not really! But Doris is very political, leaning more to the right these days. I'm also very political. To simplify it, I dress to the left, or as you Yanks put it 'a liberal' - I get the feeling that is a dirty word in America? It doesn't mean 'anything goes', it just means that we are all human and 'the law' doesn't always solve human problems just because whoever is in power passes that law.

I think we are all in 'post left/right politics' now. We have a 'left-wing government' in the UK who are really 'right wing' in policy terms - the war ON Iraq, etc, so it's really hard to be represented if you have a Doris Day attitude, i.e, loving, caring and wanting the system to help people who need it, like 'the poor', 'foreigners' etc,

I don't trust any of them these days and I express this by making fun of them occasionally/usually. I've just set up a new identity on YouTube called The Phantom Raspberry Blower (of Old London Town) (a character on Brit TV many years ago).

Our Fanny's Gone All Yankee (Tony Blair):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJnpDynp-iE

Just thought I'd share that - there are a few other on there as well - it's a way of letting off steam and laughing at the mad world we live on. Do you have any extra-curriculum hobbies you want to share? :lol:

Have you heard of Gordon Brown in the US? I think he's going to be Britain's Al Gore - in terms of political impact. I could be wrong and often am:

If I Ruled The World:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnCG3VUwJxU

This is a very American version of the same thing:

If My Friends Could See Me Now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DmEVQKK0pk

One for 'the republicans', or 'Tories' as we call them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJhkQOHT-aE

Not perfect - like life.

Am I getting carried away? I know, I should be.

I may delete this tomorrow when I realise I've said too much about myself and MI5 are listening in. :wink:

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac »

Oh --- don't get me started on politics !!!!!
In the US - I used to think there was a difference between Democrats and Republications ( our two main political parties) - but in the last few years I've come to believe that all politicians are alike.... they promise you so much - and don't come through with anything ! We're heading into another presidential election so - we're in the big promising stage. I think all they really care about is getting elected - they'll promise you anything to get elected ....... but, thats just my jaded view of politics !! :lol:
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Its2Good2BeTrue

Re:

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

dayniac wrote:Oh --- don't get me started on politics !!!!!
In the US - I used to think there was a difference between Democrats and Republications ( our two main political parties) - but in the last few years I've come to believe that all politicians are alike.... they promise you so much - and don't come through with anything ! We're heading into another presidential election so - we're in the big promising stage. I think all they really care about is getting elected - they'll promise you anything to get elected ....... but, thats just my jaded view of politics !! :lol:
So true. I guess that pretty much applies to most politicians, not just those in the US :D . They promise you heaven and earth as long as you give them your vote but in the end what they stand for is not exactly what you really want in life.

I personally feel that regular citizens should be at the very top and rule the country we live in. Why you say. Simply because they know what it's really like to live in a country with living costs skyrocketing and a low salary. Why is junk food cheaper than fruit and veggies??? Everyone complains about the medical costs and how more and more people skive off work.

And btw, I'd be considered a liberal just like you Bryan :D . I'm all for a society where people live in peace and harmony, where everyone feels free and welcome. A society where politics are not just made for the rich but the poor, especially the poor.

webmaster

Re: Politics

Unread post by webmaster »

I read recently that Tony Blair has made £1 million in the past year alone just on the lecture circuit and that the Blair's have just bought (actor) Sir John Gielgud's former mansion for about £4 million - that is in addition to having two other homes and an office as big as Downing Street in the expensive Mayfair district of London paid for by the taxpayer.

So while we rightly blame the greedy money-lending banks, the people at the top are setting the example to 'grab as much as you can', while you can - the same philosophy that has gotten us into this mess. No wonder we've all lost trust in them.

"Tony and Cherie Blair have added a £4 million house – that was once home to the actor Sir John Gielgud – to their already impressive portfolio.":
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1927686 ... -home.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Its2Good2BeTrue

Yes, it's a never closing gap between the rich and poor. Guess all we can do is have visions of wealth :lol:

Politicians like to say that we should not pollute the environment and buy hybrid cars, yet most of them fail to follow their own advice and drive cars with a high mileage. They use their private jets to fly to important meetings.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Did anyone watch the palin - biden debate ? I did and it was great. I thought that both of the vice presidential canidates , did very well. Both are very likeable, and I thought they both were very respectful toward each other. I hate ugly nasty debates where the only way that one can communicate is by tearing the other guy apart. :evil: BOTH of these potential vp,s are good people, just have different ideas, and thats a good thing.
I lean more toward the right, and just love gov. palin, but I also think alot of joe biden too. It will be an interesting election , thats for sure.
suzie

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Hi Suzie,
Yes, I watched the debate last night with Biden and Palin -- I thought they both did fairly well -- I always thought that I was a conservative (and I basically am) -- but I have more Libertarian leanings lately as I believe that government has gotten just too big, and has become nothing more than a leech on the American people poised to suck us dry as long as we'll stand for it. Are either of these candidates going to save us? I really don't think so -- but one can hope. I think Palin stands for what most of the conservative American people believe in. But Biden, well we all make mistakes and I don't intend to bash him, but let's get real. Did you hear his big blooper or slip-up? He was talking about FDR speaking to America after the stock market crash in 1929, on TV . Wow, that was a biggy -- Hoover was president and there were no televisions back then. Both parties and supporters of the parties will always be at odd and NEVER come together -- so why should this election be any different. Americans are fed up with the Bush way or the Republican way. In reality, I don't think there's much difference between the parties. I'm fed up.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Hi, Diane, you are echoing what I am hearing every where. You stated just what I and many many others in this country are feeling. You said it perfectly...I too am feeling the need for great change in our country.
I too am so very fed up with this business as usual attitude, pass an emergency bail out bill and pack it full of pork :evil: :twisted: (for those of you in other countries, pork means a whole bunch of add ons and special interest, ) and it most likely wont work in the long run anyway. I must say that gov palin was a breath of fresh air, with her down to earth middle class america values and attitude. I really like her alot. To be honest with you palin sealed the deal for me. We as a nation cant have more of the same, we need change and real change not just lip service. You know oddly enough, palin reminded me of a 2008 version of jan marrow, or carol tempelton lol. Taking on the good ole boy network and all. You go palin girl .... :wink:
suzie

Its2Good2BeTrue

Thought you might want to read something from a German news site on this issue:

It wasn't a disaster. Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin survived her debate with her calm and controlled counterpart Joe Biden. But it's unlikely to have been enough to narrow the gap that has opened up between Barack Obama and John McCain in the polls.

For more click this link:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 62,00.html

Now the Spiegel is considered to be very conservative and political most of the time, here in Germany and I don't always agree with their standpoint but it happens to be one of my bookmarks plus they have English versions of their articles. :lol:

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I must say that gov palin was a breath of fresh air, with her down to earth middle class america values and attitude.
I know my voice doesn't count, but sorry - I can't take anybody serious who credits her foreign policy credentials to the fact that Russia can be seen from Alaska, slingers around questions being asked withouth answering them or who is against sexual education in schools but can't keep her own daughter from getting pregnant... Without wanting to hit on that - Teenage pregnancies occur here as well much too often...

@ domi
Well, I always found the Spiegel to tend more to the middle left then the middle right?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

I know this is a very critical subject but I have to say I absolutely agree with Marion on that one - while watching Palins interview with Katie Couric the other day I couldn't help but laughing - I couldn't take her at all serious. And the thought of her being the next President (and there is a VERY good chance of that if McCain wins) totally scares me - I don't at all agree with her "all american values" and ways of thinking. And I very much doubt she could handle that job. :(

Its2Good2BeTrue

Theodomus wrote:
@ domi
Well, I always found the Spiegel to tend more to the middle left then the middle right?
Ahh, how nice, another German chimes in...good to know I'm not alone anymore :lol: .

You know, I find the online version of Spiegel to be more entertaining than the printed version since it covers more than just the political part. The printed version is full with articles of politics and economy.
Theodomus wrote:
I know my voice doesn't count, but sorry - I can't take anybody serious who credits her foreign policy credentials to the fact that Russia can be seen from Alaska, slingers around questions being asked withouth answering them or who is against sexual education in schools but can't keep her own daughter from getting pregnant... Without wanting to hit on that - Teenage pregnancies occur here as well much too often...
So true. That's what I've been saying all along. The US is the country with the highest rate of p-o-r-n (ok seems this word is banned), yet most Americans have this very prudish behavior. Marion, do you remember how they used to teach sexual education in 5th grade, at least here in Lower Saxony, in what we called Orientierungsstufe back then?

I remember a conversation I had with an American who thought that posting a half naked cartoon guy on a message board was inappropriate because there were younger people reading the messages. I was like this: :shock: :lol: seriously, laughing how anyone could possibly think of a naked cartoon! guy to be inappropriate seeing how teenagers nowadays have seen far worse by the age of 12. It's the human body after all. If you hide everything from your kids they will eventually find a way to look at it. I know that not all Americans are that prudish but experience has shown, that unfortunately most of them are and that is exactly what we don't understand here in Germany. The US is said to be the land of the free, open-minded, yet many are so closed-minded as where sexual matters are concerned. I think it's important, very important to start at a very early age in school to teach children sexual education. It's not just about seeing a man and a woman naked it's about showing them the human body but also to explain them how to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Marion, do you remember how they used to teach sexual education in 5th grade, at least here in Lower Saxony, in what we called Orientierungsstufe back then?
We started in 3rd or 4th grade already - naturally with a lot of giggling *gg*

I remember that a boy in my class had just gotten a sister and he brought pictures from the birth - gee, did we find that disgusting... :mrgreen:
Marion

----------

Its2Good2BeTrue

Theodomus wrote:
Marion, do you remember how they used to teach sexual education in 5th grade, at least here in Lower Saxony, in what we called Orientierungsstufe back then?
We started in 3rd or 4th grade already - naturally with a lot of giggling *gg*

I remember that a boy in my class had just gotten a sister and he brought pictures from the birth - gee, did we find that disgusting... :mrgreen:
Oh really? :mrgreen: But hey it was a lot of fun. I remember in 5th grade we used to have this overhead projector with slides of a woman and a man and their well, body parts :lol: and we all had to say a few words about them...no way to hide :mrgreen: . Actually I'm very glad that we started out that early, it makes us more open-minded about anything sexual. Don't you think? Well, at least I still feel alright, bit on the naughty side but so what :lol:

Sorry guys, we're just having fun here, right? :mrgreen:

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

I watched the debate and I too came away likeing palin very much.When I first saw the couric so called interview, I thought wow that poor girl really dosnt have what it takes to be a v.p.,but then we heard that the interview had been edited, so we didnt get the interveiw as it actually happened. Palin herself said that it was great to be able to debate joe in front of the american people,where it couldnt be edited or pasted to make her look uninformed and stupid. Moral of the story , the news isnt always accurate, so you really have to go with your own gut feelings on everything. Also regaurding the FACT that palin lives in alaska, makes it very likely that she has as she said had to actually deal with the russians, not simply being a nosey neibhor and looking over the fence.Im afraid our news over here is very one sided, so folks in other countrys dont always get the real deal, on everything. Its too bad to, because its not really fair.I know we all pretty much hear what we want to hear when it comes right down to it. :wink: im so greatful to be able to speak freely and to vote my choice. BILL :wink:

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Actually I often feel we are better informed over here than you Americans - because of the distance. (Edit: And we don't get our news from your news - There are European journalists etc. over in America covering everything. ;-) )

Maybe the interview on tv was cut, but they will not have mixed up questions and answers. So I do believe the stumbling, having no answers etc. was real.

And don't forget - Palin had been in a debate training camp for days before the debate! And appearently many answers were sounding like they had been memorized...
Marion

----------

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Sorry - I have to disagree with you Bill - I don't think that we *folks in other countries* don't get the real deal - we can watch television and read the news JUST as you can you know :D We might even have more different views on subjects which I think is very important.
I happen to believe that I'm very well informed - I do care a lot what is happening in the US ... because it will as usual affect the whole world.

Its2Good2BeTrue

Theodomus wrote:Actually I often feel we are better informed over here than you Americans
That's true.

When I was in the US in 1994 world news coverage was nowhere near as good as international news in Germany so I wasn't surprised that American high school students didn't know much about other countries but their own. Why else would they ask questions such as: Do you have washing machinse in Germany? Or, what's it like to live in a country ruled by Hitler?

But, even if I didn't get to see that much about other countries I wouldn't ask these kind of questions knowing that the war has been over for quite a while and that Germany is no third world country.

Now you may think that American students don't ask these questions anymore. Unfortunately they still do as someone told me just recently. So what does that tell us? :roll:

I think the US pretty much wants to stay the way it is now - why change the way when things are working just fine (when in fact things could be better if they listened to others).

We wish Americans would open up and explore other options that might be of benefit to them. Work with instead of against other nations but they are so tied to their traditions we're afraid this is never going to happen. That's the general consensus here in Germany.

John F

Unread post by John F »

The thought of Obama becoming President scares me. The media has been so biased in his favor and I feel people are uninformed. As for Katie Couric, she is out to get anyone she doesn't like or agree with. People need to watch Fox news to get fair and balanced information. They say NBC news is Obama headquarters.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

John,
I agree with you - the media has Obama-mania, but I don't! Heaven help us if he gets in. I'm for the McCain - Palin ticket and I feel sure that Doris would be too - she is probably enjoying the rise of Sarah Palin who has that "Doris Day attitude"...courageous, fun, positive and good spirited.

Being positive, staying focused and moving ahead are some of the many traits Doris instilled in me while I was with her.

In less than a month we will know who will be leading our wonderful country and I sure hope it will be President John McCain and Vice President Sarah Palin! God bless America!

Mary Anne

Its2Good2BeTrue

doris-day-fan wrote: In less than a month we will know who will be leading our wonderful country and I sure hope it will be President John McCain and Vice President Sarah Palin! God bless America!

Mary Anne
Lead yes but where to? :lol: I can't believe someone would actually consider having a person as a vice president who is geographically incompetent. I thought you guys want a change after what the Bush administration has done to your country. I give up...

As I've said before, things most likely are not going to change ever for the US because so many people don't want a change. Above post is exactly what I mean.

Reminds me of a discussion I read on a German international forum when Americans used to say when Germany refused to go to war with them: I don't give a damn what Germans or other nations think cause we're the superpower. We don't need anyone, we don't want anyone else's advice. We're perfectly happy the way things are now, if you don't like them, get lost. I for one love other countries just as much as my own and if they have something I like I'm interested, traditions or not.

Plus, why bring in "God Bless...", what has god got to do with politics and this discussion? And don't get me started on religion :roll: Religion has caused more harm than good over the centuries and we all know it.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Domi, you will most probably not have made many friends with the American members of this forum with this post, but I do have to agree with the statement you made.

Guys, please don't let McCain-Palin run your country even deeper in the mess it is in now already.

I love the US, I love its people and I enjoyed the time spent there tremendously. Nevertheless during the past years I was startled about what certain people have done to your country and to its reputation in the world.

Since the 2. World War Germany has always been a good and loyal friend and partner of America and we are still very grateful for what you did after the war to build up our country again. But the atmosphere has changed over the past years - beginning with the presidency of George W. Bush and especially after 9/11. After 9/11 there was so much love and support for your country around the world - But what Bush & Co have done has destroyed most of this.

Don't let McCain and Palin continue in this way. Your country DOES need a turnaround from this politics - Not only on the foreign sector but also domestically to get your country and economy up and running again.

Somebody mentioned above that the interview with Palin and Couric was cut and that maybe Palin did really deal with Russia in some way.

If so - Why didn't she say it? Why didn't she say "I have negotiated a trade agreement with Siberia" or whatever? The only explanation I have is that she didn't say it and therefore didn't do anything like that. At least I have not heard any complaints that important facts have been cut out of the interview?

As said above there is a very good chance that Palin would have to take over if anything happens to Mr. McCain. If this scenario pops up in my head I just think "Good night, America and the world"... Sorry...

And...
and I feel sure that Doris would be too - she is probably enjoying the rise of Sarah Palin who has that "Doris Day attitude"...courageous, fun, positive and good spirited.
Sorry, Mary Anne. I don't know Doris personally as you do, but I do not believe that.

Only one point is Doris saying herself that she would never recommand anybody to marry without having lived together before. Can you imagine Palin doing that?

Do you see Doris approving of Palin going hunting and handling guns?

Do you see Doris, who fights for spaying/neutering programmes for animals and supporting poor people so that they can keep their pets, approving of continously lowering taxes for the rich and companies?

Sorry, call me idealistic, but I don't.

And overall - Why does Doris have to be dragged into this political discussion anyway? I don't think (above I only imagined!) that anybody is capable of speaking for her in this respect except herself.
Last edited by Theodomus on 06 Oct 2008, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correcting spelling errors
Marion

----------

Its2Good2BeTrue

Very well said, Marion. Bravo.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Sorry folks, I do not want Senator Obama to be our president - no Obamanation for me! ANd please don't keep linking Senator McCain to President George Bush - it is NOT more of the same as the left keeps trying to portray. Governor Sarah Palin isa breath of fresh air to this country - she stands for the middle class that is unfortunately shrinking. I voted for GWB in the last two elections and he has been a huge disappointment in many ways, but I will never vote for Senator Obama for anything. He's a slick talker with charisma and that is what the media is throwing in our faces - the ACORN group is rounding up people to vote no matter what - it's like the old Chicago slogan - "vote early, vote often." Yes, this country is in a huge mess right now and I am happy I lived when I did when things were pretty normal - feel sorry for the young people all over the world - what a mess they have to face. Bottom line, we have a choice between two people in November and my vote will be for the McCain-Palin ticket.
"The BEST is yet to come."

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

I don't want to get into all this to much in here (not on a Doris Forum anyway) but I have to say I *absolutely* agree with Domi and Marion .... America is in a huge mess right now on so many levels (and it seems we are right there as well) - it's time that all countries work together to get us out of it!
So you guys *NEED* a President who starts the real TALKING again - we are all in the same boat so to speak. Please stop thinking in those "God bless America" ways ... God needs to bless the whole world!