Politics

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?
Dianne
Forum Friend
Spam Prevention: Yes

Re: Politics

Unread post by Dianne »

BabeWilliams wrote:I'm not allowed to vote, but if I was this is what I'd do. I'd be going to McCain-Palin. I'm not racist or anything, but I think it would be cool to have a Man-Woman team thing going on. And being that they're Republican, they're pro-life. Which I'm all for, if our family didn't believe that way I would be here today.
Megan,
I applaud you....Always be true to yourself and to your beliefs..you'll never go wrong.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Its2Good2BeTrue

Unread post by Its2Good2BeTrue »

BabeWilliams wrote:So, is everyone over here in favor for Obama???

I'm not allowed to vote, but if I was this is what I'd do. I'd be going to McCain-Palin. I'm not racist or anything, but I think it would be cool to have a Man-Woman team thing going on. And being that they're Republican, they're pro-life. Which I'm all for, if our family didn't believe that way I would be here today.

I feel sorry for Palin sometimes too. She was getting bashed because her teenage daughter is pregnant. Can anyone honestly say, they don't know someone who was or is a teenager while having a baby? It happens all the time, it's no reason for her to be bashed.

She's also being bashed because of her Assembly Of God religion. I go to an Assembly Of God church, and I'm just fine. This is America for God's sake, freedom of religion.. HELLO!!
Megan, we're not talking about freedom of religion and I never said Palin could not go to church if that is what she wants, fine with me. If I were an American and I'd have to vote, I'd be worried reading just the two lines below.
More than once, vice presidential candidate and current governor of Alaska Sarah Palin has shown a habit of investing secular matters with religious meaning. A $30 billion gas pipeline in Alaska was "God’s will," the war in Iraq was a "task that is from God."
http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 40,00.html

How am I supposed to take someone like that seriously? Someone who believes that the war in Iraq was a task from God? Hello, she's a politician after all and is supposed to do what is best for her country, not what some so-called God whispered in her ear.

They'd call the men in the white coats here in Germany if somebody, especially a politician, acted that way and even worse justified his actions because God told him so - best example, Bush.

Its2Good2BeTrue

Diane T wrote: Megan,
I applaud you....Always be true to yourself and to your beliefs..you'll never go wrong.
Are we talking about religious beliefs here? Cause the Bible is not as holy as you may think. At least it wouldn't feel right to me if a guy I knew would cut his wife into four pieces and this is exactly the kind of stuff you will find in the Bible. Faith is not the solution to everything and I'm perfectly happy without it. I don't have anything against religion per se but I don't like the extremes many Christians like to practice.

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

To BSDDomi,
Megan is 15 years old.....she is only just starting to express her own point of view :) Let's not over-load her.

Its2Good2BeTrue

Diane T wrote:To BSDDomi,
Megan is 15 years old.....she is only just starting to express her own point of view :) Let's not over-load her.
Oh I believe that teenagers at that age have a good idea of what is right and what is wrong and how they would act in a certain situation. And I'm glad she does express her own point of view. :D

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Domi -- LIGHTEN UP. :twisted:

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Ladies ladies, stop fighting..lol Everyone's entitled to their opinions. And that's all there is to say.

Domi, I understand you're not being very religious. I don't find many people that are. I'm growing up in a religious home though.. My dad's a children's pastor. But, I do understand where you're coming from. I know plenty of people and have plenty of friends who come from the same side you are. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I see where you're coming from. But as for me, I'm Christian.. And very happy! :D
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

John F

Unread post by John F »

What I stated was based on fact. I was discussing the morgage mess and the economy. I watched a special on it and it was well researched. They said the democrats were more culpable. It goes back to President Carter and legislation that was passed at the time. Banks and other lending institutions were pressured into giving loans to low income people who could not pay them back. They were even afraid of being accused of racism if they did not give the loans. This is not such a friendly place. I felt sorry for Mary Anne and what she went through and hope she keeps posting.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

This is not such a friendly place.
If your talking about the forum, I just think we should try and lighten up alittle more. Everyone is so tense. We should have more fun!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

John F

Unread post by John F »

I agree. I'm getting off this topic. Politics and religion can be intense.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Unread post by Jake Iverson »

Haymarketaddict wrote:I know this is a very critical subject but I have to say I absolutely agree with Marion on that one - while watching Palins interview with Katie Couric the other day I couldn't help but laughing - I couldn't take her at all serious. And the thought of her being the next President (and there is a VERY good chance of that if McCain wins) totally scares me - I don't at all agree with her "all american values" and ways of thinking. And I very much doubt she could handle that job. :(

Quite franky, Obama's experience isn't all that vast either, though it didn't seem to thwart Carter when he ran in 1977.

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

John F wrote:What I stated was based on fact. I was discussing the morgage mess and the economy. I watched a special on it and it was well researched. They said the democrats were more culpable. It goes back to President Carter and legislation that was passed at the time. Banks and other lending institutions were pressured into giving loans to low income people who could not pay them back. They were even afraid of being accused of racism if they did not give the loans. This is not such a friendly place. I felt sorry for Mary Anne and what she went through and hope she keeps posting.

That is true. My friend in financial planning, who is black and a big liberal said the same thing. It stems from the Carter years and not wanting to appear racist by asking minorities or anyone to divulge how much they earned and whether they could pay a mortgage. Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac....what stupid names on top of it!

Jake Iverson
Forum Friend

Theodomus wrote:Actually I often feel we are better informed over here than you Americans - because of the distance. (Edit: And we don't get our news from your news - There are European journalists etc. over in America covering everything. ;-) )

Maybe the interview on tv was cut, but they will not have mixed up questions and answers. So I do believe the stumbling, having no answers etc. was real.

And don't forget - Palin had been in a debate training camp for days before the debate! And appearently many answers were sounding like they had been memorized...

Actually, they call them debates, but I don't think there have been real debates since the 1940s. They're all rehearsed and planned questions and answers so watching the debates for me is an aggrivating waste of time. So in essence, your reporters are right. But that doesn't only apply to Palin, but to all the candidates as well.

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Just going to chime in briefly with my two cents: while Obama wasn't my first choice, I definitely support him and Biden over McCain and Palin. Palin absolutely does not have what it takes to lead the country, which any VP candidate needs to be able to do if called.

And the hypocrisy of the conservative religious right where her daughter is concerned truly makes me sick. Can you IMAGINE what the right would be saying if the liberal Democratic VP candidate was a woman who had an unmarried teenage daughter and invited the boyfriend to the convention?? It would be non-stop about the secular-progressive left killing the morals of this country and decimating "the American family," etc. But because she is a conservative... not a peep except support.

And, I'm sorry, but Fox News is NOT fair and balanced. It is only right-wing propaganda. And far more so than the other networks are liberal propaganda. I mean this housing market disaster and the Wall Street debacle have nothing to do with loans made during Jimmy Carter's era. But they do have everything to do with Reagan, Bush and Bush, Jr. taking apart all the business safeguards that were put in place in the first half of the 20th Century, saying they were "bad for business, therefore bad for America." And just look where we are AGAIN. Ah, but the CEO's have taken home RECORD compensation even as they run the companies into the ground and bankrupt the emplopyees and in some cases, the shareholders. And that's who the right protects and fosters. Under McCain-Palin the wealthy will get richer, the poor, poorer, and the middle class will continue to evaporate. We cannot afford them... literally or metaphorically.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

Megan, nobody is bashing her because her daughter is pregnant.

She just lost credibility because in a nation with one of the - if not THE - highest number of teenage mothers she is against sexual education in school as that according to her isn't necesssary. And then can't explain the facts of life to her own children...
I felt sorry for Mary Anne and what she went through and hope she keeps posting.
Do I have to understand that in the context of this discussion? :?:
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

As US presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain prepare for their second debate, Bill Turnbull (BBC) reports on how American breakfast television is covering the race for the White House.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7656106.stm
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Interesting, Bryan.

But the sentence "...the first black president or the first female vice president, and THIS in deeply troubled economic times" is more than just a little chauvinistic, isn't it... ;)
Marion

----------

Theodomus
Honorary Member

And the hypocrisy of the conservative religious right where her daughter is concerned truly makes me sick. Can you IMAGINE what the right would be saying if the liberal Democratic VP candidate was a woman who had an unmarried teenage daughter and invited the boyfriend to the convention?? It would be non-stop about the secular-progressive left killing the morals of this country and decimating "the American family," etc. But because she is a conservative... not a peep except support.
Thanks for that, John. ;)
Marion

----------

webmaster

"Let's keep smilin', let's keep laughin', let's be happy, ho ho ho ho, ha!"

For some reason this song keeps going through my head! :wink:

How do you like the new big Doris? Looking over us!

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

Jake Iverson wrote:
Haymarketaddict wrote:I know this is a very critical subject but I have to say I absolutely agree with Marion on that one - while watching Palins interview with Katie Couric the other day I couldn't help but laughing - I couldn't take her at all serious. And the thought of her being the next President (and there is a VERY good chance of that if McCain wins) totally scares me - I don't at all agree with her "all american values" and ways of thinking. And I very much doubt she could handle that job. :(

Quite franky, Obama's experience isn't all that vast either, though it didn't seem to thwart Carter when he ran in 1977.
RIGHT! And that's why I think Hillary would have been perfect for him in that way as a Vice President :)

But experience alone doesn't help a bit if you are otherwise totally uncapable - look at Bush - I think he made even more mistakes in the second decade of his Presidency than in the first :(

@Megan: nobody is really bashing Palin for having a pregnant teenage daughter - I personally couldn't care less about her personal situation - its just cause she preaches standarts to everyone which she can't even keep in her own family - that's totally hypocritical to me :roll:

And I think overall we are pretty friendly in the Doris topics - but political discussions are always pretty tense :lol:

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Another thing about the religious right political segment which I find hypocritical is their attitude toward one of God's greatest creations: the earth. You'd think they'd WANT to protect and nurture God's work. But to them it's all about protecting and nurturing the corporations which are raping, pillaging and decimating the earth and our environment. Drill, deforest, polute, as long as it's good for business. But don't do anything pro-environment, because that would hurt business. :? Until recently they didn't even believe in global warming. Now they grudgingly admit to it, but don't believe it's man-made. Anything to avoid hurting business in the short-term. Even if it kills God's work. :evil:
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I was just wondering , Do they show our presidential debates in other countrys, or just bits and peices ? marion or anybody ??? There is a debate tonite on the television at 9 :00 pm on all the majior networks. Just thought you might want to know in case you can watch the whole thing if availiable. Should be very interesting.
suzie

webmaster

Yes, Suzie, they are broadcast over here as well (UK) and lots of coverage in the press also. I usually read about it in the paper and watch the news items on it, rather than watch a whole debate itself. It's interesting - but not that interesting! :lol:

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

John M wrote:Another thing about the religious right political segment which I find hypocritical is their attitude toward one of God's greatest creations: the earth. You'd think they'd WANT to protect and nurture God's work. But to them it's all about protecting and nurturing the corporations which are raping, pillaging and decimating the earth and our environment. Drill, deforest, polute, as long as it's good for business. But don't do anything pro-environment, because that would hurt business. :? Until recently they didn't even believe in global warming. Now they grudgingly admit to it, but don't believe it's man-made. Anything to avoid hurting business in the short-term. Even if it kills God's work. :evil:
You are so right John - and another thing ... to me Christianity and WAR / guns for everyone also don't go together. Not at ALL!

YES - the US-election is a HUGE subject in the news over here in Germany. I work at a newspaper and even at a comparerably small one its an important every day subject. McCain and Palin would never have a chance over here ...never - I think Germany is about 70 % Obama. I think the whole of Europe is actually.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Thanks , bryan, I was just wondering. :wink: Ijust noticed your avatar bry , you are such a nut lol. That is too funny. :lol: What a great sense of humor lol.
suzie