Honouary Academy Award For Doris Day -When?

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
mikeydv
Music Master

Re: Honouary Academy Award For Doris Day -When?

Unread post by mikeydv »

A certain producer in LA is in the process right now of trying to work out a special show on tv which addresses the faults of the Academy Awards. I am told he plans to present those actors/actresses WHO SHOULD HAVE WON oscars and did not, showing the main scene from the various films for which they should have received both a nomination and an oscar. This is supposed to be a CBS-Oriented show; I am just not sure when it will be finished and shown, but I am told, in good faith, that it is currently in production. I am also told that some of the "names" that will be featured are: JUDY GARLAND, DORIS DAY, MARILYN MONROE, LANA TURNER, RITA HAYWORTH, ROCK HUDSON, CARY GRANT, PETER O'TOOLE, GENE KELLY, ALFRED HITCHCOCK, ALAN LADD, etc etc. Keep your fingers crossed!

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

Johnny wrote:I think the Academy could present the award to Doris in Carmel, California which is her home. They have made similar presentations to other actors. This is the least they could do.

I do agree that Doris does not crave the spotlight so the Academy can take the spotlight to her in 2009.

That's true; they have done that in the past...they took Mary Pickford's special achievement Oscar to her at Pickfair. But, would Doris agree to even that? I love Doris and her body of work with abandon, but I'm just not sure that she wants to be in the public eye again. If she did, I think she would have stepped out long ago.

Haymarketaddict
Forum Friend

Unread post by Haymarketaddict »

mikeydv wrote:A certain producer in LA is in the process right now of trying to work out a special show on tv which addresses the faults of the Academy Awards. I am told he plans to present those actors/actresses WHO SHOULD HAVE WON oscars and did not, showing the main scene from the various films for which they should have received both a nomination and an oscar. This is supposed to be a CBS-Oriented show; I am just not sure when it will be finished and shown, but I am told, in good faith, that it is currently in production. I am also told that some of the "names" that will be featured are: JUDY GARLAND, DORIS DAY, MARILYN MONROE, LANA TURNER, RITA HAYWORTH, ROCK HUDSON, CARY GRANT, PETER O'TOOLE, GENE KELLY, ALFRED HITCHCOCK, ALAN LADD, etc etc. Keep your fingers crossed!
I have a book called "Alternate Oscar" that exactly deals with that. Interesting but not to take to serious - for people who are "angry" with the Academys Choices ... and one film critics choices instead. He didn't award Doris with an Oscar either but he nominated her for CALAMITY and MIDNIGHT LACE and THE MAN WHO KNEW TO MUCH I believe. But then again you can agree/disagree with the Academy or with that film critic guy - but I suppose we all have different views on the Academys choices ... nobody will really agree 100 % with anything :D Still interesting book ...

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree [we will never agree 100%] but in retrospect, Doris should have been nominated for 'Love me or Leave Me' and 'Man who knew too much' & 'Teacher's Pet' - so even if she hadn't won, by the time of 'Pillow Talk' she should surely have won and perhaps had another nomination for 'Midnight Lace'.

I truly believe the Pillow Talk monination was well deserved - look again at this performance the nuances; the range of this lady, even in that scene alone at the bar with Rock [after singing Roly Poly] - when Jan is questioning Brad on his intentions = it is genius acting! 'Seamless' as Rosemary Clooney put it - and it just is so natural, that is why I don't think Doris got the credit for it that she deserved.

Finally, [and sadly] I agree too Doris probably wouldn't partake in any presenation that would involve an appearance, maybe an audio recorded message, sure, but nothing in front of the cameras, which is a shame! I so wish [and selfishly I know] this lady would get dressed to the nines, employ an ace photographer and show the world what she really looks like now - going by those who know - sensational still!