Romance on the High Seas

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "Romance on the High Seas"?

Poor
No votes
Average
3%
Good
23%
Excellent
73%

Total votes: 64

Daisy June

Re: Romance on the High Seas

Unread post by Daisy June »

I have watched this movie so many times and I love it. Her first movie was a hit. When she sang "It's Magic", it was.
That song gives me goose bumps everytime I hear Doris sing it . I've heard several singers sing this song but they can't sing it like Doris. She was so funny in this movie and was just a natural from the very start and the rest is history.

sunnyDAY

Unread post by sunnyDAY »

I just saw this a few weeks ago for the first time...and loved it!

I know I'm repeating everyone but I was also amazed at Doris' talent for acting in her very first film. Some actors/actresses in thier first film have small roles or not even credited. And here she is starring in it and from this film became one of the biggest stars ever!

I love her comedic timing in this and of course her beautiful singing.

My favorite quote:
(Jack Carson's character asks something along the lines if she is as hungry as he is)

Doris: (In a high class kind of voice) "I could eat a cow!" :mrgreen:
~ Have a sunny DAY!! ~

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I am amazed at how easily doris makes her film debut. Doris is a natural . :wink: You would have thought that doris had a couple dozen movies under her belt , she was so good.
suzie

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

You wouldnt have guessed that this was doris' first movie.Singers seem to fit into acting with ease, I guess they are not too different when it comes right down to it. Most singers can act, not all, but most. NO one does it better than doris. :wink:

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Your so right, bill, singers (at least the great ones Like frank s. and doris ) make wonderful actors.
suzie

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Unread post by ellenarden »

This is probably one of the finest "first" movies ever made. Not one acting lesson. Nada. What we have here is complete, natural, god-given talent. It still amazes me that this woman never won an Oscar.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Ellen, and I LOVE your avitar!

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Jas - The avatar was pilfered from a picture I found on this site. I had never seen this picture before and loved it immediately. It's such a classy shot.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I think the pic was taken by the acclaimed photographer Terry O'Neill. I was surprised to read [somewhere?] Terry O'Neill stating Doris did not care for his photos of her [or someting along those lines] - and I can't believe [if true] it was in relation to that pic - as it is adorable! Taken circa 1987 I think when Doris cut her hair short again.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Jas, dosnt doris look darling in that photo ? I just love her in her short hair cuts. Makes her look so young. I wonder why she didnt like the photos ?? Doris looks great to me. Like Ellen said , very classy indeed. :wink:
As for the topic, I think im going to watch roths again real soon, what a great first effort.
suzie

ellenarden
Forum Friend

Does anybody happen to have a line on the rest of the photos from the shoot with Terry O'Neill?
I'd love to see what other shots were taken that day.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen »

I love the avatar too. Not only does she look classy - should I say it? She looks sexy.
The Doris Day Show

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I don't have the photos or the link, but we have seen them before, the ones with Doris in a white polo neck top/ jeans/ brown boots/ short hair - one is standing beside a dog, the other is a top body shot waving [all are great] but I wonder were there others she didn't care for as these ones are top notch and she looks fab!

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Didn't Terry O'Neill take the shot they used for LIFE magazine in '87? It was a special issue about the movies. The shot they used was Doris standing in her garden, with her dogs, wearing jeans and a light blue pullover with a white turtleneck underneath. Same short hair. See the link below.

http://s1.tinypic.com/4c06def_th.jpg

If I recall correctly, this was mentioned in the Kaufman book. Some disagreement between Doris and O'Neill about the day she agreed to shoot the photos. Not clear on the details. Nevertheless, I love the shots he took and agree, she looks FAB in the avatar here. I like this look for her.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Michael,

Yes, that is [one] of the other photos I was thinking of - and I love it too, all of them!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

I do love this film, but always thought that doris and jack were an unlikely pair. Strangely enough they dated quite seriously there for awhile too. They just dont seem to fit, she bright and beautiful and he an average looker and somewhat down hearted type fellow, I guess opposites do attract. Maybe doris being "new " in the movies was a tad bit star struck over him , who knows ? All in all a very exellent first movie for our darling girl. :wink:
suzie

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

suzie wrote:I do love this film, but always thought that doris and jack were an unlikely pair. Strangely enough they dated quite seriously there for awhile too. They just dont seem to fit, she bright and beautiful and he an average looker and somewhat down hearted type fellow, I guess opposites do attract. Maybe doris being "new " in the movies was a tad bit star struck over him , who knows ? All in all a very excellent first movie for our darling girl. :wink:
I always thought that they were an unlikely pair too. He was probably cast when Betty Hutton was considered for the part. When you read in Her Own Story about them dating, it seemed like she felt sorry for him.
The Doris Day Show

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Genius, pure genius! I'm watching this right now!!

I think Janis Paige looked WAY better in this movie, than she did in Please Don't Eat The Daisies..
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

Vicki M

Unread post by Vicki M »

I think Doris and Jack were two lonely souls finding comfort in each other. He was kind to her and very helpful.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Yes, Vicki ,I think you got it right..
suzie

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

You are right Viki
The Doris Day Show

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Doris talked about how much Jack had helped her and how underrated as an actor he was - explaining that comedy is much more difficult than drama because it's 'unreal'. I thought he was brilliant in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I agree Bryan and also in Star is Born. Love the extras on the latter dvd - showing all the stars arriving - eventually Doris and Marty arrive and she asks Jack 'are you nervous' - as he introduces them all for tv cameras.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I watched this movie for the first time last night. I LOVED it!!! What a wonderful first roll for Doris. This was the perfect first roll for her because it's a part that's not too demanding, and gets to play a singer! She was natural. Nothing fake about this talented woman. Her singing is the best. I can see why she got so popular so quickly. I look forward to watch other of her movies I haven't seen yet. :D

sunnygail
Forum Friend

Unread post by sunnygail »

Littlepinetree, How right you are,Doris is such a natural. Doris acted as if she had done it all of her life.ROTHS is a fantastic first effort, wow what a voice and wow what an actress. Hope you get a chance to watch all of her movies.