Story behind the photo

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Glorious Day

Re: Story behind the photo

Unread post by Glorious Day »

Spot on...

Dated March26 Actors LR Doris Day Gregory Peck Ronald Reagan Paul Newman Joanne Woodward Cary Grant and Sophia Loren listening to Director Parker during rehearsals for 30th annual Academy Awards show at the RKO Pantages theate

Glorious Day

When and where is this?
Attachments
Dodo.jpg
Dodo.jpg (53.7 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Glorious, I love your avatar .

I wonder if Doris was ever nervous at presenting awards ? Most likely just pretended to be acting so she would not get to nervous. Louise Mandrell said she used to act like she was someone other than herself while she was performing, and that way she could let loose and relax and have fun. I know Doris said in her book that she had to get "up " for the awards as if preparing for a role. Isnt that neat ? I think its smart .
suzie

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Glorious Day wrote:When and where is this?
Im not sure about this photo Glorious ? I would guess around The man who knew to much time . Not sure . Maybe jas1 knows for sure. Maybe "Julie " also, maybe on the set of one of these movies ??
suzie

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Is this in England during The Man Who knew Too Much? I'm guessing a party or dinner with her british fans.
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Glorious Day

daybyday08 wrote:Is this in England during The Man Who knew Too Much? I'm guessing a party or dinner with her british fans.

Hey you are too good for this game...lol...I need to dig out my old Doris pix :o)

This is Doris at the reception at Claridges Hotel in London, April 1955.

Suzie, I have also read that Marilyn Monroe used to put on her Marilyn face and attitude when she went out. She used to transform herself mentally and physically into the screen goddess everyone expected her to be. I guess it is true to a certain degree for all of us, we all put on a more confident facade when we go for interviews or when we walk into a room full of people.

Doris always sounds so calm, collected and very comfortable in all the interviews that I have heard. Infact she is so comfortable that she sometimes says hang on and deals with her doggies fighting or being naughty in the background!!!!! before continuing with the interview. However that is over the phone and one is always more comfortable in one's own surroundings. To go and present an award must be terrifying. To know that so so so many people are watching you completely is well not my cup of tea...lol....I would probably be sick beforehand.....and I have been ....lol.....but once you are up there everything is ok....

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I don't think she looks depressed at all [in the pic sitting at the bar], just deep in thought! Must have been a Western theme!

Re- Photo above- this is exactly the dress Doris wore on her 1957 'What's My Line' appearance - so my guess is that is where [and when] it was taken.

CokieCola

Unread post by CokieCola »

This one might be too easy, so I'll make it a little more challenging with three questions....Doris is modeling a dress here.

1. What year is it?
2. What was the event/movie the dress was designed for?
3. Who designed it?
Doris White Gown.jpg
Doris White Gown.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Good question!

Looks circa "Midnight Lace" - was it the premier?

Was Irene the designer?

Don't know the year without looking it up - 1962?

Jas probably knows! :wink:
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

CokieCola

webmaster wrote:Good question!

Looks circa "Midnight Lace" - was it the premier?

Was Irene the designer?

Don't know the year without looking it up - 1962?

Jas probably knows! :wink:
You're right on the designer...it was Doris' favorite, Irene. And, it does involve "Midnight Lace", but it wasn't for the premier.

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Is it at the fashion show sequence when Doris modeled the clothes?
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I believe the dress was made for Midnight Lace, but she liked it so much, that she also wore it to a premier of another movie while Midnight Lace was still being shot?
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I think it might have been "Please Don't Eat the Daisies"?
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

The dress above was designed by Irene for Doris to wear to the Oscars in 1960 when she was nominated for Pillow Talk. She liked the dress so much, she included it in her screen wardrobe for the film she was making at the time - Midnight Lace.

By the premier of Midnight Lace - Doris had her hair cut shorter in a paige boy sort of style.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

A little switch on your post, Jas. As I recall it, the dress was designed by Irene for the film, "Midnight Lace." Doris liked it so much that she decided to wear it to the Oscars.
Like Irene Dunne done.

CokieCola

Jas1 wrote:The dress above was designed by Irene for Doris to wear to the Oscars in 1960 when she was nominated for Pillow Talk. She liked the dress so much, she included it in her screen wardrobe for the film she was making at the time - Midnight Lace.

By the premier of Midnight Lace - Doris had her hair cut shorter in a paige boy sort of style.

Jas is right! According to the caption with the photo, she wore the dress to the Oscars in April 1960, when she was nominated for Pillow Talk. She liked the dress, and used it again in Midnight Lace. Even with 3 questions, it wasn't challenging enough for Jas!

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Jas and bryan and howard really know their Doris Day stuff. :wink: They are the experts I always turn to. :wink:
suzie