Doris Day: General Discussion 2

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Re: Doris Day: General Discussion 2

Unread post by pillowtalk »

I love the new banner! So pretty. I love her 1940's look with the long hair. :D
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Has anyone bought the Doris and Rock movie box set ? And if so is there any bonus features on it ? My cousin has purchased it for me but it hasnt arrived as of yet . :D
suzie

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Love your banner Bryan, I do love her hairstyle at that time, but even now she looks great, despite her age !

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks Puck - and I agree with you!

I'm trying to work out a photo album for the forum where people can upload photos and folders from their computer.

http://dorisday.net/gallery/

Haven't had time to personalise it yet but it should still work as it is.
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

webmaster

I've uploaded a few to test it and it works fine if anyone wants to contribute:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2690

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Unread post by BabeWilliams »

Just wanted to pop in and say I like your new avatar Bryan.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Yeah, I look dammed (sorry, Megan) sexy, don't I? (Probably driving all you girls (and boys) wild.) :)

I used to have the hairstyle but never the outfit - I really want one! Anyone know where I can get one? :wink:

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Maybe some kind of Halloween place. :wink:
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

webmaster

I'd probably end up in a mental asylum - but I think I'd feel quite at home there. :)

"Pillow Talk" was on one of the channels when I switched on the TV this afternoon - I'd seen it on another channel a few weeks earlier so I didn't want to watch it again so soon - but I couldn't help a quick look.
Doris and Rock were driving along, smiling at one another, with "Possess Me" playing in the background.
I grinned as I thought 'Soon she's going to be crying all the way back to New York with Tony Randall saying, 'You've been crying for 60 miles!' and slapping her at the truck stop - and getting punched himself for doing it! That was very funny - and I read he said that Doris really cried through all the takes!

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

webmaster wrote:Yeah, I look dammed (sorry, Megan) sexy, don't I? (Probably driving all you girls (and boys) wild.) :)
Oh yes, for sure. It's alright, I don't mind that language much anymore. I can't help but do it sometimes, it just slips out. It just gets so easy when you're hearing it all the time.
Megan
-----------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Dr. Seuss

webmaster

Doris said 'Damn' a lot (I saw the out-takes from The Doris Day Show!). But we're not in the dark ages any more and, as the good book says, (not that I follow all of/most of it but I try to be 'good') God looks at the heart, while most people look at the outside.

This is true in life - people say things (especially politicians, bankers, the woman or man next door) they don't really mean (dishonesty alert!!!) and you can tell they are lying through their teeth anyway! So I think it's what you are like inside - not that any of us will ever be perfect.

End of sermon.

Where were we?

I think it's good having a 'general conversation' - I think a lot of the new topics have decreased - makes it easier to keep up.

Next topic? Oh no, not best hairstyles again! :)

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

It is indeed the heart that really counts. However a man in a cute little cap and tights is always interesting as well lol. :D In all seriousness I wish the world were full of Bryan jameses, ive always found bry to be a man of his word and very fair in every way, thank you Bryan for this wonderful forum (even though it has caused you some stress at times ) it is very much appreciated. I love Doris Day and have loved her all of my life, and this forum gives me the chance to visit with you wonderful Doris fans . :D
suzie

webmaster

That's really sweet of you to say that, Suzie. I always think of you as being very positive too. Someone who likes to give to others rather than complain - not that many people complain on here. :wink:

There are so many nice people who visit this site - even the ones we've fallen out with are very sincere in their opinions and are only doing what they think is right, so I try to remember that.

The Doris Day story is not over yet, as I've just been listening to A.E. Hotcher on The E True Hollywood Story about her (which I'm going to share in the next couple of days), who said "She's a modern day Greta Garbo, she'll never be seen again." That comment hit me, rather like I said to Mike recently, "Face it, she'll never make a film again." And that was about 5 years ago. When I say 'It's not over yet', I suppose I mean she's with us now but for how long? (Don't go there!)

Being a philosopher, I'm also thinking that we are, in some way, in love with an image that doesn't exist any more that wasn't real in the first place!

So, as Doris said, 'How do you like them apples?!

But we still love her - like you love those close to you without being able to explain why exactly.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Doris will go on living forever through her films, records, TV shows and most significantly through her ground-breaking charity work on behalf of the animal population. She changed the way most of the world viewed animals in my opinion, and she gave them a voice, a rallying cry they could not articulate for themselves.

I don't think anyone, including those of us who openly adore her, fully grasp the power of her legacy. Just the mention of her name, Doris Day, brings a warm smile to the coldest of hearts. And she has remained true to herself and her convictions. She has not compromised any of her core values or leveraged her fame for anything except making the world a better place for the animals.

How many other stars can you say that about?

Michael H
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

Just found out some exciting news. April In Paris and Starlift will be on tv in the US on TCM. On April 5th at 8:00 pm April in Paris will be on. And on April 5th at 10:00 PM Starlift will be on!!! I'll be recording these for sure!
Megan
-----------------

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Unread post by littlepinetree »

I feel the very same way Donna. She got a little older, and the look of wisdom is beautiful.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

webmaster wrote:That's really sweet of you to say that, Suzie. I always think of you as being very positive too. Someone who likes to give to others rather than complain - not that many people complain on here. :wink:

There are so many nice people who visit this site - even the ones we've fallen out with are very sincere in their opinions and are only doing what they think is right, so I try to remember that.

The Doris Day story is not over yet, as I've just been listening to A.E. Hotcher on The E True Hollywood Story about her (which I'm going to share in the next couple of days), who said "She's a modern day Greta Garbo, she'll never be seen again." That comment hit me, rather like I said to Mike recently, "Face it, she'll never make a film again." And that was about 5 years ago. When I say 'It's not over yet', I suppose I mean she's with us now but for how long? (Don't go there!)

Being a philosopher, I'm also thinking that we are, in some way, in love with an image that doesn't exist any more that wasn't real in the first place!

So, as Doris said, 'How do you like them apples?!

But we still love her - like you love those close to you without being able to explain why exactly.
Couldnt have said it better myself. Pretty much sums it all up in the nut shell. The last line in your post bryan ,is how almost all of us on the forum feel.Doris does not have to be perfect, she is after all a human being, made of flesh and blood and imperfect as we all are. We love her anyway, we love the image put forth weather intentional or not and we care about this lovely woman . Somehow even though I have never met her in person, I feel as though I have known her all of my life.And , Yes I do love her.
suzie

webmaster

To change the subject for a minute (yes, we know that you are a BIG Doris fan, Samantha! :) )

I'm just testing out a new function to make links open in a new window:

http://www.magic63.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes it works! That took me ages but it's fun learning (when it works).

I've made a few security adjustments too - nobody should be able to see the member list now - even members - but you can still view profiles. Sometimes these lists can be used by unscrupulous people to send spam and unwanted emails.

With a few more tweaks to prevent spam, people can now register again - I think we lost a few while it was closed even though we tried to register them manually it didn't always work.

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Unread post by suzie »

Thanks a million Bryan, it works yippy , I cant hardly wait. The broadcast is so 8)
suzie

BabeWilliams
Honorary Member

I'm soooo excited! I hope the radio hosts don't talk over Doris again like last year :x
Megan
-----------------

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Unread post by Theodomus »

I'm just testing out a new function to make links open in a new window:

http://www.magic63.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes it works! That took me ages but it's fun learning (when it works).
Bryan, that's great. I have been meaning to ask if that is possible for quite some time but always forgot. I'm getting old... ;)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

howard
Special Contributer

Liz Smith Column

Unread post by howard »

Our buddy, Liz Smith gave Doris a nice plug the other day. Check it out. Also, scroll down to the reader comments at the bottom. Very nice:

http://www.wowowow.com/entertainment/li ... ers-256070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like Irene Dunne done.

Theodomus
Honorary Member

Re: Liz Smith Column

Unread post by Theodomus »

Wonderful comments, and so right. :-)
Marion

----------
You are precisely my cuppa tea

suzie
Forum Big Sister

Re: Liz Smith Column