My new Shutterfly web site with photos of Doris

Pics and images posted by Forum members
Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

My new Shutterfly web site with photos of Doris

Unread post by Lauren Benjamin »

Hi everyone:

I have created a new web site at Shutterfly.com specifically so that I can upload photos of Doris.

Here is the link: http://dorisdayphotos.shutterfly.com

As it says at the top of the site, you'll be notified here at the forum when I add photos.

I uploaded some photos of Doris that you probably have not seen before, although what she is wearing is probably familiar. Jason, a long-time fan of Doris' sent me those photos. They were taken at the Actors and Others for Animals 1973 event. Doris was taking a break and he visited with her for a while and a friend took the photos. Doris commented to him that she thought he was very handsome. I think you'll agree. He even managed to plant a kiss on her cheek! Quite a memorable Day for Jason.

The photos are in a strip. You might be able to change the format but I'm not sure. It's all new to me.

I hope you'll enjoy.

Lauren

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Re: My new Shutterfly web site with photos of Doris

Unread post by littlepinetree »

Boy oh boy, I love these pictures! I see we can order some pictures! I sure would like to order some!
And, I'm so glad you came back to this forum, and with lots of Doris goodies!!! :D

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Those photos are great, Lauren. Thanks for sharing!
Like Irene Dunne done.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Lauren,
the photos of Doris with Jason are really great - you had shared some of them with me a long time ago and it is nice to see so many more - you can see that Jason is on cloud 9 and Doris seems to really be having a fun time...my only comment is that these are from the 1974 Actors and Others for Animals event, not the 1973. The 1973 one was when she was still wearing a wrapped bandaged hand from the dog incident earlier. These are definitely from 1974 - I was there. I thought Doris looked fabulous - loved that hair style which was so becoming to her - the semi-page boy look - a real classic look. While Jason definitely looks 70-ish, Doris looks radiant and timeless. It could easily be a look for today in 2009, not 35 years ago. Wow, where does time go these days???
Thanks for sharing them with all of us...so glad you are back in the saddle on the forum!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

FYI - My avatar is the photo of Doris and me from the 1973 Actors and Others for Animals event.

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

GREAT pics! THanks to Jason for sharing them with Lauren, and thanks to Lauren for sharing them and her new Doris photo site! 8)

Again, even in candid snapshots, Doris' smile is beyond radiant. :D
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

I can see it now - really cool! 8) Just having a look around..
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Oooooooops!!!! Again I made a mistake. Good thing Mary Anne was there so she can correct my errors.
I get those dates mixed up. Yes, I know you were there, MA, as I have your home movie of the event!! It is a FANTASTIC, marvelous home movie of Doris that you made at both events - one in 1973 and 1974.

I also have a photo of you there in the background standing right behind Doris with Mary Wicks, I think - helping as Doris is trying to auction some items from her films to a large audience. Rachie Rael was there also. I may post that photo - I found it on the net so it's public domain. So, if someone would like to know what Rachie looked like they can see a photo of her.

At any rate - the purpose of me posting those photos of Doris with Jason is that they are photos that fans have not seen before and they are casual pics of Doris.

Here is the photo of Doris with Mary Anne in the background. I found it on the net so it's public domain. Why anyone would photograph Doris in black and white is beyond me.

[URL=http://img34.imageshack.us/i/actor ... .jpg[/img]
[/url]

Or...here: http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt26 ... edia_share
Lauren

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

The site looks great, love the pictures!!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Added photos to Shutterfly

I have added a new album to Shutterfly called "Connie and Doris - 1980."

Connie, a fan of Doris', met her in front of her home in Beverly Hills. She gave Doris some daisies. At the same time, Doris received a bird in a cage from a long-time friend. The gentleman carrying the bird cage is Doris' long-time employee, Sydney. Terry is seen in one of the photos.

I hope you enjoy these darling photos.

Lauren

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Re: Added photos to Shutterfly

Love the pictures!!! I want to order some of the prints!
Thanks so much for sharing! :D

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great pics!

Yes, Doris' look at the Actors & Others...Event is timeless: she looks amazing. Jason looks great too, could have been a new leading man - 1970s style, for Doris, had she continued in films at this time.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Pinetree~

Just save them to your hard drive. I have put them up for the public (fans on Bryan's forum) to see. I just assume that they will be copied. I don't mind. They have been sitting in my photo album for years. So, others should enjoy them now. Time is moving on. I'm trying to get as much of my Doris Day stuff uploaded for all to enjoy as I may have to leave the forum again due to work constraints.

Click on the photos to make them as large as you can. Then right or left click (depends on your computer) and click on "Save As" and then save them to a folder on your hard drive.

I would just hope that they stay on people's hard drives and not go too far out into the ether - but I have no control over that once they are on the net.

Enjoy!
Lauren

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

Thanks Lauren. Great pics. I especially love the one with Terry.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Lauren's Shutterfly - added more albums 9-13-09

I've added another album to Shutterfly. The address is: http://dorisdayphotos.shutterfly.com

The new album contains photos of fans with Doris. There is a description there. Don't forget that you can make the photos larger by clicking on each one.

Lauren

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Re: Lauren's Shutterfly - added more albums 9-13-09

Oh boy, more Doris Goodies! :D Love the pictures as always!

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

Thank you Lauren, love the pitcure you put on the forum, thank you for sharing

Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Lauren's Shutterfly - added more albums 9-13-09

Unread post by Jas1 »

Great pics; a real joy to see!

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

The photos are WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so very very much for putting them up! Doris looks wonderful. :D It's also very nice to see all of the fans in the photos with Doris. It amazes me that Doris was so accessible to her fans back in the 70's through the 90's. Oh how I wish I would have been able to be out there in California during that time to meet her.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Diane:

Who is that adorable baby in your Avitar?

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

New upload to Shutterfly: The Doris Day Convention

Folks~
I understand that I am uploading things very quickly here but I'm doing this while I have the time.

I have uploaded photos from the Doris Day Convention, which was held in Carmel in 1987. A few of us from this forum attended this wonderful event - Ray and Howard were there as well as myself. Howard has been a great help in providing additional photos. Thanks, Howard!! If anyone else has additional photos of this event to add, please contact me.

There is a 90 minute tape of Doris answering questions and discussing her career that was recorded that day. I've lost my original, but hope to get another copy eventually. If that happens, I hope that I can share that with you also at some time.

Some background on the convention:
The convention was organized by Mike Doyle, who was the president of the Doris Day Collectors started in 1980. He and Joe Niagra (a DJ from the Philadelphia area) planned the event together with Doris' help. Joe and his wife flew to Carmel from Philadelphia.

Mrs. Ted Nash was in attendance along with Connie Edney, Doris' wardrobe person during her series. Also
attending was Meg Howard, Doris' assistant, who was off that day.

Also there was Don Chang, who was a noted authority on Doris' singing career and sought after for his expertise around the world. Doris showed her appreciation for Don's work with a kiss on his cheek, which
you'll see among the photos.

I hope you'll enjoy photos of this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

http://dorisdayphotos.shutterfly.com

Lauren

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Jas1 wrote:Diane:

Who is that adorable baby in your Avitar?
Hi Jas,
Thanks for asking....this is my little girl "Sunny"....I lost her July 14, 2006 to cancer. She was dropped off at a shelter by her ORIGINAL owner of 10 years BUT fortunately pulled and came into foster care with me shortly after. I only had her for just over a year....but she was my beautiful Angel.

Thanks for asking --
Diane
(didn't mean to get off topic Bryan)
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Those photos at the DD Convention bring back wonderful memories. I made many good, lasting friendships there, and of course, being with Doris was the icing on the cake. What a time it was. If you haven't seen the recently added pictures yet, check it out on dorisdayphotos.shutterfly.com
Like Irene Dunne done.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Diane:
She is beautiful and I am so sad to hear she is no longer with you. However, what we should [try] to do is appreciate what little time we do have with our wonderful animals [and people too for that matter]. Watching a documentary recently on the horror of 9-11; a mother who had lost her 33 year old son spoke with such wisdom and strangth and dignity when she said she could be so angry and so bitter and think 'why did I only have him for 33 years' - however, she chooses to think another way and thank God to have had her son for 33 years and to have the wonderful memories to revisit. Not an easy way to think / behave; but a much more healthy way if one can achieve it.

PICS:
The pics of the 1987 are great to see. I too had the tape of the question and answers although I wasn't lucky enough to have been there. I don't know where the tape is now but it was really good. Doris started by referring to the weather saying it was a 'lovely day' to which the crowd applauded: a lovely 'DAY' alright!

She also talked about Mitzi Gaynor going all out to get South Pacific; wouldn't talk about whether Murder She Wrote had been offered to her [but more or less admitted it had and was surprised people knew about it]. She was also asked who she liked singing and mentioned June Christy and Anita O'Day. Someone asked her if she was related to Anita O'Day - [causing her and most of the crowd to laugh].

She introduced Connie Edney and talked about the wonderful clothes on her TV show - Connie said she learnt to be so detailed when working with Orry Kelly on 'Some Like it Hot'. Doris also introduced her first stand-in - married to one of the guys in Les Brown's band - and caused laughter when she said neither of them knew where they were going on that first day and really thought they were going on a cruise.

Lauren Benjamin
Honorary Member

Jas~

That 90-minute is fantastic. I'm going to work very hard to see if I can get a copy. I have my question that I asked Doris on my hard drive and I'll post that. But that's all I have.

The woman who was Doris very first stand-in was Mrs. Ted Nash, who was sitting up at the podium table. It was interesting to hear that little bit of trivia. Mr. and Mrs. Nash apparently remained friends of Doris' through the decades because Doris told about helping to find them a house in Carmel when Ted finally retired. It's my understanding that Mrs. Nash died several years ago and Ted lives in Carmel with their daughter who has an illness. Mr. Nash must be around Doris' age.

Doris kept wanting the sun to come out for us because it was a gloomy day. She would say, "Oh - there's the sun!!!" But then she's confess that, no, it wasn't the sun it was just her poor eyesight. (she didn't have her glasses and forgot to put in her contacts!)

Thanks for the memories, Jas!
Lauren