Tea For Two

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate this film

Poor
2%
Average
8%
Good
58%
Excellent
32%

Total votes: 53

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Tea For Two

Unread post by webmaster » 11 Sep 2005, 17:51

"Tea for Two" – How do you rate it?

Please visit the film page to refresh your memory and you might like to say if you agree with the review(s) or not.

http://dorisday.net/tea_for_two.html

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Vinton

Photoplay Review

Unread post by Vinton » 11 Sep 2005, 23:27

Here's a gay musical in color, loaded with nostalgic songs of the "Twenties sung delightfully by Doris Day and Gordon MacRae...Doris dances for the first time on the screen, and brings down the house with her " I Know That You Know" number with Gene Nelson.

Vinton

Good

Unread post by Vinton » 11 Sep 2005, 23:29

I rate this film good, In fact very good!

Glorious Day

Unread post by Glorious Day » 13 Sep 2005, 18:16

This is Gordon's sixth and Doris' fifth movie and the first time they are onscreen together. I really enjoy their chemistry. They do another 4 straight after this together. Doris worked with the cream of the crop of the actors, but couple wise I think she looked beautiful and well suited with Rock Hudson, James Garner and Gordon MacRae. Eve Arden is her ususal character and she does it beautifully. It must have amazed people to see Doris dance as well as she sings. She looks cute, bubbly and just gorgeous.

Its a definite good to excellent film for me.

Ken C

Tea for Two

Unread post by Ken C » 13 Sep 2005, 20:47

I'd rate this film GOOD--- not at the top of my list.

Jas1
Honorary Member

observations

Unread post by Jas1 » 14 Sep 2005, 07:54

This is not one of my favourite DD films and that hairstyle and fashions do not do Doris any favours (she more of less admits this herself). However I love both Gene Nelson and Gordon MaCrae and the songs etc and adore Eve Arden - so maybe I should give this one another go again - it's been a while!

Leading Men - Doris also looked good with John Raitt, Louis Jordan and Rod Taylor.

Opinion of Tea For Two

Unread post by Guest » 14 Sep 2005, 21:30

I was a kid when I first saw Doris in “Tea For Two” in 1950. I had seen three of her first four pictures and had a couple of 78 rpm records of hers (“Canadian Capers” and “The Game Of Broken Hearts”) but didn’t know anything about her background and personal life. I was just simply smitten by her and loved everything she did. So when I saw her dance with Gene Nelson early in TFT, I was amazed that she could dance as well as sing and act and look wonderful all the time.

I really liked this movie at that age and time. Doris got top billing for the first time and had a handsome leading man in Gordon MacRae and a handsome dance partner in Nelson. It was good to see her in Technicolor again after the black-and-white “Young Man With A Horn”. I really liked Eve Arden and S.Z. Sakal.

I haven’t seen it for a long time and I would like to see it again although I’m sure, except for the songs and dances, it would be more difficult to sit through now.

Joe

Pam~

Unread post by Pam~ » 16 Sep 2005, 23:28

This is one of D.D'S movies that shows all her wonderful and outstanding abilities i.e Dancing, Singing, Acting/Comedy. For this type of a movie, I vote "Good".....Very...Very...."Good!" :D

Pam~

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 28 Nov 2005, 13:27

I also was impressed with Doris' dancing. This is the first film were I relized how good she was at it. Her voice was beautiful as always.

brianfellows

Unread post by brianfellows » 01 Dec 2005, 16:04

I rated this film as "Good". Not "excellent", but better than "average".
Doris was great as always and how wonderfully she sings and acts with Gordon MacRae and how brilliantly she dances with Gene Nelson. There is real "chemistry" there, unlike her awful relationship with Ray Polger in "April in Paris" which (sorry) I hated.
The main thing wrong with this film was the "crazy" and farfetched plot which I tried hard to ignore. Just put all the songs and dances together and cut out the rest and that would do fine for me.
"Calamity Jane" is still my favourite musical by far (that opening sequence leaves me breathless!) followed by "By the light of the silvery moon".

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 07 Dec 2005, 09:20

Hi Everyone,

Yes, I agree with you Brian, Tea For Two is not as good as "Jane". But as you say, the singing and dancing are great, and so is the chenistry. Of couse, I haven't seen a movie that Doris wasn't good in. I love all the actors in Tea. I also heard this was Robert Wagner's first film.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Robert Wagner?

Unread post by ray » 08 Dec 2005, 12:38

Robert Wagner was not in Tea For Two. I was told he was a big star by this time, Angie Dickinson did have a small bit part in I believe Lucky Me.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 09 Dec 2005, 07:17

Hi Ray,

I read this information a long time ago so it might not be acuate. He would have been 20 years old, so i don't know who he could have been. I can't find any other information about his first film. The first one I found listed was in 1954.
The Doris Day Show

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 05 May 2007, 23:25

Well - she was just a doll !!
Not the best script - story got a little out of hand with all the cast at her mansion running amok ! And some of the songs without Doris were not to my liking. But -- it was great to see Doris DANCE ! And she was great with Gordan Macrae and Gene Nelson... and Billy DeWolfe and S.Z. Sakall. Eve Arden is always fun. She has a great delivery !
Doris was so good in her songs and dancing with Gene Nelson. So - I will always watch this one.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 09 Dec 2007, 19:43

Two candid photos -

Doris getting help with her costume by her mother and wardrobe lady.

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Trailer on TCM

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 14 Jan 2008, 06:55

Hi there,

For those of you who haven't seen this trailer before... (I hadn't until now) Didn't know that there was a special song written for this trailer.

http://www.tcm.com/video/videoPlayer/?c ... spid=45686

P

Barb_DDD
Famous Quilt Maker

Unread post by Barb_DDD » 14 Jan 2008, 11:10

I haven't seen that one before. That was cool.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 14 Jan 2008, 19:42

Thanks Peter, hand't seen that either, very much enjoyed it.

c.j

Unread post by c.j » 15 Jan 2008, 02:52

The Dancing, Singing and the cast Swell just swell..

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 10 Mar 2008, 07:41

Thank you Peter, love the trailer, even the movie.
Hope the picture is't too big.

littlepinetree
Forum Friend

Re: Tea For Two

Unread post by littlepinetree » 04 May 2009, 20:45

I'm surprised I loved this movie!!
The dancing is unbelievable! Also, Doris looked adorable. The clothes, Wow!
I found this movie very entertaining! :D

nay cueto

Unread post by nay cueto » 01 Aug 2010, 16:45

ooooohhh i've always wanted to see this movie, but i just can't find it!! do any of you know where could i see it?

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 05 Aug 2010, 01:25

There are clips to see on YouTube and can buy it on the internet, like Ebay or this link.
http://www.ioffer.com/i/Tea-For-Two-DVD ... e-14570964.

melancholy
Honorary Member

Unread post by melancholy » 23 Jan 2011, 19:55

Loved the movie,saw it today,wonderful dancing together.
Dorine
As we journey under our individual umbrella's,we should not forget we all share the same sky.Doris Day

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk » 01 Feb 2011, 01:31

Great picture, Dorine! Tea for Two is an adorable movie, and the dancing is incredible!
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~