Factor Video

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day: General Discussion 3

Unread post by Jas1 »

Diane
Much as I'd love to be that Irish man who sends Doris tea: I am not!

Doris did mention the fact that an Irish man sends her tea and she loves it [this was during the Magic63 birthday call in on April 3 2008 when I was lucky enough to give a very brief message to Doris and for ever will treasure the fact she called me 'that charmingIrish man' when she called in some time after my call].

daybyday08
Honorary Member
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Oh! I thought that was you that sent her the tea. That sure was a great and exciting day,l istening to that wonderful radio broadcast. I can't wait until this year!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Unread post by Day&MacRae »

Did any one here any thing about a tribute album to Doris? It was on the radio last night. I guess there coming out with a new album. But, I could be wrong. I only herd ten seconds of it. I had to go to ballet. I wish I could have listened to it! Did any one ell’s from PA here that? They were playing “Too Marvelous For Words”. :wink:
~Kimberly~

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

You must be referring to Nellie McKay's tribute album to Doris entitled "Normal as Blueberry Pie."
Like Irene Dunne done.

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

Yes, that’s it Howard! When is it coming out? Or has already come out? Hahah! Tells you how much I know! Lol! :lol:
~Kimberly~

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Don't know if anyone caught Gore Vidal on Hollywood:

A conversation with Gore Vidal; or, The Musings of the Most Hateful Old Man on Earth
Q: Hollywood once provided protection for some of its people. For example, Rock Hudson was heterosexual to the public until 1985, when he announced he had AIDS.
Studios protect big moneymakers. The movies with Rock Hudson and Doris Day were profitable. Each star was given the Sheriff’s telephone number to say, “Lay off.” The Sheriff wasn’t going to go fucking around with the talent. They were the income of Hollywood.
Q: During the 1970s, Warren Beatty, Jack Nicholson, and producer Robert Evans were celebrated for lifestyles of sexual extravagance.
Well, they’re all virgins, every last one of them. I can testify to that. And the last one you mentioned, he’s a super virgin.
Q: They’ve certainly never been criticized and condemned for their sexual excesses. But Polanski was condemned even before he pled guilty.l.
Well, believe it or not, anti-Semitism is very strong out here, even though this is a Jewish business. L.B. Mayer was the worst anti-Semite of all.
But he was Jewish.
Well, Mayer’s view was, “The public will turn on all of us if they know that one of us has done anything.”
http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_p ... 73971.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck »

The WNYC, interview " Behind the girl next door" Oct, 28, 2009

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck/ep ... 2009/10/28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Day&MacRae wrote:Did any one here any thing about a tribute album to Doris? It was on the radio last night. I guess there coming out with a new album. But, I could be wrong. I only herd ten seconds of it. I had to go to ballet. I wish I could have listened to it! Did any one ell’s from PA here that? They were playing “Too Marvelous For Words”. :wink:
This was a while ago, but yes I heard it too. :D
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

The album is out
The album is good
She (Nellie M) does NOT try to copy Doris's style.
Instead, she sings the songs as a loving tribute to Doris.
It is a wonderful thing for Doris, and I bet she likes it, too.

webmaster

Cool Mike - I was thinking of getting it - all those lovely songs too.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I bought it, and recommend it. She's a good singer, the arrangements are easy on the ears, and any friend of DD's is a friend of mine. If it helps to bring more attention to DD's great music ... wonderful!
Like Irene Dunne done.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Nellie sure has been getting a lot of notice - get several "Google Alerts" a day and many are about her new album...what is great that we have even more interest in what Doris has done - with the plays, books, music, etc., and then the recent Doris Day Festival - isn't is great to know that there is a resurgence of interest in the work of our Doris?
The young people are hungry for a wholesome image to admire. Doris certainly fits the bill.
"The BEST is yet to come."

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I think it's awesome that the young people are discovering Doris without all the PR baggage from the late 60s and 70s, i.e. 40-year-old-virgin, out-of-date, etc. All they're seeing is a great talent. There's no BS around a supposed "image" for the people finding her today. I love that.
"I wouldn't bring up Paris if I were you. It's poor salesmanship."
- Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Day&MacRae
Forum Friend

webmaster wrote: I was thinking of getting it - all those lovely songs too.
Ya, it sounds great! I’m thinking about getting one.
~Kimberly~

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

I loved Nellie McKays album tribute to Doris, her choice of material was interesting. Take a second listen to "Crazy Rythm" on "Normal As Blueberry Pie". Nellie sounds like Doris Day in her early jazzy years. It's like she channeled Doris in this song! I find it interesting that Doris was influenced by Ella Fitzgerald and you can pick up on that in early Doris songs, and that Nellie McKay was influenced by Doris Day, and in turn, you can really detect that in this song "Crazy Rhythm". shoo shoo!

webmaster

Thanks Toby, that's interesting. I hope more people will feedback when they have heard it. 'Normal As Blueberry Pie' by Doris is very interesting - strange term to use, I know - I think it was because she wasn't in the film (South Pacific) so it feels slightly disjointed - but she sings it in her own unique way and I really like it. I'll upload it soon for people who haven't heard it.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

I think it is common knowledge and a foregone conclusion that when the film was first discussed, every one's first choice to play the role of Nellie Forbush was Doris. It was her greedy husband that asked too much money for her services that caused her to lose what might have been the musicaL role of her life.
Years later, with lots of water over the dam, those who were involved with the film were asked if they could do it over.........??????? Their response was: "We would have used Doris Day AT ANY COST". And when you hear her sing "Wonderful Guy" or "Happy Talk", you KNOW they were right!
Never was there ever a role more designed for Doris' particular talents...Her performance in that film would have been an EARMARK for all future female Musical performances on film.

webmaster

Well said, Mike, but I just wonder if she wasn't over doing musicals' by 1958 - just before she started her 'bedroom comedies' period with "Pillow Talk" the following year?

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

mikeydv wrote:Years later, with lots of water over the dam, those who were involved with the film were asked if they could do it over.........??????? Their response was: "We would have used Doris Day AT ANY COST".
Well, not the director, Joshua Logan, who said in his autobiography that he never wanted Doris for the role, as he felt "she was totally not right for it." Of course, that partially explains why his movie versions of great stage musicals suck, as witnessed by SP, Camelot and Paint Your Wagon. The man literally did not know how to cast musicals.

pillowtalk
Forum Friend

Unread post by pillowtalk »

John M wrote:
mikeydv wrote:Years later, with lots of water over the dam, those who were involved with the film were asked if they could do it over.........??????? Their response was: "We would have used Doris Day AT ANY COST".
Well, not the director, Joshua Logan, who said in his autobiography that he never wanted Doris for the role, as he felt "she was totally not right for it." Of course, that partially explains why his movie versions of great stage musicals suck, as witnessed by SP, Camelot and Paint Your Wagon. The man literally did not know how to cast musicals.
I agree; I can't stand the way Joshua Logan directed musicals. The casts were terrible, and the special effects were always really strange. I've heard he could be a real jerk too.
"New York, this is your last chance!"

~Nicki~

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I think it is a tad unfair to blame Marty Melcher entirely for Doris not getting the role in South Pacific. We must remember, Doris was at the top of her game in 1958 and her salary had to reflect this- this is how it works in Hollywood! If any blame is to be given, I would blame the powers that be that went for the cheaper option!

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

I only partially agree..because that was not the only BIG MOVIE he turned down for Doris. Think about all the possibilities, and you can't tell me that the parts were not offered: UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN (Debbie was good; Doris would have been MAGNIFICENT
MY FAIR LADY ( probably not a good one for Dd) GUYS AND DOLLS (another would be perfect role for Doris)
THE KING AND I (and she would have been doing her own singing), etc etc

Josh Logan was a creep. Something tells me that if R&H had pursued it, DD WOULD have starred in SOUTH PACIFIC, and it would have been the musical of all musicals. FORTUNATELY, WE DO HAVE "CALAMITy"

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Again, I do not think it is particularly fair to blame Marty for every great role Doris never got to play!

Let us remember, thanks to Marty, Doris did The Man Who Knew Too Much, Midnight Lace [to name a few] and I am sure he had a big hand in persuading Doris to tackle 'sexy' in Pillow Talk and he also negotiated her professional reputation and salary to great heights from the mid 1950s onwards. Yes, there were negatives, but I think the positives far outweighed them!

In coming to this view, I fully take on board what happened in the end with Doris' finances, but even she herself, in later years has stated she thinks Marty just got involed with the wrong person. Marty [by negotiating a share of the profits] meant that Doris will continue to receive film royalties for such films as Pillow Talk and beyond. I read that Lana Turner [who was on a similar deal with Ross Hunter in Immitation of Life, Portrait in Black and Madam X] - continued to receive cheques right into the 1980s for re-runs of such films - in sums ranging from $20- 45 K !

webmaster

Mike, I can't see Doris in any of the musicals you talk of - probably because the actresses involved did such a good job and made them their own, like Doris in "Calamity", and don't forget The Pajama Game, Jumbo, both under-rated, and the fantastic Love Me or Leave Me. I would like to have seen her teamed up with Gordon for Oklahoma and Carousel, and maybe with Howard Keel in Annie Get Your Gun. But you can't rewrite history, :roll:

John M
Honorary Member

Unread post by John M »

I agree with Bryan that you can't re-write history. But it is fun to play what if sometimes. I can see Doris as Sarah Brown in Guys and Dolls. She would have been great. She was definitely NOT the one for My Fair Lady, which really should have been Julie Andrews anyway. (But we can't rewrite history.)

BTW, Metro did purchase and develop The Unsinkable Molly Brown with her in mind. But sadly, the failure of Jumbo helped kill Doris getting the part in MGM's eyes. Marty had nothing to do with that.

I also agree with Jas, the real blame for South Pacific lies with Dick, Oscar (who personally produced the film) and Joshua, who all chose to go the cheap route. Had they spent the few extra bucks, they'd have a completely different film today and it would be MUCH more highly regarded.