The Thrill of it All

You are invited to rate and comment on the 39 films of Doris Day.

How do you rate "The Thrill of it All"?

Poor
1%
Average
4%
Good
14%
Excellent
81%

Total votes: 77

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

The Thrill of it All

Unread post by webmaster » 09 Jan 2006, 19:03

What do you think of "The Thrill of it All"?

http://www.dorisday.net/the_thrill_of_it_all.html
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 09 Jan 2006, 22:21

I LOVE "The Thrill of it All"...

I might even say that it's my favorite Doris movie...Doris is hilarious and beautiful...It's just a great movie.

But I'll let Ralph and the rest take over with the real 'critiquing'...you like this one, don't you Ralph?!
- Katie

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 10 Jan 2006, 01:38

I liked the Thrill of It All. You are right Katie, Doris is beautiful and funny in this one. My favorite scene is the one where Doris is practicing in the mirror and the kids walk in. The Kids were adorable and funny. I thought Arlene Fransis was sweet as the expecting mother.

howard
Special Contributer

Excellent film

Unread post by howard » 10 Jan 2006, 01:46

This one gets an "excellent" from me. It's one of her best comedies if not the very best of them. A hilarious script, great chemistry between Doris and James Garner, the kids and supporting cast were terrific ... I can't say enough ... the film works on every level. Doris looks glorious in this one, her clothes are exceptional, and she is just too funny! It starts off with bouncy Arlene Francis and just bounces right along from start to finish. Never a dull moment! LOVE IT!

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken » 10 Jan 2006, 08:17

I agree with the above post and voted excellent. Good chemistry between Doris and James Garner.I enjoyed them in Move Over Darling too .

Jas1
Honorary Member

My Thrill!

Unread post by Jas1 » 10 Jan 2006, 09:45

Excellent too from me. This one is in the top five 'always' of Doris' films. I just wish she had continued with this look through Move Over Darling - where her hairstyles and clothes do not do it for me. Script on Thrill is superb. Garner can match Miss Day stride for stride in sexiness !

JerryWebster

Unread post by JerryWebster » 15 Jan 2006, 10:18

I didn´t know what to vote: good or excellent... I finally decided excellent.
The film is excellent, in my opinion, but not as good as Pillow talk and Lover come back, so, if I rate this as "excellent", how can I rate those two? :D
I think it´s very similar to "Send me no flowers". They both were directed by Norman Jewison, weren´t they? Of course, I´m not talking about the script, but the esthetics, costumes, hairstyles... Doris is also a housewife in this one, but she´s not a supporting character, and then gets a job. I love the scene when Doris is doing her first advertisement and say the wrong words... but I suppose it would be even funnier in english, and not in spanish.

Debbi Austen
Honorary Member

Unread post by Debbi Austen » 15 Jan 2006, 10:41

"Hello, I'm Beverly Boyer, .. an I'm a pig."

Jerry, you expressed my sentiments exactly. I was torn between good and excellent too. It isn't as good as Pillow Talk.

I love James Garner, and I used to watch him in Maverick. but I didn't think the chemistry was as good as between Doris and Rock.
The Doris Day Show

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 15 Jan 2006, 11:10

JerryWebster wrote:I didn´t know what to vote: good or excellent... I finally decided excellent.
The film is excellent, in my opinion, but not as good as Pillow talk and Lover come back, so, if I rate this as "excellent", how can I rate those two? :D
I think it´s very similar to "Send me no flowers". They both were directed by Norman Jewison, weren´t they? Of course, I´m not talking about the script, but the esthetics, costumes, hairstyles... Doris is also a housewife in this one, but she´s not a supporting character, and then gets a job. I love the scene when Doris is doing her first advertisement and say the wrong words... but I suppose it would be even funnier in english, and not in spanish.
JERRYWEBSTER!?! :shock:

Where did you come from...long time no see!
- Katie

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 22 Feb 2006, 08:08

The clever script by Carl Reiner plus the strong chemistry between Doris and James Garner make this one of her best comedies. Once again they surrounded Doris with a terrific supporting cast. Arlene Francis was surprisingly good (offbeat but clever casting) as was Edward Andrews and Zasu Pitts who made the most of her brief role as the housekeeper.

Another plus is that Doris progressed to married status which removed the increasingly uncomfortable "will she or won't she" virgin question from the equation. The producers were also smart enough to toss in satirical jabs at network television / advertising without being heavy handed or preachy.

Doris made her character believable and sympathetic. And it may just be my imagination but there are definite sparks between her and Garner in the love scenes. You can't tell me they didn't have a mutual crush on each other. No wonder she brought him back for for MOD.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

It's Magic

Unread post by It's Magic » 10 Apr 2006, 09:28

The first time I saw this film,I really hated it. The next time I watched it,it pretty much became my favorite Doris Day film. I laughed a lot and it was very enjoyable. But I still hate the part where Doris and James fight. I can't stand seeing Doris mad.
I rated this movie good.

Katie

Unread post by Katie » 10 Apr 2006, 12:40

It's Magic wrote:But I still hate the part where Doris and James fight. I can't stand seeing Doris mad.
I rated this movie good.
Wow, that's funny. That scene is one of my favorites!

I think Doris is so cute and hilarious when she gets mad - it's one of the funniest parts of the movie.
- Katie

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael » 13 Dec 2006, 02:13

Doris is brilliant at getting mad. She fumes better than any other comedic actress I know. That skill is a big part of what made the line of tension work so well between her and her leading men.
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 27 Apr 2007, 18:34

Well - I love this movie. In the family situations - it is so natural and real. DD and Garner are so great together. They just seemed like they could be married. From the bath scene at the beginning on - the kids were great - as usual Doris was great with the kids - Doris and Garner were great together. And the advertising - tv - jabs were really funny.
A very enjoyable movie.
And Doris it the best at fuming !!
And - I must say I love James Garner too. He is so funny - the scene driving the car into the pool is priceless. They were so good together.
Love this movie !!
Thanks -
Toni

suzie
Forum Big Sister

my fav movie

Unread post by suzie » 27 Apr 2007, 19:17

The thrill of it all is my favorite doris movie of all time.Eveyone played their parts so well.The romantic sparks were flying between garner and doris for sure.I think thats part of what makes this movie work so well,as its very belveable.The little kids were cute as was the crazy housekeeper.I could watch this movie over and over again,its that great. :D
suzie

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 27 Jun 2007, 17:50

I just finished re-reading Doris Day - Her Own Story. James Garner had such wonderful things to say about Doris. It sounded like they could have gotten together on a personal level if they both had been unattached.

Some of the things he said -- I remeber the first time I saw her on the screen. I was just a regular moviegoer then, hadn't turned to acting yet, and here was this new girl, Doris Day, on a train with Dennis Morgan and Jack Carson, singing a song, and I looked at her and said to myself, "Oh, God, isn't that beautiful, and listsen to that voice!" Then I went into one of those quick fantasies involved with how sexy she was, but I yanked myself out of it in a hurry because she was on a high level where, God, you wouldn't dare mention it to her, you wouldn't want to make a pass because you might spoil the whole thing and get her upset. But, poor Doris, that's one of the crosses she's got to bear --this business of men who are turned on by her but back away becuase of her image. I'm sure that's why she's without a fellow today. Men are afraid to make a move at her.
It's a damn shame, because in Doris one of God's great natural resources is going to waste, I've had to play love scenes with a lot of screen ladies, but of all the women I've had to be intimate with on the screen, I'd rate two as sexiest by far --Doris and Julie Andrews, both of them notorious girls next door. Playing a love scene with either of them is duck soup because they communicate something sexy which means I also let myself go somewhat and that really makes a love scene work.
The cliche thing to say about a movie love scene is that its just a mechanical thing-- you sit in front of the camera and kiss the girl and the whistle blows and you to home and never give it another thought. Well, thas useful propaganda for the wives at home,but, the fact of the matter is that with Doris,one hundred grips or not, there was always somthing there and I must admit that if I had not been married I would have tried to carry forward, after hours, where we left off on the sound stage.

He sounded quite smitten with her - on and off the screen. They looked good together and were so wonderful together in their movies.
Don't you think ?

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 29 Jul 2007, 11:08

Toni, I totally agree Jimmy Garner and Doris certainly had a lot of chemistry together.
I rated this film as excellent, it's another one of my favourites! I have so many :wink:

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 29 Jul 2007, 14:28

Of course - how could you go wrong with James Garner ?? Young or old - he's just a cutie !

We cannot change the cards we are dealt - just how we play the hand --- Randy Pausch

Sheila

The Thrill Of It All.

Unread post by Sheila » 30 Jul 2007, 02:22

Yes definitely a real cutie!
:wink:

puck
Honorary Member

Unread post by puck » 30 Jul 2007, 05:39

I'm agree she is funny and a brilliant great comic actress, she is playing comic scenes bettter than any other actress, and James Garner, well he was great with Doris, and they did make the movie, one of my favorite.
ImageImageImageImage
Puck

Sheila

Unread post by Sheila » 30 Jul 2007, 08:18

Fantastic photos Puck. Thanks for sharing :wink:

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam » 30 Jul 2007, 23:52

James Garner...simply the best!
Image Image

I'm with you Sheila and Toni....absolutely loved "Thrill Of It All" and "Move Over Darling."

One of my close college roommates, who I get together with, came from Carmel. She went to a golf tournament in Carmel, that had celebrities playing on the opening day. James Garner, who was one of the celebs playing in the tourney, was having lunch with Doris Day, Clint Eastwood, and a member of the club. She told me that one could see the affection that Doris and Jimmy(As Doris called him)had for each other.....Lots of laughter between the two ~

Thanks Puck, and everyone, for those great photos!

Pam~

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 » 31 Jul 2007, 05:27

That is great Pam, any idea when this would have been?

Pam
Honorary Member

Unread post by Pam » 31 Jul 2007, 09:52

My college roommate told me that it was in 1982. She and her dad went to the golfing event.

"K" (Roomie) had invited the three of us to visit her in Carmel in 2003. She and her husband would visit her Aunt, who still lived there in the valley. All her other family members have moved away, or passed away. We all stayed at her aunt's lovely home. Sadly, her aunt passed away in 2005. We all had a wonderful, and fun filled visit to Carmel that year.

Pam~

dayniac
Honorary Member

Unread post by dayniac » 31 Jul 2007, 18:57

Pam -- That's a neat story. They have an obvious affection for each other- and - they made a such a great movie couple. They looked like they could have been married.