Doris Speaks!

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Re: Doris Speaks!

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

howard wrote:Doesn't she sound wonderful? Much younger than her years. Makes me happy to hear her sounding so good. About the horses: her emotional plea was certainly heartfelt .. when I hear her talk about such things, I know that she has done what she was destined to do. I've sent messages to my Congressional reps, and I hope all you guys are doing the same ... for the horses ... for Doris!

Amen!

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by ray »

Like the picture of Doris with the horse on her website, never saw that one before. She does sound chipper and boy did she love those chocolates :!:

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

She sounds fab, agree Howard, so much younger than her years. I think it is this passion for her causes that helps keep her so young.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

If i ate all that candy I would break out even at my age :o

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

ray wrote:Like the picture of Doris with the horse on her website, never saw that one before. She does sound chipper and boy did she love those chocolates :!:

LOL @ Ray!
Now we know she loves british tea and chocolates, and quilts! (and doggies and horsies too)

DayDreamer
Forum Friend

Unread post by DayDreamer »

Some very, very nice words about the fanmail and gifts. It's also wonderful that she does so much to help the animals and that she stands up for their rights. However, it would be much better if Doris (and everyone else) just stopped eating meat. Pigs, cows and chickens may not be as gracious as horses, but they are still living beings that are capable of experiencing pain and fear. Pigs are even among the smartest species on the planet. Of course I can understand why people choose to eat meat and I know I feel different about animals than most people do, but I hope that someday the animals on farms will at least be treated better. Not as production units, but as living beings.

Again, I truly appreciate Doris' appeal for the horses. Her love for animals is one of the reasons why I admire her so much.
Would you please get off this line!

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

I have read where Doris Day is a vegetarian, her name is always included in the annual "Meat Out" event. It's an event that advocates vegetarian and giving up meat for at least that one day. Meatless Mondays is another one.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

As far as I know, Ms Day is not a vegetarian. Years ago, 1999 to be exact, I had the pleasure of dining with her, and she most definitely was not a vegetarian. Sometimes you see her listed as such, but people just seem to make that assumption.
Like Irene Dunne done.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Unread post by Doris Martin »

howard wrote:As far as I know, Ms Day is not a vegetarian. Years ago, 1999 to be exact, I had the pleasure of dining with her, and she most definitely was not a vegetarian. Sometimes you see her listed as such, but people just seem to make that assumption.
you lucky boy...eating with her...

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Doris Martin wrote:
howard wrote:As far as I know, Ms Day is not a vegetarian. Years ago, 1999 to be exact, I had the pleasure of dining with her, and she most definitely was not a vegetarian. Sometimes you see her listed as such, but people just seem to make that assumption.
you lucky boy...eating with her...
I wasn't vegetarian back in 1999 but I am now, I'm pretty sure that she is a vegetarian, not vegan however. I read one article where she was starting to limit meat in her diet, then started reading articles that mentioned she is now vegetarian, of course, that always can change, look at Alicia Silverstone, we all can have relapses. I advocate limiting animal products, but don't preach it to others, nothing worse then shoving ones choices down anothers throat! hehe

http://www.happycow.net/famous/doris_day/

Many present-time artists are also vegetarians. Fiona Apple has been a vegetarian for over a decade, while Christina Applegate and Pamela Anderson became vegetarians after joining forces with the PETA Foundation (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). In fact, many actors and actresses that are vegetarians have been somehow associated with animal protection agencies. Paul McCartney and his late wife Linda were involved in numerous animal charities, while Doris Day runs the Doris Day Animal League. Brigitte Bardot, the French sex symbol, produced a series of documentaries in the 1980s, with one episode completely dedicated to the issue of being a vegetarian.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

I've only read this, so take it for what it's worth. DD tried vegetarianism in the late 70s. But being a food lover of the highest order, she just couldn't hack it for long!
Like Irene Dunne done.

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

When I was with her she had ordered meat.

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Thanks Howard! We should check out her cart at safeway! haha

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico »

I know Mary Tyler Moore said in her book that she didn't eat anything with a face, but for health reasons, I think she has given in some such as eating fish.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

Just returned from Carmel and the Cyrpus Inn, a place all DD fans MUST visit. It is so homey, and the people are wonderful. I just missed a call from Doris...check sampod4u.com for the details...but i am hoping to hear from her sometime this week (keep your fingers crossed for me).
Everyone I spoke to in Carmel, and in Hollywood, loved this lady like we do. Our tour guide for Hollywood said he met her many times, and he had nothing but praise for her...OF COURSE!

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico »

Doris speaks once again. Oh, it is always so great to hear sounding so happy! She makes my day, year, etc.
She is still giddy from her birthday bash and still enjoying the letters, so be sure to listen!

HilB126
Forum Friend

Unread post by HilB126 »

Every time we hear a new message I thank the big man above. It fills my heart to hear her sounding so well. I can't believe how lucky we are that she spoils us with messages every couple of months or so!

The puppy sounds so adorable! The little 'woo woo' sounds so funny!

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Squirrely Jackson sounds so adorable, as does Doris. Woo Woo and toodaloo!

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

She sounds just wonderful and she is, isn't she?

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

Jas1 wrote:She sounds just wonderful and she is, isn't she?
YES SHE IS /////

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

I loves me sum Doris Day!

daybyday08
Honorary Member

Unread post by daybyday08 »

Such a great new message!!! I love Squirrley!!
It's a wonderful day for Doris Day <3
- Dominique

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico »

I wish I could eat like Doris does too; she makes everything sound so good. Me, I seem to be allergic to food, even chocolate, I can't gain an ounce.

mikeydv
Music Master

Unread post by mikeydv »

We were so happy at www.sampod4u.com to receive a message for all her fans, which we posted on the HAPPY BIRTHDAY page. It is still available for a listen throughout the month of April. She doesn't only sound wonderful; she is wonderful.

Doris Martin
Honorary Member

mikeydv wrote:We were so happy at http://www.sampod4u.com to receive a message for all her fans, which we posted on the HAPPY BIRTHDAY page. It is still available for a listen throughout the month of April. She doesn't only sound wonderful; she is wonderful.
Yes she really is wonderful