SMALL TALK

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

SMALL TALK

Unread post by webmaster »

A general discussion about Doris and anything else you want to talk about. (We moved our earlier one to the member's section for reasons of confidentiality, so let's start again.)

Here's a song I like to get us going. :)

Fats Waller - By The Light Of The Silvery Moon:

Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Re: SMALL TALK

Unread post by ray »

Doris always wanted to look, sing and act like me!!!!! Ha, now i have gone totally MAD!LOL! When I did dance with Doris which will be twenty years ago next October she didn't talk at all during the dance. She was probably miffed I cut in on her dance with the owner of the Quail Lodge. With all her faults I Love her still, as the song goes! :roll:

webmaster

We'll have to dig out the video clip where you cut in, Ray - I remember seeing it and noticed how you were (suddenly) dancing with Doris. :lol: I'm sure she didn't mind, she's used to the fans behaviour!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Here I am back to Murder She Wrote! In the fourth season of the Doris Day Show she did a mini Murder She Wrote with Charles Nelson Rieley as the Santa killler. Murder She Wrote must have had Doris in mind down to the bike riding. Angelia did a great job with it but Doris would have excelled. Angelia did not mind being filmed on screen showing her age and even made it look attractive.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Its me again! Guess I missed the forum! Being on a fixed income I was always leary of rich republicans. Don't know what to think of Clint Eastwood's appearance for the party. The party should not be the issue with a tug of war between them. I think Doris is wise to keep silent about politics. Doris can remember singing for her supper and struggles to make ends meet. We have to get back to jobs and the houseing agenda along with care for all, the young, the old and the in between. We will always have hope and positive thinking as Doris has demonstrated so many times in her life.

webmaster

I was a bit shocked to see Clint Eastwood endorsing one of the leaders of a cult religion for President - the Christian fundamentalists are bad enough. I lost a bit of respect for him, I must admit. I might have overlooked the Mormon angle if Romney was more human. I can't see him beating Obama somehow - but I get the impression that many people are against Obama in the US - mostly, apparently, white males - I wonder why that is? :wink:

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

I am neither Democrat or Republican. I have my own personal libertarian views. However, in my opinion, Clint Eastwood was the only one who had the GUTS to say the President was not doing his job. He was speaking to the empty chair in his speech...an empty chair for the past 3.5 plus years. When he won the office of President, I wanted him to succeed as I was sick and tired of the Bush regime...the war mongers. However, much hasn't changed and it IS getting worse.

It's time to move on and give the other guy a try (he too could be another "puppet") my God, we cannot continue on this financial downward spiral any longer.

I know for a fact that there are many "conservative, God loving" people on this forum, myself included. And, Doris is very much a conservative in her political views too. And yes...she is wise to keep her views to herself as expressing them could hurt her animal foundation. That is what matters to her most and we all respect her for that, right?

Getting into this topic is sticky wouldn't you say? I am so sick of everyone bashing each other for their political views. The Chic-Fil-A debacle....a man who chooses to put his money where he deems it appropriate is bashed, scorned, boycotted, etc. and he is targeted for giving to hate groups. This is crazy! Still America I think...not yet AmeriKa. He is entitled to do as he pleases with his charitable giving, the same as any other group.

We can't base our votes on the social issues, GLBT rights, abortion rights, etc. These rights have been there and will not go away. We must look at the economy...without a thriving economy, we might all be forced to live off the Government dole...and what they give us they can just as easily take away.
"To err is human -- to forgive is canine" Unknown

Daisy June

Unread post by Daisy June »

I'm independent. I do agree with Dianne on this matter.
We definitely need a change. I don't like to talk politics because it seems to upset people.
There has been no "HOPE or CHANGE" in 4 years and it's time to see if someone else can help America because it's in bad shape. The politcians in Washington have really screwed things up the last 4 years. Who knows if it will be better in another 4 years but this President has had his chance and there has been no change....it worse than ever.
I really don't think religion has anything to do with who is running the country. If he can turn the U.S. around that's all that counts. That's all I have to say on this matter.

webmaster

Most Presidents do a second term - you elected Bush for a second term, Clinton, etc - is Obama really any worse than them? I think he's trying to do his best but isn't getting much support, particularly from the Republican party in Washington. Obama, like our Prime Minister, took over at a time of near economic meltdown, which is going to take more than four years to fix - but people here aren't blaming David Cameron because of the financial crisis. Some people don't like a lot of his policies, but that's 'democracy'.

But what's very different about our political systems is that, over here, religion doesn't come in to it (thank God! :) ). There are no religious groups vying for political power. We are a secular society and while people can and do believe what they want, and no doubt vote accordingly, there is no pressure on politicians to talk about their beliefs and, as Alastair Campbell, Blair's press secretary, famously replied to a journalist asking about Blair's reported interest in becoming a Catholic, "We don't do God".

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

To change the subject a little. Our friend Mike had the privilege to see Doris sing live in 1945, which is dare to say more exciting then even seeing Streisand sing live in many ways. In the late eighties I was writing to a man that also saw Doris sing live but can't remember his name. He lived near Atlantic City and took ill and died. I think his name was Joe. It pains me that I can't recall his name because he loved Doris so much and was a nice man. Wonder if Mike would know or anyone else on the forum. I am getting senile!LOL We wrote in 1987 thru 1989 because he saw my story bout Doris in Hollywood Studio magazine.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the mix - I am hoping for a change in our government in November - we are NOT better off now than we were in 2008. Go see "2016 The Movie" and decide for yourself...and I did enjoy Clint's time at the podium - he hit the nail on the head...saying, "If you are not doing a good job, it is time to go." Regarding all the Hope and Change hype from 2008, now in 2012, I am hoping for a change! The good numbers have done down and the bad numbers have gone up. We need to look out for our people and our country. OK, I am off my soap box now.
"The BEST is yet to come."

webmaster

All the Republicans are coming out of the woodwork! :twisted:

Aren't there ANY democrats/lefties on this board? Or are the majority of DD's fans right-wing - sorry, 'conservative'?

I suddenly feel very alone on the Doris Day forum! :cry:

Ken
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ken »

Clint was a BIG joke!!!!

webmaster

He-he.

(The joke was on him though! :lol: )

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

It won't make Clint's day when they take his social security away :o But then he doesn't need it :!:

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

Bryan, You're not alone. I've mostly not always voted democrat. I find Romney very scary. I'm from Massachusetts and had him as governor. He only served one term. We couldn't wait for him to leave. Speaking with others from my area this past weekend everyone seems to agree that they're not thrilled with Obama but are too afraid of Romney after having him as governor. We'll just have to see what happens in November. On the bright side for everyone only 8 more weeks of these incessant political ads!

webmaster

That's interesting, JM. Perhaps it will be a warning to people who feel "Better the Devil you don't know, than the Devil you know". Okay, Obama hasn't delivered on his promise on change what looks like, to outsiders, a corrupt political system in the US: power is in the hands of big business, special interest groups and 'money' generally and not where it should be, with the people. We have some of that here but not on such a scale.

(I hope people will take this in the spirit of 'knockabout politics' and not take people's political views personally.)

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico »

What I see in Romney is a person with morals and principles which we don't have in the white house now. If God is on our side who can be against us.

webmaster

Who is God, though? And how can you be sure he (?) is on your side?

I thought a Christian principle was to 'judge not, yet you be judged' - you're saying Obama has no morals or principles, what is your evidence for that judgement? Or the one that Romney has both?

Just curious...

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico »

You're scaring me now! Obama morals can be seen through his policies on marriage, abortion, Reverend Wright, etc. As a Christian, I want Christian principles in our leadership and pray that too will see the light. Romney's life is a testament to his morality: his family, his marriage, his church family, his missionary work.

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

webmaster wrote:Who is God, though? And how can you be sure he (?) is on your side?

I thought a Christian principle was to 'judge not, yet you be judged' - you're saying Obama has no morals or principles, what is your evidence for that judgement? Or the one that Romney has both?

Just curious...
It is faith Bryan. And your quote "judge not lest ye be judge"...to me, that is a statement to shame someone with differing views? No offense Bryan, but that is the most quoted bible verse when someone disagrees with another. Let's not forget the one "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" SO, to each his own. To me God and country go together. I could cite various statements, events, etc. to support my vote "against" President Obama, but no one wants to hear it. People have already made up their minds for various reasons who they will be voting for. For the record, I think many who are voting for Romney may just be voting against Obama. Just like the last election, was McCain REALLY the best the country had to offer? I think not.

Hey you started this :shock:

Dianne
Forum Friend

Unread post by Dianne »

Calico wrote:You're scaring me now! Obama morals can be seen through his policies on marriage, abortion, Reverend Wright, etc. As a Christian, I want Christian principles in our leadership and pray that too will see the light. Romney's life is a testament to his morality: his family, his marriage, his church family, his missionary work.
You are SO right Calico!

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico »

Nice to meet another Christian Dianne. This election is so important. I hope people wake up!

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

In MA we didn't care about Romney's religion. That shouldn't matter. And I'm sure he's a good husband and father as I'm sure Obama is. At least they appear to be. What we didn't like were his stances on the issues of women's rights, labor unions, public safety, raising taxes on the middle class, and especially universal health care. MA is where it all started and it was the Governor who authored and vehemently advocated the legislature to approve the bill. No matter which side we're on, we should be voting on our personal stances about the issues not religion. We seem to be so polarized these days. I wish we could get back to meeting in the middle. Where's Ronnie Reagan and Tip O'Neill when you need them!

Calico
Forum Friend

Unread post by Calico »

As a Christian, it is how I live my life, it cannot be taken out.