Polly Bergen passes away!

Introduce yourself - Other topics - What's on your mind?

Toby_Martin
Forum Friend

Re: Polly Bergen passes away!

Unread post by Toby_Martin »

So sad to hear. I loved Move Over Darling, the Swedish massage scene was priceless.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

RIP Miss Bergen, she had lovely things to say about Doris on the dvd extra for Move Over Darling.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

I was always impressed by her commitment to each and every role.

She held her own against the frightening Robert Mitchum in the original Cape Fear and then she made the thankless role of neurotic Bianca in MOD quite amusing. Some may have accused her of over-acting in The Caretakers, but with Joan Crawford, Janis Paige and Robert Stack in the cast, you couldn't blame her for pulling out all the stops. I had the pleasure of seeing her on stage in the 2002 revival of Cabaret at Studio 54 and marveled at how wonderful she was. She seemed so grateful to be part of that production and I was thrilled for her. Polly is another multi-talented performer who carved out an enduring career in film, television and on stage, and she was among the most successful entrepreneurs in show business.

I shall miss her.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Who can forget Polly Bergen in the hilarious opening courtroom scenes in Move Over Darling? ? Her bracelets were banging and rattling and irritating the judge to no end. She was the perfect foil for Doris. The massage scene is vividly funny.

I read an interview of Polly's where she stated that Doris Day was the kindest and most considerate star she had ever had the pleasure of working with in a picture. She also had kind words to say about James Garner.

Polly did a great job in the Helen Morgan story. A great lady!
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by Musiclover »

During the filming of MOD, I recall seeing a little blurb in the entertainment section of the L.A. Times that had to do with Polly Bergen going to a Dodgers baseball game as a guest of the Melchers one evening. Polly remarked that she was so impressed that Doris could often stay out late at the ball games and still come to work early the next morning with her lines learned already. (Guess that impressed me, too, 'cuz I still remember her comment.)