News, Events and Comment

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
jmichael
Honorary Member

Re: News, Events and Comment

Unread post by jmichael »

I got a kick out of seeing this story make Deadline Hollywood. It proves again that Doris has a following and that people beyond her fan base have not forgotten her. Her talent and her dedication to the four leggers will keep her legacy alive for a long, long time. Talent always trumps tabloid journalism.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Agree Michael - that is [one] of the points i was making in an earlier post- to still generate such a buzz surely must be somewhat of a kick for the lady herself, it is for many of her friends and fans, such as myself.

ray
I danced with Doris!
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by ray »

This rumor was even mentioned on the Today Show this morning. Doris is gone but certainly not forgotten. Also on People.com. Wow this has gone sonic in three days!

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Only Doris can make news for not making a movie.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

ray wrote:Only Doris can make news for not making a movie.
Well said, Ray.

I'm seeing several entertainment sites post her denial now that DH published the official communique from her publicist. One other plus - this is bringing the DDAF into the spotlight, which is a good thing.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Bless the animals for keeping Doris in the spotlight:)

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Wouldn't that online US edition of The Guardian be using the "other" (earlier) Doris Day in the video clip from 1941?

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Don't know what you mean Dave? But without Doris's tremendous movie career there wouldn't be a Doris Day Animal Foundation today. I am sure Doris is grateful for that.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris 's last movie was 47 years ago! No wonder she is not interested. That's almost a lifetime.

doris-day-fan
Honorary Member

Unread post by doris-day-fan »

Yes, I kept getting all the Google Alerts - much ado about nothing. Knew there was no way Doris would consider reappearing for a movie - she is smart - we remember how she was and for all the love she gives and all the work she has done for the animals. Maybe Clint needed to get his name in the news??? Oh well, it was interesting to see the flurry of reports from so many sources - just goes to show that out of sight is NOT out of mind. God bless Doris Day!

Mary Anne
"The BEST is yet to come."

dave
Honorary Member

Unread post by dave »

Here's what I mean..
On 22 Sept (at 16:11 hours) Bryan posted 3 links regarding the Clint Eastwood "news"
The FIRST one (US online edition of the Guardian) includes Doris Day 3rd-billed in a 1941 movie.
But you have to click on the link to see the clip of:
the OTHER Doris Day, the earlier one (who has been discussed on this forum.. years ago)

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Beware horrible Globe cover story again!!! Saw the cover online. They are monsters!!

JMoore

Unread post by JMoore »

What does the Globe have to say?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Here is a Friday Doris story that I hope will make you smile. Yesterday, while I was watching Pope Francis speak to Congress with a good friend who is also a Doris Day admire, Pope Francis mentioned four great people who were inspirations to him. The first person was Abraham Lincoln, the second was Martin Luther King, the third person was Dorothy Day and the fourth person was Thomas Merton. My friend jumped up excitedly and yelled, Pope Francis is inspired by Doris Day!

We listened to the report again and of course pope Francis said, Dorothy Day.

I am sure if Pope Francis knew about Doris's work with animals he would admire her as we all do.
Johnny

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

What a kick! Thanks for sharing that story.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

This current Globe tabloid story is old and boreing. Same pictures and story. They have been killing Doris off for the past ten years. Doris is no dope she keeps certain people at bay for good reasons we will never know why. Doris may be alone but rich which makes it easier, she has a world of fans that Love her so she is never alone.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

I am so glad Doris is financially secure - that makes things a lot easier - especially for stars - so they do not have to work for the money! From what I have read the likes of Ava Gardner struggled at the end - being forced to write memoirs for the money and forced to do television and other work - again, for the money.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Doris's millions is going to the animals! I am going to start barking :o

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Let's move on...

Interesting story about Doris finding faith, what it was like for her having early film success without a partner, meeting Martin Melcher, etc - from 1958.

https://www.guideposts.org/inspiration/ ... y-in-faith
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Interesting article Bryan- Doris still lives in the now, not tomorrow, not the past, that is so wise.

Interesting too that this 1958 article bypasses a 2nd marriage entirely, even more strange, in that "John" is really "George" - the 2nd husband who introduced Doris [in the late 40s] to Christian Science.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

When this article was published, George's career as a saxophonist with Stan Kenton's orchestra had ended, but he was still working in the music industry. He and his two brothers had made some recordings for the Capitol label, and now they had begun their own record producing company in Hollywood. Since Doris mentioned "John's" drinking excesses more than once in this article, I think it was probably wise (and also thoughtful) not to be too specific by using George's real name.

webmaster

Unread post by webmaster »

Yes, that makes a lot of sense - George Weidler rather than 'John' - below with Doris and Les Brown, first one dated 1947, but could have been 1948?

The other thing I spotted, below - 'after a number of movies, in 1948'. She only made one in '48, didn't she?

"Well, after a number of movies, there I was in 1948 with all that a successful movie career meant, and floundering—until I met Marty Melcher" - Doris Day
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Just wanna say Bryan, you deserve all the ohhh and arrrr in the world with what you do with this site. I can be a pain at times but I do care and worry about our Do Do. I can remember being on this site the first time around 2000. There was someone on here from Hollywood Florida then who I wanted to meet but haven't seen him on here in years. We were going to chat about Doris for hours if we did meet up.

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Doris filmed My Dream is Yours and It's a Great Feeling in 1948.

My guess on the larger photo above is not 1948; probably sometime in 1946 or very early 1947. Weidler just turned 20 when he and Doris were married in the spring of 1946, and he looks not much older than that here. Also, she had the same hairstyle when she recorded her first solo album in February, 1947. She left Les Brown's band in the fall of 1946, and Weidler was with Stan Kenton's band from 1947 to at least 1950, so it seems improbable that they would've been photographed with Brown in 1948.

By the way, if anyone would like to hear Weidler's prowess as a musician, search for "Kenton Elegy for Alto" on Youtube. The entire alto sax performance is his, recorded in 1950.

ray
I danced with Doris!

Unread post by ray »

Thirty years ago tomorrow Rock Hudson died. We were all impacted with his death as well as Doris as we all know, Fate brought them together one last loving time.