Doris Day Personal Christmas Collection -Compilation-1994

Talking about and listening to Doris Day, the singer.
Johnny
Honorary Member

Doris Day Personal Christmas Collection -Compilation-1994

Unread post by Johnny » 27 Nov 2015, 20:24

The tradition of hanging the Christmas holly wreath on the front door was initiated today. The Doris Day Personal Christmas Collection music played while putting up the decorations. It made the day very special.

The first track is The Christmas song which was originally recorded in August 1946 with Les Brown and his orchestra. the second song is the beautiful Silver Bells. The orchestra is conducted by George Siravo and there is the accompaniment of the wonderful Norman Luboff choir. It is a glorious piece of music. The third track is Here Comes Santa Clause which was recorded on July 1, 1949. It is a cover of cowboy. Gene Autry's huge hit. The fourth song is the fun Old Saint Nichols. It was written by Inez James and Buddy Pepper. They had a big 1953 hit called Vaya con Dias. They also wrote Pillow Talk for Doris' 1959 film of the same name. The fifth song is The Christmas Story with the Paul Weston orchestra and the Norman Luboff Choir.

The remaining ten songs are with Pete King and his orchestra. They are Have Yourself A merry Little Christmas which was recorded by Doris on June 16, 1964. The beautiful and unforgettable I'll Be Home For Christmas is next followed by my personal favourite, Be A Child At Christmas Time. The ninth song is Toyland that is so meaningful and bittersweet. I have never heard anyone other than Doris Day sing this song with such an incredible depth of feeling.

The tenth song is The Christmas Present and the eleventh is The Christmas Waltz. The glorious Winter Wonderland follows and then the magical snowfall. The fourteenth song is White Christmas. I think eve3ryone on the planet has heard this song. Bing Crosby's name always comes to mind but when you hear Doris sing White Christmas , you will only think of her. The last song on the album is Let It Snow, Let It Snow Let It Snow.

An interesting note is that in 1959 Doris was to record a Christmas album with Frank De Vol, one of her favourite arrangers and conductors. The tracks for the song were laid out in July 1959 but Doris' vocals were never recorded and the album became lost forever. Some of the songs that were to be on the album were , It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, The Secret Of Christmas, The First Noel, It's Beginning To Look Like Christmas and The Christmas Song.
Johnny

Peter Flapper
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Personal Christmas Collection -Compilation-1994

Unread post by Peter Flapper » 29 Nov 2015, 04:09

Hi Johnny,

From the never released album of 1959 only: "Deck The Halls" is recorded and released. It's a fun version.
Love Doris Christmas album, it Always brings me in the mood.

Thanks for sharing your information.

P