Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

The Doris Day Web Forum - an unofficial forum for fans of Doris Day.
Forum rules
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Jas1
Honorary Member

Re: Doris Day Forum Banners 2017

Unread post by Jas1 »

MA- that pic is not Biggest- it is Vladimir - or whoever played him in the film. :oops:

jmichael
Honorary Member

Unread post by jmichael »

Jas1 wrote:
23 May 2017, 05:32
MA- that pic is not Biggest- it is Vladimir - or whoever played him in the film. :oops:
James is correct. This is the shot of her in bed with her fictional dog, Vladimir, from GBB. If you recall, this scene set-up the mistaken notion by Paul Lynde that Jenny / Doris was jumping into bed with a Russian cohort. The photo has nothing to do with real life.

Michael
Michael H

"There's nothing in my bedroom that bothers me."

webmaster
Spam Prevention: Yes

Unread post by webmaster »

Thanks all. Last look at The Glass Bottom Boat:

P.S. Great post on Glass Bottom Boat earlier, Michael - thank you. 8)
Follow Remembering Doris Day: https://twitter.com/DayRemembering

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

Fabulous banner- that is one of the funniest and sexiest scenes in Glass Bottom Boat- love how Doris looks [looking up with those big wonderful sensual eyes] - in her sexy dress, shoes, it all works, and it is so very funny.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Thanks Bryan for the insightful and thoughtful quote from Rod Taylor on working with Doris.

I think you and the members of this forum understand how Doris brings out the best in people by virtue of her kind, respectful and authentic self both as an artist and her philosophy in living life well.

Doris makes this world a better place for us all.
Johnny

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

Hello everyone and thank you all for your kind words and well wishes for my dad. He is doing well and recovering nicely. I love these beautiful banners of Doris and The Glass Bottom Boat. One of my favorite Doris films. I just cant help but say this again, but I just love Doris and every film she is in. The role she plays in every movie, I am convinced, no one else could play them the way Doris does. She brings so much grace and class to everything she does whether it is acting, singing, dancing or being the wonderful animal activist that she has devoted her life to. Doris is a living legend and a positive role model to people of all ages. She is an inspiration because when times are tough she always bounces back with an even deeper conviction to do bigger and better things. I love ❤ Doris!

Tybear

webmaster

Thank you all for your comments. :)

On to Best Film No 8: With Six You Get Eggroll:

What do you think?

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

With Six You Get Eggroll was the last opportunity to see Doris Day in a new film in a movie theater on the big silver screen. It was a sweet experience and now a treasured memory.Perhaps this is the reason forum fans voted it in the top ten.

Midnight Lace, Lover Come Back, Move Over Darling and That Touch Of Mink were incredibly popular films with Doris' audience. Perhaps it is the emotional memories that resonate with forum fans that put With Six You Get Eggroll in eight position.

It would be interesting to have a yearly vote on the top 10 Doris films to see what changes, if any, occur. An annual vote may capture the preferences of new forum members.

Thank you so much Bryan for bringing this topic back and all your work. It is an enjoyable experience.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

I have mixed feelings about this movie. It gave Doris an interesting character to play, a working mother and widow who ran a family owned lumberyard business. She was more mature and closer in age to Doris' real age. The direction, writing and supporting cast were solid, but the production felt more like a high-end, extended sitcom to me. I always enjoyed the glamorous urban settings and sophistication of her earlier comedies, but this movie was folksier and decidedly suburban. That being said, there is a lot to like, mainly the strong chemistry between Doris and Brian Keith. They were a charming couple and both had easy going, natural acting styles that made them a joy to watch. I believed them as a romantic duo.

One thing I didn't like was the climactic car chase / jailhouse sequence near the end. It was overdone and not that funny. But this was a far better bookend to her film career than the likes of Josie or WWYWTLWO.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

Another nice banner. There's so much about this film that I like, not the least of which is the great chemistry Doris and Brian Keith had together. Maybe it was hereditary; her chemistry with Keith's father in Love Me or Leave Me and in Young at Heart was very good, too.

Jas1
Honorary Member

Unread post by Jas1 »

This is my fav look [from the film] of Doris - I agree Michael re- your observations and particularly about Doris' fabulous under-played acting in it.

I also think that in the first year of her TV show- [parking a lot of other issues] Doris did some of the best low key/ under-played acting of her career- so natural , very skilled.

howard
Special Contributer

Unread post by howard »

Michael, although I liked WSYGE more than you, I have to agree about that prolonged car chase at the end. It went on and on, and there was nothing funny about it!
Like Irene Dunne done.

webmaster

Doris Day's Best Films No 9 - a joint win:

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Lover Come Back and That Touch Of Mink are two joyous Doris Day films that deserve to be on the top 10 list.

It is interesting watching the chemistry between Doris and film legend,Cary Grant. There is an emotional reserve with Grant that plays out like a romantic puzzle that he and Doris have to solve. I am glad they had the chance to work together.

With Rock Hudson there is an immediate romantic attraction between he and Doris that jumps off the screen. It is magic. It is a true pleasure seeing them on screen together.
Johnny

Ania
Honorary Member

Unread post by Ania »

Brian as always a wonderful banner LOVE IT!

Ania
I LOVE YOU DORIS♥

“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Ania YouTube

jmichael
Honorary Member

Ummmmmm....

Unless my eyes are failing me, isn't Move Over, Darling ahead of That Touch Of Mink in the voting?

Michael
Michael H

webmaster

I got the figures from a couple of months ago, Michael, when I first thought of making it a banner series, so it might have changed - but I'll stick with the figures I recorded at the time, otherwise it will take forever.

jmichael
Honorary Member

Lover Come Back is up there with Pillow Talk as one of her brightest and most sophisticated romantic comedies. I love the satire of Madison Avenue and how the film skewers the cutthroat maneuvers of ad exec's who will do anything to land an account. Doris and Rock are amazing together. Tony Randall almost steals the movie. He is even better here than he was in PT. Edie Adams, Jack Oakie, Jack Kruschen and Ann B Davis lend terrific support. The only drawbacks are that Doris and Tony have no scenes together and the plot pretty much copies the mistaken identity / wolf-in-sheep's clothing hook that make PT so funny. All in all, LCB was a worthy follow-up to PT and it gave Doris another opportunity to demonstrate that she was light years away from the featherweight musicals of her WB years.

I don't have much to say about That Touch Of Mink. It was wonderful to see Doris star opposite the great Cary Grant, but the script was a disappointment to me. Aside from a few funny moments here and there, mostly from Gig Young who is priceless, the film just never took off. It felt strained and there was a noticeable lack of zip to the pacing. Sadly, Doris and Cary - as wonderful as they both are - did not have much chemistry together onscreen. I do love the supporting cast though. In addition to Gig Young, Audrey Meadows landed a few choice zingers and John Astin was convincing as a slimy creep. It's most unfortunate that this film became the one that pinned the eternal virgin label on Doris.

Michael
Michael H

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

Michael, I agree with many of your observations on That Touch Of Mink. Cary Grant's character shows a certain kind of condescension towards Doris' working class character Cathy that is bothersome.

Delbert Mann directed both Lover Come Back and That Touch of Mink. He was able to capture the energy of New York that was the location for both films. I loved the rainy day New York streets opening of That Touch Of Mink with Doris holding a newspaper over her head.

Stanley Shapiro and Paul Henning wrote the screenplay for LCB and Shapiro with Nate Monaster wrote the screenplay for TTOM. Shapiro also participated in the writing of the screenplay for Pillow Talk with Maurice Richlin.

Cary Grant's concern about being twenty years older than Doris caused him some reluctance to
accept the role in being Doris' love interest in That Touch Of Mink. Perhaps this reserve is what interfered with the chemistry. I think it would have been interesting to see Glenn Ford, Gregory Peck or Jack Lemmon in the Cary Grant role and the impact on the film.
Johnny

jmichael
Honorary Member

Thanks Johnny.

As you pointed out, several key players from LCB were part of the creative team behind TTOM but the film never soared the way the Rock Hudson and Jimmy Garner pairings did. TTOM did have several very funny sight gags though: the splashed raincoat that you mentioned, the liquor bottle stuck on Doris' toe, and the hilarious slap that Audrey gave Gig Young at the automat. I wish the "will she or won't she" theme hadn't been the key to the entire storyline. Kinda ruined it for me.

Your comment about Cary having reservations about playing opposite a much younger co-star is very interesting. I wonder if he had gotten over that a year or two later when he starred with Audrey Hepburn in Charade and Leslie Caron in Father Goose.

Michael
Michael H

Musiclover
Special Contributer

Unread post by Musiclover »

I've always found it amusing and ironic that Cary Grant was concerned that he would seem too old to be romancing Doris and, immediately afterward, Audrey Hepburn onscreen. He began wooing Dyan Cannon offscreen while he was shooting TTOM; in her book "Dear Cary," Cannon mentions that she visited him on the set of more than once. It makes me wonder whether the combination of being distracted by her and putting up with Marty Melcher's "meddling," as Grant described it, somehow affected his onscreen chemistry with Doris.

Johnny
Honorary Member

Unread post by Johnny »

That Touch Of Mink received three Academy Award nominations in 1962. They are: Best Writing, Story and Screenplay written directly for the screen- Best Sound- Best Art Direction.

It won the Golden Globe Award for Best Comedy Picture. Cary Grant was nominated for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy.

That Touch Of Mink win the Golden Laurel for top comedy. Doris won the the Top Female Comedy Performance. Cary Grant won for Top Male Comedy Performance. Gig Young won Top Male Supporting Performance.

The Touch Of Mink won the Writers Guild Of America Award for Best Written American Comedy.

Lover Come Back and That Touch Of Mink tied for #3 spot on the annual top moneymaking films of 1962 listed in Film Facts.
Johnny

webmaster

Sincere apologies - was my face red... :oops: As I was doing Film No 10, looking at my notes, I saw plainly, as Michael had tried to tell me:
9. Lover Come Back 4%
Move Over Darling 4% (draw)
So sorry, must have got some kind of film-title dyslexia. That Touch of Mink is much further down the list (1%)

Apologies all!

Reload page if you don't see above image as banner,

Tybear2015
Honorary Member

Unread post by Tybear2015 »

No apologies necessary Bryan, I love all of Doris's movies! She brings class to every story line even the ones we consider to be less desirable. She is the only actress that could do it. She's a beautiful, professional, actress who takes everything she does seriously. She loves her fans and they love her. She's the perfect example of a lady and a role model for all women even young women today. She is truly good at whatever she sets her mind to. She has experienced so much success in her life and so much heartache. She is the most resilient person I know. That's why I love ❤ Doris Day do much.

Tybear

webmaster

I like to try and get things right, Tybear. :) Thanks to Michael for pointing it out.
Anyway back on track again and enjoying the bank holiday sunshine in the UK.
Hope you're all having a good weekend

Move Over Darling - two different views from Doris Day Net:

A huge hit that rescued 20th Century Fox
By Paul Brogan

"When I originally reviewed Move Over, Darling in 2000, I rated it four stars. Having recently watched the film again, I feel it necessary and appropriate to review it again and raise it to five stars! Why? Simple. This fast-paced comedy romp is a delightful mixture of comedy, pathos, slapstick, and heart, delightfully enacted by a talented cast under the skilled direction of Michael Gordon. The end result should have the most dour viewer grinning from ear to ear."
Read more: http://www.dorisday.net/move-over-darling/

Quite frankly, I didn’t like it!
By Ralph McKnight

"I recently saw the original version of My Favorite Wife, starring Irene Dunne, Cary Grant, Randolph Scott and Gail Patrick. Through the years, I have collected practically all of the scenes that Marilyn Monroe filmed for the sequel, Something’s Gotta Give, with Dean Martin and Cyd Charisse and I own the last version, Move Over, Darling starring Doris Day, James Garner, Polly Bergen, Thelma Ritter and Chuck Connors.

Quite frankly, I didn’t like any of them. “Wife” is rather dated and was considered “cute” when it came out to favorable reviews. “Something” was never finished because of an inept Marilyn Monroe who proved once again that she was no professional and ended up getting fired. The script was dusted off a year later, after Marilyn’s death, and Doris Day, the No 1 Box Office Star in the World, stepped in and filmed “Move Over,” without a hitch, and the picture became a big hit but was met with mixed reviews. The director, Michael Gordon, must have put a lot of pressure on his actors to ‘make this one funny’.
Read more: http://www.dorisday.net/move-over-darling/